Upcoming Events:  Lil Ravens Camp      Training Camp Stadium Practices      Movie Night   

Watch Training Camp LIVE Thursday at 8:30 am ET

Ravens training camp kicks off Thursday & we're bringing the action directly to you! News, analysis, giveaways and more! More info »
Close

Photo

John Harbaugh

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Gashman

Gashman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

Great record since taking over the Ravens 5 years ago. He has done well overall, has had the benefit of some good coaches on staff. I was worried early on after he missrd some challenge flag opportunities. Most recently, I have noticed our dumb penalties going down, and the ST Unit vastly improved.
But after seeing the Offense stagnate, when we stacked good players here, is it really Cam we should be looking to, or should Harbs take some blame here? He doesn't call the plays, but you would think he sees how the defense is reacting to our plays, and when things are going south, why is he not more involved in the play calling? I would think this would be top priority. Thoughts?

#2 DavidJGuyton

DavidJGuyton

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

From the outside, I always thought Harbaugh seemed a bit soft, as if he's not discliplining his coaches or players well, and letting a lot of things slide.

However, that being said, I only see him talking in press conferences and locker room speeches. There's no way to know how he handles all of the issues that come his way...but he's certainly doing SOMETHING right. It's pretty easy to imagine that his brother is a lot tougher on his coaches and players. Is that the case? I dunno, probably. We'll probably never really know unless they put us on the team. And if they put ME on the team, then they need to fire Harbaugh for sure.
Mighty Hammer Down!
Go Ravens

#3 display name

display name

Gotham's Reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,932 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:51 AM

Great record since taking over the Ravens 5 years ago. He has done well overall, has had the benefit of some good coaches on staff. I was worried early on after he missrd some challenge flag opportunities. Most recently, I have noticed our dumb penalties going down, and the ST Unit vastly improved.
But after seeing the Offense stagnate, when we stacked good players here, is it really Cam we should be looking to, or should Harbs take some blame here? He doesn't call the plays, but you would think he sees how the defense is reacting to our plays, and when things are going south, why is he not more involved in the play calling? I would think this would be top priority. Thoughts?

Harbs needs to tell Cam who's boss.

Edited by display name, 25 November 2012 - 09:52 AM.

The Raven, on 03 Jan 2012-624 PM, said:

"You have reached your quota of negative votes for the day"

VIVA LA BUTT-FUMBLE!!!

Malkavian Raven, on 4 June 2014, said: "Display's off his meds again. Alert the white coats with the butterfly nets."

#4 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,011 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

Did we fire Billick because the O sucked? No. He was let go because he lost control of the locker room and I don't see that happening with Harbs.

Of course I don't know, but it would seem that within the Ravens' org, the head coach does not have autonomy with the hiring and firing of coordinators. I think he provides input, but the final decisions come from the FO.

That said, I agree that the play calling is more than frustrating at times and you would think that Harbaugh would be providing some direction. But how far do you go before you before you are just stripping the OC of his duties? It seems that this organization is run like any good business. You let people do their jobs and hope that you have made the correct decisions in placing your folks in the right positions. If you don't succeed, you make the changes at a time that makes sense and doesn't disrupt the flow of work.

Even with what most(including me) perceive as crappy game planning, we were one dropped pass away from the SB last year. As an owner or GM looking at that fact it would be a tough decision to scrap your OC and start over. The bottom line is that we are 8 - 2 and in a pretty good position right now. This is no time to rock the boat. Trust the troops and hope you win the war!

Dragonfly...... a TD waitin' to happen!

#5 nextgen_RavensFan

nextgen_RavensFan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

Tread lightly with taking this position friend. I said the same exact thing and was ridiculed by everyone it felt like. I do agree that he has to see the issues with the offense and others say he has a lot of respect for cam and that he would finf it difficult correcting him.

He does need to step in and simply tell cam that he needs to see some changes and some very good results as time is running down and to get deep into the play-offs we need to have our offense on point.
This spot reserved for Super Bowl celebratory images !!

#6 Gashman

Gashman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

Tread lightly with taking this position friend.

I hear ya. My wife thinks hes cute, so I would major grief at home if I started slamming him!

That being said, the ravens, Cam in particular, is a computer geek concerning tracking play calling success rate percentages. I am sure Harbaugh has access to our play calling success rate, and also can copy and speak with his brother on Offensive questions. I think there is no excuse for this pathetic offensive play calling. Ultimately it is his responsibility to get it fixed.

#7 Gashman

Gashman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

Now that our Offense has shown production using the middle of the field in passing plays, ie; the slant to Torre, will Harbs be on Cam if Cam goes back to turtle mode on the Offensive play calling?

