Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] At First Glance: Ravens At Steelers

49 posts in this topic

BaltimoreRavens.com writers give their first impressions of the Ravens’ 13-10 win.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/At-First-Glance-Ravens-At-Steelers/1709d8b9-ac6a-4703-b0ef-ecd7c9e70bbe]View the full article[/url]

to all u steelers trolls trollin the ravens website mike tomlin said excuses are tools for the incompetent. i dont wanna hear escuses yall lost...no excuses

Well, I guess I should be use to it by now; another stinker on the road. Unbelievable. At least the D showed up and played a respectable game, at least compared to how they have been playing. I am so glad Leftwich did not beat us; I wouldn’t be able to go to work tomorrow.

#24 looked pretty good tonight and #32 made the play to supposedly put the game away if we could get two 1[sup]st[/sup] downs!?!? The Hammer laid the wood and #20 didn’t fumble the fumble recovery.

Thank you Jacoby, you saved our arses. Just try to do a more manly TD dance next time.

Good to see our defense getting its mojo back. This offense still has things to work out on the road though & I place blame at the feet of CC "the great" (sarcasm). Why do we not work the middle of the field more & why did we start going away from Boldin in the 2nd half? It killed me to see us not be able to convert a 3rd & 2 to close out the game. Anyway just nitpicking & i'll sleep well knowing we got the W. Special shout outs to Corey Graham , Ngata, Ellerbe & Pollard, they balled out tonight & kept it physical.

Classic Ravens-Steeler game. "Hey Casey Hampton, you don't have to hate us. We are satisfied with beating you in your own house... on national TV... in HD for some!!!!"

My take aways:

Defense- Forced 3 turn overs. Held one of the best running back committees to 134 yards when their game plan was to run the ball. The defense (pretty far into the depth chart in a few areas) is much improved since two 200 yard rushing games in the first half of the season. B

Offense- Made no turn overs. Did what they needed to win, scored on two drives. It looked like they went up against division rivals who happened to be the #1 defense in the NFL. C

Special Teams- Good kicking, good blocking, good running. They won the field position battle in this game and was the difference maker in this game. Have came a long way since last season. A

Two 3rd and 2 situations in the 4th quarter that are called horribly by Cameron. The first he calls for vertical routes down the field - Joe essentially throws it away by throwing it down the sideline to Jones who was covered well. 3rd and 2 and he's calling for a deep ball? Pick up the 1st down, move the chains, kill some clock, give the defense a bit of a break. Next one: 3rd and 2 to win the game late in the 4th quarter. Rather than run the ball, which despite their lack of success still seemed to be the best option to put the game away, Cameron calls a pass from the shotgun.. Joe stands back a bit and is sacked.

Cam Cameron fails consistently to call plays in tight spots; his lack of imagination and situational awareness is crippling to the offense. As much as i hate believing it, I cant see this team winning the big one with him calling the plays on offense. Regardless of the outcome of the season, ne needs to go. I can't imagine what Flacco could do with an OC who understood the personnel better and had a better mind for calling plays.

sore losing steelers will talk but what they dont realize is that they were going against back up corner backs they can say we won because they didnt have their starting qb but we didnt have half of our starting defense

I still will never complain about a win nor will i rip any credit from an improving Steelers defense, but the offense did play horrible. I thought there were a few easy adjustments we could've made. PIttsburgh gambled a lot dropping Clark under Torrey, we could gave him some options routes, or moved him to the slot, or threw Jacoby in one slot or the other to make em play honest. That secondary was bleeding fear (especially of Torrey), i think we probly coulda took them with 3 wide sets all night. oh well.
I hope they figure something out on that side of the ball soon, we really shouldnt be having these problems, facing a good defense or not.

Defense is returning to form, DBs stingy as ever. Graham had a message for everybody, he's not just a special teams ace out here, throw it at him if you want.

