Ravens at Texans      Roster      Game Rewind   

Photo

Fouts is not a professional commentator

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#1 BohBalmerOsbohs

BohBalmerOsbohs

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:27 PM

We get that you played for them but there comes a point where you need to keep your allegiance and favoritism out of your broadcast. To go to the extreme and say "I Hope so" in regards to hoping the penalty is on the Ravens during a live broadcast is very unprofessional and immature.

Edited by BohBalmerOsbohs, 25 November 2012 - 11:41 PM.

Posted Image

"Talk is cheap. Let's go play." Johnny Unitas

#2 Ngata Chance

Ngata Chance

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:30 PM

We get that you played for them but there comes a point where you need to keep your allegiance and favoritism out of your broadcast. To go to the extreme and say "I Hope so" in regards to hoping the penalty is on the Ravens during a live broadcast is very unprofessional and immature.

edit: someone fix my grammar in my title.

I heard that too. My first thought was "Way to stay impartial, you hump!"

What a maroon.

"Flacco got a hug from owner Bisciotti after game.. Flacco told him: “that felt good.. That was big”

That seems like it was worded wrong...

#3 UMDan

UMDan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:31 PM

I noticed the "I hope so" too. Ridiculous but it is what it is. I'm used to biased commentaries. Sometimes it is best to just mute the television.

#4 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,887 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:33 PM

Dan Fouts shook his pom-poms as hard as he could - it was unprofessional for a national broadcaster
a9skd1.jpg

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#5 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:36 PM

Is he that guy that kept making b.s. calls only to see slow replays to contradict his comments?

#6 HaX

HaX

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:38 PM

Is he that guy that kept making b.s. calls only to see slow replays to contradict his comments?

yes exactly

#7 slowhand

slowhand

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:38 PM

Yeah, it can be tough to listen to homers. It's frustrating when a guy forgets there are 2 teams playing and 2 fanbases watching.

#8 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,563 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:39 PM

Are they general CBS announcers? I thought they were San Diego's home crew or something. The kind you hear during preseason.

And I'm not sure if it was him or Eagle, but I can't stand hearing some guy say "Flecko" 60 times a game.

#9 busterblue52

busterblue52

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:40 PM

I noticed it also but i thought it was just kind of a joke because they were in SD. Didn't think to much of it.

#10 Pino

Pino

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:41 PM

He really wanted a late-hit-out-of-bounds penalty on pollard, but it was clean to any observer upon replay.

However, I believe a truly biased commentary is what's lacking in NFL video broadcasts. Let Dan Fouts root his Chargers as long as a die hard raven fan is his partner in the booth. As long as they can call a game as honestly as they can, let them display a basic human emotion like Hope.

fix the offense

#11 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,864 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:43 PM

i heard the comment as well but it didn't bother me. it's meaningless. ravens win!

~Mili

@Mili

mili1.png

"We have an opportunity to get to the playoffs.

None of these teams are better than us. Let’s go prove it!”

- John Harbaugh

#12 BALTIMOREFLACCO

BALTIMOREFLACCO

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:43 PM

He really wanted a late-hit-out-of-bounds penalty on pollard, but it was clean to any observer upon replay.

I looked at my dad and we both bursted out laughing when he did that

23mn1x.jpg

Thank god I was born a Texas Longhorn

Whiskey Sour GM

#13 theFRANCHISE

theFRANCHISE

Hall of Famer

• Reserve Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,137 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:56 PM

As a former sportscaster, I take offense when I hear professional sportscasters visibly take sides -- this includes former coaches and players being unapologetically biased when it comes to their former teams.

I'm extra-sensitive to these things when former players are assigned to their former teams' games. I wouldn't want Brian Billick spouting off non-stop love for Baltimore during Ravens' games -- and I've even criticized him for that during one telecast.

I hate Dan Fouts on commentary. Absolutely, positively hate him. He's almost on a Matt Millen level of bad, especially when he's rooting for his Chargers. I remember Fouts saying "we" in reference to the Chargers needing to get into field goal range for Nick Novak -- YOU DO NOT PLAY FOR THE TEAM ANYMORE, DAN.

Posted Image

#14 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:01 AM

Ohhh. This is just another reason why I know hate Hines ward even more. He would pick the ravens to lose even if we were playing against the 2008 Detroit Lions
Banned

#15 Ravenglenn

Ravenglenn

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:04 AM

Fouts cracks me up, especially remembering he couldn't ever beat the Raiders when it counted.

