Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Bernard Pollard Sounds Off On NFL Safety Rules

34 posts in this topic

Outspoken and hard-hitting safety Bernard Pollard still isn’t happy about Ed Reed’s fine.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Bernard-Pollard-Sounds-Off-On-NFL-Safety-Rules/a89cd79a-6daf-4327-924e-51936cf7c63e]View the full article[/url]

If Goodell and the NFL are as concerned about the players safety as they say they are then they are going to need to start going after offensive players who are dipping their heads. Because I would say that at least half of the helmet to helmet hits are because the "defenseless receivers" are dipping their heads to initiate them.

I say we take the helmets off. period! they're used as weapons by both side of the ball. I bet you'd have LESS concussions with no helmet! Reason being, guys don't get a false sense of invincibility from the helmet, and won't hit with their heads. Heck, bring back the leather helmet.

That is the worst thing I've ever heard. They're still going to tackle eat other, go after loose balls, have linemen collide, etc. If you take away the helmets you might as well arm every player with a lead pipe, same outcome.

If anything they should make players wear the helmets that hurt when you used your head to tackle. I remember when I was a kid if I hit someone with my head it hurt, so I never tackled that way.

Bernard no sense worrying about this. We all know it's smoke and mirrors. They are not so concerned about safety as they are about law suites.

If safety was really an issue they would ban football all together.

Put some absorbant rubber on the outside, search for a way to make the outside less destructive. I know they are working on making the helmet more protective for the person wearing it, but; there is no thought about making it less destructive. Can it be done, heck if I know, BUT!! Is anyone even trying???

This really Is becoming a problem. When a receiver sees or senses a hit coming he instinctively lowers his head. If not instinctively, he does it to try to draw the penalty flag. A defensive player should not be penalized when that happens. I mean, what is he supposed to do? I'm all for safety, but this is the NFL. The players know the risks, and because of the ridiculous amount of money being thrown their way they choose to play the game. Along with the big bucks comes the risk of injury. We're heading for flag football. I say let them play the game. If you really think a player is purposely trying to injure other players, monitor him over time, display the evidence, and make the fine and suspension severe enough that he doesn't do it again. If he does, again monitor him, display the evidence, and ban him from playing forever. But just like touchdown and possession reversals, the evidence must be indisputable.

[quote name='Valid1' timestamp='1353539166' post='1228221']
That is the worst thing I've ever heard. They're still going to tackle eat other, go after loose balls, have linemen collide, etc. If you take away the helmets you might as well arm every player with a lead pipe, same outcome.
[/quote]

What does that have to do with a lead pipe ? I don't get it... A HELMET is used as a battering ram. deep tissue bruises, broken knee caps, broken ribs... Head to Head contact , with no helmet will make the guys apprehensive to use their heads as a sledge hammer...

“You have former coaches and former players that have played in this league that have hit people helmet to helmet. All of a sudden now you want to stand firm on something and you know what the truth is?” Pollard asked. “You’re hiding behind a piece of paper.”

Couldn't have said it better

[quote name='Purple Dawg 96' timestamp='1353541564' post='1228254']
I agree with Sizzle and, lets FOCUS on the chargers now!
[/quote]
Agreed, let's put these distractions behind us, we need to focus on beating the Chargers. I originally had this game as one of only a few losses and I need the Ravens to prove me wrong with a win.

I am just glad Ed Reed wasn't suspended. That would have had unintended consequences such as pooling him with mailicious brats like Suh and Harrison! I would trade the 50K anyday not to be associating Reed's good and illustrious name with those dirty players...

Why not this?

Hockey has a penalty box. Why can%u2019t the NFL? You get flagged for a helmet-to-helmet hit %u2014 and if replay confirms it was a helmet-to-helmet hit %u2014 you must sit out the next 15 minutes (one quarter) of game action. If it happens in the fourth quarter, the time carries over into the next game. If you get flagged twice in the same game, you sit out 30 minutes (two quarters).

Bernie P. and Harbs both make excellent points! Bernard's statement that the defenders are "missiles that are hard to redirect" is on point!

Harbs' statement, "... it's difficult to strike a balance between safety and taking away from what defenders can do" says it all!

I envision a rash of season and/or career-ending knee injuries beginning to surface on receivers and backs if defenders must be taught to aim lower!

Just to be on topic. I am happy that the League has overturned the suspension, but dissapointed they still had a fine attatched to it. I guess they still have to get something out of this to save a little face. I am 100% for player safty but, going full tilt in a wrong direction with a player like Ed Reed is rediculous. Even the previous hits over 3 YEARS?? you gotta be kidding me. And if you watch them, they are within the same look as this last "hit" he made.

As a long time hockey fan, a "penalty box" idea in the NFL doesn't seem quite right but, if something like that were to be implimented, (since supposively fines "don't do anything and suspensions do")15 minutes is rediculous. The major penalties in Hockey are at max 10 minutes and that's a game misconduct. A 5 minute is about right, and a 2 minute would be to short.

Then again, this isn't really hockey but, I get the gist. I don't think that'd go over to well.

Pollard your the man they are killing our sport we love. The offensive already has enough advantage and they keep pouring it on. I know most of the NFL players dispise that dictaor Goodell he by far the worst comish I`ve seen in my 48 years and that`s playing and watching from the age of 7. I`m glad players are still playing the game hard in lue of fines and suspensions which are ludicrious. Happy Thanksgiving All and GO RAVENS!!!

[i]"Now [u][b]if a quarterback's going to the sideline and I've got a chance, I swear to you I'm going to kill him,[/b][/u]" [/i]Pollard said.

^ now this is the statement of the year! i feel ya on this Pollard. blow'em up brah!

~Mili

Band of brothers....

Perhaps each of the team members can kick Ed $1,000.00 to support him. Or put that money in a pot for times like these. And if you leave the team, you get to take out what you put in.
Just a thought...

First I offer Kudos to Bernard Pollard for openly speaking his mind. I am hopeful the league doesn't look at this an opportunity to assess more fines. He is saying what many of us believe - that the NFL needs to re-examine its rules The Ed Reed suspension and fine was a joke. A glancing hit to a receiver's head after he lowered it. It looked to me that most of the impact was shoulder-to-shoulder.

Obviously the league is in a dilemma regarding player safety, but watering down the sport won't fix anything. What's a defensive player to do in this environment? Intentional malicious hitting should be penalized, but good hard-playing football hits should not.

You know Pollard was mad about Leftwitch getting cute when he buried Cotchery and broke his ribs and the Steelers will to win. But him lying broken and motionless was legal...Smh. Is there a more feared safety in the league?

I see this as a pendulum that will swing far to the right and then eventually go back to the middle. That's the way it is whenever institutions try to make a systemic change. I don't see football going away, it's wildly popular and the violence (let's be honest) is part of the reason. There will be lots of injustice, rebellion, and tweaking of the rules before it's all over. Part of the problem is that some of these rules are in the CBA and are being enforced for the first time.