28 replies to this topic

#1 VA_Fan

VA_Fan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

I'm usually not one to put a lot of effort in reading to many articles on peoples opinions on Flacco, but this makes a lot of sense to me.

http://nfl.si.com/20.../?sct=nfl_wr_a2

Edited by VA_Fan, 28 November 2012 - 04:16 PM.

#2 CalvinSmoke

CalvinSmoke

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

Pretty good article. very insightful.

1Untitled_zps8afd95ac.pngbench_zps0a7ce32d.jpg

#3 jus'_crAzy

jus'_crAzy

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

The yips? Our boy's got the yips?

(OO=[||][||]=OO)  ///M

#4 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,439 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

Hate to be "that guy who turns it into a Cam thread" but holy crap look at all the ridiculous and unnecessary deep routes!

#5 codizzle

codizzle

Director of Admissions- BSHU

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,924 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:40 PM

Hate to be "that guy who turns it into a Cam thread" but holy crap look at all the ridiculous and unnecessary deep routes!

Ha
Just WIN Out!!!

6f3898d1-1b88-4209-a3a5-ed7fe2348d4b.jpg

+35

#6 Bravens292

Bravens292

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

thanks for the article. bout time someone uses good reasoning for their opinions and i can agree with a lot of his points.
"Thats what white guys do when they're excited" - Joe Flacco

#7 Bravens292

Bravens292

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:43 PM

yeah that was the first thing i noticed too but i expected that coming from him.
"Thats what white guys do when they're excited" - Joe Flacco

#8 J-man

J-man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

Cam has that backyard football playbook: Everybody go long.
#3hunna

Posted Image

#9 jimmypowder

jimmypowder

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

Air Coryell at its finest.LOL

#10 Hraventyr

Hraventyr

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

Very good article. I like the comment about flacco needing to "just play ball" instead of worrying about his protection.

Easier said then done though.

#11 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

For much of the SD game, Flacco was under duress. I think it does affect him when he isnt confident about being protected. He doesnt want to get sacked and have the possibility of a big negative play or turnover. I've said it before and it still rings true, in many of our road games the Oline has performed poorly. Part of that is probably due to poor communication and part is just getting beat physically. The play-calling also puts the line (and Flacco) in 3rd and longs far too often.

I also think Joe plays at his best when he is up against the wall. He almost always come through in the clutch. When we need a big drive to either take the lead or hold onto one he makes the necessary plays. The only times I can think where we could have won and didnt were last year in NE (we all know the reasons for that), 2009 in NE (Mark Clayton Drop), 2009 in Min (Haushka miss FG), 2010 home against Pitt (cant try a 50 yd FG?), 2010 playoffs at Pitt (Boldin and Housh drops), and this year in Philly ( Jones BS OPI, bad playcalling), and last year in Jax where Flacco threw the INT to end it. Really the only game where Flacco didnt do his job was against Jax and maybe the home game against Pitt in 2010.

@gabefergy

#12 kassaiscool

kassaiscool

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

I somewhat agree with the article. Joe also missed Q down the sidelines wide open. Those two big plays to pitta and Q are not only helpful to put points on the board, but giving confidence to Joe, Cam, and also taking the aggression out of defenses. Joe just needs to be confident and even if their is pressure around him. He should make subtle movements to buy more time for the wide receivers.

#13 nextgen_RavensFan

nextgen_RavensFan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

Great article. I find it the most logical of all answers. If that is the case then Flacco needs to trust his receivers more and let it fly. The guy has a gun for an arm and some very good players around him.
This spot reserved for Super Bowl celebratory images !!

#14 jimmypowder

jimmypowder

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

Great article. I find it the most logical of all answers. If that is the case then Flacco needs to trust his receivers more and let it fly. The guy has a gun for an arm and some very good players around him.

He seems more afraid of making mistakes in away games then in home games. It all ties in.

#15 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,130 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

I think this all goes back to what I've been saying all seasonal get him 5 or 6 easy completions early, pa rollout, dump off to a te or leach. A quick WR screen to Torrey, a crossing route to boldin, a simple curl hitch route, a dump off to rice. Spread it around, for easy completions early and joe normally plays great.

Try bombs for the get go, complete 3 or 4 of his first 10 and its Normally a bad game

#16 FerrariFan87

FerrariFan87

Trust Me, A Jedi I Am

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,213 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:51 PM

Yup, Joe needs to develop a rhythm, then everything else falls into place.

Posted Image

#17 NorthernCaliforniaRaven

NorthernCaliforniaRaven

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:19 PM

Thanks for the article.

I do believe confidence plays a big part with Flacco is this area.

Yes, allowing him a oppurtunity to get into the flow of the game should be a serious strategy, something that falls on Cameron.

I do hope the Ravens allow Caldwell to take charge of the offense. That should prove quantifiable results with Joe.

#18 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

I somewhat agree with the article. Joe also missed Q down the sidelines wide open. Those two big plays to pitta and Q are not only helpful to put points on the board, but giving confidence to Joe, Cam, and also taking the aggression out of defenses. Joe just needs to be confident and even if their is pressure around him. He should make subtle movements to buy more time for the wide receivers.

I think Joe put the ball exactly where it needed to be on that throw to Q, if he was a half step faster it should have been caught.

@gabefergy

#19 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

He seems more afraid of making mistakes in away games then in home games. It all ties in.

Yep. People seem to think Flacco overthrows a lot of guys but I think he is just playing it safe. In the examples they gave with Pitta up the middle he was surrounded by the defense but well thrown ball would have easily gotten there. I think in away games he's more worried it will be picked that he overthrows it so the defense has no chance but the offensive player can make a play on the ball and have a chance.

Same thing happened when Boldin was open down the sideline.

#20 ellicottraven

ellicottraven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,227 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

Clearly, at least based on the article Flacco is far more jittery and lacks confidence on the road. How do you overcome that? Is there a way or does he just need a few good breaks on the road to gain that confidence so he can perform well? I suppose so, but the challenge and risk is that we have very few games left (2) for Flacco to gain that and prep us for a challenging playoff run.

Will Flacco be able to overcome his problems on the road and lead us to the promised land? I don't know - a lot depends on how he copes with the road demons in his head. Alternately, here is another possibility nobody looks at. He is in his contract year. Is it possible that he does not want to fail on the road, so he is ultra conservative? Well, the fact is, he is hurting his chances of getting what he wants with the quality of his play on the road for sure....
Baltimore Ravens - classiest organization in all of organized sport!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users