Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] John Harbaugh: Ray Rice's Carries Not The Factor In Loss

157 posts in this topic

The Pro Bowl running back didn’t get the ball in the fourth quarter.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/John-Harbaugh-Ray-Rices-Carries-Not-The-Factor-In-Loss/c4cf67e7-9298-4775-9379-02fc93b052c7]View the full article[/url]

Is Harbaugh tripping? The only reason the Ravens lost that game yesterday was the lack of Rice's use. Talk about double talk. I'm losing all respect for the constant inability to finish both games and seasons under Harb.

Give me a break harbs, cam has been this organizations downfall for how long now. I understand the family bond here but we're heading in the same direction as the last couple years where were good enough to make playoffs but we still cant get over the hump. Rice is one of the best running backs in this league for a reason. Just Feed Rice the ball.

There's a really simple equation for this Ray Rice gets around 20 touches, we win. Ray Rice gets less, we lose (or get lucky). That sack/strip of Joe wouldn't have occured if we had called a run play. I understand 2nd and 10 is generally a pass play, but when you have a premier back in Ray Rice, who is a threat to run for a td every play, you should use him or lose him.

that's not want I want to hear right now. No coach would rip their OC in front of media, I hope that behinds closed doors he is saying something completely different to cam. But then again we heard same thing after each other losses the last few years when ray doesn't get carries, so maybe harbs truly does believe it.

harb will fire cam at seasons end. it makes no sense for him to be negative towards cam when we are in playoff contention. he is handling the situation the correct way and will terminate him at the right time.

Rice's carries aren't the problem. It's Rice's lack of carries at times. When he touches the ball, good things tend to happen.

[quote name='The Greek' timestamp='1354576416' post='1245486']
harb will fire cam at seasons end. it makes no sense for him to be negative towards cam when we are in playoff contention. he is handling the situation the correct way and will terminate him at the right time.
[/quote]

I actually really believe that he's genuinely attached to Cameron. I don't know why, but I could easily see him stick around as long as Harbaugh does.

What do you expect the company man to say? The Ravens' organization is having a hard time explaining themselves sometimes.

Harbaugh is clueless as usual. If you had used him more before the 3rd quarter maybe we would have had control of the game, we wouldn't have been in must pass and Joe wouldn't get stripped. There is always a way to defend poor game planning.

If Harbaugh took as much time and energy coaching up his players and not so much telling silly tales to defend a poor coach, well maybe we would be 10-2.

Also that whole challange well it challanges any grasp of reality from JH. Come on John it's on the "BIG" screen, very obviously an incomplete pass.

Maybe no matter what we lose. Why do we keep going through this Rice stuff??

If that wasn't a factor then what was the factor? That's the only thing I can think of today is Ray Rice - Zero carries in the 4th quarter. Same old statements after loses when Ray doesn't get the ball enough. You paid the man now play the man!

What is Harbaugh talking about? They were winning the game 20-13.. They need to stop trying to turn Flacco into something he's not and probably will never be. Play to your strength on the offensive side of the ball and keep Flacco from making bonehead plays and keep your defense off the field. Ray Rice is the Baltimore Ravens offense not Flacco. There was no reason on gods green earth they should've been passing the ball the way they did yesterday especially the way Rice & Pierce were running the ball.

The important "factor" is Harbaugh, Cameron, and Pees were out-coached AGAIN. No way we should have lost that game last night except for bad coaching//game planning.

@steelraven - That play reminds me when they lost the last time to the Steelers at home. Passing when you should have been running. Actually after that game Tomlin admitted they blitz Troy because they new that with a lead that Baltimore would run the ball. Was surprised that they passed? At least you made the opponent guess wrong, but the decision you made was bone head!

Well the good thing about it is when is the last time we lost two games in a row? So we are still in control of the division. We are still going to make it to the playoffs. The skins will feel the wrath...

Look I know why Harbs is so defensive of Cam and their strategic debacles when it comes to situational football. For the first three years everyone complained that Cam was too predictable and didn't open up the passing game with Joe. Last year it started being, if you have a beast in Rice, feed the beast. I think Harbs has just become resentful because of this "the fans will never be satisfied" type of mentality that makes him defend Cam.

