96 replies to this topic

#1 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

I've been listening to the general consensus around these forums and it seems most don't expect Boldin back next year. I have to disagree. Everyone seems to be operating under the fact that Doss will simply take up his role but I have some points why I think Boldin can and will stay.

1. Veteran Presence- Boldin is the only true veteran receiver on this team. Jacoby Jones has been in the league 6 years but has nowhere near the experience and success Boldin has had throughout his career. The young guys look up to him and he has tremendous leadership. Larry Fitzgerald credits a lot of his success to Boldin which says a lot especially since Boldin was teaching him while only in his second year in the league.

Also if Cam Cameron is on his way out and a new system is brought in, Boldin will be the first to get it. He has the experience to do such a thing. You saw the issues the young defensive players had adjusting to Dean Pees. (Though some of it can be credited to the absence of Suggs.)

2. Route Running- Boldin is hands down the best route runner on the team. When up against top corners route running is crucial to getting open. It's why Torrey has been shut down on multiple occasions. No other receiver on the team comes close. He's not the most explosive but can shake veteran corners.

3. Physicality- Boldin is by far the most physical receiver on the team. Those want Doss to replace him because Doss is the mold of a possession receiver but he is also 20 pound lighter than Boldin. Doss has great hands of a possession receiver but Boldin beats him with his physicality and toughness. Just look at how he mauls corners within the first 5 yards. I don't even need to mention the block in the Chargers game.

4. Resurgance- Boldin was brought in to be a number 1 receiver, something that never could happen. Torrey Smith will clearly be the number 1 and has now demanded the other team's top corner. Boldin has always been a number 2. He and Larry Fitzgerald both topped 1400 yards in 2005 and while Torrey will never gain the respect Fitz does, he still demands the top corner while Boldin excels against the second string guys.

5. Clutch- Yes Boldin has had some drops, but he has made so many plays to make up for it. Doss has drops too in the little time he has played. Hell, I watch Cardinals games frequently and even Fitz drops some crucial passes, it happens. But Boldin has showed us this year and especially in the Cardinals game last year that he can step up when he needs to.

I really hope you read these points and will agree with me. Boldin won't demand a high contract. He knows he isn't a top receiver and I'm sure after watching guys like Brandon Lloyd or Chad Johnson, and other receivers switch teams and have little success that he won't demand much. He can stick with the team he has chemistry with and still be a contender year after year, something players in his stage crave.

Edited by dhstandard, 27 November 2012 - 08:43 PM.

2yno6dx.png

#2 Bravens292

Bravens292

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:43 PM

i agree with this as well. i'm convinced he would return to cardinal form if cam left because its a false assumption to say he's been slowing down. i still think he hasn't changed but with cams easy scheme, he makes it look hard for boldin to get open. i'm on board to keep him. i think people forgot what we lost in redding and boldins absence will be twice as exaggerated than cory's.
"Thats what white guys do when they're excited" - Joe Flacco

#3 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

You want him to re-sign, not resign.

But if you were Boldin, why re-sign here if you have the opportunity to leave and catch balls from Brees or Manning or Brady and become a Pro-bowler working the slot?

Edited by BloodRaven, 27 November 2012 - 10:59 PM.

#4 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:49 PM

You want him to re-sign, not resign.

Lol, I realized that right when I hit post.

2yno6dx.png

#5 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

i agree with this as well. i'm convinced he would return to cardinal form if cam left because its a false assumption to say he's been slowing down. i still think he hasn't changed but with cams easy scheme, he makes it look hard for boldin to get open. i'm on board to keep him. i think people forgot what we lost in redding and boldins absence will be twice as exaggerated than cory's.

Agreed. I didn't mention it because we have no idea whether Cam will be back and I didn't want the thread to be about Cam Cameron or no Cam Cameron. Truth is Boldin was never a fast guy. He got open because of route running and physicality but for some reason Cam's schemes don't allow him to do this as well. He also has been demanding top Corners many of which play off and force him to give up that physicality he brings. Being up against 2nd string corners has helped him.

Edited by dhstandard, 27 November 2012 - 08:53 PM.

