Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PurpleandBlackBlood

Jason Babin Released, Claimed by Jaguars

78 posts in this topic

Coming of the heels of an 18-sack season, the Eagles have released jason babin...

Anyone know where we satnd as far as cap and where we are on the waiver claim list this week?

Dream scenario: We hurry up, sign flacco, create some cap room and pick up babin...

he would REALLY help bolster our pass rush...

Not necessary, no cap space, and not a good fit. It's also being discussed in the other NFL teams forum.

Not sure exactly where we stand in terms of salary, if we could waive david reed that would sure up some cap space Babin would take less money for the end of the year to play on a contender

[quote name='TreTheRaven' timestamp='1354049753' post='1236068']
Isn't he banged up?
[/quote]

No he played last night......he did have that stupid penalty that gave the Panthers a first down. Otherwise, he looked healthy to me. I'd take a flier on him myself but I think he's more of a 4-3 guy right? Anyone?

[quote name='RavenInCali' timestamp='1354049824' post='1236074']
Not sure exactly where we stand in terms of salary, if we could waive david reed that would sure up some cap space Babin would take less money for the end of the year to play on a contender
[/quote]
I wholeheartedly agree in everything you said.

[quote name='RavenInCali' timestamp='1354049824' post='1236074']
[/quote]

Especially after what he's been though this season lol.

[quote name='gabefergy' timestamp='1354049793' post='1236071']
Not necessary, no cap space, and not a good fit. It's also being discussed in the other NFL teams forum.
[/quote]

What? Our defensive ends are not that great. Not a good fit? The defensive end position is banged up an Art Jones had his first solid game in a while and McPhee isn't even being activated to play a few snaps yet. Babin would be an awesome addition. 2 Million may be a fair sum but he has great production.

The Eagles just switched to a 4-3 this year and his 18 sacks came in the 3-4 if I am not mistaken.

It's not a matter of him taking less money. He is on waivers so any team can claim him. We currently ate in the 30th waiver priority so doubtful he would go unclaimed before us, and even if he does go unclaimed he had really only been productive in a 4-3 defense that runs the Wide 9 front. Not a good fit to say the least.

As far as cap room goes once we sign joe we will be nickel and dime spenders. We should be in good shape though as we will get Webb back and if Ray wants to continue playing we may redo his figures to make some room as well as a couple others.

[color=#333333][font='Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
[url="https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora"][b]Jason La Canfora[/b] ‏[size=3][s]@[/s][b]JasonLaCanfora[/b][/size][/url][/background][/font][/color][color=#333333][font='Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
if Babin does clear waivers, I'd expect the Ravens to pounce by the way[/background][/font][/color]

[quote name='dhstandard' timestamp='1354050342' post='1236092']
What? Our defensive ends are not that great. Not a good fit? The defensive end position is banged up an Art Jones had his first solid game in a while and McPhee isn't even being activated to play a few snaps yet. Babin would be an awesome addition. 2 Million may be a fair sum but he has great production.
[/quote]

He's not a good fit because he plays as a 4-3 end. He'd be a situational pass rusher at best here. He'd start on a lot of other teams.

[/quote]
You clearly have no comprehension of basic defensive schemes.

The Eagles just switched to a 4-3 this year and his 18 sacks came in the 3-4 if I am not mistaken.
[/quote]

Actually, they've been running a 4-3 defense for as long as I can remember. He was a 4-3 DE last season and would not be a good fit as a 3-4 DE. OLB would be a different story, but certainly not as a 5 Technique.

[quote name='-Truth-' timestamp='1354050608' post='1236106']

Actually, they've been running a 4-3 defense for as long as I can remember. He was a 4-3 DE last season and would not be a good fit as a 3-4 DE. OLB would be a different story, but certainly not as a 5 Technique.
[/quote]

His only role would be in sub-packages on the Ravens and even then I wouldnt expect too much from him. His only good years were with Jim Washburn in the wide 9. Besides hasnt Kruger been playing really well recently?

[quote name='PurpleandBlackBlood' timestamp='1354050537' post='1236101']
when will we know if he has been claimed
[/quote]

I could be wrong so don't quote me, but I think teams have 24 hours to make a claim.

[quote name='PurpleandBlackBlood' timestamp='1354050537' post='1236101']
when will we know if he has been claimed
[/quote]

Tomorrow I believe. But he won't clear waivers. Teams around the league know that the Eagles Org has sapped their players abilities this year. He'll be claimed pretty quick out of the gate.

I give the Ravens a 1% chance.

My first reaction was, "Wow, just what the doctor ordered." Now I really think that someone else will get him, but if he's still there by tomorrow he might be a Raven.

Jason Babin isn't the same player he was in 2011, but he's done relatively well thus far. His 18 stops are the most among their entire DL and the third most on the team. He's only missed one tackle thus far, and he's also amassed 20 pressures and 10 QB hits apart from the 5.5 sacks, second only to Trent Cole's 23 pressures and 11 QB hits. The penalties have been a concern, however, with 6 accepted and 2 declined. Our FO could give him a look, though with Paul Kruger stacking solid performances, I'd wonder where he'd fit.

I highly doubt he makes it past the top 15 in the waiver wire, and even if he does, we won't be able to claim him simply because we don't have the money to pay him.7

The only way i see us potentially signing him is if he goes unclaimed, i give that a 5% chance. lol. Not to mention, as many of you have said, he's not really a 3-4 end. He's better suited for 4-3.

[/quote]
I'll go on a limb and say you mustn't have watched football that long, but the Eagles have been a 43 defense since I started watching in 2000.

