259 replies to this topic

#1 Gashman

Gashman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

Marshall Faulk says(paraphrased) Because the Ravens rarely use the middle of the field in passing plays, our TE's are anemic, 40 catches ytd, therefore linebackers aren't worried about us in the middle of field, and can pin their ears back and focus on Ray Rice. This forces Joe to look deep more often.

#2 Gashman

Gashman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

Funny thing, Cam has barely used the middle of the field in the passing game for 5 years since he's been here. Sometimes I wonder how many passing plays he actually has in his play book utilizing the middle of the field.

#3 cursona pirate

cursona pirate

Pickle Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,896 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

Funny thing, Cam has barely used the middle of the field in the passing game for 5 years since he's been here. Sometimes I wonder how many passing plays he actually has in his play book utilizing the middle of the field.

Two. For each TE.

12540_520124434672144_755007992_n.jpg

Pitta Hut is now open! WE ALWAYS DELIVER.

#4 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,031 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

He also said Pitta isn't getting it done...

#5 Gashman

Gashman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

I remember earlier in the season they were praising Torre for being able to do more than just run deep, I thought I saw him catching a quick slant for a big gain, but it's been awhile.

#6 RavensAllTheWay

RavensAllTheWay

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

I'm surprised to hear him say Pitta isn't getting it done. He's been solid imo, at least as a receiver.

#7 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,263 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

Marshall Faulk says(paraphrased) Because the Ravens rarely use the middle of the field in passing plays, our TE's are anemic, 40 catches ytd, therefore linebackers aren't worried about us in the middle of field, and can pin their ears back and focus on Ray Rice. This forces Joe to look deep more often.

I agree with that.

He also said Pitta isn't getting it done...

But not this.

bJNF689.jpg

#8 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,751 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

Brian Baldigner, Ross Tucker, Greg Cosell, and now Faulk. It's funny how at least one national analyst has criticized Cam going back to last year.

Cam definitely deserves some credit for the strides the offense has made this year but I'll always believe he's at the heart of the inconsistency. From underutilizing Torrey, predictable calls and schemes and other issues, he makes things easier for opposing defenses.
"...when Sean Taylor is in the neighborhood, you will feel him." - Al Michaels

Posted Image

ER20 takes off and then gets distracted by a debate going on...

#9 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

Normally I would agree, but every time we throw over the middle to TEs I see them getting rocked helmet-to-helmet and I hate it. I'm not against the middle of the field or anything, it just feels like we have bad luck with that.

#10 Gashman

Gashman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

I see a lot of teams calling quick slants on 3rd downs when lb's vacate the middle to blitz, but not us.

#11 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,902 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

It comes back to Cam not using PA enough. PA should draw in the linebackers and create a void over the middle. It worked extremely well against Oakland so maybe we will see some more.

@gabefergy

#12 Gashman

Gashman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

Normally I would agree, but every time we throw over the middle to TEs I see them getting rocked helmet-to-helmet and I hate it. I'm not against the middle of the field or anything, it just feels like we have bad luck with that.

I saw that more with Boller/Heap. These days, rules are more receiver friendly, less head hunting.

#13 Grapple Raven

Grapple Raven

MVP

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

I knew I liked Faulk for some reason, lol!

Go Ravens!!! :229031_cheer:

23jjplx.jpg

#14 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,263 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

It comes back to Cam not using PA enough. PA should draw in the linebackers and create a void over the middle. It worked extremely well against Oakland so maybe we will see some more.

We didn't really work the middle of the field against Oakland. Joe averaged 10 yards per play.

bJNF689.jpg

#15 cursona pirate

cursona pirate

Pickle Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,896 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

Cam must have been really hurt afterwards.

Edited by cursona pirate, 18 November 2012 - 12:43 PM.

12540_520124434672144_755007992_n.jpg

Pitta Hut is now open! WE ALWAYS DELIVER.

#16 Gashman

Gashman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

We didn't really work the middle of the field against Oakland. Joe averaged 10 yards per play.

Oakland gave us the deep ball by stacking the box, so Cam took it. If LeBeau gives us the middle of the field, will Cam take it?

#17 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,263 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

Holmgren is supposedly interested in coaching Dallas. Jason Garrett would be a great OC for us, imho.

bJNF689.jpg

#18 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,150 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

he still through balls into the middle more. Examples dicksons bomb although almost thirty yards was still working the middle of the field.

#19 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

I was over Pitta quickly. He's basically a good third down receiver, and he has a big part in the offense, but he's not a 3 down TE and that's what we need.

We really need more from Dickson.

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#20 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,263 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

he still through balls into the middle more. Examples dicksons bomb although almost thirty yards was still working the middle of the field.

I think the problem is, that we don't throw quick short passes in the middle. The only way we gain this kind of yardage is by rushing. When defenses take Rice away, we usually go for the long pass rather than trying to run quick slants.
That's where the myth, that Flacco "is holding on to the ball to long" comes from. I am sick and tired of Air Coryell.

bJNF689.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users