9 replies to this topic

#1 Ragin'Raven

Ragin'Raven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

It's officially our first Christmas season in Maryland, and I have to say how exciting and enjoyable it was to string up Christmas lights outside today! Having spent the past 10+ years in sunny Florida, Christmas lights just look different on the house. We used to put them up, and we actually decorated a couple of the palm trees we had in the front yard. This year, I'm hoping for snow and some pretty scenery for the lights! :)

Speaking of, does anyone have any great recommendations around the area for viewing lights?

Edited by Ragin'Raven, 01 December 2012 - 03:38 PM.

I'm a mama of three boys. Nothing scares or disgusts me anymore. 

#2 Moderator 2

Moderator 2

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,808 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

We go to Lights in the Bay at Sandy Point State park, money supports the neonatal intensive care unit at one of the local hospitals.
Ill take Fl, can't wait to move there.

My front yard looks like someone puked Christmas, my son is the original Elf and he's not yet done smh.
68f2a8.jpg

#3 poescrows

poescrows

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

Go downtown Bmore........http://baltimore.about.com/od/livinginbaltimore/ig/Hampden-Christmas-Lights/ . The entire block is lit up. I suggest you park nearby and walk through it though as you cant go slow enough by car to take it all in. For a great drive through show, check out the "Lights on the Bay" at the Sandy Point State park....http://dc.about.com/od/christmasevents/a/LightsontheBay.htm
Hey Steeler fans......we now have 2 rings. One for each middle finger! TADA GAN IARRACHT

#4 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,143 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

Near the Columbia Mall they do the Columbia Symphony of Lights which is a drive-through show of Christmas lights

Baltimore has a ton of great lights

And, if you want to go that far (or for people nearby), the National Zoo in Washington DC holds Zoo Lights, where they light the path through the zoo. Very cool.
a9skd1.jpg

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#5 Ragin'Raven

Ragin'Raven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

We go to Lights in the Bay at Sandy Point State park, money supports the neonatal intensive care unit at one of the local hospitals.
Ill take Fl, can't wait to move there.

My front yard looks like someone puked Christmas, my son is the original Elf and he's not yet done smh.

Thank you! :) Florida was beautiful at Christmas, simply because where we were was about five minutes from UF (Gainesville), and it was always festive there around Christmas time. But I am actually really looking forward to snow. Michael, my 4-year-old has been in snow when we've gone back to visit relatives in Ohio, but he said the other day, "mama, when it snows, I'm gonna be so excited!!" :) And our youngest, Andrew, was a tiny baby when we went back home early this year, so he's really never seen it, and he's getting to the age where it's fun to watch his expressions change when he sees something he likes. So for that reason, and because I loved snow growing up, I'm excited this year. I remember the news last year hearing of the snow events on the East coast, and I'm sort of hoping for one or two of those this year (probably the only one that would admit that I know). ^_^ We had a dusting last winter down there, but even north central Florida as we were, there was obviously no way it stuck around once it hit the ground. Our next adventure is picking out our tree. We always had artificial ones, but this year, we're going to go out and buy a real one.

#6 Ragin'Raven

Ragin'Raven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

Thank you guys so much for the recommendations! We're going to the zoo for Breakfast with Santa on the 16th. I will have to include what all you guys have said as part of what we'll take the boys around to as well! :)

#7 Moderator 2

Moderator 2

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,808 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

You know what else is cool? Gettysburg Outlets are lit up gorgeous and have free horse and buggy rides-- I'm taking my niece, nephew and toddler next Friday and Sandy Point the following weekend. I'm doing my best to get in the spirit, my mom died 2 yrs ago 2 days after Christmas and I can't seem to get with it. My 20 yo is something else, like I said Elf, from the time he was 2 he would stare at the lighted tree and watch the train go around and around for hours.

Going up 97 you can see the snow on the mountain from Ski Round top or Liberty if they are making snow. I don't know where you live, I'm in NW Baltimore Co and Gettysburg is less then 45 mins, Sandy Point a lot farther. They also do Christmas Karaoke and have Santa in Gettysburg too lol
68f2a8.jpg

#8 Ragin'Raven

Ragin'Raven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

You know what else is cool? Gettysburg Outlets are lit up gorgeous and have free horse and buggy rides-- I'm taking my niece, nephew and toddler next Friday and Sandy Point the following weekend. I'm doing my best to get in the spirit, my mom died 2 yrs ago 2 days after Christmas and I can't seem to get with it. My 20 yo is something else, like I said Elf, from the time he was 2 he would stare at the lighted tree and watch the train go around and around for hours.

Going up 97 you can see the snow on the mountain from Ski Round top or Liberty if they are making snow. I don't know where you live, I'm in NW Baltimore Co and Gettysburg is less then 45 mins, Sandy Point a lot farther. They also do Christmas Karaoke and have Santa in Gettysburg too lol

I'm sorry to hear about your mother. :( This will be my 11th Christmas without my father, and the holidays are still tough for me as well. I live on Ridge Rd. (between Greenspring and Falls). We're a Reisterstown address, but we're actually closer to the heart of Cockeysville. I will definitely have to run all these ideas past my husband! Gettysburg is a very pretty place, but I've never been there at Christmas time. We might have to try that.

#9 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,144 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

Hapmden.
34th street.
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#10 RavensAllTheWay

RavensAllTheWay

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

The Festival of Lights at the Washington DC Mormon Temple (in the Silver Spring area, just off of 495) has a great light show. I've seen it before. You just drive through the gates and go on a little adventure. I think they might have performances there also, I'm not sure, but the Christmas lights are beautiful, at least in my opinion. They were all blue when I was there, lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users