Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BALTIMOREFLACCO

The Defense

98 posts in this topic

Defense seems to have been whipped back into old fashioned baltimore shape. PLayed extremely well all game, especially in the clutch. Very proud of these boys, show some love

After Suggs went down, I was concerned about the pass rush and it has sucked! However, with the return of sizzle, these front guys are stepping up and I'm loving it. It helps out our corners big time! I'm also loving the play of Graham. I think we fix our offensive road woes and we're ready to go!

The guys got after the QB tonight and it was awesome to see!

Yep. Huge team win. Guys like Jones, Kruger and Tyson really did a good job at the line of scrimmage. Williams and Graham locking it down in the secondary, and McClain and Pollard enforcing. And when the offence finally took the field in the 4th quarter, they played up to the standard that the D set.

In general the defense has played like the defense of old since the bye week. We've ironed out a lot of kinks that we had earlier in the season.

Our defense are playing lights out with our commander, T-Sizzle....

Our offense are finally stepping up big time and it really sets a tone on our remaining games of the season.....

This win is really a huge boost to our team, moving forward..

I was honestly just thinking about making this thread. I've been saying the d will start to shape itself again. After the bye they have been playing well and seem to still be improving. If Texans offense can get on the same page we can have something special.

This had to be the best front 7 i've seen in a long while. Even better than last years.

Of course its against a wounded O-line, but without them this game couldve been a blow out.

They single handedly put River on a 3&out circus after the whole 2nd half.

They're back!!!! Not much simpler then that. Say what you want about Pees or the level of competition, the D has been playing great over the last 4 games or so. Yes RG3, Peyton and Eli will be huge test, but this defense is playing on fire. They are getting off their blocks in the running game, they are playing much more physical in the secondary, the pass rush and blitz packages have improved.

No Ray, Webb or Jimmy...props to Pees for getting these guys to play better

[quote name='Ravensfan23' timestamp='1353892198' post='1233744']
They're back!!!! Not much simpler then that. Say what you want about Pees or the level of competition, the D has been playing great over the last 4 games or so. Yes RG3, Peyton and Eli will be huge test, but this defense is playing on fire. They are getting off their blocks in the running game, they are playing much more physical in the secondary, the pass rush and blitz packages have improved.

No Ray, Webb or Jimmy...[b]props to Pees for getting these guys to play better[/b]
[/quote]
Suggs is pretty much shut down on one side of the running game so it helps alot on our run defense; however, Pees just lives up to his resume and even better. I hope he isn't a HC somewhere next year....that's all....

PS: We have history of creating HCs.....

Joes TD drive in SD was awesome and obviously Rice made the play of the day, but [b]Dean deserves the gameball[/b]. Rivers played a great game and our defense (with all it's injuries) was able to hold the Chargers down to just 13 points. With every game this defense looks better. Great job Pees. You've got my respect.

Does anyone think Dean Pees being up in the booth has anything to do with this? I assume Ray Lewis' presence on the sideline allows Lewis to essentially be the "on-the-sideline" defensive leader who can give input here-and-there.

Very impressive performance by the defense against an explosive offense. We get a bunch of home games now lets keep it going.

[quote name='AsianRice' timestamp='1353892431' post='1233762']

Suggs is pretty much shut down on one side of the running game so it helps alot on our run defense; however, Pees just lives up to his resume and even better. I hope he isn't a HC somewhere next year....that's all....

PS: We have history of creating HCs.....
[/quote]

Oh yea Suggs definitely helps. Just his presence is freeing up other guys. But if about 5 weeks ago, somebody would have said the Ravens would get Suggs back, but lose Ray, Webb and Jimmy; Ngata and McPhee would struggle to stay healthy and Ed Reed would play at about 65%...even the most optimistic Ravens fan would have had huge doubts about this defense.

The way these guys are playing and the fact that so many young faces are making plays is tremendous.

I can now say officially: I am impressed by Arthur Jones. He started slow but he has really elevated his game since McPhee went out and since he has had his chance to shine. I have been pretty impressed with him so far this year. I was originally all for McPhee getting the start over him but Jones is showing why he was at one point considered a high draft pick before his injury.

