Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BloodRaven

Byron Leftwich and his 31yd rushing touchdown

42 posts in this topic

I'm pointing the blame right at Suggs, Ellerbe and Kemoeatu. All three had the opportunity to hustle and make the tackle, but they all pull up expecting Corey Graham and Pollard to cleanup on the sideline, only Graham gets blocked and Pollard misses.

Where was the hustle? we just made the most immobile QB look like Cam Newton, he even lost his balance while running and fell over in the goalline. Embarrassing.

Pollard deserves some blame for a poor attempt at a tackle - it is his job, after all; he's a safety... He atoned for it later

Hate to say it but it was mostly Sizzle, he was supposed to keep contain and he tried to make a big play early and stunted back inside. Pollard also missed the tackle on him down the sidelines going for the big hit. Sloppy play but we held firm and didn't allow another Td the rest of the night, I'll take it.

... and, after that, the Ravens defense played their best game, tonight; back-up quarterback-or-whatever...

[quote name='Chris J. Faria' timestamp='1353300927' post='1225367']
... and, after that, the Ravens defense played their best game, tonight; back-up quarterback-or-whatever...
[/quote]
They couldnt do crap! :) Hope Kurt Warner is right and that we go back into the top 10 by the end of the year

[quote name='sflegend89' timestamp='1353300875' post='1225358']
Hate to say it but it was mostly Sizzle, he was supposed to keep contain and he tried to make a big play early and stunted back inside. Pollard also missed the tackle on him down the sidelines going for the big hit. Sloppy play but we held firm and didn't allow another Td the rest of the night, I'll take it.
[/quote]

Dude, what? Keep contain? He was rushing from the opposite side... Leftwich scrambled on the opposite side from where Suggs lined up

[quote name='The Raven' timestamp='1353301368' post='1225410']
Dude, what? Keep contain? He was rushing from the opposite side... Leftwich scrambled on the opposite side from where Suggs lined up
[/quote]

No, my post was actually 100% on point I just rewatched it on NFL.com

Sizzle is rushing from the same side Leftwich scrambles to, Sizzle stunts inside instead of keeping contain thus opening up that lane down the sideline,

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012111811/2012/REG11/ravens@steelers#menu=highlights&tab=recap

[quote name='757RavensFan' timestamp='1353303327' post='1225542']
It was set up by the long PI call on....wait for it!

Cary Williams!!
[/quote]

To be fair, Cary Williams actually did the right thing, there (even as "odd" as that sounds). Would you rather have him make-up for Mike Wallace beating him off the line and "cheat" to brake-up the throw, OR would you want Williams to just let Wallace catch the football and take it to the house?

That said, Cary Williams [i]has [/i]gotten better since the bye-week...

[quote name='BloodRaven' timestamp='1353294256' post='1223664']
I'm pointing the blame right at Suggs, Ellerbe and Kemoeatu. All three had the opportunity to hustle and make the tackle, but they all pull up expecting Corey Graham and Pollard to cleanup on the sideline, only Graham gets blocked and Pollard misses.

Where was the hustle? we just made the most immobile QB look like Cam Newton, he even lost his balance while running and fell over in the goalline. Embarrassing.
[/quote]

I couldnt believe Suggs was behind him and pretty much gave up on pursuit when he saw Pollard coming up to lay the wood. Im sure any player would have done the same but if Sizzle stayed with it, we would have won 13-3

that run was frustrating, but the end where leftwich got hurt turned out to be huge for us. all about the end result

I don't mind the Pollard miss it happens and you can't make every single tackle. What I didn't like was the complacency, Ray and the Ravens of old would have swarmed at him relentlessly and he wouldn't have stumbled his way into the endzone.

Well, we still won so theres that :D.

Thankfully, that was the BIGGEST play they gave up to Leftwich. I'd chalk it up as a novelty fluke. Leftwich hasn't seen the light of the NFL day in forever, so they didn't know what to expect.

It seemed like everyone expected him to just jog out of bounds when he got to the sideline and gave up on it rather than finishing the play. No one wants to get called for unnecessary roughness down there.

Suggs is not up to full speed, as is to be expected since he should not be playing until next year with his injury, and there is no real film on Lefty since he played for the Bucs. What is important is it didn't happen again

[quote name='sflegend89' timestamp='1353303310' post='1225540']
No, my post was actually 100% on point I just rewatched it on NFL.com

Sizzle is rushing from the same side Leftwich scrambles to, Sizzle stunts inside instead of keeping contain thus opening up that lane down the sideline,

[url="http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012111811/2012/REG11/ravens@steelers#menu=highlights&tab=recap"]http://www.nfl.com/g...ights&tab=recap[/url]
[/quote]

My mistake. Still, that looked like a designed stunt, where Suggs stunts in and the DT loops out.

[quote name='TreTheRaven' timestamp='1353350151' post='1226172']
Did anyone else think that Pittsburgh celebrated like they won the game after scoring that touchdown? Or is it just me?
[/quote]
I agree, or at least did at the time. Big Ben's facial expression was pretty fun, running around with that gleeful smile plastered on his face with one arm waving, raised in the air while the other immobilized by his sling. I was amused.

Regardless, can you blame them? He made a great play. People didn't have big expectations for Lefty, either. Furthermore, people said he's a statue and he makes a play running. I think he made a good play and our defense just lost its mind.

[quote name='The King' timestamp='1353312022' post='1225724']
It seemed like everyone expected him to just jog out of bounds when he got to the sideline and gave up on it rather than finishing the play. No one wants to get called for unnecessary roughness down there.
[/quote]
If I remember correctly Pollard was there, but he over-pursued, got partially blocked, and tried to correct his angle at the last millisecond. So he was trying to get there he just blew it.

It was flukey Leftwich even tried to run it, and even flukier he got hurt all by himself.

Did anyone else think that Pittsburgh celebrated like they won the game after scoring that touchdown? Or is it just me?
[/quote]
Yes. And I hung my head like we just lost it. :(

Watching the play from the replay angle, I'd say it definitely falls on Bernard Pollard. He had his eyes on Byron Leftwich throughout the entirety of the play, didn't have to backpedal because there were no potential receivers near his area, and began his pursuit the moment that Leftwich was flushed out of the pocket. He wasn't touched by a single defender on the play and simply whiffed on the attempt, badly. To his credit, he did make up for it several times later in the game, but I don't see how he isn't responsible for the score.

[/quote]

They did, but I think it was more out of shock. When you see the reigning DPoY closing in on a typically immobile QB, you expect things to swing the other way. I wouldn't hold it against them.

[quote name='BloodRaven' timestamp='1353294256' post='1223664']

[/quote]

That wasnt the only play that looked like the Defense and the Players gave up on. It looked like on a lot plays that Players gave up on plays thinking the other man had made a tackle.