Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bmore187

We won because of Anquan Boldin

62 posts in this topic

On the 4th n 29 play, Q was a good 40-45yds down the field and instead of giving up when a hail mary wasn't attempted he comes flying back 20-25yds towards the ball and absolutely ANNIHILATES Weddle on a crushing block, which springs Rice for about 5-7 extra yds for the first down instead of being tackled short and ending the game!!!! THATS A FOOTBALL PLAYER!!!

Wile I can and do agree 100%
This was a complete TEAM victory.

That block was sick and took TWO players out of the play.

Not for that block. Game over.

You could say that about alot of the clutch plays.

But, imho we almost lost because Harbs thought it would be a good idea to go for it on 4th with pierce when it was 3-10. Ranks up there in the Harbs dun goofed standings.

Yeah, it exemplified Boldin as a player in one single play. THAT was Anquan Boldin!

[quote name='PSG_Mud' timestamp='1353897120' post='1234067']

But, imho we almost lost because Harbs thought it would be a good idea to go for it on 4th with pierce when it was 3-10. Ranks up there in the Harbs dun goofed standings.
[/quote]
John doesnt have a lot of those.
Yes, killer block on Q's part

[/quote]

It was a good idea but our wonderful offensive line also thought it'd be a good idea to just let Antwan Barnes and Co. come on inside and wipe their feet while they were at it. Totally legit call, I would have done the same and everyone in the thread before the play happened wanted us to go for it. Our guys didn't pull it off, but the play call was legit. Period.

[quote name='rlh445' timestamp='1353897227' post='1234072']
It was a good idea but our wonderful offensive line also thought it'd be a good idea to just let Antwan Barnes and Co. come on inside and wipe their feet while they were at it. Totally legit call, I would have done the same and everyone in the thread before the play happened wanted us to go for it. Our guys didn't pull it off, but the play call was legit. Period.
[/quote]

I agree it was a good decision to go for it but it should've been a qb sneak! That gets the job done 9 times outta 10.

why is there a need to try and give 1 specific player credit for a win? the defense got the needed stops. it was a great block by Boldin but Ray did the running. Joe was making some great throws. Pitta and Doss make big catches. and Torrey made a hell of a catch on the sidelines. and then Tucker kicked the game winner. all parts of a team working together!

~Mili

[/quote]

It's easy for us to sit back and criticize it after the game, but in the heat of that moment, there's no right or wrong answer as to whether you go for it in that situation.

In the context of the game, if you go for it and succeed, you extend the drive. If you fail, you still have plenty of time left in the game to come back. If you kick it and miss, it's a moot point. If you kick it and score, the team still has to drive down the field and score again.

[quote name='theFRANCHISE' timestamp='1353897534' post='1234087']
It's easy for us to sit back and criticize it after the game, but in the heat of that moment, there's no right or wrong answer as to whether you go for it in that situation.

In the context of the game, if you go for it and succeed, you extend the drive. If you fail, you still have plenty of time left in the game to come back. If you kick it and miss, it's a moot point. If you kick it and score, the team still has to drive down the field and score again.
[/quote]

I don't think so, it was going to be a low scoring game, if you couldn't tell by 3rd quarter. Not taking the field goal was a strech... a far one. Not, that it really mattered though, if the game was an important one(like a steelers championship game), I guarantee Harbs would of not approved of that play.

We went into overtime because of Harbs, could of just won it legit.

[quote name='PSG_Mud' timestamp='1353897870' post='1234101']
I don't think so, it was going to be a low scoring game, if you couldn't tell by 3rd quarter. Not taking the field goal was a strech... a far one. Not, that it really mattered though, if the game was an important one(like a steelers championship game), I guarantee Harbs would of not approved of that play.

[/quote]

It was not a stretch...We had built up momentum on that drive and only needed to pick up a few inches. There was still plenty of game left and settling for another field goal there would have sucked. If only we could have converted...

