Ravens Schedule Coming Today!

The Ravens will announce their 2014 regular season schedule today at 8:00 pm ET. More Info ยป
Close

Photo

Merged: Pro Bowl Voting - Cary Williams Leading AFC CBs

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 BenMir

BenMir

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

Can someone please explain to me how is Cary Williams the most voted CB in the afc? I know the probowl doesn't say squat because it's a popularity contest.. so.. how is Cary first?
Also, they listed Pollard as a Steeler, so I'm not sure if they mean our Pollard or Hairball.

JJ, Ngata&Leach also lead their positions.

Edited by Moderator 6, 28 November 2012 - 12:44 PM.
removed profanity

#2 CalvinSmoke

CalvinSmoke

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,483 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:46 PM

Cary Williams has a lot of interceptions, his name is mentioned a lot and he plays for the Ravens. So if a person that doesn't know what the Ravens are up to is going through the positions and they see a Ravens cornerback that leads the AFC in interceptions they will vote. I'm all for it, I support my Ravens. I don't love the way they always play, but I support them regardless

CABMSM-1.jpg

ARIZONA CARDINALS GM

#3 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,541 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:48 PM

It's crazy sometimes. No doubt Pollard should be ahead of Troy since Hairball has done nothing this season when he did play and mostly has just guarded the bench.

The first testicular guard, the "Cup" was used in hockey in 1874. The first helmet was used in 1974. That means it only took men 100 years to realize their brain was also important.

#4 BenMir

BenMir

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

It's crazy sometimes. No doubt Pollard should be ahead of Troy since Hairball has done nothing this season when he did play and mostly has just guarded the bench.

Agreed about Pollard. He's not perfect but he's pretty darn good at what he does. Even if what he does is getting called for penalties just because the refs hate him

#5 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,586 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

Can someone please explain to me how is Cary Williams the most voted CB in the afc? I know the probowl doesn't say squat because it's a popularity contest.. so.. how is Cary first?
Also, they listed Pollard as a Steeler, so I'm not sure if they mean our Pollard or Hairball.

JJ, Ngata&Leach also lead their positions.

Sounds like people need to get over Cary's early season Struggles and finally realize that Cary Williams is a really good CB. Is he lockdown or as good as Webb? No, but he doesn't have to be. Also other then Revis, there probably isn't any true lockdown CBs in the NFL and even he gets help from the refs.

Cary isn't perfect, but the guy is playing his tail off and is becoming better and better. It's a shame that his own fanbase can't get behind the guy. Every week i watch 1 Winning Drive i notice somebody on the sideline challenging Cary to go from good to great. The guy is very talent, but again it's just a shame that we as a fanbase will hold a grudge against a guy for a small stretch of poor play.

So if he is truly leading the Pro Bowl vote, I say Congrats to him.
Posted Image

#6 -Truth-

-Truth-

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,034 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

The Pro-Bowl has turned into a bit of a mockery in recent years. There are times when I believe that the fan vote should count for less than a 3rd of the total. Or perhaps the ballots should administer an QB test beforehand. I'm joking, of course, but you can catch my drift. I still recall in 2009 when Adam Vinatieri and Troy Polamalu led the fan vote in their respective positions, with neither of them playing more than 6 games throughout that entire season. I personally believe that having the Pro-Bowl before the SuperBowl has watered down the names that are involved, thus watering down the meaning behind a Pro-Bowl selection. A SuperBowl team is likely to have more than one Pro-Bowl player, and with players continuously bowing out either voluntarily or non-voluntarily, some positions dig down to the second and third alternatives. I can understand if every player drops out, and there is a need to fill the roster, but their participation should come with a small asterisk.

Posted Image

#7 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

Cary is significantly better now than early in the season. (Pats game)
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#8 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,541 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

I did some searching for other sites that listed the current leaders because I couldn't figure out if they had the name wrong or the team for SS position. As near as I can tell by comparing sites these are the Ravens who are leading the votes at their positions:

Leach, Jacoby Jones, Pollard, Ed Reed, Ngata, Williams.

