Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blitzking33

Harbaugh-Tomlin Handshake Exchange

95 posts in this topic

Did anyone see Mike Tomlin totally blow off John Harbaugh after the game when they were approaching for the handshake? Harbaugh congratulated him and he just walked the other way until Harbaugh pulled him back.. There is a video on NFL.com..

By Tomlin's reaction, you would believe they lost the game, poor sportsmanship.

Video: http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-steelers/0ap2000000104700/Tomlin-Harbaugh-heated-handshake

There was absolutely no reason for Tomlin to blow off Harbaugh like that.

I've always thought of Tomlin as un upstanding, respectable coach. This just seems petty and childish.

Definitely not courteous but what do you expect? It's Steelers and Ravens, Tomlin is a jerk, nothing is new...

[quote name='terpsnation' timestamp='1354499464' post='1243582']

I've always thought of Tomlin as un upstanding, respectable coach. This just seems petty and childish.
[/quote]

This. Wow. Didn't see this until just now, but ridiculous. Have some respect.

[quote name='berad' timestamp='1354499563' post='1243593']
Definitely not courteous but what do you expect? It's Steelers and Ravens, Tomlin is a jerk, nothing is new...
[/quote]

Yeah but there is usually some respect there, at least from what I've seen.

[quote name='bauer77' timestamp='1354499609' post='1243599']
Yeah but there is usually some respect there, at least from what I've seen.
[/quote]

I know, Tomlin is a jerk. He was screaming 'bad call' at a ref earlier in the game on a completely legitimate one.

[quote name='berad' timestamp='1354499674' post='1243603']
I know, Tomlin is a jerk. He was screaming 'bad call' at a ref earlier in the game on a completely legitimate one.
[/quote]

Yeah i saw that too. Tomlin has always come off (to me anyway) as a cocky jerk. No reason for this.

i'm not surprised! i actually like tomlins' take no prisoners attitude as a coach but remember 2 weeks ago he called the Ravens; "nameless gray faces!" and now this? show's how he really feels about the rivalry.

~Mili

[/quote]

HAHAHA. You're going to tell me Harbaugh never hassles the refs?

[quote name='tctony' timestamp='1354499918' post='1243636']
[/quote]
He obviously didnt see that PATS game.

I'm glad to see that despite a loss, Harbs has humility and can be a good sport.

Doctor Foreman however... c'mon man, you're a coach, be a stand-up guy and set an example for your players...

Win and lose like a gentleman. I am obviously a lady, but I remember my father saying that all the time when I was growing up. He believed in that philosophy, and I am saddened to see that Mike Tomlin appears to not.

[quote name='BALTIMOREFLACCO' timestamp='1354500284' post='1243668']
I'm pretty mind blown, thought they liked/respected eachother
[/quote]
Exactly, the talk all week is how both teams "liked" eachother. They said Ryan Clark came over to the Ravens lockerroom after their loss 2 weeks ago and laughing and having fun. Shamed to see Tomlin this way. Had much respect for the guy as a coach till now.

Uncharacteristic of Tomlin... Think Tomlin allowed himself to get distracted on something else when he should have been focused on the coach's goodbye/congratulatory handshake... certainly his bad on this one...

[quote name='Militant X 1' timestamp='1354499870' post='1243629']
i'm not surprised! i actually like tomlins' take no prisoners attitude as a coach but remember 2 weeks ago he called the Ravens; "nameless gray faces!" and now this? show's how he really feels about the rivalry.

~Mili
[/quote]lol the Steelers act like they don't care but they clearly do.

[quote name='blitzking33' timestamp='1354499310' post='1243565']
Did anyone see Mike Tomlin totally blow off John Harbaugh after the game when they were approaching for the handshake? Harbaugh congratulated him and he just walked the other way until Harbaugh pulled him back.. There is a video on NFL.com..

Video: [url="http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-steelers/0ap2000000104700/Tomlin-Harbaugh-heated-handshake"]http://www.nfl.com/v...eated-handshake[/url]
[/quote]

The man said, "Thank you, good job." What do you want him to do, kiss him?