2yno6dx.png

#6 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,714 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

I don't think anyone here is really questioning his abilities, besides getting separation nowadays. Fortunately for Boldin, he plays very physical which can negate parts of the lack of separation.

The real issue here is the money. Teams don't pay $7.5 million for an aging receiver. If he accepts less, the absolutely, I'd love to have him back. If he wants his full salary though, I'd prefer he be cut. Doss has fantastic hands at 1/10th of the cost of Boldin. Sure, it's a lot to expect Doss to take over Boldin's role, but that day is coming. It's unfortunate since Boldin has been the ultimate professional, but that time comes in every player's career. Boldin's day is coming soon.

#7 Alexir

Alexir

Dark Wings, Dark Words

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,897 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

I rather pass on re-signing him. We need to get younger and he is struggling to get open.

Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose.
Rings don't lie.
PSN Alexir23

#8 Quackjack

Quackjack

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:59 PM

Doooo ittttt.

Doooooo ittttttt.

Seriously, he's solid. Do it.
Insert witty sig here

#9 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,714 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

Also, in regards to point #3, Doss has brought his weight up. He was in the 215-220 range during camp supposedly.

#10 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

I cant really disagree with any of your points, but the NFL is still a business and the Ravens are always tight against the cap. I dont think anyone assumes Doss can just replace Q, but he costs 6M less so that has to be factored into the equation.

Ideally I would like too see Boldin extended for maybe 3 years 13-14M and give him a nice chunk, say 5-6M up front. That said, there are a lot of players who will be up for FA that the FO probably wants to retain starting with Flacco and Reed, but also Kruger, Ellerbe, Cary, Pitta, Dickson, and Jacoby while under contract has a very backloaded deal that leaves his roster spot a question mark . Hopefully, Flacco gets a long term deal done which will free up some cap space but if he is Franchisef it will put us in a tough spot.

@gabefergy

#11 bauer77

bauer77

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

I hope we re-sign him simply for his veteran presence, and not to mention Flacco seems to look for him just like he used to look for Mason. Boldin has had multiple games in the last few years when he has stepped up and provided a solid option for Flacco.

This is all providing that we have the money to bring him back. I don't think he will demand a bunch of money, but if we wanna bring back guys such as Kruger, Ellerbe, Reed, (etc.), we may simply just not have the money for him.

Edited by bauer77, 27 November 2012 - 09:09 PM.

nb4yyq.jpg
If tomorrow wasn't promised, what would you give for today? - Ray Lewis
Twitter

#12 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:17 PM

I rather pass on re-signing him. We need to get younger and he is struggling to get open.

That doesn't always work. Unless we draft a receiver in the first two round I don't expect anything major. Doss hasn't been able to have much impact in the time he has played and while he has a ton of potential, I don't expect a sudden breakout season. This happened last year when JJ and Redding left. We were getting younger at those positions and everyone thought it would be a giant improvement and it failed miserably. Vets are Vets and sometimes the young athletic guys don't outplay them in the first few years.

Yes the receiver position needs to get younger but you don't just throw a position of the team into a nose dive to do so which happened this year.

Edited by dhstandard, 27 November 2012 - 09:18 PM.

2yno6dx.png

#13 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

That doesn't always work. Unless we draft a receiver in the first two round I don't expect anything major. Doss hasn't been able to have much impact in the time he has played and while he has a ton of potential, I don't expect a sudden breakout season. This happened last year when JJ and Redding left. We were getting younger at those positions and everyone thought it would be a giant improvement and it failed miserably.

Yes the receiver position needs to get younger but you don't just throw a position of the team into a nose dive to do so which happened this year.

True, Id say keep Q until Tommy and Tandon are ready.
Banned

#14 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

I hope we re-sign him simply for his veteran presence, and not to mention Flacco seems to look for him just like he used to look for Mason. Boldin has had multiple games in the last few years when he has stepped up and provided a solid option for Flacco.

This is all providing that we have the money to bring him back. I don't think he will demand a bunch of money, but if we wanna bring back guys such as Kruger, Ellerbe, Reed, (etc.), we may simply just not have the money for him.

