Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Who Starts: Jimmy Smith Or Corey Graham?

69 posts in this topic

Corey Graham has two interceptions in four games since stepping in for Jimmy Smith.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Who-Starts-Jimmy-Smith-Or-Corey-Graham/6807492a-df0d-4baf-af10-8d08683659b1]View the full article[/url]

Is this even a question? You can't argue with statistics. Graham is putting up numbers and Jimmy Smith, when healthy, is still not living up to his first round billing. He only has three int's in his time here. I frequently see him getting beat, especially on the double move. Let Graham start and make it his job to lose.

Who cares who's better in practice? Gametime is when it counts and Graham has him beat hands down.

[quote name='Yum Chickens' timestamp='1354905517' post='1249018']
Wait he got an interception Sunday? I thought one of them was just at the first Pittsburgh game.
[/quote]

He did and our offense didn't do anything with it...

[quote name='D3x3001' timestamp='1354906020' post='1249024']
Is this even a question? You can't argue with statistics. Graham is putting up numbers and Jimmy Smith, when healthy, is still not living up to his first round billing. He only has three int's in his time here. I frequently see him getting beat, especially on the double move. [b]Let Graham start and make it his job to lose.[/b]
[/quote]

Exactly, Graham has stepped up in game time situations and has earned the right to play...

demote Jimmy, let him know that just because he's a 1st round pick doesn't mean we're scared to play the best players. I think he feels too entitled and needs to start taking this a little more seriously.

@black blood purple passion

Where did you get the notion of entitlement from? Your post sound ridiculous.

But anyway, go with the Webb/Jimmy scenario: Graham starts and move to nickle and Jimmy comes in to get his feet back under him.

[quote name='BR News' timestamp='1354904473' post='1249013']
Corey Graham has two interceptions in four games since stepping in for Jimmy Smith.

[url="http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Who-Starts-Jimmy-Smith-Or-Corey-Graham/6807492a-df0d-4baf-af10-8d08683659b1"]View the full article[/url]
[/quote] Graham is the obvious choice so Harbaugh will start Smith.

Jimmy Smith is a 1st round pick with what I've bee told top 10 talent. He needs to step it up and be the corner we need him to be. Graham is an excellent nickel corner but lets be honest people do you really think he has shutdown potential? The answer to that is no. Our only chance is if Jimmy Smith plays like a 1st round pick down the stretch. #McKinnie for LT. Sorry I have to put that in every post. Only a complete idiot would say Oher and KO are playing well

You play the hot player, Graham. I am not sure how Jimmy plays in the Nickle inside. He has stiff hips. My concern with him is when RG3 extends plays, will he have the discipline to stay home and not get beat for a double move over the top. I think Graham is also a better open field takler which will also make a big difference.

Jimmy had a sports hernia and a pulled groin and y'all shocked we haven't seen his 1st round talent yet. Maybe for the rest of this season he should allow everything shallow and defend the deep pass like so many healthy corners do.

go with the hot hand...as they say...this game coming up is not time for someone to be chasing receivers with their back turned to the ball.

Graham should start but jimmy when healthy should be back on the field brown kinda looked lost last two games. here's hoping he can stay healthy . not the biggest fan of our corners until graham started getting playing time

[quote name='Hardhitters' timestamp='1354908655' post='1249065']
Jimmy had a sports hernia and a pulled groin and y'all shocked we haven't seen his 1st round talent yet. Maybe for the rest of this season he should allow everything shallow and defend the deep pass like so many healthy corners do.
[/quote]

I know this a bit off subject, but is anyone else a little concerned with this injury plagued season? Most occurring early in the season. Who's the conditioning coach and why hasnt he been fired yet?

@a 31fan

Somethings are just out of peoples control, most of the injuries came from heavy contact. Ray arm, Suggs arm, Jimmy being landed on. In a sense our conditioning coach should get a bonus check for having these players back on the field in a timely manner. We lost 3 stars (Ray, Suggs, Webb) and got 2 of them right back. Might have to fire the guy who's in charge of player padding, lol.

But yea I feel where you're coming from.

Graham should start hands down....he has looked alot better than Jimmy Smith....either way they will both be on the field alot....

This seems like a no brainer to me. As talented as Jimmy Smith is, he's coming off of an injury and will not perform to his capabilities yet. No matter how healthy or 100% he is, anybody coming off an injury will not be at top form. Corey Graham, however, has definitely stepped up. Not just because he has 2 picks, but he is a veteran who knows the game and most importantly he is healthy. You go with the guy who has stepped up, proven himself, and is healthy

JImmy smith worries me however maybe now that he is healthy and no playing through pain he can contribute we have to face allot of qb's who like to air it out and any help in the secondary is needed i am glad we are getting some ppl back healthy .

They'll both be on the field when jimmy comes back which is hopefully next week against Denver. We have 3 corners most the time on the field sothis question is pointless if ya ask me

This is a no brain-er if you ask me,Cory has the knowledge of the position and smarts to be the number 1 right now.Jimmy is not ready for the number 1 spot,don't know if he is 100% yet,can't take that risk of him getting torched on a double move again with 4 weeks of important games for us right now.Jimmy,if healthy,should be our nickle back until he gets a better grasp of the number 1 CB spot.

You win positions on the field by performance, not by potential. Smith had the job for a time, but he has to win it back. Graham has out performed him and should be the starter at CB. Smith will get to prove himself in nickel and dime packages. Let's hope he does, because we need him to be what we drafted him to be.

smith will get plenty of snaps when teams run 3 or 4 receivers sets. i just hope he is better now that he is healed

We need better zone practice.

What is zone?: Man coverage while facing the QB, not occupying empty spots as TE's & WR's run pass or behind you. TE's kill our zone, I could too for 2 or 3 plays until I'm tired from no conditioning. Play better zone ball.