Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Eisenberg: Finally An Antidote To Mild Case Of Blahs

57 posts in this topic

Sunday's comeback win may have been the moment lethargy fell off unsatisfied Ravens fans.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Eisenberg-Finally-An-Antidote-To-Mild-Case-Of-Blahs-/675566b1-3269-4749-99ed-03b00c1da8e7]View the full article[/url]

It is so awesome to see so many Ravens fans at most every stadium around the country when the Ravens are in that town to play!! What a great fan base we have!! Great article, John!

we shouldn't have been in that situation to begin with. pees made a move to the booth and it has paid off thus far. why cant cameron do the same. as injured as our defense has been this season they are once again carrying this team because our offense struggles so much on the road. dropped passes, overthrown and underthrown passes and poor o-line blocking is not cams fault but he has been so inconsistent with his play calling for several years now that it cannot be ignored in the off season especially with the talent we have. go ravens!!

To be honest, after four seasons of putting everything you can into the season as a fan and almost making it every year is tough. After last season which most Ravens' fans thought was our year, it's just too hard to keep it going emotionally. I actually told myself at the beginning of this season not to kill yourself so much over the season this year. Going to the playoffs 5 straight years now is tiring.

P.S. the Texans peaked too early. If we were to rematch, Ravens would win. Afc championship will be pats at baltimore. ;) our house this time mademeoiselle Brady.

I was just thinking that we should wear all black for the Steelers game. Blackout in Baltimore!

Ray may not know it but his phrase is the same used by Lydell Mitchell from the 70's Baltimore Colts "Hey dittle dittle, Lydell up the middle"

I believe that was how it went.

What people are afraid of is that unless we are the #1 seed, we won't have the offensive firepower to get the job done. We had enough turnovers last year in new england to win that game and we didn't score enough TDs. Thats what people are afraid of. THe SD game is one of many to put that into sharp relief. Thats why people are not going to be effusive when we score 55 at home, then go 8 quarters without an offensive TD on the road.

I have to admit, I was disappointed when Coach Harbs called for another try at first down at 4th and 6 inches. The way the game was shaping up I thought points were at a premium and just go for the three points. But after watching his press conference on the game and him saying that he trusted the players and that it was better to try than not. I have to agree, GO RAVENS!

[quote name='ChevVan75' timestamp='1354033655' post='1235725']
Ray may not know it but his phrase is the same used by Lydell Mitchell from the 70's Baltimore Colts [b]"Hey dittle dittle, Lydell up the middle"[/b]

I believe that was how it went.
[/quote]

Exactly!
I was wondering if there were any other "Baltimore Colts" fans on here. :D

JOHN: This is where the media gets it wrong, IT'S NOT STYLE POINTS that we care about.

What we care about, is our QB getting sacked waiting for these deep routes to develop, or SAME OUT ROUTES to open up, while the Oline can't hold back guys for 10 seconds.

Because we constantly see the same passing routes, SO DOES THE DEFENSE, and they are adjusting by putting guys underneath and overtop, basically double covered, meanwhile the middle of the field is barren. Thus, Offense sputters unless Joe can fit into a tight window.

Now with that drag to Torre, slant to Boldin, deep middle to Pitta, we started to finally use the middle of the field, and buame UNPREDICTABLE!

That my friend, is all we are asking for. Some variety, mix it up, stop throwing the bomb at the opponents 40 yard line and punt, get the first down, get into field goal range, use a quick short passing game designed to get the ball out of Joes hand quicker if the line isn't holding up.

In other words, OC do your job!

