Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] AFC Playoff Picture Overview

55 posts in this topic

The Ravens are in the driver's seat in the division, here’s a look at the AFC overall.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/AFC-Playoff-Picture-Overview/daf7a355-510e-42cf-8647-5d68954ca5d7]View the full article[/url]

One game at a time. At this point in the season nothing can be taken for granted. We need to just keep moving along in the right direction.

Question: what happens if Texans, Ravens, Broncos and Pats all finish 12-4 and for that Ravens beat Broncos and Pats beat Texans? we would lose direct tie-breaker to Texans, who would lose it to Pats, who would lose it to us? Is the conference record the next tie-breaker in this scenario?

@horus13corvineus- The tiebreaker when it comes to non-divisional teams is strength of schedule i believe

[quote name='jboy19' timestamp='1353514699' post='1227921']
@horus13corvineus- The tiebreaker when it comes to non-divisional teams is strength of schedule i believe
[/quote]
It is my understanding that it comes down to conference records, as mentioned in the end of his post.
I could be wrong.

Why does everyone keep saying that the loss to New England shows the Colts have a lot of growing up to do? Clunkers do happen-- every now and again a good team will lay an egg; a big egg. Now I'm not saying the Colts are a finished product, neither am I saying they are not. I am just saying the point used to buttress the argument is flawed on so many levels. A New England team that won a Superbowl in 2003 got their doors blown off by the Buffalo Bills in week one; score-- 31 - zero! That team went on to win 14 of 15 regular season games and then the Superbowl. Guys please stop using one game as a decider of how good... or bad a team is.

@hourus13corvineus

Easiest way to explain is to give you this link.

[url="http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures"]http://www.nfl.com/s...akingprocedures[/url]

Denver is the most dangerous team in the playoffs. The Ravens have always had trouble beating Peyton Manning. Hopefully the Ravens do not have to play him.

My glasses have a tint but are not "rose-colored rah-rah"!

The chances of us running the table are remote given the teams and talent we face and where we face them (3 'away' games),... but if we "hold serve" at home and get one AFC win in an enemy camp then we should be "good to go" with a Bye and home field!

I know we basically have the AFC North wrapped up but I didn't think we had to win the AFC West too! That's going to be tough

We have the toughest schedule, but the Ravens are better when things seem hardest. I can see us beating NY, Pitt, and Denver at home so 13-3 is realistic.

GO RAVENS!

I'd like to see us at least only drop one more loss, and go 13-3 for only the second time in franchise history. I know we face some tough opponents, and have our road issues. But we've been playing great (for the most part) at home, and our upcoming home opponents are tougher than our road ones. If it wasn't for that fake ref overturn of Jones' second TD in Philly, we'd be 9-1 right now. So we'll see what happens.

[quote name='horus13corvineus' timestamp='1353514329' post='1227914']
Question: what happens if Texans, Ravens, Broncos and Pats all finish 12-4 and for that Ravens beat Broncos and Pats beat Texans? we would lose direct tie-breaker to Texans, who would lose it to Pats, who would lose it to us? Is the conference record the next tie-breaker in this scenario?
[/quote]have some fun and go on [url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine"]http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine[/url] and you can pick how the season ends. The site will give you the playoff scenarios as you pick each game. I used this site last year and it is fun to play with from week to week.

We have beaten 3 of he 4 playoff teams who we have faced so far this year
1. Patriots
2. Sqeelers
3. Cowboys

Losing only to the Texans

If you include the Bungoles inthe playoff picture we have won 4 or 5 !

That is a good sign heading into the meat of our schedule and the playoffs!
and we have not even peaked yet! (or come close)

I think that Houston will go 4-2 the rest of the way finishing and 13-3
We have a good shot at finishing 12-4 again
Denver 4-2 to close at 11-5
Pats 3-3 to finish at 10-6
Sqeelers 3-3 / 9-7
and Colts 3-3 / 9-7

Bungoles could realistically finish 9-7 also>>>

So we should be sitting pretty if we take care of our end... and a litle help with Houston would be great!

I agree. We could probably get the 1st seed if we win out, but winning out is a very tall order.

[quote name='Purple City Bird Gang' timestamp='1353517920' post='1227967']
Wouldn't it be great if we win out!? It's possible
[/quote]I think we can do it also. The hardest game left is this week because it a West Coast trip against a team that crushed us last year. I know SD does not look great right now, but I feel if we win this week we will win out. We have 3 tough games at home, but we DO NOT loose at home!!! The Redskins is like a home game and we seem to play our best away games when going against our own division.

yeah SD is the only game giving me the jitters... JJ might want to put on a show... but I hope the Ravens players still have that bitter taste in their mouth from last year If we win this week.. it should be semi-smooth sailing from there...

lets hope they kick one back to Jacoby Jones.. twas too funny to see the steelers squib kick the ball...haha

the Ravens are screwed if they lose everybody's remaining schedule is a cake walk compared to ours

If we get the number one seed we will be in the Super Bowl with the way we have been playing at home I don't see anybody winning at the bank,

WOW! I didn't realize that everyone has it tough. All hard schedules outside of Denver. Glad we got most of our division games out of the way.