We need a campaign for Rice after the San Diego game.

The first testicular guard, the "Cup" was used in hockey in 1874. The first helmet was used in 1974. That means it only took men 100 years to realize their brain was also important.

#9 FerrariFan87

FerrariFan87

Trust Me, A Jedi I Am

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,177 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:14 PM

As always, I hope that our players are honored as Pro Bowlers, but I don't want them going to Hawaii... I want their reservations in New Orleans ;)

Posted Image

#10 -Truth-

-Truth-

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,034 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

Sounds like people need to get over Cary's early season Struggles and finally realize that Cary Williams is a really good CB. Is he lockdown or as good as Webb? No, but he doesn't have to be. Also other then Revis, there probably isn't any true lockdown CBs in the NFL and even he gets help from the refs.

Cary isn't perfect, but the guy is playing his tail off and is becoming better and better. It's a shame that his own fanbase can't get behind the guy. Every week i watch 1 Winning Drive i notice somebody on the sideline challenging Cary to go from good to great. The guy is very talent, but again it's just a shame that we as a fanbase will hold a grudge against a guy for a small stretch of poor play.

So if he is truly leading the Pro Bowl vote, I say Congrats to him.

I don't mean to turn this into a debate about Williams, as we've had enough of them on this forum, but I wouldn't categorize them as early season struggles given that one of his worst performances came in Houston, which was right before the halfway mark. I do believe that Cary should receive more credit for the 3 games after, a stretch wherein he played very well. But his struggles don't seem to be behind him, with Williams allowing 7 receptions on 8 targets, 86 yards, 1 TD and a QB rating of 151.0 in San Diego. Apart from the Raiders game, I don't recall Cary being challenged by his teammates otherwise, though I could be mistaken. And while that can be a positive sign, it's not always the case. His 3 game streak was impressive, and it was a shame that it didn't continue into this week. But after an up and down 2011 campaign and a relatively rough start, he'll need a longer stretch of positive games to change opinions, especially since he still ranks within in the Bottom 10 in burn percentages and Bottom 4 in receiving yards and TDs allowed among CBs with over 60% of defensive snaps.

Posted Image

#11 J-man

J-man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

Can't you just appreciate the fact and not hate on it? He's on your team.
#3hunna

Posted Image

#12 A Fish Called Yanda

A Fish Called Yanda

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,492 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:25 PM

I don't mean to turn this into a debate about Williams, as we've had enough of them on this forum, but I wouldn't categorize them as early season struggles given that one of his worst performances came in Houston, which was right before the halfway mark. I do believe that Cary should receive more credit for the 3 games after, a stretch wherein he played very well. But his struggles don't seem to be behind him, with Williams allowing 7 receptions on 8 targets, 86 yards, 1 TD and a QB rating of 151.0 in San Diego. Apart from the Raiders game, I don't recall Cary being challenged by his teammates otherwise, though I could be mistaken. And while that can be a positive sign, it's not always the case. His 3 game streak was impressive, and it was a shame that it didn't continue into this week. But after an up and down 2011 campaign and a relatively rough start, he'll need a longer stretch of positive games to change opinions, especially since he still ranks within in the Bottom 10 in burn percentages and Bottom 4 in receiving yards and TDs allowed among CBs with over 60% of defensive snaps.

To be fair - our entire defense looked like crap against Houston.

It seems to me that Cary does well when our defense is doing well, and does terrible when our defense is doing terrible. He has looked a lot better lately, and I hope he continues to improve.

I think with the performances he gave in the first half of the season, now whenever his receiver catches a ball, everyone is very quick to say "Of course, Cary." That then sticks in everyone's minds, so it's easier to see the bad over the good. But then again, that goes for almost all corners. If they play lights out in a game, a QB is most likely going to be targeting any other WR than the person they are covering. Then you don't see them play at all, so you can't give them the credit they deserve. But if they misplay the receiver and get blown out, that single play will overwrite the 10 good plays that they've done before it.