[quote name='display name' timestamp='1354501536' post='1243751']
I just lost a lot of respect for that guy.
[/quote]

Because he said, "Thank you, good job?"

I'm sure I'll be in the minority on this forum, but I think Harbaugh made too much of the situation by pulling Tomlin back like that. Tomlin is a grown man (and in IMHO a far better HC than Harbaugh, but I digress), and even though Harbaugh might've felt like he didn't get the proper amount of respect and acknowledgment with that hand shake, there was no reason to call Tomlin out the way he did.

It's very possible that Tomlin actually DID have more important things on his mind at that point than exchanging a lovey-dovey greeting with Harbaugh. It might not be professional, but I'm sure we've all been in situations where we're so distracted with something that we inadvertently diss someone who's trying to talk to us. I think this situation between Tomlin and Harbaugh is a display of Harbaugh's arrogance more than Tomlin's. It's the same type of "I am the center of the world and know everything" type of arrogance that Harbaugh routinely displays in his pressers.

[quote name='Ragin'Raven' timestamp='1354500333' post='1243670']
Win and lose like a gentleman.[b] I am obviously a lady,[/b] but I remember my father saying that all the time when I was growing up. He believed in that philosophy, and I am saddened to see that Mike Tomlin appears to not.
[/quote]

Your webcam must not be working properly.

Don't blame Omar guys, he felt incredibly lucky to win out in Baltimore and he wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible. Or, he's just a jerk. Probably the latter. I hope we meet him in the playoffs, and when we bounce them Harbs shakes his hand and says congratulations again like a gentleman should while I flick him off from the comfort of my living room.

[quote name='Raving_Heathen' timestamp='1354501807' post='1243767']
I'm sure I'll be in the minority on this forum, but I think Harbaugh made too much of the situation by pulling Tomlin back like that. Tomlin is a grown man (and in IMHO a far better HC than Harbaugh, but I digress), and even though Harbaugh might've felt like he didn't get the proper amount of respect and acknowledgment with that hand shake, there was no reason to call Tomlin out the way he did.

It's very possible that Tomlin actually DID have more important things on his mind at that point than exchanging a lovey-dovey greeting with Harbaugh. It might not be professional, but I'm sure we've all been in situations where we're so distracted with something that we inadvertently diss someone who's trying to talk to us. I think this situation between Tomlin and Harbaugh is a display of Harbaugh's arrogance more than Tomlin's. It's the same type of "I am the center of the world and know everything" type of arrogance that Harbaugh routinely displays in his pressers.
[/quote]

Um no, you *ahem, let me not be like a Steelers fan*. It's not 'arrogant' to expect a certain degree of respect, and exchanging congratulations and 'good jobs' is just as important as anything else a coach does. You don't see Harbs doing that to Tomlin every time we go in their house and whoop them, or when we have whooped them at home all these times do you? Does he let 'other 'important' things' distract him from giving Tomlin the respect he deserves? Nope. It's professional, and there's never a good excuse to not be professional, period.

i dont think Tomlin cared to much for the whole ray rice terrible towel thing so idk maybe thats his way of responding..idk i think im wrong but just a thought

Who cares... you shouldn't have to kiss the arses of the opposition .. Sportsmanship, to me... is a little league thing. This is a job

[quote name='H8R' timestamp='1354503957' post='1243896']
Who cares... you shouldn't have to kiss the arses of the opposition .. Sportsmanship, to me... is a little league thing. This is a job
[/quote]

And this is part of that job. It is what the coaches do. They show respect to each other and shake hands.

I don't think it's the big deal that the media has already attempted to turn it into however, Tomlin was disrespectful for some reason. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt since usually that is not the case. That doesn't mean he wasn't disrespectful in this particular instance though.

[quote name='tctony' timestamp='1354499918' post='1243636']
[/quote]

Before you yuck it up: he always does, I never said Harbaugh wasn't a jerk. But Tomlin, who most claim is 'above' such things, did too.

[/quote]I agree I dont see anything wrong with the handshake at all and if anything Harbaugh tried to pull Tomlin back like he wasnt finished with him or something. It adds to the rivalry like I said if anything and I actually am glad it happened if that is the case makes things even more interesting. The bottom line is it happened it's over with now and hopefully both Tomlin and Harbaugh dont make a bigger deal about it then it needs to be.

