Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gashman

O Line

58 posts in this topic

Now that we are heading into the home stretch, are you satisfied with the O line? What would you change? Why would yo u change it? Do you think the best 5 Olineman are starting?

[quote name='Gashman' timestamp='1354232687' post='1238315']
Now that we are heading into the home stretch, are you satisfied with the O line? What would you change? Why would yo u change it? Do you think the best 5 Olineman are starting?
[/quote]

oher has impressed me a bit. not much will help the line play this year(other than putting harewood back in) but drafting another tackle so KO can play guard would help.

We could not subscribe to NFL ticket this year, so I miss a lot of games on tv. Did Reid start and finish at LG? ...assuming he started.
Center should be a priority in the draft if Gratkowski isn't what we thought he would be.

[quote name='baltravens' timestamp='1354235126' post='1238347']
We could not subscribe to NFL ticket this year, so I miss a lot of games on tv. Did Reid start and finish at LG? ...assuming he started.
Center should be a priority in the draft if Gratkowski isn't what we thought he would be.
[/quote]

yes i think he played the whole game.

as far as center, Birk is retiring at a bad time because the draft class sucks and i don't know who we could pick up....

They're OK. I'd be happier though if they would all execute at the same time for more plays during a game.

[quote name='Gashman' timestamp='1354237571' post='1238401']
So is this the line you think is best?

MCKINNEY LT, KO LG, BIRK, RIED RG, OHER RT?
[/quote]

No. I don't like McKinnie, and Yanda is at RG.

[quote name='Gashman' timestamp='1354237571' post='1238401']
So is this the line you think is best?

MCKINNEY LT, KO LG, BIRK, RIED RG, OHER RT?
[/quote]

Did we trade Yanda in this scenario? Our best olineman...

I'm hoping Gino is the answer at Center for the future, I'm glad he had at least one year under Birk. I also prefer Harewood at LG over Reid. That's the only thing I would personally change.

[quote name='1/28/01' timestamp='1354240932' post='1238468']

Did we trade Yanda in this scenario? Our best olineman...
[/quote]

Lol... I was looking ^ not thinking

[quote name='awholelottahaloti' timestamp='1354237817' post='1238405']
They're OK. I'd be happier though if they would all execute at the same time for more plays during a game.
[/quote]
I think that Joe would like that too

I actually like the OL we have and would not change a thing. Reid has been good at LG, Osemele has been a surprise at RT, Oher finally is getting confortable at LT, Birk and Yanda are as always.

We have great depth this year too. I am really excited to see Gradkowski in the next couple of years, from preseason, his exceptional block on the fake fg and his work ethic/smarts he looks like a solid starter

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1354235398' post='1238353']
Switch Reid and Osemele and you are good to go.
[/quote]
Reid is slower,less athletic, and less aggressive than Osemele is. What makes you think he'd be better at RT than Osemele?

I feel that Harewood has been the best performer at LG, not sure why we dropped him. The rest of the line has been OK, though KO has been getting beat more the past couple of weeks.

Passing situations
Lt -McKinnie
Lg - Osemele
C - Birk
RG -Yanda
Rt- Oher

Run situation changes
Osemele rt
Oher lt
lg - it's a problem - Harewood ?

[quote name='jimmypowder' timestamp='1354290833' post='1238740']
Passing situations
Lt -McKinnie
Lg - Osemele
C - Birk
RG -Yanda
Rt- Oher

Run situation changes
Osemele rt
Oher lt
[/quote]
And I thought we can't be any more predictable

[quote name='BenMir' timestamp='1354293826' post='1238769']

[/quote]

Yeah, I chuckled at this as well!

[/quote]

We might as well let the opposing team have a feed to our offensive play calling communications. Switching out linemen depending on the situation is not an option.

[quote name='jimmypowder' timestamp='1354290833' post='1238740']
Passing situations
Lt -McKinnie
Lg - Osemele
C - Birk
RG -Yanda
Rt- Oher

Run situation changes
Osemele rt
Oher lt
[/quote]
Why would we at the NFL level tip our hand when we are going to run or pass by putting in certain palyers when we are going to do those things?

You can't switch your oline in different situations. It isn't like pass rushers. The oline men need to play together to improve, changing them every few plays doesn't happen in the NFL or college for good reason.

But I would put Harewood back at G. Reid and Williams have been disappointments.

[/quote]

I'm not saying to run everytime we have my suggested run oline . Lol . That would be silly.

[quote name='baltravens' timestamp='1354296992' post='1238795']

Why would we at the NFL level tip our hand when we are going to run or pass by putting in certain palyers when we are going to do those things?
[/quote]

I'm not saying run each time we have my suggested run oline scheme . That would be crazy predictable . But
why not bring in McKinnie on 3rd and 10 or 15 ?

I am looking to see what kind of fight the Oline has this week.

What does playing the Squeelers mean to them. Bloody broken noses have been the norm in the past. Can't wait, 60 minutes!

[quote name='Bltravens' timestamp='1354252890' post='1238575']
Reid is slower,less athletic, and less aggressive than Osemele is. What makes you think he'd be better at RT than Osemele?
[/quote]

Reid is more agile and athletic than KO, but KO is more aggressive and stronger than reid. I think reid is a natural tackle and KO would be a really good OG. Switching them makes a lot of sense but I don't see it happening in the middle of the season.

[quote name='Gashman' timestamp='1354232687' post='1238315']
[/quote]

OK, would i change the O'line ? Yes ! I would get Oher away from the "Blind Side" as it is not his best place and put McKinnie in at LT. I would also make most runs go behind the left side as well. I know a movie is a lot of Hype to live up to but at LT Oher is less then mediocre. I dont know why they made a movie about him named the blind side but it had to be classed as fiction. The guy is nervous, slow and could get Joe hurt. I do not understand why they would try to save a buck at Joe's expense.

I have to rewatch the San Diego game to see how Jah Reid played in his starting gig. If Jah does well against the steelers then I'm all for him. But I wanted Harewood to stay in over bobby Williams because Harewood was very strong in the run game and both he and bobby were beaten in pass protection equally imo.

For now I'm okay with the current line LT-Oher, LG - Reid/Harewood C-Birk, RG-Yanda- RT-KO.

Birk really struggles when NT and DT line up directly over him he gets driven into the backfield at times.
Oher has been playing better and has limited some of the false starts as well.
Our Oline is shakey at times but at least they never implode like the Bears Oline or Packers Oline.

[quote name='indianstick' timestamp='1354301564' post='1238849']
Reid is more agile and athletic than KO, but KO is more aggressive and stronger than reid. I think reid is a natural tackle and KO would be a really good OG. Switching them makes a lot of sense but I don't see it happening in the middle of the season.
[/quote]
Ehh, not based on what I've seen from Reid. Guy has serious bend issues and too often locks himself without moving his feet at RT. But I suppose that could have been his nagging knee issues the last couple of years. I have not liked what I've seen from Reid at an NFL level at RT. But that's just me.