Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gashman

Who exactly are these 2012 Ravens?

89 posts in this topic

Man, where do you start?

9-3 with issues

I want to see a plan on Offense and Defense

Why are we still seeing the same problems on Offense after week 11?

On Defense, it looked like we had a plan, things got figured out, then we abandoned the pass rush, put extra guys in coverage, but they didnt cover anybody

Then we get a 2 score lead on a 3rd string Qb, and he beats us. I JUST DONT GET IT HOW OUR Head Coach can sit idly by and not force adjustments. I mean, why even be on the sidelines if you cant help your team while you watch it go south week after week.

We have always had an identity each year. This year, I really dont know what it is.

they are who they are....and it is what it is! we keep going over the same old discussions over and over and over again. smh!

:deadhorse:

~Mili

The air Coryell does not fit the ravens offense.

First, we need two fast receivers that can adjust to deep throws.we only have one and Torrey still can't do it consistently. Boldin is too slow , and jacoby is underutilized.maybe he should share return duties with Thompson.

Second, we underutilize the middle of the field. We need to go to Pitta to avoid attention on boldin(cams fault). Cam loves sideline throws. Limiting his own offense.

Bottom line: our offense personnel is not perfect for air Coryell. Cam needs to adjust. Why won't he.this is partly why we lost to New England and could not finish Pittsburgh. Teams can just bracket Torrey and force joe to throw to a surrounded boldin or hold and get stripped. We need more creative plays and formations.Or a change in OC.

But, in the end the ravens win next week and cam is off the hook. It is an endless cycle folks.

We're 9-3.

But the way I would describe this team would be a injured, inconsistent, mysterious and bipolar contender who is being held back from sir Cameron.

[quote name='1/28/01' timestamp='1354595516' post='1245943']
OP, we're 9-3...unless yesterday game didnt happen ;)
[/quote]

He probably just wishes it didn't happen, as do the rest of us. haha

Were 9-3 even with all the difficulties.

What other team has a 9-3 record that has done with all the losses we went through?

It shows we are tough and that we got tenacity to get things done. It shows we are not losers, that we're more than 1 man in Ravens uniform.

We'll get through this thick and thin. Thats just how Ravens roll!

Its crazy, though:

NE game was a "controversial" FG away from being something different.
KC game we needed 4 gifts or the outcome was something different.
Dallas game was a missed FG away from being something different.
Pitt game 1 was a starting QB away from being something different.
San Diego game was a 4th and 29 away from being something different.

I tend to be pretty positive, but damn, we are nearly 4-8!

[quote name='1/28/01' timestamp='1354597243' post='1245973']
Its crazy, though:

[/quote]
It happens to alot of team in the NFL though; we are not the exception. The Steelers were very lucky last year too so I'll take any win as a win; however, we are in deep trouble as offensively cuz it seems to me we'll go as far as our offense can take us. We are no longer to count on our defense to win games.

PS: Only score to keep us alive in the playoff and the postseason games and hopefully our defense will come alive when it counts the most.

[quote name='AsianRice' timestamp='1354597757' post='1245978']

It happens to alot of team in the NFL though; we are not the exception. The Steelers were very lucky last year too so I'll take any win as a win; however, we are in deep trouble as offensively cuz it seems to me we'll go as far as our offense can take us. We are no longer to count on our defense to win games.

PS: Only score to keep us alive in the playoff and the postseason games and hopefully our defense will come alive when it counts the most.
[/quote]

Of course it can happen to any team, but this has been a very ugly 9-3 team.

I have faith, but its being tested right now, that's for sure!

[quote name='1/28/01' timestamp='1354598187' post='1245990']
Of course it can happen to any team, but this has been a very ugly 9-3 team.

[/quote]
Well, I hope you have enough nails to bite until the end of the season.......

Identities are overrated.

Bottom line: do you win games? Do you find a way to win, even when you shouldn't? When a team does that, that's all that really matters. Looking good while winning just happens to be icing on the cake.

And let's face it: none of us will complain about this team winning ugly IF they walk away Super Bowl Champions -- big IF.

Frauds

Because of a terrible coaching staff like I've been saying for years! But it's OK guys! We're 9-3!!!!

A team that is being held back by two coordinators who are stuck in their ways and refuse to adapt.

I have seen this happen in other sports, where a coach will go to a new team and bring his gameplans and strategies with him, and just seems unwilling to adapt, and believes if you keep trying to pound square pegs into round holes they will eventually fit.

