Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gashman

Ray Rice

215 posts in this topic

At this point of the season, it should be time for Mr Rice to shine.
I love that he signed on to be a Raven, and I am looking forward to watching his game evolve.

That being said, it seems lately he isn't hitting the holes with burst, many times it looks like he just runs into bodies, without seeing the cutback lane next to him. In fact, it almost looks like if you get a fingertip on him, he falls down. I am hoping these aren't "business decisions". I still love watching him play, but is he as effective? Or just an average back these days?

He's always been terrible for falling over when someone waves at him, but the Oline is not doing him any favours with run blocking. I'm as critical as the next guy over a HB needing to find yardage himself by running through a 1 on 1 matchup or making someone miss, but the Oline has been bad lately. Birk was particularly awful in run blocking against Pittsburgh.

[quote name='rubberslinky' timestamp='1353477492' post='1227751']
Ray Rice is my favorite Ravens receiver.
[/quote]
Ray Rice receiver (wide receiver)? OK, Joe Flacco is my favorite safety.lol

The offensive line is just not giving Ray Rice holes to run through right now. Normally we wear down opposing teams and in the fourth quarter Ray Rice starts to break off big runs, and the same goes for the tail end of the season. Our offensive line is not playing at that level of physicality, and for obvious reasons that makes our running game suffer. Ray Rice is actually one of the best runners in the league between the tackles, but if there is no hole then there is not a whole lot he can do. The line just needs to run block better.

We also need to give Bernard Pierce more carries in my opinion. He only got 2 carries against the Steelers! Almost every time he's run the ball its been a positive play. I've been impressed with him. He's also more inclined to bounce a run outside if the middle is stuffed, something Ray rarely seems to do these days.

Lol I got crap for saying RR couldn't hit the hole to save his life and look at what he's doing now. Not to mention there were a couple runs in Pitt where he could have just kept running to the outside; instead he decides to cut back inside and get tackled.

[quote name='baltravens' timestamp='1353485506' post='1227763']
Ray Rice receiver (wide receiver)? OK, Joe Flacco is my favorite safety.lol
[/quote]

Joe Flacco is my favorite fullback, especially on 3rd and 1 from the 1.

[quote name='Cville-Raven' timestamp='1353497654' post='1227776']
Lol I got crap for saying RR couldn't hit the hole to save his life and look at what he's doing now. Not to mention there were a couple runs in Pitt where he could have just kept running to the outside; instead he decides to cut back inside and get tackled.
[/quote]

I thought the same until during the replay I watched the angle and position of the defender being blocked. The defender did his job and forced the play back inside.

[quote name='The King' timestamp='1353487914' post='1227764']
The offensive line is just not giving Ray Rice holes to run through right now. Normally we wear down opposing teams and in the fourth quarter Ray Rice starts to break off big runs, and the same goes for the tail end of the season. Our offensive line is not playing at that level of physicality, and for obvious reasons that makes our running game suffer. Ray Rice is actually one of the best runners in the league between the tackles, but if there is no hole then there is not a whole lot he can do. The line just needs to run block better.
[/quote]what are you basing your claim he's one of the best runners between the tackles on?

[quote name='arnie_uk' timestamp='1353498220' post='1227781']
what are you basing your claim he's one of the best runners between the tackles on?
[/quote]

Teams have game planned against Rice. The quote around the league before this season was, "the Ravens offense runs through Ray Rice." As a result, Rice was the first Raven's weapon teams plan to take away.

Next, comes our changing offense: Remember, games against KC and the Eagles where Rice had outrages averages per carry but the team did not run him much? We, including myself, complained.

Then there is the slower than usual OL blocking, allowing defenders to gain position. And the same stale run schemes with no, creativity what so ever.

Not to place all blame externally, there could be a frustration/confidence factor materializing. Hopefully it's temporary and he/they get over it as the team enters the meat of the season.

[quote name='HoldingCall' timestamp='1353500268' post='1227785']

Teams have game planned against Rice. The quote around the league before this season was, "the Ravens offense runs through Ray Rice." As a result, Rice was the first Raven's weapon teams plan to take away.

Next, comes our changing offense: Remember, games against KC and the Eagles where Rice had outrages averages per carry but the team did not run him much? We, including myself, complained.

Then there is the slower than usual OL blocking, allowing defenders to gain position. And the same stale run schemes with no, creativity what so ever.

Not to place all blame externally, there could be a frustration/confidence factor materializing. Hopefully it's temporary and he/they get over it as the team enters the meat of the season.
[/quote]None of that answered my question.

Our o line has been having problems in pass blocking and run blocking,especially on the road.Most of these bad road games where everyone blames Joe and Cam should be blamed on the o line.I understand us having problems @ pit since theyre good but if our o line cant create and provide time holes vs san diegos average d line that means we have a big problem.

