Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] NFL Suspends Ed Reed For One Game

167 posts in this topic

Ed Reed has been suspended for repeated violations of player safety rules.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/NFL-Suspends-Ed-Reed-For-One-Game/47e8d22f-a64b-4447-a49a-0ce4708fa000]View the full article[/url]

Oh COME ON!!! Football is a rough game. There will be hard hits, there willbe injuries, that is the risk you take when you choose to enter the NFL. Roger Goodell and the NFL Front Office are [ruining] football, it's saddening.

I think this is probably a knee-jerk reaction on the part of the NFL due to all the concussed QB's from last week's games.

Not fair to Ed on this one though, as it appeared to me that Sanders lowered his head to draw that penalty, imho.

They need to ammend the rule because it is impossible for a defender to adjust the height on their hit when they are already aiming low and the "defensless" reciever ducks his own head to brace for impact. The ducking of the head should count as a football move...

3 hits in 3 years??? We are going back three seasons to penalize players? come on now. Reed isn't even putting people out of the game, he get's hurt more than his opponent does. goodness gracious...

someone please post the NFL idiot's email address if the player dips and you have initiated your hit there is nothing you can do to adjust.

i am not happy about this...I understand the flag..im over that..but a suspension??? If you really look at the hit it looked like reed was hitting with his arm but the player put his head down so it looked like a head-to-head but it wasn't reeds intention..ughhhh

wouldn't the 2010 hit deal with the prior CBA? what would that have to do with the current CBA rules

i am lost for words. actually the words i would like to use would get me into trouble.

3 times in 3 years. Is this the rule?

It is about safety safety safety.
They are going to do anything and everything for it.
It is the game now, get use to it.

I have so much respect for ed reed but he is the worst tackler on the team. He lunges in with his shoulder every time and thats how he gets hurt. I feel better having James Ihedibo back there for San Diego. Ed Reed is without a doubt one of the best safties ever but he is just wearing himself down at this point.

[quote name='eek' timestamp='1353362299' post='1226478']
wouldn't the 2010 hit deal with the prior CBA? what would that have to do with the current CBA rules
[/quote]thats what I'm thinking before the rule change-- and it was a hit on Brees in 2010. Ed Reed with his neck issues would be the last to lead with his head.
I thought the hit by Clark on Pitta was worse.

They really need to look at these head to head hits when the receivers lower there helmets into an oncoming tackler. Its been killing these calls for a while now.

the league wants to show the world they're making a point in stopping concussions by using Ed, who's a well known player... it's got nothing to do with the hits (last two of three were unintentional and third back when gran'ma was a little princess)... nfl just wants the show, arbitrary rules (as per all fines) abound

This is absolutely the most BS call the NFL could have made.
These hits were all unintentional, it just comes with the game to have instances where you may not have the time necessary to lower your pad level. Looks more like the league trying to make an example of Reed. Just wow. At least it's only one game so he'll be able to play the Steelers in a couple weeks.

This clearly demonstrates what I have been saying about the NFL's personal attack on Baltimore sports teams that runs all the way back to the Ted Marchibroda era. They have held something for years. They never show the Ravens in any of their feature stories on the Nfl.com site, the officiating against us, and other negativity. I am not surprised by this BS. Somebody should have the courage to speak up about this. smh!

3 hits in 3 years gets you a suspension these days!?!? The fact that a hit from 2010 helps get you suspended 3 years later is maddening! Sometimes I think this league has become a joke.

It's clear that all sports are run by the Mafia...
Why is it so important announce if a player will be playing in a game or not?

Remember Allen Iverson?
Do you remember that corrupt Rep that they found out was fixing games, said on sixty minuts that they would pick on Iverson. Call fouls on him because they didn't like him.
You can find it on YouTube..

It's well known that Arnold Rothstein fixed the 1919 world series. Gangsters...

To quote one of my favorite comments from the nfl.com article, "This just in... Ed Reed is a football player."

This bs, the league is upset that we beat the sainted Steelers, so they want to try to make sure we lose next week by being even more shorthanded. I know the league wants to protect players but this is so stupid, they really need to review these hits, i mean sometimes they just can't stop,

3 violations in three seasons and that warrants a suspension?? Cmon man. If its game after game I would understand. On top of that this penalty cannot be called acurately in real game speed and a tackler can do nothing about an offensive player that is also going to the ground at the same time. If they are going to issue a penalty then it should be automatically reviewed in the booth each time one is called. If not, it needs to be something that is looked at at the end of each week and then fines and suspensions should be issued. And if a suspension is going to be issued there should be criteria for how many hits in a period of time warrants a suspension. You cant just suspend players willy nilly without a guidline to follow. And if following a slo mo replay it is determined that an offensive player ducked his head into the hit or is going to the ground simultaneously then there should be no call or fine.

The "receiver" caught the ball, took 2 steps and lowered his head. Isn't that exactly the moment the "receiver" becomes a "runner" and no longer defenseless?

And the penalty was "unnecessary roughness" not "helmet to helmet on a defenseless receiver" so that is like getting a penalty for tackling too hard.

You start pulling up on hits and next thing you know you have Byron Leftwich running past you 31 yards for a touchdown. C'mon man! This is football!

If Ed appeals, doesn't it take a few weeks to resolve? I think I'd rather he miss SD...

Please. Ed has been playing wounded for more than three years. He hurts himself more than the other guy every time he lays the wood on them. All these hits listed have been nearly upright as well. He has not launched himself into anyone. I remember a game in New England where Joe Flacco was pancaked between two defenders and took two viscous head hits on the first play of the game. No freakin' flag. This is once again about those darn upstart Ravens playing too darn good.

the most funny part is that he got a fine to..if i were reed i will said huh i hit a guy on the head 3 years ago? lol

Make an example of the future Hall-of-Famer who has been critical of the NFL and their practices. I swear they are a bunch of 13-year olds. It ticks me off because there was no way to avoid it that hit. I guess we need to start diving at knees and ankles, at least until there is a rise in ACL tears.

@H8R The appeal process can take awhile but they spoke to the NFL and seemed to have worked out a way to accelerate the process so we'll get a decision around Thursday.

i agree with General Flacco, an offensive player can just lower his head and just make contact with the tackler, and there's your 15-yard penalty, when i saw reeds tackle, reed all ready lowered his head and tackle sanders in mid-section, but sanders also lowered his head in last second which made the helmet to helmet contact, now that rule is flawed, teams can exploit it to their advantage, u can just lower your head when your about to get tackled and move the chains, that rule will hurt a team in playoffs.

What is next we win against sao diego and they will ban sizzle for been playing to good after an ackiles injury Cmon

going back 3 years to dig up 3 hits is like carrying over fouls from one basketball game to another. When I saw the replay, it looked like they should have called the penalty on Sanders...hes the one that initiated the head to head contact.

This is ridiculous, Ed Reed is a clean player. If they want to suspend somebody, why not go after Lamarr Woodley for his head to head hits? Really? Oh how many four letter words I have for Goodell.

Now everybody will catch the ball and try to make their heads hit the defenders head to get 15 yards penalties so s t u p i d

I actually agree. Hits above the shoulder are a clear violation.
Ed is really high-maintenance, and it's getting on my nerves. Now watch him open his mouth.

They may as well just make it a flag football game for the defensive secondary. These guys already have one of the toughest and most thankless jobs on the field and the league just keeps making it harder for them.