29 replies to this topic

#1 Footman DCXLV

Footman DCXLV

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

I'm sure we've all heard (and maybe in the case of Troy Smith, experienced) the saying that a team's back-up quarterback is the most popular guy in town. And, that's probably still true for teams without a great starting quarterback. But, I've noticed something in these forums over the last couple of years, most recently in a thread about whether or not to re-sign Anquan Boldin. The most popular guy in town no longer seems to be our back-up quarterback. It's a young receiver on the bottom on our depth chart.

LaQuan Williams, Tandon Doss, Demetrius Williams, Marcus Smith, Tommy Streeter, Justin Harper, Deonte Thompson. Do any of these names ring a bell? They should if you've been a regular here for a while. Every year there's somebody, usually somebody whose production is no better than the year before while their reputation and support is, who we as Ravens fans follow during the pre-season, analyzing every rare catch that they make, and seeing only the positive route-running or speed in catches they don't make. We see them on the inactive list week after week, and finally feel a rush of excitement when they're activated. We talk of their potential in these forums as much as we talk about players who actually have receptions every week.

Is it like this for every team? We're not the only ones bringing in undrafted, or late-round receivers who have to fight just to make the team. And, surely most of them serve a year or two before being cut and never heard from again, as most NFL players do that only the most loyal of fans knew about to begin with. So, are they analyzed and clamored over as much by fans of teams who seem to be receiver factories like Green Bay and San Diego of years past, or is this just a lasting effect of going so long without a formidable passing attack?

I'm as big a homer as anybody, and I'll pay more attention to Tandon Doss and LaQuan Williams with their combined 9 career catches than I'll pay to any other team's #3 receiver who has a a catch in more weeks than not. But, after Sergio Kindle and two years of hearing how Tandon Doss looks like he plays with Stick'em...in practice...deep down, I think I'm starting to take an "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude.

I don't expect this to change, and I'll be right there with the rest of you thinking about how great so-and-so could be one day, and happily moving to the next project when it doesn't pan out, because, hey, it has to work one day, right? But, all I know is one thing: When it comes to popularity and support grossly outweighing production and even game-time, the back-up quarterback is no longer the most supported and talked about player, at least not in Baltimore. It's that oh-so-close-to-breaking-out receiver who struggles to hold the #4 spot on the depth chart from one year to the next. And, I just can't wait to see what he does this year.

Posted Image

#2 cobrajet

cobrajet

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

I hear you brother and I could not agree more with your post. It is funny in a way, I felt the same way toward Laquan, I really like that kid and wanted him to get a lot of playing time this year, but with Jacoby playing so well this year that was not going to happen.

#3 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,276 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

Jacoby is lighting up on the ST and the offense as well; it's just tough for anyone behind him to catch up on him when it is a rabbit race, and Jacoby is surely a fast rabbit. Besides, it's Cam's offense anyway....
2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#4 quoth_the_raven_neverscore

quoth_the_raven_neverscore

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

I'm sure we've all heard (and maybe in the case of Troy Smith, experienced) the saying that a team's back-up quarterback is the most popular guy in town. And, that's probably still true for teams without a great starting quarterback. But, I've noticed something in these forums over the last couple of years, most recently in a thread about whether or not to re-sign Anquan Boldin. The most popular guy in town no longer seems to be our back-up quarterback. It's a young receiver on the bottom on our depth chart.

LaQuan Williams, Tandon Doss, Demetrius Williams, Marcus Smith, Tommy Streeter, Justin Harper, Deonte Thompson. Do any of these names ring a bell? They should if you've been a regular here for a while. Every year there's somebody, usually somebody whose production is no better than the year before while their reputation and support is, who we as Ravens fans follow during the pre-season, analyzing every rare catch that they make, and seeing only the positive route-running or speed in catches they don't make. We see them on the inactive list week after week, and finally feel a rush of excitement when they're activated. We talk of their potential in these forums as much as we talk about players who actually have receptions every week.

Is it like this for every team? We're not the only ones bringing in undrafted, or late-round receivers who have to fight just to make the team. And, surely most of them serve a year or two before being cut and never heard from again, as most NFL players do that only the most loyal of fans knew about to begin with. So, are they analyzed and clamored over as much by fans of teams who seem to be receiver factories like Green Bay and San Diego of years past, or is this just a lasting effect of going so long without a formidable passing attack?

I'm as big a homer as anybody, and I'll pay more attention to Tandon Doss and LaQuan Williams with their combined 9 career catches than I'll pay to any other team's #3 receiver who has a a catch in more weeks than not. But, after Sergio Kindle and two years of hearing how Tandon Doss looks like he plays with Stick'em...in practice...deep down, I think I'm starting to take an "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude.

I don't expect this to change, and I'll be right there with the rest of you thinking about how great so-and-so could be one day, and happily moving to the next project when it doesn't pan out, because, hey, it has to work one day, right? But, all I know is one thing: When it comes to popularity and support grossly outweighing production and even game-time, the back-up quarterback is no longer the most supported and talked about player, at least not in Baltimore. It's that oh-so-close-to-breaking-out receiver who struggles to hold the #4 spot on the depth chart from one year to the next. And, I just can't wait to see what he does this year.

i personally am hoping to see streeter out there next season in a big way...
"All we got is EACH OTHER and that's all that matters! That's ALL THAT MATTERS!"

#5 Footman DCXLV

Footman DCXLV

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

I'd love to see that, too. For years it was "we have the slowest receiving core in the league." Now, we have Smith and Jones. But, we've definitely never had that guy you can just throw a jump-ball to and expect him to get it more often than not. If that huge body could play like we all dream he could, that's a completely new element to an offense like this.
And, that's the whole point of this thread. If just one of these guys lived up to the potential we all think they have, we'd light up the scoreboard. And, if we think they ALL have this kind of potential, who knows? But, I bet every fanbase feels that way. All that matters is what happens on Sundays.