If he wants to defend the "situational football" ethos, then let's talk situational football. It's the fourth quarter. You're up 20-13. Pinned deep in your own territory. Your RBs are averaging 6.5 yards a carry at this point, and you're playing the number 1 defense in the league. Which genius in their right mind, given that situation, would proceed to call 3 straight passing plays!?

C'mon John!

After some careful thinking...I think we are fortunate to be 9-3. If Jacoby doesn't run back a return for a TD the first Pitt game, the Chargers don't let a 4th and 29 get converted on a dump pass, we could be sitting here at 7-5 looking at a schedule that still includes the Broncos and Giants. Boy's lets be fortunate and move on to the next game. One thing about the Ravens we never panic...we may give away games from time to time but we don't panic.

[quote name='baltimore1975' timestamp='1354578549' post='1245536']
After some careful thinking...I think we are fortunate to be 9-3. [b]If Jacoby doesn't run back a return for a TD the first Pitt game[/b], the [b]Chargers don't let a 4th and 29 get converted [/b]on a dump pass, we could be sitting here at 7-5 looking at a schedule that still includes the Broncos and Giants. Boy's lets be fortunate and move on to the next game. One thing about the Ravens we never panic...we may give away games from time to time but we don't panic.
[/quote]

and if the Cowboys don't miss that game-winning FG.

~Mili

Okay. I've been in the minority, I've supported Cam for a while. Then this season I got mad at Joe, and that's when I realized, that it's not Joe at all. It's so obvious he won't throw completions because the defense knows we'll just pass the ball every time and leave our potential All Pro running back alone.

Gah. Just get a new O coordinator next year please.

John Harbaugh's ego is a little to much at times. He catches attitudes with reporters all the time. He can't admit or even acknowledge the fact that cam screwed that game up on offense. If you are averaging 6.5 yards per run by rice on the ground, their isn't one reason i'm buying what hes telling everyone. John Harbaugh is the culprit behind this all. Cam was off the books last year and he brought his buddy back, and now its costing the team.

cam needs to go that's all there is to it. I hope our coaches and everyone else who runs this team reads these things. I think the fans have spoken so maybe take into consideration that every article I read thousands of fans think the same thing. the play calling is a joke. if we pass the ball on 2nd and 3 one more time were all gonna go insane. time to make a change and that's that.

JH cannot single his OC out! He has to stand by him or fire him! At his point in the season we are stuck with Cam, but if our offense is what knocks us out of a superbowl Cam goes or the fans will get increasingly frustrated with JH, regardless of his impressive record with the ravens!

what i find amazing is how the texans dont have trouble getting arian foster the ball, the vikings dont have trouble give adrian peterson the ball, the 49ers dont have trouble getting frank gore the ball so why in gods name when the best running back in the league is averaging 6.5 yards per carry against the number 1 defense in the nfl doesnt he touch the ball A SINGLE TIME in the 4th quarter?

Typical standard answer from Harbaugh after a loss, CAM is never to blame. Thanks again John for keeping Cam here.

Yeah you go on thinking that Harbs...and you'll be out the door with Cam. The arrogance displayed with this coaching staff is stunning.

Is Harbs on crack not running ball kept alot of time on the clock and you won`t ever know what outcome would have been. One thing is the clock would have kept going not 3 and out and 40 seconds off clock. Come on is he in denial be honost you and your staff screwed up and this is the hardest part of the loss not taking blame.Ray rice and pierce were both having good games and you took the ball out of thier hands and put in a player who was having an awful game because he and the OC Cam are just way to unpredictable and in a bad way. Why make stupid comments like this he is getting bad as cam he needs to take some lessons from his younger brother..Theese dumb comments insult the intellegence of the fans who do know football. Sell that bullcrap to someone as dumb as you and your staff if you believe that crap. Unreal

I'm sick of the same crap every week!!Ray Rice needs to start demanding his carries!! Rice and Torrey are the Offense!!Cam thinks Joe is Brady or Manning and maybe he could be but not with Cam as the OC!!!!!Rice should have ran the ball on atleast 5 of the 8 plays in the 4th Quarter,instead he gets Zilch!!I sometimes wish Jim Harbs was our coach cause he knows how to call plays!!FIRE Cam!! FIRE CAM!! FIRE CAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have all the players we need to make first downs easily, I love Pitta, probably my favorite offensive player, Smith, Q, RR, Bernard, even Leach is boss, but Cam just lacks creativity, Yeah we said we want Joe to throw more, and then Ray Rice to run more, because he goes lopsided on one or the other, equal it out and mix it up

For the record the 4th q started with us up 20-13 at our 20 and a 3rd and 15... Passed, punted.

