Photo

Kevlar in helmet

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 BohBalmerOsbohs

BohBalmerOsbohs

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:18 AM

Someone explain to me how this is supposed to help his brain from sloshing around in his skull?

Yes, Kevlar can stop a bullet, but the energy of the blast has to go somewhere (his skull). Kevlar is designed to protect from cuts, abrasions and heat. Theres only so much it can absorb.

Posted Image

"Talk is cheap. Let's go play." Johnny Unitas

#2 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,668 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:20 AM

To me, it feels like you're making a helmet even more of a weapon

Notice how it's Ryan Clark and James Harrison with it in their helmets... it should tell you something.
a9skd1.jpg

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#3 MissK528

MissK528

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,102 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:23 AM

I guess their thinking is that if it absorbs the impact of a bullet, it can absorb the impact of a hit? But, as you said, it doesn't exactly prevent the brain from bouncing around in the skull.

What I want to know is how well the helmet fits with that extra layer. They said he had to go up a size in his helmet because of that extra padding, but even with that, does it really do any good if it's still a little too big?

#4 BohBalmerOsbohs

BohBalmerOsbohs

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:29 AM

I guess their thinking is that if it absorbs the impact of a bullet, it can absorb the impact of a hit? But, as you said, it doesn't exactly prevent the brain from bouncing around in the skull.

Hardly. Ever seen someones skin after getting shot with a Kevlar vest on? bruising and somtimes even bleeding. It stops the projectile but all the force still gets absorbed into your body.

Edited by BohBalmerOsbohs, 19 November 2012 - 12:30 AM.

Posted Image

"Talk is cheap. Let's go play." Johnny Unitas

#5 Purple Nurple

Purple Nurple

Telling It Like It Is Since 1974

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,143 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:34 AM

Energy dispersion.

newsigg2_zps9e6531bd.jpg

#6 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,824 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

Like I said in the GT. If you have to wear Kevlar around your head to play, maybe you should be sitting this one out.

Clark made a few plays last night and pointed to his head. We get it, your stupid.
Posted Image