[quote name='ROH522155' timestamp='1353897509' post='1234084']
I agree it was a good decision to go for it but it should've been a qb sneak! That gets the job done 9 times outta 10.
[/quote]
That's what it looked like to me. I thought Pierce was just there for an extra option, and Joe audibled it.

[quote name='bmore187' timestamp='1353896910' post='1234059']
On the 4th n 29 play, Q was a good 40-45yds down the field and instead of giving up when a hail mary wasn't attempted he comes flying back 20-25yds towards the ball and absolutely ANNIHILATES Weddle on a crushing block, which springs Rice for about 5-7 extra yds for the first down instead of being tackled short and ending the game!!!! THATS A FOOTBALL PLAYER!!!
[/quote]

Agreed! See attached evidence I created:

[img]http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/395046_4970692675322_410646948_n.jpg[/img]

Q was a big part of it but it was certainly a team effort. the d did a heck of a job keeping our O in the game, ray with his effort and Q on the block, Tuck with his clutch kicking, joe made some great throws in the 2nd half, and Torrey with the superb catch to set up the GW.

That was amazing. He knocked the guy a yard or two off and off his feet, and would have kept going if there wasn't a guy behind him.

TOTAL TEAM win here. Joe, Rice, Tucker, The Defense, Boldin, Pitta, etc were huuuuge! The only unit I wouldn't praise is the Oline.

Of all our punts, I think there were 4-5 drives that were multiple plays -as in stringing them along but our oline giving up massive pressure and sacks.

Either way, great TEAM win.

We didn't win because of Q's play alone, but what a heads up clutch play. He needs to remain a Raven until he retires. True warrior.

That was an absolutely beautiful play. Rice out ran literally half of the Chargers defense, and then Boldin's awesome block got Rice the few extra yards needed for the first down. Unbelievable play.

[quote name='funky141' timestamp='1353940821' post='1234586']
I was waiting for the flag, but glad it wasn't thrown..
[/quote]
Yeah it was a block in the back...
But the holding call on Yanda and Pollard's unnecessary roughness were bad call too.

[/quote]

Every team should pretty much effortlessly convert an inches to go like that. The Ravens give that play up to the opponent like it's a default. We should have been able to do it, but we get absolutely stuffed on short situations way too often. Not really Harbaugh's fault, it's an O line issue. But think of it like this, if we had kicked the field goal there, and everything else remained equal until that 4th and 29 situation, we would have already been tied at that time and obviously wouldn't have gone for it. Punting away in that situation gives the Chargers a chance to put up the game winning field goal and we don't even get to overtime. By us being down 3 in that situation, it forced us to go for it, giving us a chance to tie the game in regulation, rather than giving them a chance to break the tie in regulation. In all honesty, and as strange as this sounds, us going for and missing that fourth and inches in the third quarter probably set us up to win, and we could have lost if we had kicked the field goal there.

Game balls should go to Boldin, Rice and Ayanbadejo for bailing out Coach Harbaugh. The coach's decision to go for it on 4th and inches with plenty of time to go in the 3rd quarter was stupid by any coaching standards. One of the primary responsibilities of the Head Coach is to put his team in a position to win the game. By not kicking a field goal in that situation he almost cost us the game. He should have called for a FG to put us w/i 4 pts with more than a quarter to play. In hindsight, which is 20-20, we should not have Had to go into OT. Once again, the head coach's ego almost cost us a victory. Fortunately, the team did not give up.

[quote name='shootyoup' timestamp='1353945408' post='1234665']
Yeah it was a block in the back...
But the holding call on Yanda and Pollard's unnecessary roughness were bad call too.
[/quote]

It was not a block in the back...It was a clean block from the side. It came not from the back but from the side.