If we get Home Field watch out ,We play a hard 2nd Half ,but we played a even harder 1st half of the season ,looking at this with everyone being banged up at this point in the year in certain areas and with us emerging finally in certain areas we have not ,we control our own destiny ,to be honest of all the playoff teams we have the hardest schedule,however no Game in the Nfl is Guaranteed esp with the injuries ,i expect us to fight ,with our road Record tho i think everyone will agree we need Houston to slip up and we need the Home Field.

Playing around with the playoff machine and purely based on my guesses the biggest game for us will be DEN. Win it and we are 1 or 2 seed, lose and 4th possibly going into HOU.
I would really love for NE or DEN to have to go into HOU so we have a chance of multiple home games.

one good thing is that several of the games yet to be played are between the teams in this article.
The texans have to play the colts twice plus the patriots.
We get to play Pittsburgh and the Broncos, both at home, so if we take care of business we should be looking good..

[quote name='BR News' timestamp='1353513063' post='1227903']
[color=#555555][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(225, 227, 228)] The Ravens still trail the Houston Texans in the AFC West[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

*South

This just goes to show how important the Brocos game is: they're one game behind us and we are about their only opponent they're not clearly better.

bio

Funny... 2004 was the last season the Pats played a strong team in the final week (the Colts). Also, the last 10 seasons there were only about one or two seasons they didn't play the last week at home...

bio

[quote name='jrs034' timestamp='1353520212' post='1227994']
the Ravens are screwed if they lose everybody's remaining schedule is a cake walk compared to ours
[/quote]

Well, we've got a brutal stretch, no doubt about that. But the Texans' schedule isn't a particularly easy one, either... 4 of their 6 remaining games are against over-0.500 teams( two of those on the road). The other two teams being the Lions and Tenesse - the latter seems to be an aoutomatic one, but the Lions... So, if they don't keep playing in their form we've seen of them, they could easily have 2 more losses - even 3 if they run out of form.

Of course, that's also true for us - we don't even need a radically decaying road form for that - just the usual...

bio

Let's remember what happened with the Texans last season. They were undefeated until they face the 1 win team of the Indianapolis Colts(ONE WIN TEAM). What happened after that? The Colts beat them, Houston lost home field advantage with the first-round bye to the Patriots, and got eliminated by Baltimore in the divisional round. So, we could have the 1st round home field advantage if either Detroit or Tennessee become the spoilers.

[quote name='raven5286' timestamp='1353527975' post='1228084']
Let's remember what happened with the Texans last season. They were undefeated until they face the 1 win team of the Indianapolis Colts(ONE WIN TEAM). What happened after that? The Colts beat them, Houston lost home field advantage with the first-round bye to the Patriots, and got eliminated by Baltimore in the divisional round. So, we could have the 1st round home field advantage if either Detroit or Tennessee become the spoilers.
[/quote]I think that houston does lose to Detroit tomorrow. They had a long tough game against Jacksonville and are on a short week traveling. Detroit does have Calvin Johnson and Matt Stafford. Chad Henne of all people destroyed their secondary. Justin Blackmon had his way with the Houston secondary. I also see them maybe losing 1 to the colts, titans or both.

As I see it every game we have now is a playoff game. I believe that our guys know this and all will step up and take that gold ring that is within their reach. GO RAVENS!!

Even though we have won a lot of games we haven't been hot yet all season on both sides of the ball. Hopefully we will get hot soon. It would be great to win the next three like we have been winning and then blow out denver. We could coast into the post season with a good streak going.

The good thing is Iron sharpens Iron... Our team will be well tested before the playoffs. If everything remains the same we will have already played every team in the AFC playoffs except Indy. Im not sure INDY will actuall make the playoffs.

I know it's not the end of the season, but I do like the idea that if the season ended today, the Steelers would be headed to Denver for their first playoff game... AGAIN. Forget getting Tebowed... they'd be in line to get seriously Manning'd instead.

[quote name='Big G' timestamp='1353518584' post='1227973']
I think we can do it also. The hardest game left is this week because it a West Coast trip against a team that crushed us last year. I know SD does not look great right now, but I feel if we win this week we will win out. We have 3 tough games at home, but we DO NOT loose at home!!! The Redskins is like a home game and we seem to play our best away games when going against our own division.
[/quote]Yeah man it's the same exact way it was going to Play the Chargers last year If we had won that game New England would have had to come to M&T for the AFCC game. I really hope we finally show up as a complete team on the road this week.

Houston have a hard stretch with 3 straight road games and will probably lose one of them and if we get by San Diego and Denver I think we can get home field advantage.

Man that phily stolen loss will still chase us at the end of the road, i am talking about 1 seed and facing the texans here at home

The Pats will beat the Texans we already took care of the pats we play the way we are suppose to home field!