The way I have been looking at the horrible offensive performances on the road this season is that last year we would have lost these games. So they are making at least some form of progress, even if it doesn't make the frustration any easier to bare... That and I drink a lot of beer. ={P>

We are spoiled in some aspect, but we need Festivus Maximus this year. Nothing else is going to satisfy our fanbase anymore except ultimate victory.

come on KING really, Tired of going to the playoffs 5 straight years. WOW im so tired of fake fans, What u want kyle boiler back. Becarefull what you wish for, I guess NE fans are tired of going to the playoffs, There is 32 teams in the nfl. Its crazy to think we are gonna win SB every year(Even though i wish) Its crazy how these fake fans are bashing our team every week on here, its bad enough to always hear in media but from our so called fans. Go become an eagles fan. Better yet how about dolphins Kc, Browns, jac, or oak. be there fan we dont need you. We got one of the smallest markets but i though our fans were die hard fans, Guess not. So much crying and complaining. now your complaining we went to playoffs a lot, next time plz put that on another site not here. Not the ravens, We are a winning team. you want pretty watch lingerie league nfl isnt for you. Go ravens

[quote name='YYZ66' timestamp='1354035085' post='1235746']

Exactly!
I was wondering if there were any other "Baltimore Colts" fans on here. :D
[/quote]all we need is some 'shake and bake ' and make Dolphin steak lol

I agree I think the fans expect success and we are getting a bit spoiled-- but I love it.

bmorebirdflu52 - we all apologize we had no idea YOU were the fan police!!!

John I don't think it's lethargy at all, I think it's exhaustion. Most of us are pretty fierce and committed. Every year we go on a roller coaster ride that just drains the heck out of us. I noted a comment on here that was familiar to my own thoughts.

Not to get so involved. It's been difficult to see our vaulted "D", struggle, you know no matter what we always had our "D", so it's been tough. We have never had a top 5 "O", so we deal, though heart wrenchingly.

Last year was hard on all of us including the team. Guess we needed to catch our breath. It's all good.

The ravens have won close games, for sure, and that run Sunday ws amazing. But Ithink all of us are wondering what happens when they play really good teams? We saw one ugly example against Houston. The Steelers without Ben are just mediocre and we barely beat them. What happens whenwe play Peyton, or in the playoffs if we have to play Housaton, th packers, or even SF, who looks really way better than last year. Maybe we will rise up nd prove we're really a great team, but it seems doubtful. Hope I'm wrong.

PS-Whatever happened to wide receivers running back toward the qb when they are not open. That was the way all reveivers used to be taught. I notice fewer and fewer receivers do this anymore.They run their route, stop, look around to see where the ball is going instead of running back to help their scrambling qb. Bad idea. Come back towardthe qb and make a play out of nothing for Godssake.

I heard someone (Drew?) in the presser yesterday state something about "discontented fans" about the Ravens uncoventional wins. Huh?? First off discontented? Just because we ask questions or have opinions that doesn't peg us as "discontented".

Secondly, it would be harder this year to find a team that has been "conventional" if there is such a thing in the NFL they days. Packers beat Texans, then flop with Giants, who flopped to ....well you get the idea.

The Ravens are 9-2....discontented my..... I talk to a huge group of friends that are fans all the time, we are not discontented with the team. Get it straight media!

OK I am off my soap box

GO RAVENS!

For the fans who are still uneasy about facing good teams, the good thing about it is all the best teams are in the NFC so if we end up facing them it won't be until the super bowl. Let's all pray we get that far. The next month will really test our team bc, let's face it, the steelers are so banged up it really isn't a test. But games at the skins, home vs the giants and denver will go a long way in stacking our team against the best in the league.

Sounds too touchy feely for me. "Spoiled Fans" Really? Should fans be satisfied with "Good Enough" and get in line? Ask Bills fans how happy they were to go to The Superbowl 4x In a Row and not win one? People know now and really appreciate how good that team was but do you think their Fan Base was "Happy"? Are NFL Orgs not measured on Superbowl Victories? I am confused. When you look around the NFL what franchises come to mind as Great? Squeelers, 49ers, Giants, Pats, GB, Cowboys etc. Why? Superbowl Victories period. Baltimore Ravens fans want our team in that conversation and we see our Ravens as talented enough to be great (for the past few years). I ask, what is wrong with that? It does not mean we do not love our Ravens. LES GO! We ask our players to be the best, we ask our coaches to be the best, we ask our scouts to be the best...... and we ask our Fans to be "Happy with Good Enough" and good enough means winning records and playoffs? Really?

