10 replies to this topic

#1 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,524 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:20 PM

Ol' Hawkprey wouldn't kid ya would he? He wouldn't scam ya with some pointless thread would he? Well at the extreme risk of jinxing our team, and the acknowledgement that the Ravens have had a small sample size of home games (5), and an extreme lack of things to do, I wondered how good our offense at home was compared to other offenses (in all their games) around the league.

It's my belief after this San Diego debacle that the offense at home operates pass-first while the offense on the road operates run-first. "Pass first" means predominantly throwing plays and a lot of shotgun/no-huddle. "Run first" doesn't mean never pass, it means traditional Cam playcalling - run on first down, run or deep throw on second downs, run on 3rd and short, pass on 3rd and long, punt.

*The Ravens had a fake FG for a TD, I counted that as a made field goal since it was inside the 10 and shouldn't count as a punt, turnover or offensive TD.

Averages (not weighted by game), compared to the league's #1 in that category:
Offensive points/play (non-def/ST return scores): .495, .441(NE)
Passing yards/play: 8.6, 8.3 (Was)
Rushing yards/play: 4.03, 5.4 (San Fran)
Overall yards/play: 6.9, 6.2 (Was)

Then there are Football Outsiders' stats, which include drive statistics (offense weighted by how many drives a team has had). Because of our defense giving up long drives, our offense hasn't had the opportunity for many drives.

Here are the numbers compared to the current #1 in that category (NE in all categories)
Yards/drive:43.42, 40.75
Points/drive: 3.15, 2.95 ***I don't know what they consider "offensive points", but I'm guessing it's 7 for pass/rushTD, 3 for FG, 0 for other
Tds/drive: .371, .339
Punts/drive: .392, .312
TO/drive: .061, .055

So that's pretty much the story at home so far. At home, the Ravens offense has been more efficient than any other team (their home and away performances combined). Since our offense is mostly average overall, I'm guessing they're towards the bottom of the league on the road. Of course, there's no guarantee that this kind of production is what we'll continue to see at home. Let's just hope the offense plays pass-first against Pittsburgh this Sunday and go from there.

Edited by hawkprey, 26 November 2012 - 11:52 PM.

#2 BMORElegacy

BMORElegacy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:26 PM

You did your homework. Interesting read!

NOTE: It was a fake FG, not a fake punt.

Edited by BMORElegacy, 26 November 2012 - 11:29 PM.

"No weapon forged against us shall prosper. And every tongue which rises against us in judgment, we shall condemn."

#3 BALTIMOREFLACCO

BALTIMOREFLACCO

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,737 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:38 PM

thanks hawk, i like these types of threads a lot

23mn1x.jpg

Thank god I was born a Texas Longhorn

Whiskey Sour GM

#4 1/28/01

1/28/01

Error 404

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,547 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:49 PM

Well done, sir!
Posted Image

#5 tctony

tctony

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:08 AM

Nice job. But you're comparing apples to oranges since you take other teams complete schedule in mind when doing comparisons. It'd be interesting to see how home/away stats play out for each team.

GO RAVENS!

Posted Image

#6 CalvinSmoke

CalvinSmoke

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:09 AM

This is intense... makes me wonder if we are the least efficient offense on the road.

z66oxxi.jpg

#7 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,893 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:19 AM

Are we the best offense at home or do other teams also play significantly better at home?

@gabefergy

#8 EricH

EricH

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:20 AM

Thanks for not kidd'n us. :rolleyes:

#9 flaccopoe

flaccopoe

Can not follow rules

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:59 AM

Luckily, the Ravens get 3 more home games this season! M&T Bank Stadium's gonna be rocking! :ravensquote:
<p><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);"><span style="font-size:24px;">Banned</span></span>.</p>

#10 Fang

Fang

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

This is a great thead and a topic I've been thinking about. It seems some fans want to run Cam out of town, but how do they account for the Ravens' great success at home? Clearly there's a difference in game-planning and preparation for road games. Point is, if Cam was that bad then the Ravens would not have great stats at home. The million dollar question is why can't they do it on the road. I find it hard to believe it's Cam's issue.

#11 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,524 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:04 PM

Nice job. But you're comparing apples to oranges since you take other teams complete schedule in mind when doing comparisons. It'd be interesting to see how home/away stats play out for each team.

Our opponents at home average out to the 18th ranked defense, but with only 11 games, it's possible that the fact they played us in Baltimore has an effect on their ranking. So call it even. I don't think the Patriots had too tough a schedule offensively either.

Are we the best offense at home or do other teams also play significantly better at home?

Unless NE plays significantly better at home than on the road, I'd say we have the best (but after playing Pittsburgh, who knows?). And I've seen a study that says NE has one of the worst home field advantages in the league. I assume that most offenses play a little better at home, but ours is probably the only drastic case in the league. We practically go from #1 to #32.

This is a great thead and a topic I've been thinking about. It seems some fans want to run Cam out of town, but how do they account for the Ravens' great success at home? Clearly there's a difference in game-planning and preparation for road games. Point is, if Cam was that bad then the Ravens would not have great stats at home. The million dollar question is why can't they do it on the road. I find it hard to believe it's Cam's issue.

Well my million dollar answer is that when we're on the road, we're trying to run the ball down the other teams' throats which we just can't do. We try to open up the play-action by running the ball first. But the only time our run game is effective is when we can pass the ball first. Part of that is it's tough to do the no-huddle on the road. The other part is just a Ravens road philosophy that we can't seem to pull off.

Some people mentioned it here and it grew on me - the idea that Joe and Cam don't have a good relationship. Joe seems visibly frustrated when he's getting sacked too often or when we can't complete passes, set up by failed run attempts. I think Joe's frustrated at Cam. He's been given control of the offense for once and doesn't want that to stop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users