Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sizzlebshu

Rumor: Chargers set to fire Norv Turner and GM Smith at end of season

30 posts in this topic

And Here... We.... GO!

[url="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000106869/article/norv-turner-aj-smith-reportedly-out-for-chargers-at-seasons-end"]http://www.nfl.com/n...-at-seasons-end[/url]

Edit: Story still developing an downer denies this and calls it speculation but...

I'll believe it when I see it. Norv was SUPPOSED to be fired at the end of last season and we all know how that ended...

LOL, now Dean Spanos is trying to deny that Turner and Smith will be fired.

[quote]“There is only one person in this organization who will make those decisions and that’s me, and I haven’t shared my thoughts with anyone,” Spanos says. “I will make my evaluations at the end of the season. Anything coming out now — from sources or otherwise — is pure speculation.”[/quote]

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/06/spanos-denies-report-that-smith-and-turner-will-be-fired/

[quote name='JO_75' timestamp='1354841147' post='1248443']

[url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/06/spanos-denies-report-that-smith-and-turner-will-be-fired/"]http://profootballta...-will-be-fired/[/url]
[/quote]

I have no choice but to believe him. You can't speculate on what egomaniacal owners will do.

Theres no way he doesn't fire Norv. 2 years in a row with no playoffs and now Manning is in the division, the team is getting worse and has had serious talent leave the franchise in the last couple of years.

They need to clean house.

Still can't see him coming here. Some poorly ran franchise will probably make him a HC...Panthers,Eagles,Chiefs,Browns,Jaguars, Bills?

[quote name='JO_75' timestamp='1354840682' post='1248433']
All you need to see how I feel about this is to look at my signature. That is all.
[/quote]
That made me smile :)

[quote name='JO_75' timestamp='1354841972' post='1248466']
Yo Dean, I'm available if you need a General Manager.
[/quote]
NO I want that Job!

I wonder who they'll hire as their new HC.
I have a guy who's been there before and knows the system. He won't dissapoint.
And his name is...
CAM CAMERON!

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Rumor? -- This is an utmost certainty at this point.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Honestly, I'm on board the Norv Turner train. I think with Norv & Caldwell coaching up Joe he'd could easily become a more elite quarterback. Yeah, I said it... more elite.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]~ Cosmic[/i][/font]

[quote name='JO_75' timestamp='1354841147' post='1248443']

[url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/06/spanos-denies-report-that-smith-and-turner-will-be-fired/"]http://profootballta...-will-be-fired/[/url]
[/quote]

He didn't deny it. He actually didn't refute it at all. He pretty much said "I make the decisions. But yeah i'm gonna fire him BUT NOT BECAUSE ANYONE TOLD ME TO".

[quote name='CosmicRedPanda' timestamp='1354845682' post='1248578']
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Rumor? -- This is an utmost certainty at this point.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Honestly, I'm on board the Norv Turner train. I think with Norv & Caldwell coaching up Joe he'd could easily become a more elite quarterback. Yeah, I said it... more elite.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]~ Cosmic[/i][/font]
[/quote]
He aint elite yet.

I would give Turner a chance over Cameron. Sometimes you need a change of scenery. If I had to choose, though, it would be neither. I want to go to a WCO. I think it fits us better.

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1354854460' post='1248736']
I would give Turner a chance over Cameron. Sometimes you need a change of scenery. If I had to choose, though, it would be neither. I want to go to a WCO. I think it fits us better.
[/quote]

My thing is, I look at Jack Del Rio who became the Broncos defensive coordinator. The Broncos defense is better because of Rio being able to do what he does he best, be a defensive coordinator. Norv I believe is in the same situation, I think once Norv is fired and some team picks him up as OC(hopefully us) and Norv is able to go back to being just an offensive coordinator, he will make some team very happy. Again, hopefully us.