Then Eddie picked it off and we started at the 27 with 10:59 left.

Pass to Quan gain of 6.

Run by Pierce loss of 1.

And then Joe did what Joe does in crucial situations. Proof? CBS immediately replayed the clip of Polamalus strip-sack.

Next series pass to Leach, gain of 12.
Pass to Torrey, overthrown.
Pass to Doss dropped
Pass to Pitta, overthrown while getting hit from behind by

I'm tired of hearing this after every loss. Feed Ray! How can you forget about him in crunch time a week after he bailed the entire team out with a 4th and 29 conversion. Baffling, frustrating, and hard to stomach. Simplify the offense and get back to what we have done in the past. I bet the pass will open up when we need it.

That recap goes to show that Harbs broke from his usual Spartan-like discipline on playing conservative field-position football against the Steelers. And we payed dearly.

For all of you that are crying the blues about the Ravens lost to the Steelers this past Sunday you have to realize the Steelers have the number one Defence in the NFL and that defence showed up to play this past Sunday . The Steelers will not be in the Play offs put the Ravens will be in the play offs .

Here we go again,Harb's have no say when it comes to the offense,Special Team Coach,let's Cam drive the offense in the ground.No balance because he want's to air it out all the time and Flacco is still inconsistent even at home.Starting to see his over and under throws more often in games.What is with Oher how can you allow that strip fumble to happened when you suppose too be the Blindside beast,but when we really needed him to protect Flacco he buckled at the knees and gave Harrison confidence again with that turn over.Now we have to pray that we don't have to fight for the division again when we could have made a bold statement.Guess not,next up Skins,lets get this next win Ravens!

If you're going to throw it 50 times (which you shouldn't) at least be creative in the routes. It either a hook or go route with Cameron.

So you didnt run the ball because you didnt run the ball and ended up in 3rd and long situations? Well that makes perfect sense! Aside from the fact that we were leading in the 4th, our 3rd highest paid running back in nfl history was sharing carries with a rookie who wasnt doing nearly as well, run and short passes working well so we go to deep passes (all dropped) for no apparent reason and thats just the amazing coaching! Flacco's complete lack of pocket awareness, pump fakin, scrambling, and throwin the ball away (you know, those things you swore your gonna work on someday) receivers lack of ability to get open (great routes) let alone whoever gave em the buttered popcorn before the game. At any rate, nothin the big book of cliches cant handle....let that one get away, didnt play up to your potential, just couldnt finish, counted your chickens before they hatched...ahh the classics! How bout we stunk the place up, here's why and here's how we're gonna fix it! That'd be so much more refreshing.

id put the blame more on flacco holding the ball way too long or soaring it on a lot of passes and dean pees' horrible coverage schemes. pierce played really well and showed some strong running, with rice not really getting much done early in the game.

Plenty of blame to go around in this one. Poor offense, poor defense, poor coaching. How can you win with that trifecta?

I love Harbaugh and to be honest, for the most part, when he does conferences I'm almost positive he holds back what he really wants to say because that is how he is. He is not the type of coach to bash his team in front of the media. He does that behind close doors as it should be. But, if this is how he really feels, than I'm just going to have to strongly disagree with him. Rice getting the ball 13 times and not getting the ball at all in the 4th quarter when we had a lead is inexcusable. The Steelers have the #1 ranked defense against the pass and the game plan Cam came up with to go out there and try and throw deep passes every other play was just idiotic. Both Rice and Pierce were running well that night and they both should have been more involved, especially in the second half.

[quote name='Zeus' timestamp='1354581738' post='1245596']
Typical standard answer from Harbaugh after a loss, CAM is never to blame. Thanks again John for keeping Cam here.
[/quote]

Harbaugh definitely has a good deal to do with who is on this team, but ultimately Steve and Ozzie do the hiring and firing. Let's not forget about that.