Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] New Players Step Up On Defense

39 posts in this topic

The Ravens have been getting significant contributions from unfamiliar faces.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/New-Players-Step-Up-On-Defense/df5e7a99-d06e-4d5f-bc00-80005eb926bc]View the full article[/url]

The knowledge that the "Twos" and "Threes" came on and stifled the vaunted squealer run/pass game, even with Leftwich, under Center is heartening!

We will be tested against a consummate passer in Rivers this week, but I feel confident that they'll show up!

Last year we got chewed up by Rivers' short passes! We're coming in with relatively fresh legs this year!

Ihedigbo, Ellerbee, Corey Graham and Tyson have all been nice surprises!
I think that Krueger, and Upshaw has played well and look to be getting better

WoW for Chris Johnosn to step in an play like he did.... thats impressive
but most improtantly

I think Pollard is playing out of him skull!
Just hope that we can continue to progress~!

All I know is, the defense as a whole did a fantastic job against Pittsburgh, and they hopefully will grow together and continue to get better the rest of the season!!

Who would of known all Dean Pees's needed to do is be in the box? Glad to see this get turned around! Hopefully we get our offense on the same page on the road.

Really I do not have the patients to name all the new players but I will say this. there not one new player on this team that cannot do nothing. They have all stepped up. and they all have surprised me in one way or the other that makes me proud to be a Ravens fans and that is going to keep Pees his job. He had a slow start but now he seems to be in a groove with his defense period I love that How about you?

Garrett, do us all a favor and don't quote Harbaugh any more. Trite phrases like "team effort" "team defense" "guys stepping up" "the thing I'm most proud about (fill in the blank)" are pure drivel and we've heard them 1000x before. Don't quote him like they are pronouncements from on high. Thanks.

keep it up guys, everyday and every game is a learning process and i am really going to enjoy it when you all are peaking together

Finally got to see Corey Graham and now James Inhedigbo! The Ravens are Too Deeeeep and the Stage is "PACKED" with nothing but Talent falling off the Shelves! One Superbowl "WONT" be Enough!

Seems like not too long ago we got schooled in SD. (last year?) Here's hoping we can carry over some butt kicking D from last game as we go to Cal.

Dean Pees deserves a lot of the credit in knowing he could serve himself and the team better calling plays from the booth. Great to see a coach adjust and succeed.

I loved the physicality of that game. If they brought it like that to every game, we would have a top 10 defense for sure. Our record doesn't lie, come playoffs we will be primed to go.

It wasnt just Dean Pees sitting up as the eye in the sky. It took him a while but he had to figure out who did what best. Plus how to incooperate our new players. But I think we have it together. Now well see what kind of pass rush we can generate in San Diego to help our new secondary.

that's it young lions.....roarrrrrr! keep your confidence up and take it into san diego and get out of there with a win.

~Mili

All you heard on Sunday night is how the Steelers were without Ben NOT how many players the Ravens were missing. Just no respect from any of these shows. Never has been and probably never will be BUT we love those Ravens.

The front office does a great job of finding hard hitting secondary personnel. Pollard, Ihedigbo, Johnson, Graham, Webb, Williams, Brown, etc... the list goes on. I would think with the return of Webb we will really be overloaded with talent in that area. I hate to say it but we really need to be looking for that Ray Lewis, Patrick Willis, Brian Urlacher type mike linebacker to replace the greatest linebacker in history. I think the time has come to shore up that position for the future because Ray is missing games more and more every year. 2010 was 16 games, 2011 was 12 games, 2012 will be 6. Can he get in shape to start the season, sure, will he still be able to make it 16 games ever again? Considering that, when he goes out, we need to have that guy. Ellerbe is good in the middle, put McLain on the edge as a run edge setter to swap downs with Kruger passrushing and get that mike linebacker to lead us forward.

I'd just like to c this play continue. In the back of my mind I've been wondering since the summer why there were so many guys who have seen so little time and since the lines started out so let's say un Raven like why it took injuries to get the right guys in the right position. That's Harb's style I guess. He sure has been calm explaining things. I still think the Bowl is a long shot. But getting by NE and Denver to face his bro would be amazing. Or imagine if GB or the Saints make a run this year. A bunch of teams including the 27th ranked defense making a run. That would be unique and better than the same freaking Brady doing ads and bs'g all over the cow field.

Congrats to everybody just a information i discovered the other day our defense has such bad stats because they play a lot of snaps more than the other defenses..For example on the passing game steeler 561 snaps ravens 721(most nfl) ,running game tampa bay 240 attempts ravens 328(second most nfl jaguars has 331)..i can go on and go on but i recomend go there and i see some stats we are not that bad..and the reason we have more snaps is because our offense sometimes struggle(road) and have to many 3 and outs.

I loved that sack Ihedigbo put on Leftwich. If you look at the exchange on the sideline between Suggs and Ihedigbo, you see the communication between the players and their willingness to listen and learn from each other. I think that's why, even with all the blows to the defensive side, the Ravens are succeeding. They are truly a team and the play like it. That's why I love this team!

[quote name='Purpleghost23' timestamp='1353508741' post='1227842']
Congrats to everybody just a information i discovered the other day our defense has such bad stats because they play a lot of snaps more than the other defenses..For example on the passing game steeler 561 snaps ravens 721(most nfl) ,running game tampa bay 240 attempts ravens 328(second most nfl jaguars has 331)..i can go on and go on but i recomend go there and i see some stats we are not that bad..and the reason we have more snaps is because our offense sometimes struggle(road) and have to many 3 and outs.
[/quote]

It's too simple to blame it all on the offense. Keep in mind that the defense can limit their time on the field by making a stop. The defense has so many snaps because they can't stop the other team.

loving the next man up mentality, glad we have so much depth, wouldnt like to see what would happen if another key starter went down though

Raven fans have a lot to be thankfull for this Thanksgiving as we stuff ourselves while watching Houston lose to Detroit, RGIII blowing up Romo, and New England getting edged out by the Jets (wishfull thinking here)! Thanks Harbs and company for a great start to the season. GO RAVENS! Ain't the beer cold!

This Ravens Defense is better than a new iPad! Just plug and play! The team depth and players understanding of the playbook shows up every week! Way to go fellas..

I've always been a advocate for using the talent u have and letting ur young stars shine, it really showed in this pittsburgh game, I mean C. johnson, C. Graham, J Ihedigbo, and even Cary williams stepped up and became a leader. I think our defense is really gonna surprise some people, it might not be pretty but these guys r starting to gel and it will get better b4 it gets worst. btw I know some of these guys r vets from other teams but they still were good pick ups, credit to our staffing dept.