This Ravens team has a ton of talent, their record speaks to that. We have some coordinators who just aren't utilizing the players to the best of their abilities however, which is why the team hasn't come even close to realizing their full potential. Harbaugh needs to smarten up really soon, and find some coaches who are willing to work with the tools our players have, otherwise it might cost him his job as well, which would be really unfortunate.

Its crazy, though:

I tend to be pretty positive, [u][b]but damn, we are nearly 4-8![/b][/u]
[/quote]
[quote name='1/28/01' timestamp='1354598187' post='1245990']
Of course it can happen to any team, but [u][b]t[b]hi[/b]s has been a very ugly 9-3 team[/b][/u].

[/quote]

my sentiments exactly!

~Mili

We are a self-feeding problem. We are 9-3 so no change will happen. We win enough games and go to the playoffs so no changes will be made. When we lose the problems are "fixable" and we limp along until the next loss and address the same "fixable" problems again. Yes, health has played a huge part in our struggles. The playcalling has undeniably been the other part. If it was a pie chart it would be 80/20.

[quote name='Militant X 1' timestamp='1354637013' post='1246314']
my sentiments exactly!

~Mili
[/quote]

but this does´t work.
we are 9-3 for a reason.
it wash´t all about being lucky.

we took ourselves in the positions to win those games.

if we were 4-8, would it make you feel any better that we are that close to be 9-3? No. so it should´t make you feel worse that we are 9-3 right now and could be 4-8.

the positive thing is that we played not the best football we are able to play and still stand 9-3.

will we be in the SB this year? probably not. why? because i don´t think that we can beat the texans in their home stadium in the AFC title game.

so if you are realistic with your thoughts your day might be better :-)

[quote name='Dfence4champs2052' timestamp='1354638667' post='1246351']
We are a self-feeding problem. We are 9-3 so no change will happen. We win enough games and go to the playoffs so no changes will be made. When we lose the problems are "fixable" and we limp along until the next loss and address the same "fixable" problems again. Yes, health has played a huge part in our struggles. The playcalling has undeniably been the other part. If it was a pie chart it would be 80/20.
[/quote]
i don´t think that we have any other problem than execution.

we are just not productive enough. we let way too many chances slip through our hands...

[quote name='Radinho84' timestamp='1354638789' post='1246355']
i don´t think that we have any other problem than execution.

we are just not productive enough. we let way too many chances slip through our hands...
[/quote]

So Ray Rice not getting the ball isn't a problem? Throwing long bombs on 3 and 1 isn't a problem? Playing 15 yards off receivers and BATCH throwing quick passes all the way down the field isn't a problem? We have execution problems no doubt, but we have playcalling issues to say the least.

[quote name='Dfence4champs2052' timestamp='1354638886' post='1246360']
So Ray Rice not getting the ball isn't a problem? Throwing long bombs on 3 and 1 isn't a problem? Playing 15 yards off receivers and BATCH throwing quick passes all the way down the field isn't a problem? We have execution problems no doubt, but we have playcalling issues to say the least.
[/quote]
i don´t want to say that we have great play calling. it is far from great.
but when you have a wide open receiver on 2nd and 10 and the QB overthrows him, you are in trouble to reach a first down.

if your QB has all the time in the world to throw a pass and your receivers just cannot get open - why is that the coaches fault?

[quote name='Radinho84' timestamp='1354639129' post='1246371']
i don´t want to say that we have great play calling. it is far from great.
but when you have a wide open receiver on 2nd and 10 and the QB overthrows him, you are in trouble to reach a first down.

if your QB has all the time in the world to throw a pass and your receivers just cannot get open - why is that the coaches fault?
[/quote]

Because the coach, after 11 weeks, doesn't recognize that his players aren't getting open -- yet he still calls those same exact plays. Why not call bubble screens, RB screens, slants, have Joe do shuttle passes? There are tons of options to make adjustments too. Don't get me wrong the players have fault in this as well. Certainly.

[quote name='Dfence4champs2052' timestamp='1354639499' post='1246388']
Because the coach, after 11 weeks, doesn't recognize that his players aren't getting open -- yet he still calls those same exact plays. Why not call bubble screens, RB screens, slants, have Joe do shuttle passes? There are tons of options to make adjustments too. Don't get me wrong the players have fault in this as well. Certainly.
[/quote]
well, i think i can agree on the missing adjustments by our coaching staff. they should know their personal better.
they should know what we are able to do and what they wish we could do...

