33 replies to this topic

#1 BR News

BR News

Hall of Famer

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,834 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

Outspoken and hard-hitting safety Bernard Pollard still isn’t happy about Ed Reed’s fine.

View the full article

#2 GyMan20

GyMan20

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

If Goodell and the NFL are as concerned about the players safety as they say they are then they are going to need to start going after offensive players who are dipping their heads. Because I would say that at least half of the helmet to helmet hits are because the "defenseless receivers" are dipping their heads to initiate them.

#3 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,144 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

I say we take the helmets off. period! they're used as weapons by both side of the ball. I bet you'd have LESS concussions with no helmet! Reason being, guys don't get a false sense of invincibility from the helmet, and won't hit with their heads. Heck, bring back the leather helmet.

#4 Valid1

Valid1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

That is the worst thing I've ever heard. They're still going to tackle eat other, go after loose balls, have linemen collide, etc. If you take away the helmets you might as well arm every player with a lead pipe, same outcome.

#5 GyMan20

GyMan20

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:15 PM

If anything they should make players wear the helmets that hurt when you used your head to tackle. I remember when I was a kid if I hit someone with my head it hurt, so I never tackled that way.
80 Oh's Whines Hard! You won't be missed.

#6 btfan2

btfan2

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:19 PM

Bernard no sense worrying about this. We all know it's smoke and mirrors. They are not so concerned about safety as they are about law suites.

If safety was really an issue they would ban football all together.

Put some absorbant rubber on the outside, search for a way to make the outside less destructive. I know they are working on making the helmet more protective for the person wearing it, but; there is no thought about making it less destructive. Can it be done, heck if I know, BUT!! Is anyone even trying???

#7 gammaman

gammaman

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

How about a modified dog training shock collar that would be triggered by a helmet-to-helmet hit. LMAO

#8 black blood purple passion

black blood purple passion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

lol I can't WAIT to see Bernard smoke a QB!

#9 RavenManiac#7

RavenManiac#7

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

This really Is becoming a problem. When a receiver sees or senses a hit coming he instinctively lowers his head. If not instinctively, he does it to try to draw the penalty flag. A defensive player should not be penalized when that happens. I mean, what is he supposed to do? I'm all for safety, but this is the NFL. The players know the risks, and because of the ridiculous amount of money being thrown their way they choose to play the game. Along with the big bucks comes the risk of injury. We're heading for flag football. I say let them play the game. If you really think a player is purposely trying to injure other players, monitor him over time, display the evidence, and make the fine and suspension severe enough that he doesn't do it again. If he does, again monitor him, display the evidence, and ban him from playing forever. But just like touchdown and possession reversals, the evidence must be indisputable.

#10 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,144 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

That is the worst thing I've ever heard. They're still going to tackle eat other, go after loose balls, have linemen collide, etc. If you take away the helmets you might as well arm every player with a lead pipe, same outcome.

What does that have to do with a lead pipe ? I don't get it... A HELMET is used as a battering ram. deep tissue bruises, broken knee caps, broken ribs... Head to Head contact , with no helmet will make the guys apprehensive to use their heads as a sledge hammer...

#11 Purple Dawg 96

Purple Dawg 96

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

I agree with Sizzle and, lets FOCUS on the chargers now!

#12 da#1ravensfan

da#1ravensfan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

Bernard Pollard should be the Commissioner!

#13 display name

display name

Gotham's Reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:08 PM

I actually have to agree now.

#14 easternshore97

easternshore97

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

“You have former coaches and former players that have played in this league that have hit people helmet to helmet. All of a sudden now you want to stand firm on something and you know what the truth is?” Pollard asked. “You’re hiding behind a piece of paper.”

Couldn't have said it better

#15 Bruce_Almty

Bruce_Almty

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:24 PM

I liked the penalty box suggestion...for a head2head, 5yds and 15 min in the penalty box for the player, for example.

#16 scraaw

scraaw

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

pollard is the man

#17 Bernie Mc1953

Bernie Mc1953

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

Pollard is one of the main guys that is going to send us to the show.

#18 cobrajet

cobrajet

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

I agree with Sizzle and, lets FOCUS on the chargers now!

Agreed, let's put these distractions behind us, we need to focus on beating the Chargers. I originally had this game as one of only a few losses and I need the Ravens to prove me wrong with a win.

#19 ellicottraven

ellicottraven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,231 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

I am just glad Ed Reed wasn't suspended. That would have had unintended consequences such as pooling him with mailicious brats like Suh and Harrison! I would trade the 50K anyday not to be associating Reed's good and illustrious name with those dirty players...

#20 edlow1

edlow1

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:22 PM

Why not this?

Hockey has a penalty box. Why can%u2019t the NFL? You get flagged for a helmet-to-helmet hit %u2014 and if replay confirms it was a helmet-to-helmet hit %u2014 you must sit out the next 15 minutes (one quarter) of game action. If it happens in the fourth quarter, the time carries over into the next game. If you get flagged twice in the same game, you sit out 30 minutes (two quarters).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users