[quote name='whitecurrency20' timestamp='1353303581' post='1225561']
Next one: 3rd and 2 to win the game late in the 4th quarter. Rather than run the ball, which despite their lack of success still seemed to be the best option to put the game away, Cameron calls a pass from the shotgun.. Joe stands back a bit and is sacked.
[/quote]

Actually running the routes and taking the sack used up more clock than running Rice into a brick wall wouldve so i wouldnt criticize that much.
Statistically, odds sucked that we picked up that first down either way, so i actually dont have a problem with this call.
my only wish is that maybe Joe gets out of the pocket here and tries to make something happen. If nothing else, he would at least burn even more clock with the chase

I disagree. 3rd and 2 in any situation against any team, i'm going to trust the best full back in the league with one of the best running backs in the league. If you don't pick it up, you don't deserve it. And given this game, this rivalry, and that team, running for 2 yards to pick up the W seems more logical than throwing a 10-15 yard route.

For those Ravens saying our O sucked, consider we were up against a good D and a raucous crowd.

On another note, I'd like to see stats on our D through the past 10 games. Would seem to me it's made steady improvement, and the low rank is due to ancient history.

If Coach Pees in the box helps, great move.

I'm not going to the the offense sucked. They did just what they had to do to win the game and not turn the ball over. They were also going against the #1 ranked defense and giving our road struggles, I thought they did fairly okay (not great). I just want Cam Cameron to get more creative. But it was a terrific team win, it's real hard to win in Pittsburgh (As the Ravens are their only 2 losses at home in the past 2 years. Great team win!

GOOD GOD, MOST OF YOU PEOPLE ON HERE ARE HILARIOUS, LMAO!!!! Thank you for the laugh, I really appreciate it. I also appreciate you people being just where you are, right behind your computer screen, and you sure don't need to be any where else!!

I can't believe (well never mind, I forgot where I was for a second) some of the things that you people cry, complain and constantly gripe about on here, SPECIALLY AFTER A WIN, and a win against a heated/hated division rival in the Steelers!!

Of course there are plenty of things that need work, need tweaked, need adjusted etc. etc. etc!! But the Baltimore Ravens are 8-2, are sitting atop the AFC North division with now a two game lead over the Steelers, have won so far all of their division games and every last conference game except one (Houston)!! So as of right now all those things are a HUGE help, "if" it comes down to it and the Ravens need that kind of help to decide a seed or whatever.

The Ravens are winning games right now, not pretty by any means, BUT WHO CARES how pretty it is. A win is a win, is a win!!!!!! C'MON MAN, enjoy this win and let them boys and coaches keep doing what they're doing. Once there is a COMPLETE MELT DOWN, then go back to your crying and nit picking and pointing fingers and having complete little kid temper tantrums!!

Tha RAVENS WON AND IT'S GOING TO BE A GREAT MONDAY, AND WEEK!!! WELL DONE BOYS AND GET THAT REST YALL NEED!!

Oh and I didn't call out a single person in my rant and some what of a little rave. So if you took or take offense to any of my comments, then congratulations the shoe fits and you wear it well, ciao Raven nation!!

[quote name='whitecurrency20' timestamp='1353304789' post='1225611']
I disagree. 3rd and 2 in any situation against any team, i'm going to trust the best full back in the league with one of the best running backs in the league. If you don't pick it up, you don't deserve it. And given this game, this rivalry, and that team, running for 2 yards to pick up the W seems more logical than throwing a 10-15 yard route.
[/quote]

if Rice didnt come out of this came with a 2 yard per carry average, you'd be right. but as is usually the case, putting the ball in the air provided the best chance of generating any meaningful offense against Pittsburgh

[quote name='RavenFan28105' timestamp='1353305159' post='1225633']
I'm not going to the the offense sucked. They did just what they had to do to win the game and not turn the ball over. They were also going against the #1 ranked defense and giving our road struggles, I thought they did fairly okay (not great). I just want Cam Cameron to get more creative. But it was a terrific team win, it's real hard to win in Pittsburgh (As the Ravens are their only 2 losses at home in the past 2 years. Great team win!
[/quote]

3 now

[i][i]It was a hard-nosed, physical, brutally fought game that resulted in a team victory in a hostile environment that got us one step closer to where we want to be...personally, I am going to relish in it!!![/i][/i]

I for one am never in the win-is-a-win camp.
Every game signals how we'll go the rest of the season.
And if we win but play poorly, it's an omen.

Point is : For the first time this season, I can see how things can improve big time.
It took the top-rated D at home to limit our O in points.
True, HOU has something to say but let's see how we'll be in the playoffs.