[quote name='Radinho84' timestamp='1354639716' post='1246398']
well, i think i can agree on the missing adjustments by our coaching staff. they should know their personal better.
they should know what we are able to do and what they wish we could do...
[/quote]

It's just frustrating to have all these weapons (Doss, Jacoby, etc.) and they barely see the field. We could be doing so many other formations to at least cause mismatches even if we are going to run. That deception will be apparent on Sunday when we face the Redskins. After watching their game last night....it was a nightmare lol.

[quote name='Radinho84' timestamp='1354638678' post='1246352']
but this does´t work.
we are 9-3 for a reason.

if we were 4-8, would it make you feel any better that we are that close to be 9-3? No. so it should´t make you feel worse that we are 9-3 right now and could be 4-8.

the positive thing is that we played not the best football we are able to play and still stand 9-3.

will we be in the SB this year? probably not. why? because i don´t think that we can beat the texans in their home stadium in the AFC title game.

[u][b]so if you are realistic with your thoughts your day might be better :-)[/b][/u]
[/quote]

the fact that you quoted my three word post stating...."my sentiments exactly"...which was actually a brief agreement with 2 other well thought out and written posts from another poster (which you failed to quote and address) CLEARLY reveals that you are not realistic in your thoughts and that your day is flat out horrible! keep it moving brah! lol!

~Mili

[quote name='Dfence4champs2052' timestamp='1354638667' post='1246351']
[/quote]

This.

Its crazy, though:

[/quote]

Destiny my friend, destiny. Look at the Giants in 2007, they had a horrible stretch of losing games in the regular season, Coughlin was on the hot seat then boom, they turned it on for the post-season and won the Super Bowl. So who knows, it may just happen to us as well.

[quote name='Radinho84' timestamp='1354638678' post='1246352']
but this does´t work.
we are 9-3 for a reason.

so if you are realistic with your thoughts your day might be better :-)
[/quote]

You are right, we are where we are because we are almost a complete team. Special teams at times has scored our only touchdowns this year in games and so has defensive interceptions for touchdowns. We have that something that that allows us to come away with wins in many fashions. We are not a STRONG 9-3 but we are a team that wins on many different levels and it is not always an offense that wins games. We have play makers in all 3 aspects of our game and we are very blessed in that aspect. If Joe has a bad game most times we will get that score from some other means and sometimes we wont but a winning club can score from any side of the ball or situation and that we can do.

I think that make sus exciting and has led me to be a nail biter on Sundays. I think by the end of this season i will have an ulcer as i get to into the game and get upset but when it is all said and done we come out with the W.

We are a poorly coached, injured team that has talent and potential busting from it's seams. Although I don't like to use the word 'luck' when describing their record, the football gods definitely had a hand in our 9-3 season. Their identity is unclear at this point and probably will be unclear until the end of the season, but right now they're the grittiest team that I've seen in a long time. Analysts don't seem to understand how much effort it takes to 'squeak out' a 'lucky' victory.

Its crazy, though:

[/quote]

But we are just as nearly 12 and 0. "What if"s and could, shoulda, woulda are meaningless. We cannot [b]know[/b] what would have happened, since it didnt happen. Never was going to happen. What did happen is exactly what was supposed to happen and the only thing that could happen given all the injuries, weather, and what have you. The only thing we can say for certain is that we are 9-3 and we have been playing questionably. Sometimes fair, sometimes bad.

And also Cam sucks,

[quote name='jaege' timestamp='1354644739' post='1246508']
But we are just as nearly 12 and 0. "[b]What if"s and could, shoulda, woulda are meaningless. We cannot know what would have happened, since it didnt happen. Never was going to happen.[/b] What did happen is exactly what was supposed to happen and the only thing that could happen given all the injuries, weather, and what have you. The only thing we can say for certain is that we are 9-3 and we have been playing questionably. Sometimes fair, sometimes bad.

And also Cam sucks,
[/quote]

Yep. I hate that game. I can go to every team in the NFL playoff race and say would've, should've this. It can go either way. Unless your best friends with Doc Brown who has given you keys to a juiced up ride, no one can predict.

[quote name='PuRock' timestamp='1354645178' post='1246519']
Yep. I hate that game. I can go to every team in the NFL playoff race and say would've, should've this. It can go either way. Unless your best friend with Doc Brown who has given you keys to a juiced up ride, no one can predict.
[/quote]

That is my pet peeve. It is one thing to play the "suppose" game, but to say we "coulda been" with any semblance of belief, it just seems foolish and pointless. Anything "coulda" happened, it just didnt.