We're not spoiled. Pats fans are spoiled. We're tired of losing in the playoffs. And if this team is going to win the Super Bowl, instead of suffering another nightmare-inducing early defeat, the team NEEDS TO PLAY BETTER. I'm happy we won, but we shouldn't need to convert a 4th and 29 just to take a 4-6 team to overtime.

[quote name='KWRaven' timestamp='1354038851' post='1235820']
Sounds too touchy feely for me. "Spoiled Fans" Really? Should fans be satisfied with "Good Enough" and get in line? Ask Bills fans how happy they were to go to The Superbowl 4x In a Row and not win one? People know now and really appreciate how good that team was but do you think their Fan Base was "Happy"? Are NFL Orgs not measured on Superbowl Victories? I am confused. When you look around the NFL what franchises come to mind as Great? Squeelers, 49ers, Giants, Pats, GB, Cowboys etc. Why? Superbowl Victories period. Baltimore Ravens fans want our team in that conversation and we see our Ravens as talented enough to be great (for the past few years). I ask, what is wrong with that? It does not mean we do not love our Ravens. LES GO! We ask our players to be the best, we ask our coaches to be the best, we ask our scouts to be the best...... and we ask our Fans to be "Happy with Good Enough" and good enough means winning records and playoffs? Really?
[/quote]

Well said!!

Super Bowl Victory or Bust!!

I'm proud to be a Ravens fan. My dad said I was spoiled to have the Ravens defense that we've had for years and now it's gone and I'm crying just because it's not #1. Hey, man, whatever, I just want the Ravens to win. If we could have a a Dynasty, I'd be happy lol

its Cam - the Fans hate Cam,
is it playing calling or Execution of plays????? we may never know. i do know that i can guess 80% of the running plays and most of the passing plays. and all i do is play madden and watch the Ravens. what do you think an opposing coach can Guess?????

Let's not let this fortunate win overshadow the fact that the offense is not scoring consistently . Maybe a little change in the O line as Osemele appears too slow at tackle, maybe move him to left guard and try Mckinnine at left tackle with Oher at right tackle. We certainly need better play calling utilizing our playmakers across the middle of the field. We really need to step up now with a tough schedule ahead, and fans do expect our team to play to its potential and that's not expecting too much!

The New York Giants had similar seasons to their 2 super bowls, however the Ravens have been built like a Super Bowl team for the past 5 years. We PAYING and LOYAL fans want to know what is going on with these sudden changes and all this talent not being used to its full potential. We are getting spoiled, yes I agree, but 20 years from now we will look back on it guessing what was the missing piece was to a chance to have MULTIPLE Super Bowls, we are not spoiled, this is our cry saying can you please fix what ever is going wrong so we will not miss out on a great opportunity and the rights we deserve to be considered an all time elite franchise, not a franchise that always came up short.

For me it was the expectations going into the season..higher hopes for a more potent offense in light of a defense that wouldn't be as dominate..only to see about the same as last years offensive style and play. BUT!! I do see us getting stronger going into the last part of our season and peaking during the playoffs. I hope I'm right, regardless though, I'm a Raven fan through thick and thin.

Ravens' fans are demanding, but I don't think that it is a matter so much of being "spoiled" as being passionate about your team. We know they can do better. We have high expectations because they ARE capable of being great and we've seen it. If they were a mediocre team like some in the NFL, then we would be satisfied with mediocrity.

Patriots fans -- now that's spoiled. When a sportswriter writes after their Superbowl loss last year "You're a disappointment to your city, to your fans and to your team" about Tom Brady -- now, that's just plain ugly.