[quote name='HoldingCall' timestamp='1353498092' post='1227780']
I thought the same until during the replay I watched the angle and position of the defender being blocked. [i][u][b]The defender did his job and forced the play back inside.[/b][/u][/i]
[/quote]

not on every run! some plays needed to be bounced to the outside because of the pile in the middle. imo, Ray needs to be given tosses, sweeps and pitches to the outside where his speed and elusiveness is most effective and Pierce needs to be our bruising in between tackles runner. he has the "power" that Ray lacks to push through the cluster. and oh yeah...don't forget about Leeeeeeach!

~Mili

I could be wrong here , but does Ray look just a little slower hitting the hole this year ? I know the oline has blocked poorly for him but I'm not seeing that explosiveness compared to the last few years .

You can't deny his lack of production the last few weeks, but yeah, his O-line has to get it together.
And Birk SUCKS. If we don't already have a guy on our roster to replace him, hit the draft.

[quote name='jimmypowder' timestamp='1353503984' post='1227806']
I could be wrong here , but does Ray look just a little slower hitting the hole this year ? I know the oline has blocked poorly for him but I'm not seeing that explosiveness compared to the last few years .
[/quote]

Slower or hesitant? I absolutely love Ray Rice, but this year he does down at first contact, even if it is minimal. He used to power through defenses. I don't understand the change but I do know that I don't like it.

[quote name='Moderator 3' timestamp='1353504334' post='1227811']

Slower or hesitant? I absolutely love Ray Rice, but this year he does down at first contact, even if it is minimal. He used to power through defenses. I don't understand the change but I do know that I don't like it.
[/quote]hes always been hesitant, he never just hits the hole. That was everyone's biggest knock on him. This year he appears to have lost a lot of burst, he just doesn't come out of his cuts with the same explosion he used to. I think he's put on too much weight.

[quote name='jimmypowder' timestamp='1353503984' post='1227806']
[/quote]

He showed up on the injury report last week because of a toe.Maybe thats whats wrong.

He struggled in Pittsburgh, but so do most running backs so I'm not too worried about that. What does concern me is the two games previously he averaged under 4 yards a carry at Cleveland and under 3 at Oakland - these are both teams that have been terrible at stopping the run this year. He got plenty of carries in Cleveland, and a decent amount in Oakland considering it was a blowout, so I'm really not sure what's going on.

Ray Rice is the least of our worries right now.

Like many said, our o-line has been a carousel at left guard and the whole line has really not played well this season.

We also are trying very hard to force the passing game. Sometimes it works, others it doesn't.

I wouldn't put a lot in the Pittsburgh game. I am just happy no one came out with a bad injury and we got the win. Rice picked up several crucial 3rd downs and we kept the ball and ate the clock. Probably more important than his stat line.

[quote name='HomeoftheBRAVENS' timestamp='1353504989' post='1227816']

He showed up on the injury report last week because of a toe.Maybe thats whats wrong.
[/quote]

Well if he's having some type of issue with turf toe that would explain alot .

At this point , Pierce looks alot more explosive hitting the hole and should get
more carries and he's not going down on first contact.

[quote name='jimmypowder' timestamp='1353508111' post='1227832']
Well if he's having some type of issue with turf toe that would explain alot .

At this point , Pierce looks alot more explosive hitting the hole and should get
more carries and he's not going down on first contact.
[/quote]

Agree 100%. If Ray has a toe issue, then the team needs to use more Pierce.

[quote name='NaveSenrag' timestamp='1353508042' post='1227831']
Hate to say it, but unless Ray drastically improves, we overpayed by a ton.
[/quote]

Your are right on the money

[quote name='Twistidfunk' timestamp='1353506702' post='1227827']
Ray Rice is the least of our worries right now.

Like many said, our o-line has been a carousel at left guard and the whole line has really not played well this season.

We also are trying very hard to force the passing game. Sometimes it works, others it doesn't.

I wouldn't put a lot in the Pittsburgh game. I am just happy no one came out with a bad injury and we got the win. Rice picked up several crucial 3rd downs and we kept the ball and ate the clock. Probably more important than his stat line.
[/quote]
We couldn't get 3rd and 2 to close out the game......our running game got shut down....If we try Pierce on 3rd and 2, we might get it but the game was too important to put on a rookie to run at that point.

Most of the time like every1 seen it, Rice just ran in the wall and didn't intend to bounce outside when there was no holes.

My thought is we need to shuffle around our O-line for run and pass: run we try Harewood and pass we try Reid. Also, we should try Gino or something cuz Birk got beat on the block so many times...He is old btw, not the probowl form like before..

[quote name='Moderator 3' timestamp='1353504334' post='1227811']
[/quote]

I disagree, the splash plays have made him look more elusive than he is, he's never been good at forcing defenders to miss. The oline has always dictated his production.