On a side note: Ngata has been better but it seems his injury is still lingering. We really need to rotate these guys more when Ngata is healthy again.

The weak link is still Cody. He played better today but I saw a lot of plays where the guards and centers collapsed him. I still think we need to upgrade the nose.

Players are doing well stepping up. Sad I didn't hear AJax's name today.

Defense is definitely getting better and at the right time too. With us flying under the radar like this, i do think we could go far in the playoffs. Im not going to lie, in the beginning of the year i wanted kruger out, but recently he has been playing extremely well. I guess thats the presence of t sizzle for you though!

[quote name='Ravensfan23' timestamp='1353894080' post='1233919']
Oh yea Suggs definitely helps. Just his presence is freeing up other guys. But if about 5 weeks ago, somebody would have said the Ravens would get Suggs back, but [b]lose Ray, Webb [/b]and Jimmy; Ngata and McPhee would struggle to stay healthy and Ed Reed would play at about 65%...even [b]the most optimistic Ravens fan would have had huge doubts about this defense.[/b]

The way these guys are playing and the fact that so many young faces are making plays is tremendous.
[/quote]
I totally lost hope when losing Ray and Webb at the same time. Even with Suggs back, I wouldn't think he would help much after a nearly ending the season injury. However, everything happens for a reason, perhaps...

I'm glad it turns out positively for our nation.....

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1353894361' post='1233939']
I can now say officially: I am impressed by Arthur Jones. He started slow but he has really elevated his game since McPhee went out and since he has had his chance to shine. I have been pretty impressed with him so far this year. I was originally all for McPhee getting the start over him but Jones is showing why he was at one point considered a high draft pick before his injury.

On a side note: Ngata has been better but it seems his injury is still lingering. We really need to rotate these guys more when Ngata is healthy again.

[b]The weak link is still Cody. He played better today but I saw a lot of plays where the guards and centers collapsed him. I still think we need to upgrade the nose.[/b]

[/quote] Its hard to keep track of nose tackle performances but it seems like whenever our run D is stout, Cody is in. I think Kemo is only taking snaps because Cody can't stay on the field for 50+ snaps. Today was an extended game, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Kruger, Jones, Graham, Williams, Ayanbadejo, Ellerbe, Suggs, Upshaw... they all had good games and made important plays.

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1353894361' post='1233939']

The weak link is still Cody. He played better today but I saw a lot of plays where the guards and centers collapsed him. I still think we need to upgrade the nose.

[/quote]

Agree with most, except Ajax had a wicked ST tackle. Kept them pinned deep. Great play.

[quote name='Ngata Chance' timestamp='1353895928' post='1234017']
Agree with most, except Ajax had a wicked ST tackle. Kept them pinned deep. Great play.
[/quote]
Who the hell is Ajax? You talking about Allen, or Brenden?

[quote name='Ngata Chance' timestamp='1353895928' post='1234017']
[/quote]
Really? Awesome. I must have missed it. Where was it? What part of the game, if you remember.

Speaking of the defense, has there been any update for Dannell Ellerbe?

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1353895993' post='1234023']
Who the hell is Ajax? You talking about Allen, or Brenden?
[/quote]

Asa Jackson I would assume.

[quote name='gabefergy' timestamp='1353896399' post='1234038']
Asa Jackson I would assume.
[/quote]
UNLEASH Asa Jackson

I wasn't able to watch the game but the box score has certainly brought a smile to my face. Sacks aren't everything but for the D to have six of them is very impressive.

imo, Pees being upstairs in the box is helping the defense. they are bringing the pain again!

~Mili

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1353896031' post='1234024']

Really? Awesome. I must have missed it. Where was it? What part of the game, if you remember.
[/quote]

It was on the opening kickoff in OT.

[quote name='Shammy' timestamp='1353898918' post='1234144']
Besides Cary Williams giving up play after play yea the D is coming along
[/quote]

I actually think Cary has picked it up a bit in recent weeks. And his third down pass break up in OT was huge.

I like the speed on Anthony Levine. For a former practice squadder, he has a hell of an engine on him. He was the first to get to the returner on most of our punts.