Or, is Harbs smart enough to see what was working on Offense late in the Chargers game, knowing our 3rd down production is horrible, and make sure those types of plays continue?

#8 DocMartin

DocMartin

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

Coach Harb, we the Ravens Nation love you, but please, would you be so kind and 'promote' Cam Cameron (the offensive genius he is) to a VIP room upstairs on Sundays. Make sure the room is locked and the key is lost.
Pass interference is the worst penalty in football.

If you poke somebody's eyeball out, you get a a 15-yard penalty.

If you make "contact" with the receiver, it could be 60 yards

(70 yards if you have QB Joe Flacco) and an automatic 1st down.

Makes a lot of sense.

Welcome to the new NFL.

#9 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,754 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

Did we fire Billick because the O sucked? No. He was let go because he lost control of the locker room and I don't see that happening with Harbs.

Of course I don't know, but it would seem that within the Ravens' org, the head coach does not have autonomy with the hiring and firing of coordinators. I think he provides input, but the final decisions come from the FO.

That said, I agree that the play calling is more than frustrating at times and you would think that Harbaugh would be providing some direction. But how far do you go before you before you are just stripping the OC of his duties? It seems that this organization is run like any good business. You let people do their jobs and hope that you have made the correct decisions in placing your folks in the right positions. If you don't succeed, you make the changes at a time that makes sense and doesn't disrupt the flow of work.

Even with what most(including me) perceive as crappy game planning, we were one dropped pass away from the SB last year. As an owner or GM looking at that fact it would be a tough decision to scrap your OC and start over. The bottom line is that we are 8 - 2 and in a pretty good position right now. This is no time to rock the boat. Trust the troops and hope you win the war!

Ding Ding Ding! You are exactly right and most people can't or just don't understand. The Ravens organization is run like a Family Business actually. The Family part was adpoted by ART and the Business by Mr. B. I don't know how many people listen to Mr. B talk, but i do, because i love hearing the principles that great business owners have.

To your point, Mr. B said himself that he runs the Ravens like he ran his Staffing Firm. Put the right leaders in position and step back, allow them to do what you hired them for. Everything about the Ravens takes on this same approach. Harbs puts trust in his leaders, both coaches and players to do what they are supposed to do. Nothing is more evident of this then the ST units. This is the first year they've been "Elite", but Harbs didn't take over the ST unit because that's his specialty, he allowed Rosburg to continue to work his methods.

Also Harbs has a leadership council among players, Sam Koch said it's the leaders on all three units that come together and calibrate with Harbs on decisions for the team i.e the practice schedule around the holidays. Harbs even went to Ray Lewis about how he was gonna handle the game winning FG attempt against the Chargers.

Harbs is plenty tough on players and coaches imo. He has brought such a great mindset to this team, these guys have been through so much, from injury, death, playing 18 straight games as a rookie coach and still having your team within 2 points late in the game from going to the Super Bowl. This was they year it was all supposed to come crashing down for Harbs, even before all the injuries, yet he's still getting it done.

With 5 games remaining, Harbs has this team in position to earn a 5th consecutive playoff berth, 4 out of 5 double digit wins, 3 consecutive 12 win seasons, 2nd straight year sweeping the division and having a perfect home record. How this guy has never been mentioned as coach of the year is crazy.

I might not agree with everything Harbs have done, but he's perfect for the Ravens and a Top 3 coach in the NFL period
Posted Image

#10 beasy2487

beasy2487

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

Ding Ding Ding! You are exactly right and most people can't or just don't understand. The Ravens organization is run like a Family Business actually. The Family part was adpoted by ART and the Business by Mr. B. I don't know how many people listen to Mr. B talk, but i do, because i love hearing the principles that great business owners have.

To your point, Mr. B said himself that he runs the Ravens like he ran his Staffing Firm. Put the right leaders in position and step back, allow them to do what you hired them for. Everything about the Ravens takes on this same approach. Harbs puts trust in his leaders, both coaches and players to do what they are supposed to do. Nothing is more evident of this then the ST units. This is the first year they've been "Elite", but Harbs didn't take over the ST unit because that's his specialty, he allowed Rosburg to continue to work his methods.

Also Harbs has a leadership council among players, Sam Koch said it's the leaders on all three units that come together and calibrate with Harbs on decisions for the team i.e the practice schedule around the holidays. Harbs even went to Ray Lewis about how he was gonna handle the game winning FG attempt against the Chargers.

Harbs is plenty tough on players and coaches imo. He has brought such a great mindset to this team, these guys have been through so much, from injury, death, playing 18 straight games as a rookie coach and still having your team within 2 points late in the game from going to the Super Bowl. This was they year it was all supposed to come crashing down for Harbs, even before all the injuries, yet he's still getting it done.