[quote name='JO_75' timestamp='1354854684' post='1248738']
My thing is, I look at Jack Del Rio who became the Broncos defensive coordinator. The Broncos defense is better because of Rio being able to do what he does he best, be a defensive coordinator. Norv I believe is in the same situation, I think once Norv is fired and some team picks him up as OC(hopefully us) and Norv is able to go back to being just an offensive coordinator, he will make some team very happy. Again, hopefully us.
[/quote]
The problem with that is that you assume the offensive philosophy he has works even on a team that isn't extrmely talented offensively. Our team has talent, on't get me wrong, but we don't have 3 6ft 5 receivers, one of the greatest tight ends of all time and LT. The best we have to compare to that is Ray Rice. I don't think that system works when you dont have that kind of talent and San Diego's struggles as they lost key talent attest to that.

While browing the Chargers forum, I noticed a post by one of their fans stating that Norv and AJ are 0-14 in Pitt. If that's true, I'm not sure that I want him in Baltimore.

With that being said i hope that lights a fire under Rivers and the Chargers offense....I am hoping "Trap Game" for the Steelers.

[quote name='bpytnjr58' timestamp='1354906138' post='1249025']
With that being said i hope that lights a fire under Rivers and the Chargers offense....I am hoping "Trap Game" for the Steelers.
[/quote]

I so wanted to pick the Chargers this week as my upset but I just couldn't do it. I do think they'll play them tough, it's just those steelers finish games better than most & the chargers are the opposite

Another issue if he's fired and if he takes an offensive coordinators job...

We won't be able to talk to him until we are out of the playoffs meaning their will be plenty of teams talking to him before we are able to.

[quote name='harfordravenfan' timestamp='1354926373' post='1249293']
Another issue if he's fired and if he takes an offensive coordinators job...

We won't be able to talk to him until we are out of the playoffs meaning their will be plenty of teams talking to him before we are able to.
[/quote]

That is a very good point, as long as we are in the playoffs we won't be able to get any OC as the good ones will be snatched up by the time the playoffs are over with. So, with that said, I still stick to the point that as long as we make the playoffs Cam won't go anywhere because all the good OCs will be gone. It will take us missing the playoffs for Cam to be gone, meaning we can get a good OC.

[quote name='JO_75' timestamp='1354929424' post='1249323']

That is a very good point, as long as we are in the playoffs we won't be able to get any OC as the good ones will be snatched up by the time the playoffs are over with. So, with that said, I still stick to the point that as long as we make the playoffs Cam won't go anywhere because all the good OCs will be gone. It will take us missing the playoffs for Cam to be gone, meaning we can get a good OC.
[/quote]
Why's that? We can bring him in as an offensive "consultant" like the Patriots did with McDaniels.

Why do I get the feeling that this "rumor" is going to motivate Norv Turner and the San Chargers will finish with a .500 record? Is it because the calendar reads December and that is when San Diego has played their best football during the Turner-era? No, that's not it; oh, how about this: Maybe Norv will [i]finally [/i]realize that his job is in jeopardy and will get the message that, after years of disappointment, he's on a very short leash, so-to-speak.

I don't know, but it's way too apparent to not realize that Norv Turner, A.J. Smith and Dean Spanos have a strong relationship, outside of the football business. Ever since the Chargers wasted their 13-3 season back in 2009-10, when they lost, at home, to the New York Jets and a rookie Mark LOL-Chez, the team has gone downhill, missing the playoffs these past 3 years while so much talent has come-and-gone. However, with that said, that begs the question(s): [i]Why [/i]is Norv Turner still coaching the Bolts and [i]why [/i]is A.J. Smith still the team's general manager? Something is up, especailly since Spanos immediately shot this "rumor" down, immediately (although, to be fair, he could be doing it to maintain the franchise's "standing").

Plus, if I was Norv Turner, and my job security was pretty much safe, why wouldn't do my best to get another one of those 2-year extensions? After all, making millions in San Diego is quite the paradise...