Steelers have a top 5 defense and they are 3 games back last I looked. Green Bay won the SB with a 9-7 record. Giants won 2 SB's with 9-7 records. Regular season records mean nothing except seeding in the playoffs. Once the Ravens get there they will bring the intensity to go to and win the SB.

the "blahs"? Hardly! If its one thing we dont have its a case of the "blahs"
We are excited but worried. We want to see our Ravens dominate EVERYBODY. We want our Ravens to be feared like they were in 2000. And it drives us crazy becuz we know we have all the pieces but wonder why we cant fit the puzzle together and CRUSH every opponant.
We dont have the "blahs". We're confused, mad, estactic, and a 100 other emotions but certainly not lethargic

I feel like the fan's expectations have been raised, and now simply making the playoffs isn't good enough. And right now, we certainly don't look like a team that's set to get in the playoffs and light the world on fire. I know we keep winning, but that's about the only thing we do well consistently. Our passing game is incredibly erratic, from game to game and from play to play. Our offensive line is suspect. Our defense has been terrible at times vs the run and the pass. At this point in time we've had the same GM, coach, and quarterback together for five years, I expect to see improvement, not regression or maintaining the status quo. Every team is subject to bad games, and I understand that. And I know that good teams win, even when they play bad games, and that's what we've been doing. I just think that in order to win 3 or 4 consecutive games in January, we are going to have to start playing a lot more consistently. Last years team felt like a team of destiny. We were playing great defense and our offense was starting to come together at the right time. This years team feels nothing like that. I guess it's just the price you pay for continues success, raised expectations.

Sorry for keep saying this but this year is for our friend Art.I have lost family I have lost friends but Mr. Modell to me was a family member and a friend I still say they are not only playing for themselves or us they are playing for Art also look on there uniforms.

Here is the antidote! SHOTGUN! when Joe is in shotgun, he has a little more time to see the field... and make the proper reads... when under the center... he looks like he wants to panic... he doesnt work through his progression and he constantly goes to the checkdown... very early and predictably.

Keep Joe in more shotgun and tell him to tuck and run a little more. A few first downs with his feet ca help him settle in and manipulate the pocket better against a blitzing team like the sqeelers!

When Ray Rice touches the ball twenty or more times............we end up winning the game!

Fourth down and twenty-nine yards to go......give it to Ray.........we'll see the saying "PLAY LIKE A RAVEN" come to fruition........we saw "RELENTLESS" at it's perfection especially with the key block of Anquan Boldin after leaving his defender up field as he headed downfield with a "backside block" that leveled two Chargers and the determination that was in Ray's expression as he headed for the first down run!

Teamwork.........that victory was a team effort.......our "D" unit was primed for a stellar performance....our back-up players stepped up big time!

Congratulation "TEAM RAVEN".....you made the Raven Nation proud! Even Art is smiling down from Heaven!

Go-o-o-o-o Ravens!!!!!!

It's pretty simple. If you have a kid who's failing every class (Orioles), you are doing backflips when they show up with a report card and they got straight B's. But when you've got another kid who spends 4 years getting straight B's, you're not going to throw your hands up and say "Well, at least you're not failing like little Buffalo Billy or Jack Jacksonville!" You tell them they need to knuckle down until they're getting A's.

That's my ridiculous analogy for this situation and I'm sticking to it.

This is the first Raven's team in the last five years that I don't think is better than every other team in the league. We could have easily won the super bowl each of the last 4 years (maybe not against gb), based on talent, but we didn't know how to win. Now we know how win, but the talent/injuries is holding us back to some degree. If only we could have figured out how to win 2 or 3 years ago when we couldn't close the door on Pittsburgh and New England. It is a frustrating sport. At least the defense has been playing better, so maybe the talent is there, but just underperforming until now.

[quote name='illinoisravensfan' timestamp='1354054901' post='1236267']
Where is Coach Caldwell in all this?
[/quote]

Patiently waiting to be handed Cam's headphones and clipboard, I hope!