[quote name='frozen joe flacco fan' timestamp='1353949204' post='1234734']
Game balls should go to Boldin, Rice and Ayanbadejo for bailing out Coach Harbaugh. The coach's decision to go for it on 4th and inches with plenty of time to go in the 3rd quarter was stupid by any coaching standards. One of the primary responsibilities of the Head Coach is to put his team in a position to win the game. By not kicking a field goal in that situation he almost cost us the game. He should have called for a FG to put us w/i 4 pts with more than a quarter to play. In hindsight, which is 20-20, we should not have Had to go into OT. Once again, the head coach's ego almost cost us a victory. Fortunately, the team did not give up.
[/quote]

I thought it was a good decision. If we call a QB sneak we probably get those few inches and then you're here praising Harbs for being aggressive.

[quote name='ROH522155' timestamp='1353949596' post='1234739']
I thought it was a good decision. If we call a QB sneak we probably get those few inches and then you're here praising Harbs for being aggressive.
[/quote]
No. It was a bonehead call. You have to play the percentages. Just because you happen to make a first down on a bad call does not make the call any better. If I had called the play, it would have been a play-action pass to one of the TEs or a crossing pattern to Boldin and Ray Rice would have been in the backfield, not Pierce. Everyone in the stadium was thinking run. Had we lost the game, Coach Harbaugh would have been the goat, right?

[quote name='frozen joe flacco fan' timestamp='1353950226' post='1234754']
No. It was a bonehead call. You have to play the percentages. Just because you happen to make a first down on a bad call does not make the call any better. If I had called the play, it would have been a play-action pass to one of the TEs or a crossing pattern to Boldin and Ray Rice would have been in the backfield, not Pierce. Everyone in the stadium was thinking run. Had we lost the game, Coach Harbaugh would have been the goat, right?
[/quote]

QB sneak will get those few inches 90% of the time. The problem with the call was we only needed inches and dropped back about 5 yards to hand the ball off when we should have had Joe keep it. I don't think it was an awful decision at all as I would have done the same thing. Harbs trusted that the O-Line could get us less than a yard and they failed. If anyone would have been the goat it would have been the offensive line IMO.

[quote name='PSG_Mud' timestamp='1353897870' post='1234101']

[/quote]

Think about it. If we had kicked it on that fourth down, we would've tied the game at 13. So on 4th and 29, [u]we would've punted[/u], and given Rivers a chance for a game winning drive.

Looking at it in retrospect, I'm glad we went for it, although I didn't like the play call.

[quote name='frozen joe flacco fan' timestamp='1353950226' post='1234754']

[/quote]
Percentages would tell you to go for it so you are completely wrong. It was the right call, but wrong play.

Ehhh... can't really give him all the credit.

What good is the block if Rice doesn't catch the ball in the first place, and then make the right cuts and have enough speed to get up the field? And hey, Flacco didn't overthrow that 5 yard pass... so he needs some credit too!

The defense has held the last 3 opponents to some pretty measley scores. They deserve a ton of credit.

Oh, and Justin Tucker. The guy most were saying should not make the team over Cundiff... I think he might be the MVP for this entire season. But I'd probably be more inclined to give it to special teams units as a whole. They've been soooo much better than the last few years.

Anquan is da beast, Torrey's mentor btw!!!.....

The block was just perfect and set us up for OT; tremendous team effort......

[quote name='izvoodoo' timestamp='1353951634' post='1234792']
We shouldn't have been in the situacion. The holding call on Yanda was awful.
[/quote]
Very true. That call was pathetic.

[quote name='gabefergy' timestamp='1353956594' post='1234874']
Very true. That call was pathetic.
[/quote]
I try not to blame the refs, but he let him past him, and threw him to the side away from the screen. It's not holding. It's good Olibne play. They also missed that huge PI on torrey. Just spotty officiating in general.

Although after the first 4 weeks of the season... I will never complain about officiating again.

Anquan is a total bad arse. Love that guy. This play was one of countless that show what a tough [guy] he is.

Q is a beast. What a block. Made up for his lackluster day catching the ball, that's for sure!

When you are at the game, you can see how these guys really hit and make formations work.

Q is awesome - gives it all on every play.
Love this guy...

