Upcoming Events:  Lil Ravens Camp      Training Camp Stadium Practices      Movie Night   

Photo

Goodell passes along idea of replacing kick-offs...

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 TreTheRaven

TreTheRaven

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

Instead of kicking it off now from the 30, teams would then automatically be facing a fourth down and 15 yards to go. The team can then choose to punt or go for it, via fake punt or otherwise. So basically the kick-off would essentially be replaced with the punt, and the onside kick would be replaced with a fourth-down conversion.

This was brought up in the recent Time magazine, and kind of had me mad. But the further I read the article -- I see that Buccaneers head coach Greg Schiano had mentioned the idea to Goodell, so it seems that other teams around the league are considering it.

Great. Just great. As mentioned by several other posters who commented on this article ... why not just make this a touch football league? If this passes -- I am willing to bet the league popularity will drop.

http://profootballta...acing-kickoffs/

#2 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,806 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

Instead of kicking it off now from the 30, teams would then automatically be facing a fourth down and 15 yards to go. The team can then choose to punt or go for it, via fake punt or otherwise. So basically the kick-off would essentially be replaced with the punt, and the onside kick would be replaced with a fourth-down conversion.

This was brought up in the recent Time magazine, and kind of had me mad. But the further I read the article -- I see that Buccaneers head coach Greg Schiano had mentioned the idea to Goodell, so it seems that other teams around the league are considering it.

Great. Just great. As mentioned by several other posters who commented on this article ... why not just make this a touch football league? If this passes -- I am willing to bet the league popularity will drop.

http://profootballta...acing-kickoffs/

I'm not. People are going to continue to watch the sport no matter what. If you think about it. This rule could actually make the game more interesting. How many ballsy coaches who have to punt on the opening play will try gain momentum right off the bat when the score is 0-0.

It also makes comeback attempts much more exciting because they would be more easily attainable than an on-sides kick.

On top of that, you are making the game safer. You won't have 11 guys gunning as fast as they can down the field creating tons of injuries. Kickoffs have always been the worst in that regard.

Edited by PuRock, 06 December 2012 - 11:50 AM.

Posted Image

#3 jus'_crAzy

jus'_crAzy

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:08 PM

Because punt returns are somehow less "dangerous" than kickoffs?

I'm not. People are going to continue to watch the sport no matter what. If you think about it. This rule could actually make the game more interesting. How many ballsy coaches who have to punt on the opening play will try gain momentum right off the bat when the score is 0-0.

It also makes comeback attempts much more exciting because they would be more easily attainable than an on-sides kick.

On top of that, you are making the game safer. You won't have 11 guys gunning as fast as they can down the field creating tons of injuries. Kickoffs have always been the worst in that regard.

I feel like you're just splitting hairs at this point. Violent sport is violent.

Edited by jus'_crAzy, 06 December 2012 - 12:09 PM.

(OO=[||][||]=OO)  ///M

#4 Free Agent

Free Agent

Sign me, Ozzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

Few plays are as electrifying as a kickoff return for a TD, as Jacoby has shown as twice this year. In my opinion, its silly enough that they moved the kickoffs up five yards to create more touchbacks, but eliminating kickoffs altogether? Ridiculous.

And what of those players who make their living on special teams? Or the players whose special teams prowess attracts the attention of the coaches and leads to a bigger role at their respective position? These guys will have even fewer chances to prove themselves.

"It's like somebody created him on Madden." - Jacoby Jones on Joe Flacco

"Hodor." - Hodor

#5 die_hard_raven

die_hard_raven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

This is BS, I hate Goodell, if this rule is passed in the future, consider all 5 of my PSL's up for sale. I'd rather sit home and watch tv then spend 7k+ a year as the commissioner continues to take away what made the sport what it is. If they are that concerned about injury then have players sign some form of waiver.

It just seems like they've opened pandora's box and they want to remove injury from a physical contact sport which is impossible. If people think the sports is too popular to lose fans no matter how many rules are changed they could be in for a surprise.

Special teams would basically disappear or a large part of it. What else next??? No QB contact at all and if the QB doesn't pass they ball in 6 seconds it's a penalty? This is stupid...

Edited by die_hard_raven, 06 December 2012 - 01:34 PM.

#6 JO_75

JO_75

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,256 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

Roger Goodell is that you?

#7 bpytnjr58

bpytnjr58

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

How about a "Jump Ball" like the NBA?? :rolleyes:

#8 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,806 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

Because punt returns are somehow less "dangerous" than kickoffs?

I feel like you're just splitting hairs at this point. Violent sport is violent.

First off, I'm not for this proposed change. I can just understand an argument for it and that people wouldn't stop watching.

Two gunners vs. 11. Its been shown that the # of injuries that occur on kickoffs have outweighed punt returns. But just because a sport is violent doesn't mean you can't make it safer for those involved. Especially when said players are getting bigger, stronger and faster.

From Article:

The idea would be to remove completely the high-speed, open-field collisions between large men who dip their heads instinctively at impact and place extra pressure on the C3-C4 area of the spine. While other injuries would be possible during the punt play that replaces the kickoff, the risk of catastrophic injury would be reduced.

And what of those players who make their living on special teams? Or the players whose special teams prowess attracts the attention of the coaches and leads to a bigger role at their respective position? These guys will have even fewer chances to prove themselves.

It would be a different story if the size of rosters are changing. I can't see the union allowing this proposed change to pass if that was the case. If not, players are still going to get opportunities. They'll just have to make their presence felt in TC/practice instead. Just switches philosophies.