I think a big part of the "blah" feeling comes from watching opponents rack up so many rushing yards. We're used to watching the offense struggle, but the defense was always a steady hand. We've got 50 (~1997-2001?) and 39 (2006-2009) game streaks without allowing a 100-yard rusher fresh in the mind. This season, it's been demoralizing watching opposing RBs put up huge yardage, even in wins; our town lost its NFL identity. In SD, the offense come through in key moments, but more importantly, the defense looked like the excellent defenses in which we always took so much pride (swarming to the ball, gang tackling, blowing up plays behind the line of scrimmage, etc).

Hopefully that play ignites a fire under this team. We were so close last year.

Call it "taking it for granted" but just getting to the playoffs isn't enough. We've been there, done that. It's time to win it all! I believe my Ravens will win every game, but they haven't been very convincing doing it. But hey, neither were the Giants in their SB seasons.

I'd rather have an ugly win than an ugly loss. We know what this team can do (See Bengals, Patriots, Raider) game, it's just a matter of pulling it all together.

GO RAVENS!!

[quote name='jes.630' timestamp='1354057855' post='1236368']
I think a big part of the "blah" feeling comes from watching opponents rack up so many rushing yards. We're used to watching the offense struggle, but the defense was always a steady hand. We've got 50 (~1997-2001?) and 39 (2006-2009) game streaks without allowing a 100-yard rusher fresh in the mind. This season, it's been demoralizing watching opposing RBs put up huge yardage, even in wins; our town lost its NFL identity...[/quote]

This team is 9-2 and coming home for 3 of the next 4 games! And you are criping about our opponents' rushing yards? The teams that have hung a lot of rushing yards against the Ravens are sitting on the outside of the playoffs looking in!

Very good article John.
I think we've been lucky to a large degree. We really "should be" back in the pack a bit more with the way we've played and the high caliber people we've lost to injuries this season.
The good part about all this is, while we may have been lucky a few times, maybe hit teams at the right time and so on, it has given us a chance to build our team as we go along without paying the usual penalties.
It's kinda lot like the year we won the Super Bowl. We had like a 5 game stretch without a TD and still dominated the Giants in the big game.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that our front office keeps doing what they've been doing all these years, our luck and players hold, out and lots of exciting football games to watch when others are out of the mix watching us play!
GO RAVENS!!!

I feel like a lot of the negativity stems from the fact we want to see Ed Reed and Ray Lewis get their rings and 2nd ring respectively before they retire. It's not that we think the window is closing, but the window for them is closing as they get older.

The offense is young and the defense is getting younger. The success will stay but we desperately want the older guys to get their rings.

[quote name='Peej' timestamp='1354063633' post='1236518']
This team is 9-2 and coming home for 3 of the next 4 games! And you are criping about our opponents' rushing yards? The teams that have hung a lot of rushing yards against the Ravens are sitting on the outside of the playoffs looking in!
[/quote]

I'm not griping about the team's record, grit, roster quality, etc. I'm just saying I think the "blah" feeling Eisenberg mentions has to do with general ambiguity about the team's identity. Since Ray Lewis introduced his brand of football to Baltimore, I can't remember our defense getting beat up, until this season. That was what the team always did better than everyone else - stop the run, make big defensive plays, and get the defense off the field. This year's team keeps winning, but it's been hard to point a finger at what they do exceptionally well (besides stick together and win). In SD, the defensive tough-guy swagger was back AND the offense shined when it mattered.

High expectations = spoiled?

Perhaps, but it is the cost of our relative success. I use the word "relative" because our success (in terms of the decade) has not included a super bowl championship. That's the achievement of our arch-rivals and therefore it must be our goal. Life is tough when expectations are that high, but that's just the way it is.

Will we make that goal? I don't know, but it is exciting (and even a little bit stressful) seeing it play out.