Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bazooka Joe

NFL To Ban All Blocks Below Waist?

12 posts in this topic

According to PFT article. They're seriously considering it.

So everytime a player is sent to IR, Roger wants to change the rules? What are we doing here?

[quote name='Bazooka Joe' timestamp='1353770446' post='1229798']
According to PFT article. They're seriously considering it.

So everytime a player is sent to IR, Roger wants to change the rules? What are we doing here?
[/quote]
I think that's a bad idea, because why wouldn't you blitz... everytime. No RB could stop a good ILB from getting in his face.

I can see why you'd do it on turnovers.

Maybe you can just say "behind the line of scrimmage and at the line of scrimmage is okay. Beyone the line of scrimmage is unfair." There's no reason an Olineman should be able to dive at a safety to get another however many yards, but there's no way you could stop the blitz.

This would basically neutraliza ray rice in pass protection.

They won't do it. Banning blocking below the waist will inevitably lead to banning tackling below waist and, then... where do you hit? Only between their gut and neck?

Just watch, with all the knee injuries being caused by avoiding possible helmet to helmet contact soon defenders will only be allowed to tackle between the neck and waist. I don't think this will happen for blockers however because they're trying to reduce QB hits and taking away the ability to low block for HB's will cause more.

After so many rules that help offenses, isn't this rule going to help defenses in the fact that now offensive players won't be able to do this to defensive players anymore? Offensive Players have gotten away with this so much and now it's about time something benefits the defense for once. I think we may be over reacting a little much, I mean there is no need to block below the waist if you know to how properly block a defender.

[quote name='JO_75' timestamp='1353794225' post='1229987']
After so many rules that help offenses, isn't this rule going to help defenses in the fact that now offensive players won't be able to do this to defensive players anymore? Offensive Players have gotten away with this so much and now it's about time something benefits the defense for once. I think we may be over reacting a little much, [b]I mean there is no need to block below the waist if you know to how properly block a defender.[/b]
[/quote]

Same can be said for tackling

So we retaliate to a stupid rule (Houston challenge rule, prob what the meeting is all about), with an even dumber rule.
#MakeRodgerResign

Let's just remove tackling. Let's just say the defender is supposed to scare the other guy into dropping the pass, or he can knock the ball out of the guy's hands but can't touch him.