[quote name='Ed_Reed20' timestamp='1353897366' post='1234080']
I wasn't able to watch the game but the box score has certainly brought a smile to my face. Sacks aren't everything but for the D to have six of them is very impressive.
[/quote]

Yeah, and not to mention, Art Jones had two of them. The pass rush was great today. Rivers had a ton of throw aways due to pressure. They just don't show up on the stat sheet.

[quote name='BALTIMOREFLACCO' timestamp='1353891431' post='1233656']
Defense seems to have been whipped back into old fashioned baltimore shape. PLayed extremely well all game, especially in the clutch. Very proud of these boys, show some love
[/quote]

i agree, whatever Pees is doing its really nice change, going up to the coaching box and whatever else he did, just incredible change

[quote name='RavensAllTheWay' timestamp='1353899767' post='1234167']
I actually think Cary has picked it up a bit in recent weeks. And his third down pass break up in OT was huge.
[/quote] true .. i actually like cary im just tough on him cause it seems like he gotten worse since last season in which i thought he'd only excel and get better , with him and webb and jimmy smith potential they looked like a force to be.. i know nobodies perfect but all u gotta do is run hook routes on him all day and he'lle be 15 yds off a guy when its 3rd and 4 .. at least he didnt give up any big down field throws (that i cant recall)

[quote name='Shammy' timestamp='1353903024' post='1234248']
true .. i actually like cary im just tough on him cause it seems like he gotten worse since last season in which i thought he'd only excel and get better , with him and webb and jimmy smith potential they looked like a force to be.. i know nobodies perfect but all u gotta do is run hook routes on him all day and he'lle be 15 yds off a guy when its 3rd and 4 .. at least he didnt give up any big down field throws (that i cant recall)
[/quote]playing soft is the d co ordinators call. Not the corner backs. Evidence by jimmy pleading to play press man one game and eventually being allowed to

those sacks and blitz packages looked beautiful! they brought tears to my eyes. rivers had no chance. :shark:

~Mili

[quote name='Militant X 1' timestamp='1353936602' post='1234522']
those sacks and blitz packages looked beautiful! they brought tears to my eyes. rivers had no chance. :shark:

~Mili
[/quote]

Yes! I was giddy to see the defense play so well. The pass rush was incredible.

The benefit to having Pees in the booth is, it allows his to see the entire field and make adjustments faster. All season Pees has done a great job of making half time adjustments, only now he gets to do it during the flow of the game.

I remember earlier in the season Pees admit to making adjustments at the wrong time against NE and Philly, being in the booth helps. Plus Pees is a DC that loves feed back from his players, so being in the booth, he gets to see almost exactly what they see because he can see the entire field.

Pees has made some changes because he knew his game plan was failing big time .

Going to the booth is just one but the defense is playing more physical and with some swagger

I have been critical of Pees but I have to give him credit now .

Art Jones had another great game, there were times his pad level was so low you couldn't stop him with a truck.

Pees does seem to be calling a better game from the Press Box now, he's making quicker adjustments, sending different blitz packages and also the front D-line are beginning to play more consistent. The defense even played well versus Oakland minus the 2 TDs that were essentially blown coverage ( Ed Reed miss tackle, and I'm still not sure which of the 4 defenders were at fault for the Moore TD.

I must admit early on the first few weeks as the defense began to struggle, I defended Pees saying no Suggs, no pass rush, plenty of young players playing too, but the consistent nature of the defensive wore on me and I began wonder if Pees could get it done. Now I'm becoming a little more optimistic, but I would still like to see the yardage kept in check for the remaining games, but the Offense also needs to become more consistent so that when the defense is forcing quick punts they don't have to go right back on the field again.

I will say this for Pees. He's not afraid to make adjustments based on what he sees, unlike another coordinator, Pees will try anything and everything.

He's been markedly better the past 3 weeks, but outside of SD, we've played some real plug teams or a team with Leftwhich at QB.

Starting from week 14 our D will be tested. I have faith in these boys, especially if we can get pressure the way we have been. So physical, so impressive.

The defense has been excellent since Pees moved upstairs... kudos to Pees and the players for stepping up big-time.