Edited by PuRock, 06 December 2012 - 03:25 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Guest_Mr. Nobody_*

Guest_Mr. Nobody_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

this would eliminate players dedicated only for special teams, thus rosters might shrink to defence and offense... though they just approved teams to have 90 players during camp
punting from the 30 for an average of 50 will give the ball to the opposing team at their 20, but returners will try to gain some yards every time and then injuries will get where they are now
take off the hard helmet and the pads and the game will be safer, broken bones heal and less concussions

Edited by horus13corvineus, 06 December 2012 - 03:01 PM.

#10 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,458 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

Schiano suggested it - that should tell you all you need to know
Posted Image

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#11 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,806 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

Schiano suggested it - that should tell you all you need to know

What's his motivation is my question. It surely can't be safety because he'll crash down on unexpected victory formations.
Posted Image

#12 flaccopoe

flaccopoe

Mintberry Crunch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,320 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

Few plays are as electrifying as a kickoff return for a TD, as Jacoby has shown as twice this year. In my opinion, its silly enough that they moved the kickoffs up five yards to create more touchbacks, but eliminating kickoffs altogether? Ridiculous.

Exactly. Where would Devin Heter be without punt returns? It's a very exciting part of the game. Besides, a punt is basically the same as a kickoff.

Honestly, I am surprised that you (Poe) got second. After the draft I thought your team was doomed for failure.

You get used to it. Even posts that don't violate the rules aren't safe.

Ray Guy to the NFL Hall of Fame

#13 flaccopoe

flaccopoe

Mintberry Crunch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,320 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

Not to mention, I love watching onside kicks. They're so suspenseful. A successful onside kick is quite the sight to behold and really fires up the crowd.

Honestly, I am surprised that you (Poe) got second. After the draft I thought your team was doomed for failure.

You get used to it. Even posts that don't violate the rules aren't safe.

Ray Guy to the NFL Hall of Fame

#14 theblackdog

theblackdog

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

So who gets the ball at the beginning of the game? I can't seem to locate anything yet since I'm not a TIME subscriber.
Posted Image
Thanks to Kia Kaha for the sig!

#15 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,458 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

What's his motivation is my question. It surely can't be safety because he'll crash down on unexpected victory formations.

No clue. It's an asinine idea. Serves no purpose.
Posted Image

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#16 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,806 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

So who gets the ball at the beginning of the game? I can't seem to locate anything yet since I'm not a TIME subscriber.

Its a coin flip. So if you win the toss you can choose to kick (punt). But ofcourse you can trot your offense out there and try and pick up 15 yards on the first play. If your offense is really, really good. You can score. Get to punt again, but put your offense out there again.
Posted Image

#17 YYZ66

YYZ66

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

This is BS, I hate Goodell, if this rule is passed in the future, consider all 5 of my PSL's up for sale. I'd rather sit home and watch tv then spend 7k+ a year as the commissioner continues to take away what made the sport what it is. If they are that concerned about injury then have players sign some form of waiver.

It just seems like they've opened pandora's box and they want to remove injury from a physical contact sport which is impossible. If people think the sports is too popular to lose fans no matter how many rules are changed they could be in for a surprise.

Special teams would basically disappear or a large part of it. What else next??? No QB contact at all and if the QB doesn't pass they ball in 6 seconds it's a penalty? This is stupid...

Goodell is trying to eliminate defense, certainly any kind of hard hitting defense. So why not special teams too?
All this talk about player safety from him is a joke. There are a couple of manufacturers that produce concussion resistant helmets. Guess what? There aren't any players that wear them. Why doesn't the NFL make those helmets mandatory?????

"Do you hear the sustain?"

"No, I don't hear anything."

"You would if it were playing."

#18 YYZ66

YYZ66

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

Its a coin flip. So if you win the toss you can choose to kick (punt). But ofcourse you can trot your offense out there and try and pick up 15 yards on the first play. If your offense is really, really good. You can score. Get to punt again, but put your offense out there again.

That's exactly what Goodell wants. Every rule change he makes benefits the offense.....

"Do you hear the sustain?"

"No, I don't hear anything."

"You would if it were playing."

#19 Malkavian Raven

Malkavian Raven

Hoosier Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,267 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

this would eliminate players dedicated only for special teams, thus rosters might shrink to defence and offense... though they just approved teams to have 90 players during camp
punting from the 30 for an average of 50 will give the ball to the opposing team at their 20, but returners will try to gain some yards every time and then injuries will get where they are now
take off the hard helmet and the pads and the game will be safer, broken bones heal and less concussions

This has always been my philosophy. How many players (like James Harrison) do you see launching themselves headfirst once their helmets are gone? And think of it this way... If Nike jerseys make the game 'faster'... taking the helmets and pads away would make it EVEN FASTER!!! FASTER THAN FASTER!!

~ Cosmic

AND THEY SHALL KNOW NO GOOD OR PEACE, NOR SHALL THEIR SUFFERING EVER CEASE
logout.png
UNTIL THEY HUMBLY COME & BEG FOR MERCY ON THEIR KNEES, WHICH I MAY GRANT IF I SHOULD PLEASE

#20 Guest_Mr. Nobody_*

Guest_Mr. Nobody_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

cosmic light faster

ps would that mean we'll have watch games in slow motion at telly?

Edited by horus13corvineus, 06 December 2012 - 05:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users