This team could really start generating some momentum from Now.

I only wanted the Ravens to win and they did. I superstitiously sacrificed by not watching the game but following Garrett online and it paid off! Yippeeee!! Go Ravens!

with a 260lbs FB,a 230lbs QB,who just happens to 6'4" or 5",never mind 3rd and 2,3rd and inches,is there some unwritten rule that Leach doesn't carry the ball[at least once more before he retires],after that it was time for Joe Cool to show some fire coming off the field he should have been kicking some butt,I mean how can you look your OF line in the eye after not picking up 3rd and inches and not challenge those guys and/or himself[has Cam ever heard of the QB sneak,is Flacco so fragile he can't sneak for a few inches;I've said this before 3rd and 2 is a license for Cam to panic and start having brain lock,believe me when I say this he's not going to question his call look for the Old 'poor execution' excuse,you know the one where it was the right call we just didn't execute and Joe sometimes it's alright to lose your 'Cool' this thing about coming off the field as if everything is alright,when things aren't alright,well it's not [ALRIGHT that is]

ps: Cory Graham is going to make it hard for them to keep him off the field he showed the ball awareness that Smith and/or Williams lack,call it technique,instincts,talent whatever when the ball is in the air he's close enough to contest and he tackles,which is something the Ravens are going to have to improve on,especially Reed that shoulder that he is always throwing into tackles is not going to do it so many times this season opponents just seem to bounce off,a lot of Ravens use that same technique,thus a lot of missed tackles,what ever happened to grabbing on with your hands when you tackle some one,Oh this is the age of Hi-Tech. clothing and athletic gear with the gloves and fashion statements so I guess it's hard to get a grip!

[quote name='CharmCityRaven' timestamp='1353305872' post='1225653']
GOOD GOD, MOST OF YOU PEOPLE ON HERE ARE HILARIOUS, LMAO!!!! Thank you for the laugh, I really appreciate it. I also appreciate you people being just where you are, right behind your computer screen, and you sure don't need to be any where else!!

I can't believe (well never mind, I forgot where I was for a second) some of the things that you people cry, complain and constantly gripe about on here, SPECIALLY AFTER A WIN, and a win against a heated/hated division rival in the Steelers!!

Of course there are plenty of things that need work, need tweaked, need adjusted etc. etc. etc!! But the Baltimore Ravens are 8-2, are sitting atop the AFC North division with now a two game lead over the Steelers, have won so far all of their division games and every last conference game except one (Houston)!! So as of right now all those things are a HUGE help, "if" it comes down to it and the Ravens need that kind of help to decide a seed or whatever.

The Ravens are winning games right now, not pretty by any means, BUT WHO CARES how pretty it is. A win is a win, is a win!!!!!! C'MON MAN, enjoy this win and let them boys and coaches keep doing what they're doing. Once there is a COMPLETE MELT DOWN, then go back to your crying and nit picking and pointing fingers and having complete little kid temper tantrums!!

Tha RAVENS WON AND IT'S GOING TO BE A GREAT MONDAY, AND WEEK!!! WELL DONE BOYS AND GET THAT REST YALL NEED!!
[/quote]

Yes, we are 8-2 and in 1[sup]st[/sup] place in the AFC North division with a 2 game lead over the squeelers. But winning the AFC North is not the goal; winning another playoff game to keep Harbs, Flacco and Rice’s playoff streak intact is not the goal. The goal is a Super Bowl Victory; anything else is a failure. When you see others like myself who are lamenting at the subpar performance of our championship caliber team, that’s all it is. Speaking for myself, I’m not satisfied with limping through a season only to be one and done in the playoffs. From my perspective we need to be dominating good teams like we did against Oakland. Even that game had a suspect subpar defensive performance considering they couldn’t run the ball and still put up 300 yds in the air against us. Our time is now so we need to make the best of it. The only thing the team has been consistent at is playing below its potential for whatever reason. YOU can choose to look at the situation through rose colored glasses and be happy go lucky because we’re 8-2 and playing like crap but I will continue to use my clear glasses and refuse to celebrate mediocrity and worse. If last night’s performance was our best we won’t be hoisting any Lombardi Trophy this year.

IJS