Babin is a bum, 1 trick pass rush, 1 move pass rush useless player to a team like the Ravens. He provides ZERO run stop ability, constantly leaves his contain in the pass rush and just runs circles around the T to get to eventually get to the QB. He sacrifices his entire assignment to run 10 yards up field to run around the T.

Eagles fans are happy he's gone.

[quote name='gabefergy' timestamp='1354050819' post='1236110']
His only role would be in sub-packages on the Ravens and even then I wouldnt expect too much from him. His only good years were with Jim Washburn in the wide 9. Besides hasnt Kruger been playing really well recently?
[/quote]

Babin has actually fared better than some might think, but I agree about Kruger, who's played very well in 3 straight contests. I'm not sure where else he'd fit aside from the sub-packages. Perhaps spelling Suggs to give him a breather and allowing him to take off snaps here and there until he's back to 100%? Just a thought.

[quote name='Bltravens' timestamp='1354051245' post='1236124']
I'll go on a limb and say you mustn't have watched football that long, but the Eagles have been a 43 defense since I started watching in 2000.

Babin is a bum, 1 trick pass rush, 1 move pass rush useless player to a team like the Ravens. He provides ZERO run stop ability, constantly leaves his contain in the pass rush and just runs circles around the T to get to eventually get to the QB.

[b]Eagles fans are happy he's gone.[/b]
[/quote]

Too be fair. Eagles fans are happy at anyone's demise.

[quote name='PuRock' timestamp='1354051326' post='1236128']
Too be fair. Eagles fans are happy at anyone's demise.
[/quote]
lol well this is true, but you think if he was actually worth his salt they'd be upset over losing an 18 sack guy.

[quote name='-Truth-' timestamp='1354050608' post='1236106']
[/quote]

True...they could stand him up like the did Suggs. Would prolly be a project though....maybe not...worked for Ware and Williams up in BUF is starting to come on.

[quote name='Dfence4champs2052' timestamp='1354051901' post='1236150']
It's funny.....the reactions in here....look like the first part of the "Jacoby Jones" thread.
[/quote]
Jones filled an actual need and was a good fit schematically. Not true with Babin.

He will not make it past the Browns who are 5th in the Waiver Order.

Babin doesn't fit the scheme, nor will he get down to the Ravens claim. Pointless thread.

If nothing but situational pass rushing, he's worth it if he goes through waivers.

Which by the way he won't

[quote name='JO_75' timestamp='1354052211' post='1236166']
[/quote]

i think you might be right... but he mentioned he wants to play for a winner... will be interesting to see how this develops

[quote name='horus13corvineus' timestamp='1354054747' post='1236260']
i think you might be right... but he mentioned he wants to play for a winner... will be interesting to see how this develops
[/quote]

He has no choice if he gets claimed haha. Sucks to be him.

When you make a claim? Do you have to give up something? Or is it a set contract or what? There has to be some drawback

[quote name='arnie_uk' timestamp='1354055557' post='1236293']
When you make a claim? Do you have to give up something? Or is it a set contract or what? There has to be some drawback
[/quote]

You take over the player's existing contract. In Babin's case, he has another year on his deal, so whatever team claims him will have him next year as well.

[quote name='rmw10' timestamp='1354056041' post='1236314']

You take over the player's existing contract. In Babin's case, he has another year on his deal, so whatever team claims him will have him next year as well.
[/quote]
That's what I thought. Do you know his contract info? I know he just got paid

[quote name='Ravens<3' timestamp='1354056818' post='1236341']
That's what I thought. Do you know his contract info? I know he just got paid
[/quote]

I know there's roughly $2 million remaining this year. Just looked it up. $4 million cap hit next year. No bonuses due in 2014 or 2015, just a $6 million base salary.

[quote name='rmw10' timestamp='1354057990' post='1236372']

I know there's roughly $2 million remaining this year. Just looked it up. $4 million cap hit next year. No bonuses due in 2014 or 2015, just a $6 million base salary.
[/quote]he signed a 5 yr deal for 28 mil last summer. 16 million is coming up in the next three seasons. We can't afford that, he'd have to clear waivers.

[quote name='arnie_uk' timestamp='1354058659' post='1236394']
he signed a 5 yr deal for 28 mil last summer. 16 million is coming up in the next three seasons. We can't afford that, he'd have to clear waivers.
[/quote]

$12 million isn't guaranteed, though. The rest this year and next year is the only commitment that would need to be made. Still not coming here, but for a team like the Browns, he'd be a great fit.

My gut instinct says to sign him, but living in Eagles country, there are a lot of fans who are happy he's gone.

When you've got a team in disarray and a fanbase resigned to the reality of a rebuilding project, fans would ideally like to keep their most talented players and cut the fat. If Babin isn't a keeper, then that either speaks to his decline or the team's desperation to shift the blame.

To all the people saying he wouldnt fit because he played in a 4-3,Pernell McPhee is technically a 4-3 type of player and he fits in our schemes just fine.Babins the same height and only 13 pounds lighter than McPhee.

[quote name='HomeoftheBRAVENS' timestamp='1354067860' post='1236614']
To all the people saying he wouldnt fit because he played in a 4-3,Pernell McPhee is technically a 4-3 type of player and he fits in our schemes just fine.Babins the same height and only 13 pounds lighter than McPhee.
[/quote]
McPhee is young, Babin is old, and we cannot afford him. Babin would benefit from Ngata and Suggs, but provides no run support whatsoever. McPhee does. I wouldnt mind another pass rusher, but I'd rather get another DB if you know what I mean

[quote name='JO_75' timestamp='1354052211' post='1236166']
[/quote]

And if he somehow does I bet the Bills take him.