Ravens Schedule Coming Today!

The Ravens will announce their 2014 regular season schedule today at 8:00 pm ET. More Info ยป
Close

Photo

Maryland and Rutgers: Big 10?!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 flaccopoe

flaccopoe

Mintberry Crunch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,320 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

The University of Maryland is planning to join the Big Ten Conference. Rutgers would likely follow, increasing the Big Ten to 14 members. Such a move would greatly increase viewership and thus revenue for the richest collegiate conference. However, Maryland would have to pay $50 million to leave the ACC. Rutgers would only have to pay $10 million to leave the Big East.

http://espn.go.com/c...nce-sources-say

Honestly, I am surprised that you (Poe) got second. After the draft I thought your team was doomed for failure.

You get used to it. Even posts that don't violate the rules aren't safe.

Ray Guy to the NFL Hall of Fame

#2 ravens__

ravens__

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

I hope it stays as just a rumor. It's gonna suck for the long tradition Maryland has in the ACC.

2010 BR.com "You Pick 'em" Champion

10fqgjp.jpg

#3 SideStep77

SideStep77

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:24 PM

I am a current UMD student and I do not like this! Big Ten is all football, we will get our butts beat. Plus we have so many rivalries that have been established since the creation of the ACC. I do not want to see that go away.
I created a petition to try to get it stopped if anyone disagrees and could share that would be great!
http://www.change.or...-the-big-ten-2#

And a facebook group!
http://www.facebook....98124330222110/

#KeepUMDACC
#82 #15 Maryland Pride. Go Terps. Go Ravens.
SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!!!

#4 ravens__

ravens__

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

Signed.

2010 BR.com "You Pick 'em" Champion

10fqgjp.jpg

#5 Cville-Raven

Cville-Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,799 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

Please god no

0cf3ccf6-b431-48bd-a2a0-73b6e0108bc3_zps

#6 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,375 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

Looks like its official now. Welcome to the Big 10. I don't understand why, considering the state of the athletic program. You guys will get beat down in football and probably basketball as well. While the Big 10 is certainly the more academically minded conference top to bottom, with Nebraska being the worst school in that respect, I don't really see the point of moving for that when you're already fine in that department. Really baffling move for a school that doesn't have the money to afford this.

#7 bpytnjr58

bpytnjr58

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

I am a current UMD student and I do not like this! Big Ten is all football, we will get our butts beat. Plus we have so many rivalries that have been established since the creation of the ACC. I do not want to see that go away.
I created a petition to try to get it stopped if anyone disagrees and could share that would be great!

And a facebook group!

#KeepUMDACC

Agreed....The Basketball program should be able to strongly compete but Football will be a disaster.

#8 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,086 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

Almost ashamed to be a UMD student... this is all about $ and it's clear the athletic department is mismanaged
Posted Image

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#9 codizzle

codizzle

Director of Admissions- BSHU

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,789 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:38 PM

All about the cash.. Dept so far in debt they had to make the move..

Don't like it at all
Just WIN Out!!!

6f3898d1-1b88-4209-a3a5-ed7fe2348d4b.jpg

+35

#10 flaccopoe

flaccopoe

Mintberry Crunch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,320 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:28 AM

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

Honestly, I am surprised that you (Poe) got second. After the draft I thought your team was doomed for failure.

#11 bMore Heathen

bMore Heathen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

Truly disappointing. The Terps go from an average ACC team, to immediate basement dwellers in the Big10. It's all about the money, which the university will get, but we will not win. It's going to kill football and LAX recruiting, and will probably hurt basketball as well. By the time we join, Penn State and Ohio State will already be done with their sanctions, so we will just be a doormat.
Congrats though. We never have to worry about losing any athletic programs. The flip side is we won't win any games either. So thanks, I will no longer be following MD athletics.

Edited by bMore Heathen, 20 November 2012 - 01:01 PM.

#12 Cville-Raven

Cville-Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,799 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

Ever since Eddsall showed up MD has been about selling out, Eddsall wants people in the stands well I'm sorry; this move will get you no one.

0cf3ccf6-b431-48bd-a2a0-73b6e0108bc3_zps

#13 George70

George70

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

When I hear that Maryland and Rutgers were joining the Big Ten, I couldn't believe it. I am originally from Michigan, so I can empathize with a few who believe the Big Ten has gotten too big, however I am willing to give this a decent chance - for both schools.

#14 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,969 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

For basketball, no problem.. We can compete with anyone.
For lacrosse? no problem with the beating the competition ... but they are weak schools.
For football? Pssshhh . We would have ha a decent year if the QB Picture didn't change from week to week. The defense has done a heck of a job...
However, we can't compete in that conference.

We do offer a unique opportunity for the Big10 though ... We have the 4th largest tv market in the country and there are plenty of Big10 alumni in the region.

#15 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,023 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

Kind of bummed about this from a basketball perspective. I will miss the Duke and UNC games. Otherwise, it makes sense if it brings in as much money as projected.

Hop on board the Draft Odell Beckham JR Bandwagon! Taking all comers! 

#16 ghost1986

ghost1986

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:24 PM

And a facebook group!

#KeepUMDACC

Wasn't this already happening? Looks like Miami's gonna have to get used to Duke being their only free game. I'm also at UMD, but I've gotten used to getting our butts handed to use ever since Edsal came to town.
"Don't stop huntin'! Don't stop huntin'! Until you have him up on your wall!"-Ray Lewis to Terrell Suggs on hunting 49ers QB Alex Smith

#17 flaccopoe

flaccopoe

Mintberry Crunch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,320 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

Kind of bummed about this from a basketball perspective. I will miss the Duke and UNC games. Otherwise, it makes sense if it brings in as much money as projected.

That's a big if, considering they paid $50 million for it, even as they cut athletic programs for budgetary reasons. Not to mention all the alumni they've angered and alienated.

#18 Moderator 2

Moderator 2

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,925 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

I think it sucks, my dad is an Alum of MD and I used to go to all the football games growing up.
Posted Image

#19 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,023 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

That's a big if, considering they paid $50 million for it, even as they cut athletic programs for budgetary reasons. Not to mention all the alumni they've angered and alienated.

I dont think there is any doubt the Big Ten Network will generate considerable revenue for the school.

Hop on board the Draft Odell Beckham JR Bandwagon! Taking all comers! 

#20 flaccopoe

flaccopoe

Mintberry Crunch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,320 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

I dont think there is any doubt the Big Ten Network will generate considerable revenue for the school.

The question is, how much more? They must recoup their $50 million investment before they can think about profits. Plus, getting blown out every football game will bring down viewership.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users