Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dudeman

The football commandments

What do you think?   13 votes

1. 1. Do you believe in the football commandments?

• Oh yeah!
    • Eh
    • But wait theres more!
    • Nah

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

32 posts in this topic

The 10 Football Commandments

1.) Do not turn the football over, and take advantage of turn-overs.

2.) Score in the redzone, touchdowns are preffered.

3.) Hold teams to fieldgoals in the redzone on defense.

4.) Save timeouts for the end of the half, and end of the game.

5.) Don't abandon the run unless the opposition has a 14+ point lead.

6.) Don't commit pre-snap penalties.

7.) Don't disrespect your opponent.

8.) Protect the QB on offense

9.) Get to the QB on defense.

10.) Have fun (football is supposed to be fun) win, lose, or draw.

Been thinking on this one for awhile. What do you think? What would your commandments look like? How about one thats Ravens specific?

[quote name='Dudeman' timestamp='1354723648' post='1247330']
[/quote]

That sounds like something you would say to a Pee-Wee football team not to guys who are getting paid million of dollars to perform. Its tough to have fun when you are playing for your livelihood and career.

I know when I am at work, my goal isn't to have fun. I wish it was.

WOW..we need a Priest at the castle cause our guys broke quite a few of these. Maybe the football GODS are mad at us.

5.) Don't abandon the run unless the opposition has a 14+ point lead.

6.) Don't commit pre-snap penalties.

Been thinking on this one for awhile. What do you think? What would your commandments look like? How about one thats Ravens specific?
[/quote]

Where is........"Beat the teams that you are supposed to beat?"

LOL, I love the zero fun clip, that's great!!

I agree too, about the last one maybe not being the best one. But that's also why I made it the last one. Also when I was thinking about this, I just kept thinking that my favorite games are when the players look like they are having fun. When we are steamrolling on either side of the ball and making plays it looks like the guys are having fun and cutting loose out there. Again, when I enjoy watching the team play, they are having fun. When I am biting my nails and hoping the outcome is a win, then the team looks stressed out like they are trying too hard.

I dunno, maybe I am totally wrong there, but that's kinda what I am seeing sometimes.

[quote name='Dudeman' timestamp='1354741750' post='1247574']
LOL, I love the zero fun clip, that's great!!

I agree too, about the last one maybe not being the best one. But that's also why I made it the last one. Also when I was thinking about this, I just kept thinking that my favorite games are when the players look like they are having fun. When we are steamrolling on either side of the ball and making plays it looks like the guys are having fun and cutting loose out there. Again, when I enjoy watching the team play, they are having fun. When I am biting my nails and hoping the outcome is a win, then the team looks stressed out like they are trying too hard.

I dunno, maybe I am totally wrong there, but that's kinda what I am seeing sometimes.
[/quote]

I'm with ya. Football IS supposed to be fun. The best games of my short career were the ones where we were laid back and having fun. Playing with focus and intensity, but having fun.

My high school team sucked, so i didn't have fun getting stomped almost every game....lol

I agree with them with two notable exceptions. There is a 2nd part of #7. Never disrespect your opponent but never feel sorry for them either. I would replace #10 with Don't leave anything on the field. Losing is not fun. It is OK to tell this to your flag football players and possibly even your HS football team but playing sports ain't about having fun --- its about winning! Have fun after the game! Unfortunately, this notion of having fun is being taught in our schools at an early age and it carries over into adult life. Kids are given blue ribbons for participating in field day programs. IMO competition is a good thing, not a bad word. Billy Cundiff apparently never learned it. A person who doesn't mind (or even enjoys) losing is a LOSER.

[quote name='frozen joe flacco fan' timestamp='1354808834' post='1248012']
I agree with them with two notable exceptions. There is a 2nd part of #7. Never disrespect your opponent but never feel sorry for them either. I would replace #10 with Don't leave anything on the field. Losing is not fun. It is OK to tell this to your flag football players and possibly even your HS football team but playing sports ain't about having fun --- its about winning! Have fun after the game! Unfortunately, this notion of having fun is being taught in our schools at an early age and it carries over into adult life. Kids are given blue ribbons for participating in field day programs. IMO competition is a good thing, not a bad word. Billy Cundiff apparently never learned it. A person who doesn't mind (or even enjoys) losing is a LOSER.
[/quote]

I like that a lot, especially with leaving everything on the field. Good post

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Cosmic Red Panda laughs at your commandments, and replaces them with his own.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Rule #1: WIN[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Rule #2: See Rule #1[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]~ Cosmic[/i][/font]

[quote name='CosmicRedPanda' timestamp='1354834890' post='1248349']
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Cosmic Red Panda laughs at your commandments, and replaces them with his own.[/i][/font]

[b][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]~ Cosmic[/font][/b]
[/quote]

why are cats in here biting on my monicker style? c'mon man! lol!

~Mili

[quote name='Militant X 1' timestamp='1354842420' post='1248478']
why are cats in here biting on my monicker style? c'mon man! lol!