It's not really a matter of resigning. It's probably either an extension for less money or he gets cut. But then again maybe Ozzie keeps him around to play out his contract.

Tldr: he has one more year but is overpaid.

@gabefergy

#15 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,714 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

That doesn't always work. Unless we draft a receiver in the first two round I don't expect anything major. Doss hasn't been able to have much impact in the time he has played and while he has a ton of potential, I don't expect a sudden breakout season. This happened last year when JJ and Redding left. We were getting younger at those positions and everyone thought it would be a giant improvement and it failed miserably. Vets are Vets and sometimes the young athletic guys don't outplay them in the first few years.

I understand your point, but how long can we keep these guys on the bench? By the time Boldin's new contract (if he were to get one) would be up, Doss would be on the bench or playing sparingly for 4 years or so. He needs to get an opportunity at some point, and a receiver with diminishing skills shouldn't hold him back.

#16 bauer77

bauer77

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

Agreed. Before Torrey "broke out" in the Rams game last year, everyone thought we had gotten too young at the WR position.

nb4yyq.jpg
Twitter

#17 bauer77

bauer77

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

It's not really a matter of resigning. It's probably either an extension for less money or he gets cut. But then again maybe Ozzie keeps him around to play out his contract.

Tldr: he has one more year but is overpaid.

So he's still under contract for 2013? How much is he due?

nb4yyq.jpg
Twitter

#18 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,714 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:25 PM

So he's still under contract for 2013? How much is he due?

$7.5 million.

#19 NaveSenrag

NaveSenrag

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

I'd like to see him re-signed to a more modest deal. I think Doss is sufficiently trained that he can split reps with Boldin, and still benefit from having Boldin around to teach him.

#20 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,157 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

I've been listening to the general consensus around these forums and it seems most don't expect Boldin back next year. I have to disagree. Everyone seems to be operating under the fact that Doss will simply take up his role but I have some points why I think Boldin can and will stay.

1. Veteran Presence- Boldin is the only true veteran receiver on this team. Jacoby Jones has been in the league 6 years but has nowhere near the experience and success Boldin has had throughout his career. The young guys look up to him and he has tremendous leadership. Larry Fitzgerald credits a lot of his success to Boldin which says a lot especially since Boldin was teaching him while only in his second year in the league.

Also if Cam Cameron is on his way out and a new system is brought in, Boldin will be the first to get it. He has the experience to do such a thing. You saw the issues the young defensive players had adjusting to Dean Pees. (Though some of it can be credited to the absence of Suggs.)

2. Route Running- Boldin is hands down the best route runner on the team. When up against top corners route running is crucial to getting open. It's why Torrey has been shut down on multiple occasions. No other receiver on the team comes close. He's not the most explosive but can shake veteran corners.

3. Physicality- Boldin is by far the most physical receiver on the team. Those want Doss to replace him because Doss is the mold of a possession receiver but he is also 20 pound lighter than Boldin. Doss has great hands of a possession receiver but Boldin beats him with his physicality and toughness. Just look at how he mauls corners within the first 5 yards. I don't even need to mention the block in the Chargers game.

4. Resurgance- Boldin was brought in to be a number 1 receiver, something that never could happen. Torrey Smith will clearly be the number 1 and has now demanded the other team's top corner. Boldin has always been a number 2. He and Larry Fitzgerald both topped 1400 yards in 2005 and while Torrey will never gain the respect Fitz does, he still demands the top corner while Boldin excels against the second string guys.

5. Clutch- Yes Boldin has had some drops, but he has made so many plays to make up for it. Doss has drops too in the little time he has played. Hell, I watch Cardinals games frequently and even Fitz drops some crucial passes, it happens. But Boldin has showed us this year and especially in the Cardinals game last year that he can step up when he needs to.

I really hope you read these points and will agree with me. Boldin won't demand a high contract. He knows he isn't a top receiver and I'm sure after watching guys like Brandon Lloyd or Chad Johnson, and other receivers switch teams and have little success that he won't demand much. He can stick with the team he has chemistry with and still be a contender year after year, something players in his stage crave.

I agree with everything except the bolded. Torrey is special, and once we get rid of Cam, he's going to truly make his presence felt around the NFL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users