Posted Image

#6 rlh445

rlh445

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,829 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

Posted Image

This is football, not teacups with the Queen.

#7 display name

display name

Gotham's Reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

I know EXACTLY what the OP is talking about.
We as fans often do the same thing coaches do with every player during the offseason. We must assume that if they don't play, it's for a reason.

The Raven, on 03 Jan 2012-624 PM, said:

"You have reached your quota of negative votes for the day"

VIVA LA BUTT-FUMBLE!!!

Malkavian Raven, on 4 June 2014, said: "Display's off his meds again. Alert the white coats with the butterfly nets."

#8 BALTIMOREFLACCO

BALTIMOREFLACCO

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,692 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:02 PM

After Eron Riley, Marcus Smith, and JustiN Harper lol.

I agree with you, as of late it's been an "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude for me as well.

23mn1x.jpg

Thank god I was born a Texas Longhorn

Whiskey Sour GM

#9 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,194 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:05 PM

I once thought (and wrote) that Demetrius Williams would be a big time star for us. Shameful, I know.

People get hyped on not only receivers but also DBs and pass-rushers.
a9skd1.jpg

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#10 rlh445

rlh445

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,829 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:11 PM

I once thought (and wrote) that Demetrius Williams would be a big time star for us. Shameful, I know.

No worries berad, I thought Spiderman was gonna be a great one if we just gave him time and a decent QB.

This is football, not teacups with the Queen.

#11 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,990 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:24 AM

I thought he'd be great too. He had so many flashes of it too.

#12 Guest_RBates_*

Guest_RBates_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:13 AM

Deonte Thompson> Tandon Doss.

#13 flaccopoe

flaccopoe

Can not follow rules

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:49 AM

The Jets are in a similar situation- and I'm not talking about Tebow. They had no viable receivers coming into the season and then they lose Holmes for the season. Now they're just experimenting with a bunch of no-names and hoping they pan out, to no avail so far. Same applies to their offensive line, which has been a disaster this year. The Steelers are also now in this situation, what with all the injuries and Mike Wallace's mysterious drop in performance.
<p><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);"><span style="font-size:24px;">Banned</span></span>.</p>

#14 PeRK82

PeRK82

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

LaQuan Williams, Tandon Doss, Demetrius Williams, Marcus Smith, Tommy Streeter, Justin Harper, Deonte Thompson. Do any of these names ring a bell? They should if you've been a regular here for a while. Every year there's somebody, usually somebody whose production is no better than the year before while their reputation and support is, who we as Ravens fans follow during the pre-season, analyzing every rare catch that they make, and seeing only the positive route-running or speed in catches they don't make. We see them on the inactive list week after week, and finally feel a rush of excitement when they're activated

Everyone knows how i feel about LQ Williams and still think this guy needs a opportunity. He already tears it up and is our Fastest gunner on SP.Teams. D.Reed is actually the fastest but he hasn't been in the line up.

#15 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:31 PM

I agree. My issue is that we see our starters have trouble getting open, but the yonger guys aren't given a chance. They must not really be as good as we think. Doss has great hands but what else have we seen from him? He already has a drop (I think 2) in a game as well.

LaQuann is great on special teams though.

The one player I think has a ton of potential is Streeter. Scouts said had he stayed in college for another year he may have been a 1st or 2nd round pick. He is the one receiver on the team that is really underdeveloped more than just not being that great to start. He was put on IR so he pretty much missed out on a year of practice. I thought that was very stupid.

Also remember James Hardy? We all thought he was the next big thing. Super tall and with good hands. He was out Tommy Streeter of 2011.

Edited by dhstandard, 02 December 2012 - 12:43 PM.

2yno6dx.png

#16 D-Rey

D-Rey

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

Deonte Thompson> Tandon Doss.

Why because he's fast? Thats all he is lol. Doss is a way better WR than Thompson. Way better hands and route running. I hope Streeter pans out. Imagine Flacco throwing it up to him in the endzone. Not many CBs would be able to beat him.

Love it....when a crazy starts talking jibberish, we're like vultures

#17 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

Why because he's fast? Thats all he is lol. Doss is a way better WR than Thompson. Way better hands and route running. I hope Streeter pans out. Imagine Flacco throwing it up to him in the endzone. Not many CBs would be able to beat him.

Where has he shown he has good route running? I know it's better than Thompson because of how raw he was but Doss hasn't shown me he has such great route running skills.

2yno6dx.png

#18 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,497 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

Agreed. The depth chart is set up where the best receiver is playing.

Torrey > Boldin > Jacoby > Doss > LaQuan > Thompson > Streeter/Reed

If Thompson was that good, he'd be playing. He may have tons of potential, but there's a reason he's this low on the depth chart right now.

#19 D-Rey

D-Rey

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

Where has he shown he has good route running? I know it's better than Thompson because of how raw he was but Doss hasn't shown me he has such great route running skills.

I said he's a better route runner than Thompson which is true. His route running hasn't been bad. Have you seen him play?

Edited by D-Rey, 02 December 2012 - 12:53 PM.

#20 D-Rey

D-Rey

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

Agreed. The depth chart is set up where the best receiver is playing.

Torrey > Boldin > Jacoby > Doss > LaQuan > Thompson > Streeter/Reed

If Thompson was that good, he'd be playing. He may have tons of potential, but there's a reason he's this low on the depth chart right now.

Ya I like Thompson, he's just not there yet. And certainly not a better WR than Doss. Doss has played very well when given the opportunities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users