#16 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,659 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:10 AM

Ohhh. This is just another reason why I know hate Hines ward even more. He would pick the ravens to lose even if we were playing against the 2008 Detroit Lions

Didnt we loose to them ?

I dunno I thought it was pretty bad and we got away with a big one there.

That said there was a bad one on their D later in the game that shoulda got called as well but didnt.

All in all there was some bad calls (Pollard leading with the helmet ) but well officiated over all.

K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

You DO NOT know more than any coach in the NFL.  You simply do not.

#17 A Fish Called Yanda

A Fish Called Yanda

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,932 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:15 AM

I sometimes wish that NFL broadcasts were more like the MLB. Where each team gets a feed, and has their own team announcers.

I mean, of course, the O's have some pretty great announcers that are hilarious to listen to. But I feel like you get to know your own team so much better when you have announcers that actually know what the heck they are talking about (and don't just study the team for a week or so beforehand and read from a fact sheet.)

#18 Bravens292

Bravens292

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:15 AM

he didn't really do it subtly either. he came right out and said it that he hoped the penalty was on the ravens. i'm glad it wasn't just me that noticed his lack of professionalism. No wonder there like the very last of the CBS lineups.
"Thats what white guys do when they're excited" - Joe Flacco

#19 BMORElegacy

BMORElegacy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:23 AM

As a former sportscaster, I take offense when I hear professional sportscasters visibly take sides -- this includes former coaches and players being unapologetically biased when it comes to their former teams.

I'm extra-sensitive to these things when former players are assigned to their former teams' games. I wouldn't want Brian Billick spouting off non-stop love for Baltimore during Ravens' games -- and I've even criticized him for that during one telecast.

I hate Dan Fouts on commentary. Absolutely, positively hate him. He's almost on a Matt Millen level of bad, especially when he's rooting for his Chargers. I remember Fouts saying "we" in reference to the Chargers needing to get into field goal range for Nick Novak -- YOU DO NOT PLAY FOR THE TEAM ANYMORE, DAN.

Then you must REALLY hate watching the CBS, FOX, and NBC pregame shows. Those dudes are homers to a fault. Watching Rodney Harrison and Tony Dungy hate on the Ravens before the NE and Pit games was almost enough to make me sick.

As for the commentary. It was by far the worst I've ever had the displeasure of listening to. They pronounced our punter's name as 'crook' and repeatedly said that "Michael Oher" recovered Flacco's fumble in the 4th quarter when it was clearly KO wearing #72. I think they even said Yanda was playing left guard at one point. If these jokers are going to be paid to prepare and broadcast nationally televised sports events they need to act like it. And for the love of all that is holy, keep your Charger biased at home. I know you need to compensate for the fact that the game was BLACKED OUT in San Diego but that is no excuse for making the Ravens TV markets listen to your biased dribble for what became something like 4 hours of game.

i hate having to listen to Gumbel any given Sunday but I'll take that sad excuse for a broadcaster over these two jokers any day of the week and be thankful.

That is all.

Edited by BMORElegacy, 26 November 2012 - 12:25 AM.

"No weapon forged against us shall prosper. And every tongue which rises against us in judgment, we shall condemn."

#20 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:30 AM

Then you must REALLY hate watching the CBS, FOX, and NBC pregame shows. Those dudes are homers to a fault. Watching Rodney Harrison and Tony Dungy hate on the Ravens before the NE and Pit games was almost enough to make me sick.

As for the commentary. It was by far the worst I've ever had the displeasure of listening to. They pronounced our punter's name as 'crook' and repeatedly said that "Michael Oher" recovered Flacco's fumble in the 4th quarter when it was clearly KO wearing #72. I think they even said Yanda was playing left guard at one point. If these jokers are going to be paid to prepare and broadcast nationally televised sports events they need to act like it. And for the love of all that is holy, keep your Charger biased at home. I know you need to compensate for the fact that the game was BLACKED OUT in San Diego but that is no excuse for making the Ravens TV markets listen to your biased dribble for what became something like 4 hours of game.

i hate having to listen to Gumbel any given Sunday but I'll take that sad excuse for a broadcaster over these two jokers any day of the week and be thankful.

That is all.

Have Fireman Ed broadcast! He can't be biased against us bc we gave his team half of our players
Banned