17 replies to this topic

#1 flaccopoe

flaccopoe

Mintberry Crunch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,320 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:26 AM

Has anyone noticed how many kickers have been struggling this season? Akers (21-30), Crosby (15-24), Vinatieri (21-28) Gostkowski (24-30) and Prater (17-22), all considered elite kickers, have all had horrible misses at key times. Who could forget Gostkowki's miss at the end of the Cardinals game?! I shall refer to this is Cundiff's Curse from here on out.

Honestly, I am surprised that you (Poe) got second. After the draft I thought your team was doomed for failure.

You get used to it. Even posts that don't violate the rules aren't safe.

Ray Guy to the NFL Hall of Fame

#2 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

Bond, James Bond. 007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,610 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:29 AM

Has anyone noticed how many kickers have been struggling this season? Akers (21-30), Crosby (15-24), Vinatieri (21-28) Gostkowski (24-30) and Prater (17-22), all considered elite kickers, have all had horrible misses at key times. Who could forget Gostkowki's miss at the end of the Cardinals game?! I shall refer to this is Cundiff's Curse from here on out.

Maybe it's time for the tucker era

#3 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

These guys you named are all up there in age. It sucks having to go with a rookie (not for us right now =) but usually) so teams just stick with vets. Eventually they need to be replaced. Plus for some reason the standard for kickers now a days is being able to kick 100% inside 50 and around 80% between 50-60%.

Just like every QB now is supposed to be top 5. Standards are drastically increasing.

#4 RavensFanInCA

RavensFanInCA

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,365 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

Gostkowski, Crosby, and Prater are all 28. Not old by any means for a kicker and it should be their prime in terms of physical strength (unless kicking is like gymnastics and you want underage flexible people).

It's definitely odd, but I'm glad we're part of the new wave of kickers (Tucker, Zuerlin, and Walsh)

#5 flaccopoe

flaccopoe

Mintberry Crunch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,320 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:10 AM

Crosby continues to dig his own grave. Other than that, it was a pretty good week for FG kickers! My boy Kai Forbath is continuing his perfect season... at the cost of the Ravens losing.

Honestly, I am surprised that you (Poe) got second. After the draft I thought your team was doomed for failure.

#6 flaccopoe

flaccopoe

Mintberry Crunch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,320 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

It looks like Akers and Crosby are almost guaranteed to be replaced in the offseason. However, as disappointing as a lot of veteran kickers have been this season, there's a bright future on the horizon. Several young kickers have really taken the NFL by storm.

Blair Walsh, aka "The Blair Walsh Project", has stunned the league with his kangaroo kicks, hitting 9-of-9 FGs of 50+ yd in his rookie season, beating the NFL record previously held by Jason Hanson and Morten Andersen.

Greg "Young GZ" Zuerlin is close behind with 7 50+ yd FGs, including a 60-yd rocket that ties him with Morten Anderson, Dan Carpenter and Rob Bironas for the 3rd-longest FG ever made.

Kai Forbath has the longest NFL debut kicking record, making all 17 of his kicks in his rookie season, replacing the dinosaur Billy Cundiff.

Dan Bailey continues to impress in his 2nd season, perfect from under 50 and 3/5 from 50+.

Edited by flaccopoe, 24 December 2012 - 03:03 PM.

#7 ravens__

ravens__

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

It looks like Akers and Crosby are almost guaranteed to be replaced in the offseason. However, as disappointing as a lot of veteran kickers have been this season, there's a bright future on the horizon. Several young kickers have really taken the NFL by storm.

Blair Walsh, aka "The Blair Walsh Project", has stunned the league with his kangaroo kicks, hitting 9-of-9 FGs of 50+ yd in his rookie season, beating the NFL record previously held by Jason Hanson and Morten Anderson.

Greg "Young GZ" Zuerlin is close behind with 7 50+ yd FGs, including a 60-yd rocket that ties him with Morten Anderson, Dan Carpenter and Rob Bironas for the 2nd-longest FG ever made.

Kai Forbath has the longest NFL debut kicking record, making all 17 of his 1st kicks in his rookie season.

Dan Bailey continues to impress in his 2nd season, perfect from under 50 and 3/5 from 50+.

There's also this guy named Justin Tucker. Not sure if you've heard of him.. ;)

2010 BR.com "You Pick 'em" Champion

10fqgjp.jpg

#8 flaccopoe

flaccopoe

Mintberry Crunch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,320 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

There's also this guy named Justin Tucker. Not sure if you've heard of him.. ;)

Thanks for pointing him out!

Tucker is 29/31 (93.5%), kicking 4/4 from 50+, including a 56-yd rocket. It's worth noting that one of his misses came in the kicking hell that is Heinz Field.

#9 NaveSenrag

NaveSenrag

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:37 PM

Thanks for pointing him out!

Tucker is 29/31 (93.5%), kicking 4/4 from 50+, including a 56-yd rocket. It's worth noting that one of his misses came in the kicking hell that is Heinz Field.

And the other came during a rainstorm.

#10 Irish Raven

Irish Raven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:47 AM

These teams need to sign the Norwegian

Apologies if the video is already posted on this site, I didn't see it

#11 MsMarvel73

MsMarvel73

BSHU cheerleader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,629 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:05 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDwbjHV8jLo

Dropkick Murphys! Great soundtrack! The guy's got good taste!!! not to mention the amazing leg! :D

CableandDeadpool_zpsb3c012fd.jpg

#12 CosmicRedPanda

CosmicRedPanda

Hoosier Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,606 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:16 AM

And just think, if he doesn't make it as a kicker, you could always use him as a kicking-QB.

Posted Image Cosmic

Edited by CosmicRedPanda, 27 December 2012 - 02:16 AM.

46&2

#13 Irish Raven

Irish Raven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:36 AM

Ah yes, if the NFL doesn't work out there will be rugby teams lining up to sign him

Could make a great out-half

I believe Haloti Ngata was a rugby star when he was in high school

#14 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,178 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

Dropkick Murphys! Great soundtrack! The guy's got good taste!!! not to mention the amazing leg! :D

wow; what a leg!
2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#15 BrownsFan

BrownsFan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

It has been a crazy year for kickers overall. Phil Dawson has been in the league since '99 and honestly his last two seasons have been his best. One of the few long-time kickers that is doing well lately it seems.
Actual testimonials from real forum members:

Purple Nurple: I think we need to just let BrownsFan be right about whatever he posts.

Moderator 2: Browns Fan is the best always.

#16 flaccopoe

flaccopoe

Mintberry Crunch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,320 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

Glad to see Crosby ended his season on a high note! I wonder if Hanson will retire at the end of the season?

#17 Mt. Crushmore

Mt. Crushmore

Crush Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,155 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

Billy Cundiff signed with the 49ers.

https://twitter.com/...221418696409088

Mt. Crushmore always makes about a million posts in a minute.

You no longer make a million posts a minute. You make a million trades a minute now....

Jacksonville Jaguars GM

Twitter

#18 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

Billy Cundiff signed with the 49ers.

https://twitter.com/...221418696409088

Teams are getting desperate. Akers has been trash all year but I wouldn't sign Cundiff for a postseason run. He's better than Akers (sorta) but are the options really that small?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users