38 replies to this topic

#1 JEEPercreepermd

JEEPercreepermd

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

Anybody else here having some serious hockey withdrawl?

It's really a shame that this had to happen, because it seemed like over the past two seasons that there were more and more new fans jumping on the wagon. They were back on a major network (NBC sports) and while I hate the idea of LA being the Stanley Cup champions..at least it wasn't the Devils, and maybe it restored some interest in the pop culture capital of the world.

I mean, they JUST MISSED a season back in 04-05..which begs the question..what did they actually accomplish??

Honestly, I think it's time for some new blood in the NHL driver's seat. Gary Buttman obviously has no clue what he's doing if he can't take what is such an exciting sport, with extremely marketable players and teams to the top. They will never be as big as football, but they can at least compete.

Unlike the NFL, people in cities who's interest in the sport is lukewarm will forget about it. Sure there are other cities like Boston, Philly, Pittsburgh, the Canadhian teams, who will sell out whenever it returns..but the southern and west coast teams will have to struggle mightily to renew interest when they players can finally return.

I've given up hope that they can salvage a season of some sort. This sucks.

But for what it's worth..LET'S GO FLYERS!
"Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it" - Steve Prefontaine

#2 jus'_crAzy

jus'_crAzy

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

It's really a shame that this had to happen, because it seemed like over the past two seasons that there were more and more new fans jumping on the wagon. They were back on a major network (NBC sports) and while I hate the idea of LA being the Stanley Cup champions..at least it wasn't the Devils, and maybe it restored some interest in the pop culture capital of the world.

I mean, they JUST MISSED a season back in 04-05..which begs the question..what did they actually accomplish??

Honestly, I think it's time for some new blood in the NHL driver's seat. Gary Buttman obviously has no clue what he's doing if he can't take what is such an exciting sport, with extremely marketable players and teams to the top. They will never be as big as football, but they can at least compete.

Unlike the NFL, people in cities who's interest in the sport is lukewarm will forget about it. Sure there are other cities like Boston, Philly, Pittsburgh, the Canadhian teams, who will sell out whenever it returns..but the southern and west coast teams will have to struggle mightily to renew interest when they players can finally return.

That's a funny way of spelling "Capitals."

Christmas Eve! That's what I'm betting on.

(OO=[||][||]=OO)  ///M

#3 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,203 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

I normally don't go full hockey mode until after the Ravens are done. But I've been missing hockey. I think about it at least once a day.
Posted Image

#4 bpytnjr58

bpytnjr58

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

At first i did but as the weeks go on i have put Hockey out of my head for the season. One thing is certain...even if the season would start in January it would still be a six month season including the playoffs.

#5 sliceanddic3

sliceanddic3

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

I'm getting more and more worried theres not going to be a season, of course right as the Blues are on the cusp of being a great team, the NHL gets a lockout. I miss my Blues...
Posted Image

Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

Keep calm and stay based. @LILBTHEBASEDGOD

"They already declared war on us… We’re taking 53 men to the apocalypse and we ain’t bringin no flowers with us."
- Terrell Suggs

#6 Ngata Chance

Ngata Chance

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

Iggy and Kipper getting up in age, this lost year really hurts my Flames.

I'm enjoying watching the AHL affiliates play, though. Seeing the young prospects play is great. A glimpse into the future.

"Flacco got a hug from owner Bisciotti after game.. Flacco told him: “that felt good.. That was big”

That seems like it was worded wrong...

#7 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,979 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

I really just enjoy the playoffs so im not too upset. It would suck if the season is cancelled though...no chance for my Kings to repeat.

Hop on board the Draft Odell Beckham JR Bandwagon! Taking all comers! 

#8 bauer77

bauer77

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

I've been fine. I don't want another disappointing season, as I'm a caps fan. lol

nb4yyq.jpg
If tomorrow wasn't promised, what would you give for today? - Ray Lewis
Twitter

#9 theblackdog

theblackdog

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

I'm so freaking annoyed that there has even been a lockout because I like having another sports distraction on the days we don't have football games. On the other hand, all of the bandwagoner Caps fans who bought season tickets so they could attend a few games and then sell the rest will be dropping those seats like a bad habit when they finally do start playing.

I'm wishing for the season to come back soon.
Posted Image
Thanks to Kia Kaha for the sig!

#10 TreTheRaven

TreTheRaven

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:20 AM

I think about hockey every day, and wish the Caps would come back. It's hard to concentrate at times though with football and college basketball going on. But this lock out going on, is going on too long. I expected a bit of one, but never this long.

#11 flaccopoe

flaccopoe

Mintberry Crunch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,320 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:34 AM

I really just enjoy the playoffs so im not too upset. It would suck if the season is cancelled though...no chance for my Kings to repeat.

They would still be defending their title, come next season.

Honestly, I am surprised that you (Poe) got second. After the draft I thought your team was doomed for failure.

You get used to it. Even posts that don't violate the rules aren't safe.

Ray Guy to the NFL Hall of Fame

#12 flaccopoe

flaccopoe

Mintberry Crunch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,320 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:42 AM

I get to watch a lot more basketball, which is great!

Honestly, I am surprised that you (Poe) got second. After the draft I thought your team was doomed for failure.

#13 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,203 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:16 AM

I get to watch a lot more basketball, which is great!

Is it? Is it, really?
Posted Image

#14 flaccopoe

flaccopoe

Mintberry Crunch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,320 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:23 AM

Is it? Is it, really?

Yeah! I can devote more attention to football and basketball and eventually, baseball.

#15 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,093 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:10 AM

Never liked hockey. But I think its crazy how ESPN rather talk about the Jets more then they do about a major lockout in a major sport.

If I did care about hockey that would drive me mad.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#16 MsMarvel73

MsMarvel73

BSHU cheerleader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,629 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

I am just so pissed off at both sides that I don't care about what happens to the season. Yes, I miss my Flyers but... *shrug*

This is going to kill whatever momentum hockey built since the last lockout. And with the US economy as a whole, I get really angry over stuff like this.

Edited by INRavensgirl, 08 December 2012 - 12:43 PM.

CableandDeadpool_zpsb3c012fd.jpg

#17 YYZ66

YYZ66

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

This says it all! How does this guy keep his job???

"Do you hear the sustain?"

"No, I don't hear anything."

"You would if it were playing."

#18 George70

George70

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

I have been missing hockey, however, I still can consider getting some supplies for a hockey board game which I have, and try to replicate a season with that - such as it is.

#19 MsMarvel73

MsMarvel73

BSHU cheerleader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,629 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

Just saw on FB that They've cancelled through December 30th. Oh just cancel the entire season already.....

CableandDeadpool_zpsb3c012fd.jpg

#20 Mr. Nobody

Mr. Nobody

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,554 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:35 PM

come on people... just confess already... you all got the Blues

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users