We all do have to admit though we have plugged a lot of holes with some decent guys, Graham, Ihedigbo, Ellerbe and finally Kruger is going at it and getting pressure. Now to see Upshaw jump in and be a part of the show as i know he has the speed and strebgth he just needs to slow the game down.

Yes 9-3 is great but they are still the same Offense that has been on a leash since 2008.

There are a lot of great posts on this thread! It is difficult to put a finger on what the problem is and answering the topic question but I agree with most of what has been said. Our team is a conundrum. It is true that great teams find ways to win even when they are not playing well. They are able to ride the crest of an emotional wave and they can even rise above a lot of adversity. Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. However, Albert Einstein defined insanity as doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. It seems like we fit that definition. Yes, we have as gritty of a team as there is in the NFL but something is sorely missing. Motivation comes from within but morale starts at the top. Great teams should also be able to win most of their games when they score twenty points or more. In two of our three losses, we scored 20 points or more but our defense was not up to the task of limiting our opponent to less than 20 points. Let's face it! Our defense is starting to show some wear and tear and it has played hurt for most of the year. There have been years since 2000 when we should have gone to the SB and didn't for one reason or another. Maybe this will be the year we get to the SB when we really didn't seem good enough to get there. It will take some luck and some different game plans in order for us to get there. Calling the same ole plays over and over again is a recipe for disaster. Based on what I saw last night, we will have a hard time beating either the Skins or the Giants and the game with Peyton looms huge. We need to win at least two of the last four games, which looks like a daunting task at this point. They say the cream always rises to the top but the vanilla flavor of our offense is starting to taste bland due to some uncreative play-calling and poor execution.

With the injuries ,they are alot worse then the 2011 Ravens.

Last year's team was a Super Bowl team,this year's team is a 1 and done playoff team ,sad to say.

People are going to hate this, but who were the 2000 Ravens, the 2002 Bucs, the 2007 and 2011 Giants, the 2001 Patriots? Fact is, we won't know anything until playoff time - there always seems like a surefire contender that falls flat on their face in their first playoff game i.e. when the Saints got taken out by the Seahawks, and there's always a team, like the 2008 Cardinals, who surprises everyone.

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1354593083' post='1245894']
To answer your question a Cam Cameron led Ravens on Offense, and an injured Defense.
[/quote]

The defense suffers from too much time on the field and the offense suffers from not enough time on the field.

[quote name='JO_75' timestamp='1354642672' post='1246475']

Destiny my friend, destiny. Look at the Giants in 2007, they had a horrible stretch of losing games in the regular season, Coughlin was on the hot seat then boom, they turned it on for the post-season and won the Super Bowl. So who knows, it may just happen to us as well.
[/quote]

That gives the coaching staff a pass on lack of accountability

The Ravens are either going to win the Super Bowl or their not. End of story.

Pees' playcalling looked a lot like before the bye for some reason.
And on offense, the whole identity issue and refusing to establish/stick to the run...

[quote name='slowhand' timestamp='1354603866' post='1246065']
A team that is being held back by two coordinators who are stuck in their ways and refuse to adapt.

I have seen this happen in other sports, where a coach will go to a new team and bring his gameplans and strategies with him, and just seems unwilling to adapt, and believes if you keep trying to pound square pegs into round holes they will eventually fit.

This Ravens team has a ton of talent, their record speaks to that. We have some coordinators who just aren't utilizing the players to the best of their abilities however, which is why the team hasn't come even close to realizing their full potential. Harbaugh needs to smarten up really soon, and find some coaches who are willing to work with the tools our players have, otherwise it might cost him his job as well, which would be really unfortunate.
[/quote]

Did any of you guys ever consider that your coordinators might be responsible for your 5 straight trips to the post season? Did it ever occur to you that the same football minds who drafted the team you have picked your coaches and obviously believe in them? Teams that are below .500 and don't make the playoffs would love to have your "problem". smh

[quote name='baroquenspirit' timestamp='1354676804' post='1247070']
Did any of you guys ever consider that your coordinators might be responsible for your 5 straight trips to the post season? Did it ever occur to you that the same football minds who drafted the team you have picked your coaches and obviously believe in them? Teams that are below .500 and don't make the playoffs would love to have your "problem". smh
[/quote]

Damn straight. Spoiled I tell you! Don't forget Super Bowls grow on trees and are ripe for the plucking.