210 replies to this topic

#1 Gashman

Gashman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:00 AM

At this point of the season, it should be time for Mr Rice to shine.
I love that he signed on to be a Raven, and I am looking forward to watching his game evolve.

That being said, it seems lately he isn't hitting the holes with burst, many times it looks like he just runs into bodies, without seeing the cutback lane next to him. In fact, it almost looks like if you get a fingertip on him, he falls down. I am hoping these aren't "business decisions". I still love watching him play, but is he as effective? Or just an average back these days?

#2 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,762 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:08 AM

He's always been terrible for falling over when someone waves at him, but the Oline is not doing him any favours with run blocking. I'm as critical as the next guy over a HB needing to find yardage himself by running through a 1 on 1 matchup or making someone miss, but the Oline has been bad lately. Birk was particularly awful in run blocking against Pittsburgh.

#3 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:13 AM

The LG carousel has been a problem, and Birk has shown his age at centre.

#4 RavensAllTheWay

RavensAllTheWay

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:13 AM

I'm going to keep clamoring for us to put Harewood back in. He looked great as a run blocker.

#5 rubberslinky

rubberslinky

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:58 AM

Ray Rice is my favorite Ravens receiver.

#6 baltravens

baltravens

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:11 AM

Ray Rice is my favorite Ravens receiver.

Ray Rice receiver (wide receiver)? OK, Joe Flacco is my favorite safety.lol

Edited by baltravens, 21 November 2012 - 03:12 AM.

#7 The King

The King

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:51 AM

The offensive line is just not giving Ray Rice holes to run through right now. Normally we wear down opposing teams and in the fourth quarter Ray Rice starts to break off big runs, and the same goes for the tail end of the season. Our offensive line is not playing at that level of physicality, and for obvious reasons that makes our running game suffer. Ray Rice is actually one of the best runners in the league between the tackles, but if there is no hole then there is not a whole lot he can do. The line just needs to run block better.

#8 BmoreRav

BmoreRav

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:02 AM

We also need to give Bernard Pierce more carries in my opinion. He only got 2 carries against the Steelers! Almost every time he's run the ball its been a positive play. I've been impressed with him. He's also more inclined to bounce a run outside if the middle is stuffed, something Ray rarely seems to do these days.

Edited by BmoreRav, 21 November 2012 - 04:03 AM.

Posted Image

#9 Cville-Raven

Cville-Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,539 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:34 AM

Lol I got crap for saying RR couldn't hit the hole to save his life and look at what he's doing now. Not to mention there were a couple runs in Pitt where he could have just kept running to the outside; instead he decides to cut back inside and get tackled.

#10 HoldingCall

HoldingCall

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:38 AM

Ray Rice receiver (wide receiver)? OK, Joe Flacco is my favorite safety.lol

Joe Flacco is my favorite fullback, especially on 3rd and 1 from the 1.

#11 HoldingCall

HoldingCall

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:41 AM

Lol I got crap for saying RR couldn't hit the hole to save his life and look at what he's doing now. Not to mention there were a couple runs in Pitt where he could have just kept running to the outside; instead he decides to cut back inside and get tackled.

I thought the same until during the replay I watched the angle and position of the defender being blocked. The defender did his job and forced the play back inside.

#12 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,966 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:43 AM

The offensive line is just not giving Ray Rice holes to run through right now. Normally we wear down opposing teams and in the fourth quarter Ray Rice starts to break off big runs, and the same goes for the tail end of the season. Our offensive line is not playing at that level of physicality, and for obvious reasons that makes our running game suffer. Ray Rice is actually one of the best runners in the league between the tackles, but if there is no hole then there is not a whole lot he can do. The line just needs to run block better.

what are you basing your claim he's one of the best runners between the tackles on?

#13 HoldingCall

HoldingCall

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:17 AM

what are you basing your claim he's one of the best runners between the tackles on?

Teams have game planned against Rice. The quote around the league before this season was, "the Ravens offense runs through Ray Rice." As a result, Rice was the first Raven's weapon teams plan to take away.

Next, comes our changing offense: Remember, games against KC and the Eagles where Rice had outrages averages per carry but the team did not run him much? We, including myself, complained.

Then there is the slower than usual OL blocking, allowing defenders to gain position. And the same stale run schemes with no, creativity what so ever.

Not to place all blame externally, there could be a frustration/confidence factor materializing. Hopefully it's temporary and he/they get over it as the team enters the meat of the season.

#14 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,966 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:27 AM

Teams have game planned against Rice. The quote around the league before this season was, "the Ravens offense runs through Ray Rice." As a result, Rice was the first Raven's weapon teams plan to take away.

Next, comes our changing offense: Remember, games against KC and the Eagles where Rice had outrages averages per carry but the team did not run him much? We, including myself, complained.

Then there is the slower than usual OL blocking, allowing defenders to gain position. And the same stale run schemes with no, creativity what so ever.

Not to place all blame externally, there could be a frustration/confidence factor materializing. Hopefully it's temporary and he/they get over it as the team enters the meat of the season.

None of that answered my question.

#15 HomeoftheBRAVENS

HomeoftheBRAVENS

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:56 AM

Our o line has been having problems in pass blocking and run blocking,especially on the road.Most of these bad road games where everyone blames Joe and Cam should be blamed on the o line.I understand us having problems @ pit since theyre good but if our o line cant create and provide time holes vs san diegos average d line that means we have a big problem.

#16 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,374 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:12 AM

I thought the same until during the replay I watched the angle and position of the defender being blocked. The defender did his job and forced the play back inside.

not on every run! some plays needed to be bounced to the outside because of the pile in the middle. imo, Ray needs to be given tosses, sweeps and pitches to the outside where his speed and elusiveness is most effective and Pierce needs to be our bruising in between tackles runner. he has the "power" that Ray lacks to push through the cluster. and oh yeah...don't forget about Leeeeeeach!

~Mili

Edited by Militant X 1, 21 November 2012 - 08:13 AM.

Militant X 1

RayLewisSig1_zps3a0863e0.png

"I don’t care about the opponent. They’re nameless, gray faces!"

- Mike Tomlin

#17 jimmypowder

jimmypowder

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:19 AM

I could be wrong here , but does Ray look just a little slower hitting the hole this year ? I know the oline has blocked poorly for him but I'm not seeing that explosiveness compared to the last few years .

#18 display name

display name

Gotham's Reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,981 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:20 AM

You can't deny his lack of production the last few weeks, but yeah, his O-line has to get it together.
And Birk SUCKS. If we don't already have a guy on our roster to replace him, hit the draft.

The Raven, on 03 Jan 2012-624 PM, said:

"You have reached your quota of negative votes for the day"

VIVA LA BUTT-FUMBLE!!!

Malkavian Raven, on 4 June 2014, said: "Display's off his meds again. Alert the white coats with the butterfly nets."

#19 Moderator 3

Moderator 3

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,928 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:25 AM

I could be wrong here , but does Ray look just a little slower hitting the hole this year ? I know the oline has blocked poorly for him but I'm not seeing that explosiveness compared to the last few years .

Slower or hesitant? I absolutely love Ray Rice, but this year he does down at first contact, even if it is minimal. He used to power through defenses. I don't understand the change but I do know that I don't like it.
15fqib6.jpg

#20 jimmypowder

jimmypowder

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:28 AM

Both !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users