Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gashman

Marshall Faulk slams Cam on NFL Network

261 posts in this topic

Marshall Faulk says(paraphrased) Because the Ravens rarely use the middle of the field in passing plays, our TE's are anemic, 40 catches ytd, therefore linebackers aren't worried about us in the middle of field, and can pin their ears back and focus on Ray Rice. This forces Joe to look deep more often.

Funny thing, Cam has barely used the middle of the field in the passing game for 5 years since he's been here. Sometimes I wonder how many passing plays he actually has in his play book utilizing the middle of the field.

[quote name='Gashman' timestamp='1353256034' post='1221345']
Funny thing, Cam has barely used the middle of the field in the passing game for 5 years since he's been here. Sometimes I wonder how many passing plays he actually has in his play book utilizing the middle of the field.
[/quote]
Two. For each TE.

I remember earlier in the season they were praising Torre for being able to do more than just run deep, I thought I saw him catching a quick slant for a big gain, but it's been awhile.

[quote name='Gashman' timestamp='1353255075' post='1221329']
Marshall Faulk says(paraphrased) Because the Ravens rarely use the middle of the field in passing plays, our TE's are anemic, 40 catches ytd, therefore linebackers aren't worried about us in the middle of field, and can pin their ears back and focus on Ray Rice. This forces Joe to look deep more often.
[/quote]

I agree with that.

[quote name='H8R' timestamp='1353256346' post='1221350']
He also said Pitta isn't getting it done...
[/quote]

But not this.

Brian Baldigner, Ross Tucker, Greg Cosell, and now Faulk. It's funny how at least one national analyst has criticized Cam going back to last year.

Cam definitely deserves some credit for the strides the offense has made this year but I'll always believe he's at the heart of the inconsistency. From underutilizing Torrey, predictable calls and schemes and other issues, he makes things easier for opposing defenses.

Normally I would agree, but every time we throw over the middle to TEs I see them getting rocked helmet-to-helmet and I hate it. I'm not against the middle of the field or anything, it just feels like we have bad luck with that.

I see a lot of teams calling quick slants on 3rd downs when lb's vacate the middle to blitz, but not us.

It comes back to Cam not using PA enough. PA should draw in the linebackers and create a void over the middle. It worked extremely well against Oakland so maybe we will see some more.

[quote name='hawkprey' timestamp='1353258160' post='1221369']
Normally I would agree, but every time we throw over the middle to TEs I see them getting rocked helmet-to-helmet and I hate it. I'm not against the middle of the field or anything, it just feels like we have bad luck with that.
[/quote]

I saw that more with Boller/Heap. These days, rules are more receiver friendly, less head hunting.

[quote name='gabefergy' timestamp='1353258596' post='1221374']
It comes back to Cam not using PA enough. PA should draw in the linebackers and create a void over the middle. It worked extremely well against Oakland so maybe we will see some more.
[/quote]

We didn't really work the middle of the field against Oakland. Joe averaged 10 yards per play.

[quote name='PolishRifle' timestamp='1353258806' post='1221378']

We didn't really work the middle of the field against Oakland. Joe averaged 10 yards per play.
[/quote]

Oakland gave us the deep ball by stacking the box, so Cam took it. If LeBeau gives us the middle of the field, will Cam take it?

[/quote]he still through balls into the middle more. Examples dicksons bomb although almost thirty yards was still working the middle of the field.

I was over Pitta quickly. He's basically a good third down receiver, and he has a big part in the offense, but he's not a 3 down TE and that's what we need.

We really need more from Dickson.

[quote name='arnie_uk' timestamp='1353259177' post='1221387']
he still through balls into the middle more. Examples dicksons bomb although almost thirty yards was still working the middle of the field.
[/quote]

I think the problem is, that we don't throw quick short passes in the middle. The only way we gain this kind of yardage is by rushing. When defenses take Rice away, we usually go for the long pass rather than trying to run quick slants.
That's where the myth, that Flacco "is holding on to the ball to long" comes from. I am sick and tired of Air Coryell.

[quote name='izvoodoo' timestamp='1353259287' post='1221389']
I was over Pitta quickly. He's basically a good third down receiver, and he has a big part in the offense, but he's not a 3 down TE and that's what we need.

[b]We really need more from Dickson.[/b]
[/quote]

Do we? A huge reason he's been relegated to more of a blocking role(which he isn't even good at) is because of his spotty hands.

[quote name='izvoodoo' timestamp='1353259287' post='1221389']

We really need more from Dickson.
[/quote]

Because of Dixons dropped passes problems, has that caused a lack of trust from Cam?

[quote name='PolishRifle' timestamp='1353259486' post='1221393']
I think the problem is, that we don't throw quick short passes in the middle. The only way we gain this kind of yardage is by rushing. When defenses take Rice away, we usually go for the long pass rather than trying to run quick slants.
That's where the myth, that Flacco "is holding on to the ball to long" comes from. I am sick and tired of Air Coryell.
[/quote]

And the funny thing about that is, I don't really think Flacco is holding onto the ball that much this year.

[quote name='Ed_Reed20' timestamp='1353259508' post='1221394']
Do we? A huge reason he's been relegated to more of a blocking role(which he isn't even good at) is because of his spotty hands.
[/quote]
His blocking been better, but Dickson can at least get up the seem and is a serviceable blocker. As opposed to Pitta, who is a liability in blocking and is only really good at sitting in zones. He's great at punishing zones, but that's it.

I remember Trent Dilfer talking about this awhile back. He said most of the elite Offenses in the league utilize a passing "route tree" where one of the routes is normally a slant or crossing route across the middle in most passing plays, but said we rarely have that option in our passing scheme.

Faulk has been trashing Cam forever now. He's on record saying that he doesn't trust our offense not because of the personnel, but because he doesn't trust Cam's playcalling.

[/quote]

Working the middle doesnt have to mean dinking and dunking. As Arnie pointed out, both completions to Dickson were over the middle. The point of PA is to suck in the linebackers and open up that space behind them.

[quote name='izvoodoo' timestamp='1353259881' post='1221403']
His blocking been better, but Dickson can at least get up the seem and is a serviceable blocker. As opposed to Pitta, who is a liability in blocking and is only really good at sitting in zones. He's great at punishing zones, but that's it.
[/quote]

Pitta has shown the ability to separate in man coverage as well. Dickson just doesnt have the hands to be a consistent option in the passing offense. His role will continue to be primarily as a blocking TE until he proves otherwise.

I've said many times that the Ravens need to watch old tapes of the Rams and how Faulk. Was used, because Rice is the same type of player. So i would definitely respect an option on how the offense is being run by Faulk.

I know i'm late to the party, but i've been souring on Cam this year, because he just doesn't seem to know how to use the personnel. I used to say, give Cam the weapons and watch him work, well he has the weapons, but i dont see much improvement, or I should say the type of improvement i expect.

I'll continue to give players their fair share of blame, but I now feel like the Ravens have to follow suit with the Falcons and Steelers, and look to take this offense to the next level.

No reason why all the talent that's on this offense is either not being used or is being mis-used.

[/quote]

Pitta had a TD in the middle, Dickson would have had another if he didn't stumble..