~Mili
[/quote]

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]'Cause that's what we pandas do. :P

~ Cosmic
And thanks to whoever gave me the neg; I'm never going to get that secret decoder ring now.[/font][/i]

[quote name='CosmicRedPanda' timestamp='1354834890' post='1248349']

[/quote]
Brilliant!

[quote name='CosmicRedPanda' timestamp='1354842887' post='1248491']
[u][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][b]'Cause that's what we pandas do. [/b][/font][/u][i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif] :P

~ Cosmic
And thanks to whoever gave me the neg; I'm never going to get that secret decoder ring now.[/font][/i]
[/quote]

oooooo...k! lol!

~Mili

[quote name='Militant X 1' timestamp='1354843304' post='1248507']
oooooo...k! lol!

~Mili
[/quote]
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Be nice to me, I make you signatures. :( And now that I'm feeling better, I may reopen the Sig Shop. ;)[/i][/font]

[quote name='CosmicRedPanda' timestamp='1354843427' post='1248514']
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Be nice to me, I make you signatures. :( And now that I'm feeling better, I may reopen the Sig Shop. ;)[/i][/font]

[/quote]

is this who i think it is?

~Mili

[quote name='Militant X 1' timestamp='1354843964' post='1248526']

~Mili
[/quote]

Yes, yes it is!

[quote name='Militant X 1' timestamp='1354843964' post='1248526']

~Mili
[/quote]

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]In the words of The Dude, "you're not privy to all the new stuff... man". Yes, tis I, your friendly neighborhood Panda, formerly known as Malk. ;)[/font][/i]

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]~ Malkavian Raven (for ol' times sake, and to get it out of my system)[/font][/i]

[quote name='CosmicRedPanda' timestamp='1354845514' post='1248567']
[i][font=trebuchet ms, helvetica, sans-serif]In the words of The Dude, "you're not privy to all the new stuff... man". Yes, tis I, your friendly neighborhood Panda, formerly known as Malk. ;)[/font][/i]

[i][font=trebuchet ms, helvetica, sans-serif]~ Malkavian Raven (for ol' times sake, and to get it out of my system)[/font][/i]
[/quote]

Lol@ this thread. You guys are cracking me up, and I thought that was you Malk. Should have recognized the italic scripting. Not that this is on topic at all, but would you make the dude a sig? Or you know Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing ;)

[quote name='Dudeman' timestamp='1354846214' post='1248601']
Lol@ this thread. You guys are cracking me up, and I thought that was you Malk. Should have recognized the italic scripting. Not that this is on topic at all, but would you make the dude a sig? Or you know Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing ;)
[/quote]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]The Panda abides. Just send your ideas to me thru PM. ;)[/i][/font]

[quote name='CosmicRedPanda' timestamp='1354845514' post='1248567']
[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]In the words of The Dude, "you're not privy to all the new stuff... man". Yes, tis I, your friendly neighborhood Panda, formerly known as Malk. ;)[/font][/i]

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]~ Malkavian Raven (for ol' times sake, and to get it out of my system)[/font][/i]
[/quote]

Malk! that Panda stuff threw me off brah! :D

~Mili

[b]5.) Don't abandon the run unless the opposition has a 14+ point lead.[/b]

[b]6.) Don't commit pre-snap penalties.[/b]

[b]10.) Have fun (football is supposed to be fun) win, lose, or draw.[/b]

[/quote]

4) I disagree in a sense, because there is variables to consider. If your down but your run game is averaging 5+ yards a carry, dont change it up, if its working its working, right cam?

6) dont commit any mistake penalties. what i mean by that: false start, 12 men in the huddle, and my biggest pet peeve, personal fouls.

10) I agree with yours, mainly because you never said this is the NFL commandments, just football. If this was for the nfl then i wouldnt want that on there, because like others said, its their job.

[quote name='usmccharles' timestamp='1354846765' post='1248616']
4) I disagree in a sense, because there is variables to consider. If your down but your run game is averaging 5+ yards a carry, dont change it up, if its working its working, right cam?

6) dont commit any mistake penalties. what i mean by that: false start, 12 men in the huddle, and my biggest pet peeve, personal fouls.

10) I agree with yours, mainly because you never said this is the NFL commandments, just football. If this was for the nfl then i wouldnt want that on there, because like others said, its their job.
[/quote]

Yeah I was trying to think of when you "abandon" the run. But I am an old school football philosophy kinda guy. If you are gaining 6.5 yards a carry thats a first down every 3 plays. I definitely don't like this air coryell system at all.

Some penalties are unavoidable, and some are good like the touchdown saving pass interference. But those pre-snap penalties are just so frustrating on both sides of the ball. Offsides, false starts, delay of games, too many men on the field are simply unacceptable in pro football. Clean it up!

And yeah, reading comprehension 101 my friend. Again, I would like to see some other versions of these "commandments" like NFL or Ravens specific as examples.