#13 BenMir

BenMir

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

Can't you just appreciate the fact and not hate on it? He's on your team.

It's not an issue of hating Cary as much as it is an issue of the belief that probowlers are the best players in their position.

#14 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,096 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

Fanvote only means so much - there's still the players and the coaches. Besides, all you need to do is look at these numbers - 58 percent completion percentage, 20 TDs, 11 picks, quarterback rating 80.4, and realize that guy went to the probowl last year, to see how useless it is.

#15 HomeoftheBRAVENS

HomeoftheBRAVENS

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

What cb in the AFC is playing better than him?I guess you could say Champ Bailey since denvers secondary is playing good but after him theres nobody.Ike Taylor drops ints and Joseph and Revis are hurt.I havent heard much about Cromartie so idk how hes playing.

#16 -Truth-

-Truth-

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,034 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

To be fair - our entire defense looked like crap against Houston.

It seems to me that Cary does well when our defense is doing well, and does terrible when our defense is doing terrible. He has looked a lot better lately, and I hope he continues to improve.

I think with the performances he gave in the first half of the season, now whenever his receiver catches a ball, everyone is very quick to say "Of course, Cary." That then sticks in everyone's minds, so it's easier to see the bad over the good. But then again, that goes for almost all corners. If they play lights out in a game, a QB is most likely going to be targeting any other WR than the person they are covering. Then you don't see them play at all, so you can't give them the credit they deserve. But if they misplay the receiver and get blown out, that single play will overwrite the 10 good plays that they've done before it.

That's definitely true, although that doesn't completely negate his poor performance.

That's a relatively fair assessment, using the New England game, for an example. However, I felt that our defenses played well in general against Cincinnati and San Diego and those weren't his best efforts. But overall, your point makes sense.

I can't disagree with any part of this paragraph. I do believe that there is that automatic response at times, and that his bad plays are more memorable. Like you've said though, I believe that this could apply to any player depending on their past performances.

Posted Image

#17 -Truth-

-Truth-

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,034 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

What cb in the AFC is playing better than him?I guess you could say Champ Bailey since denvers secondary is playing good but after him theres nobody.Ike Taylor drops ints and Joseph and Revis are hurt.I havent heard much about Cromartie so idk how hes playing.

That's pretty inaccurate. There are several names ahead of him, such as Brandon Flowers, Joe Haden and Antonio Cromartie. And Jonathan Joseph has been active in every game but the last one.

Edited by -Truth-, 28 November 2012 - 01:48 PM.

Posted Image

#18 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,086 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

Is Cary still leading in INTs? That may have something to do with it
Posted Image

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#19 BmoreInBmore

BmoreInBmore

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

What corners are playing better than Cary in the AFC?

Bradon Flowers
Antonio Cromartie
Joe Haden
The Champ

Edited by BmoreInBmore, 28 November 2012 - 01:52 PM.

Lets Go O's

#20 nextgen_RavensFan

nextgen_RavensFan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

Buddy pretty soon the Pro Bowl will be a thing of the past as the players do not give 100% and the league sees that and has even stated that it may come to an end if the players do not perform up to their level. Even though it is an honorary thing and votes come from other players you can expect some crazy results like Cary being in. I agree, he is a very bad CB. He has been burnt more times then toast and it does not seem that he will change any time soon. The guy is what he is and that is a 3rd string player. He never plays the ball, plays off of the receiver and never attempts to press them. He is a very weak CB and he is here because he is the best of a very bad situation. If he dropped from the NFL today who would even care ? I am going to look at the numbers after this post but i am sure i will find he has gotten abused more then any other member of the defense and yes that includes the hopeless Cody <----- what a joke. Reminds me of a movie with robin williams "Flubber". Cody has zero in the strength dept and is on his back more then on his own 2 feet.
This spot reserved for Super Bowl celebratory images !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users