[quote name='FerrariFan87' timestamp='1353963068' post='1235003']
Q is a beast. What a block. Made up for his lackluster day catching the ball, that's for sure!
[/quote]
He may not catch a lot of balls, but when he catches it, he makes it count. His first catch was a first down, he knocked the strong safety off his feet and a yard or two back, and he would have kept going for the touchdown if the corner didn't have his arms around Boldin from the moment he made the catch. His second catch was a first down and change, too.

[quote name='ROH522155' timestamp='1353949506' post='1234738']

It was not a block in the back...It was a clean block from the side. It came not from the back but from the side.
[/quote]

Lol must be hard to drive with all that purple over your eyes. That was exactly the kind of block we used to hate Hines Ward for and honestly we caught a huge break. However, that's why you don't complain about blown calls... they tend to even out.

Boldin does a lot of our dirty work and just keeps smiling. I do not care if Jacoby stays or not next season but we need Boldin. He is a man that is not afraid to go across the middle. He throws blocks and contributes in almost every offensive play. He is a freakin energizer bunny and we need him out there. Did you see any other receiver making blocks to free up Rice to get that extra yardage on 4th and a million ? I saw Boldin make 2 nice blocks. He is a Raven by playing hard and never shying away from a catch because of the hit he is going to take. That to me is a Raven.

I had never been more proud to be wearing 81's jersey than when he sprung Ray with that block. As other have said, it was a team victory, but Anquan summed up what it means to play like a Raven with that block. And Rice did the same fighting for every yard.

[quote name='beasy2487' timestamp='1353971018' post='1235169']

Lol must be hard to drive with all that purple over your eyes. That was exactly the kind of block we used to hate Hines Ward for and honestly we caught a huge break. However, that's why you don't complain about blown calls... they tend to even out.
[/quote]

Ward's famous "blocks" we're usually cheap blind side shots away from the play, not blocks to free the ball carrier to move down the field. There were reasons he was perennially voted "dirtiest player" by his peers.

That was exactly the kind of block we used to hate Hines Ward for and honestly we caught a huge break.
[/quote]
Completely wrong.
What made Hines Ward so largely hated is he would hit guys on the other side of the field that had nothing to do with the play. Q's hit was essential to the continuation of the play. BIG difference.

[quote name='Militant X 1' timestamp='1353897529' post='1234086']
why is there a need to try and give 1 specific player credit for a win? the defense got the needed stops. it was a great block by Boldin but Ray did the running. Joe was making some great throws. Pitta and Doss make big catches. and Torrey made a hell of a catch on the sidelines. and then Tucker kicked the game winner. all parts of a team working together!

~Mili
[/quote]

Smart man right there he is.

[quote name='bmore187' timestamp='1353896910' post='1234059']
[/quote]
True, but without Ray Rice's diving extension we would have never made that 4th down. In truth, we needed both Q and Rice for the shot at going into overtime.

[/quote]

Not sure what everyone who is saying thats a block in the back is looking at but from what I saw from the replays at the game his shoulder hit Wedell in the chest. Not sure what you have all over your eyes but guess that makes it hard to drive to? That was nothing like the hit that people used to hate about Hines. Anyways doesn't matter since we got the win!

Oh yea great block by Boldin and the Ravens fans in my section were going nuts when the play happened!

[quote name='edreedfromtheu' timestamp='1353954564' post='1234844']
Ehhh... can't really give him all the credit.

What good is the block if Rice doesn't catch the ball in the first place, and then make the right cuts and have enough speed to get up the field? And hey, Flacco didn't overthrow that 5 yard pass... so he needs some credit too!

The defense has held the last 3 opponents to some pretty measley scores. They deserve a ton of credit.

Oh, and Justin Tucker. [B]The guy most were saying should not make the team over Cundiff...[/b] I think he might be the MVP for this entire season. But I'd probably be more inclined to give it to special teams units as a whole. They've been soooo much better than the last few years.
[/quote]

Who the hell said that?

Boldin was a battering Ram out their Sunday. He is a machine.