Pretty rude, but I can understand that there was tension there. We was probably drained from the emotional, last-play upset.

[/quote]There were many bad calls--the Steelers were skipping off the field like they won the Super Bowl

Of all the things that went wrong in this game, we're talking about a handshake. Haha, OK.

umm...can we just stop talking about the steelers now? my head hurts! let's focus on:

redskins
giants
broncos
bengals

~Mili

[quote name='Militant X 1' timestamp='1354506186' post='1244030']
umm...can we just stop talking about the steelers now? my head hurts! let's focus on:

redskins
giants
broncos
bengals

~Mili
[/quote]I knew there was a reason I like you!

yeah, let's focus more on the handshake instead of the fact the ravens couldn't put together a good looking drive to save their lives right about now

Its common courtesy to meet the opposing coach in the middle of the field, this just furthers my hate for the Steelers. An arrogant, disrespectful move on their coach. Harbaugh looked at him like "Dude...what the heck was that?". Tomlin didn't even look like he was seeking John Harbaugh out....

[quote name='Militant X 1' timestamp='1354506186' post='1244030']

redskins
giants
broncos
bengals

~Mili
[/quote]

Charlie freakin' Batch. It's really more calming to talk about a handshake than think about RGIII and the Manning brothers after what we saw tonight.

Just sayin' lol

[quote name='ravensdfan' timestamp='1354506984' post='1244074']
Charlie freakin' Batch. [u][b]It's really more calming to talk about a handshake than think about RGIII and the Manning brothers [/b][/u]after what we saw tonight.

Just sayin' lol
[/quote]

maybe...but we still got to talk about them cause they're all up next. lol!

~Mili

[quote name='blitzking33' timestamp='1354499310' post='1243565']

Video: [url="http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-steelers/0ap2000000104700/Tomlin-Harbaugh-heated-handshake"]http://www.nfl.com/v...eated-handshake[/url]
[/quote]Tomlin is one of the best coaches in the league and always has the upmost respect for the opponents team. There must have been a reason. Maybe, the cocky attitude Harbaugh seems to have most of the time. He Coached the game as if the Ravens had it in the bag.

[quote name='SteelerStorm' timestamp='1354509115' post='1244161']
Tomlin is one of the best coaches in the league and always has the upmost respect for the opponents team.
[/quote]Apparently not.

[/quote]I couldn't have said it any better, thanks for your honesty.

They were both wrong. Steelers fans can officially get over themselves with all the "we're so classy" garbage. The Rooneys are great but here Tomlin acted like a tool. Harbaugh effed up too and looked like a jerk.

It's the Steelers - Ravens people. When have these two teams ever been known as best friends? Hell, we all saw how they were feuding over everything tonight.

Nothing taken by it.

[quote name='i82much' timestamp='1354510673' post='1244203']
They were both wrong. Steelers fans can officially get over themselves with all the "we're so classy" garbage. The Rooneys are great but here Tomlin acted like a tool. Harbaugh effed up too and looked like a jerk.
[/quote]

When did he look like a jerk? When Harbaugh was jerking him back after the first handshake? Or while he was saying, "thank you, good job?"

As a Steelers fan, I watched this a couple times to make sure I didn't miss anything. I don't see the big deal. Tomlin probably didn't give Harbaugh his proper time due to being distracted or simply not caring. Harbaugh in typical Harbaugh (either Harbaugh) form, got all pissy obviously perceiving that he had been disrespected in some way. Tomln handled it perfectly. He simply said thank you and good job to stop Harbaugh from being even sillier. Situation ended and Tomlin could get on with his business. No big deal, everyone moves on. If you watch Tomln over time, you would know that he doesn't behave in a catty manner. He's ALL business and sticks to what matters. Zero change Tomlin intentionally tried to disrespect Harbaugh. He may have unintentionally done so but squashed it immediately.

[quote name='terpsnation' timestamp='1354499464' post='1243582']

[/quote]
This

I don't understand it either