With 5 games remaining, Harbs has this team in position to earn a 5th consecutive playoff berth, 4 out of 5 double digit wins, 3 consecutive 12 win seasons, 2nd straight year sweeping the division and having a perfect home record. How this guy has never been mentioned as coach of the year is crazy.

I might not agree with everything Harbs have done, but he's perfect for the Ravens and a Top 3 coach in the NFL period

I love Harbs. The mental toughness of this team is at an all time high and that is entirely Harbs' doing.

#11 BMORElegacy

BMORElegacy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

This. Unlike other organizations where the HC doubles as a coordinator, Harbs' sole purpose is to manage his troops in both the coaching staff and on the roster. He's instilled discipline and accountability and our team has flourished as a result. He reminds me of that father that doesn't get mad and cusses up a storm but just looks at you in a disapproving manner and says, "I'm not angry, just very disappointed." And we all know that is so much worse. I love Harbs' style of coaching and I couldn't see any other coach in the league right now doing a better job at leading our boys to battle (and that includes The Hoddie).
"No weapon forged against us shall prosper. And every tongue which rises against us in judgment, we shall condemn."

#12 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,754 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

This. Unlike other organizations where the HC doubles as a coordinator, Harbs' sole purpose is to manage his troops in both the coaching staff and on the roster. He's instilled discipline and accountability and our team has flourished as a result. He reminds me of that father that doesn't get mad and cusses up a storm but just looks at you in a disapproving manner and says, "I'm not angry, just very disappointed." And we all know that is so much worse. I love Harbs' style of coaching and I couldn't see any other coach in the league right now doing a better job at leading our boys to battle (and that includes The Hoddie).

I like how you said boys, because by NFL standards that's what most of this team is, young men. I also love the father comparison because i agree 100%. Yea, you'll see him get in a face now and then like Ellerbe, but for the most part Harbs is reassuring.

People look at him as being soft, but it's just positive reinforcement. You don't always have to point out the obvious bad, we all knew the defense was poor to start the season, but Harbs just reinforced the belief that if they just keep pushing and working hard, everything would come together. Now those guys are playing at a high level even without Ray and Webb.

I love the fact that as a rookie coach, Harbs said the Ravens were building a Dynasty. I feel he's a couple dropped passes away from realizing that goal. Super Bowl rings is the only thing keeping the Ravens from being viewed as a dynasty, but they are oh so close

Posted Image

#13 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,011 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

Harbs is the best! Even though I thought he screwed up big time Sunday, going for it on 4th and not taking the points.

Dragonfly...... a TD waitin' to happen!

#14 Gashman

Gashman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

If not Harbs, than who comes down on Cam for Crappy game plans? And I mean piss poor 3rd down conversions, same old 9 routes, etc

#15 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

If not Harbs, than who comes down on Cam for Crappy game plans? And I mean piss poor 3rd down conversions, same old 9 routes, etc

I agree that Harbaugh needs to let Cam know when he the game plan isnt working. I'd like too see more No Huddle on the road with Joe having more control of tgr offense, and I think Harbs can push for that direction if he wanted to.

However, I come back to what Harbs biggest responsibility, which is to win games. I'm sure he wants to have a better offense, but the #1 priority is winning, even if it means winning ugly. I dont necessarily agree with our offensive philosophy on the road, but it has worked for the most part. Even in the games we lost I could make an argument that the gameplan wasnt bad, but circumstances and poor execution really hurt us when it mattered.

@gabefergy

#16 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,427 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

This post is just full of awesome. I freaking love this team.

#17 billick

billick

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:53 PM

Harbs is an EZ rider type, and has learned on the job. His next contract will be for big money.

Like him or not, just look up his record. He may leave for big money, if offered.
Offensive Genuis & Quarterback Guru

#18 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,391 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

I'd like to know why G Jah Reid and NT Kemoeatu are still starting.
“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.” - MLK

#19 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

I'd like to know why G Jah Reid and NT Kemoeatu are still starting.

Who do you suggest starts at LG? We have tried 3 players and none have been overly effective. Reid has the most upside IMO.

As for Kemo, he and Cody pretty much split snaps over the course of the game.

@gabefergy

#20 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,391 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

Who do you suggest starts at LG? We have tried 3 players and none have been overly effective. Reid has the most upside IMO.

As for Kemo, he and Cody pretty much split snaps over the course of the game.

Probably Harewood, but I think he's gimpy right now. Reid has struggled the last two games, it really showed in the last game when he couldn't handle Liuget's bullrush and leverage.
“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.” - MLK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users