Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bishop

Take a Moment for Torrey

28 posts in this topic

I'll tell you this, If you look back at his catches, Not only is he as sure handed as Derrick mason, but when he can make a play on the ball he catches the ball traffic as good as anyone and wont let go as defenders try to rip it away. We may have missed on getting some guys on the defensive side of the ball that are ready immediately but Torrey was a steal in second round.

I remember being so pumped when we drafted him. I thought he would be the return guy though, since that was what he was known for at UMD. But he hasn't failed to impress!!! Torrey could defiantly prove to be a number 1 WR. The first true number 1 we have ever had!!!!
Not bad for a guy that came to MD as a QB!!!!

The fact that he was able to play on, I don't know, 4 hours of sleep [i]and[/i] after his brother just died really shows this man's true character.

There will never be enough torrey smith appreciation threads. This dude is not only a class act off the field, he has exceeded all expectations on the field. So glad bellicheck passed on him and let him fall in our laps in the second round

[quote name='indianstick' timestamp='1353180619' post='1220904']
There will never be enough torrey smith appreciation threads. This dude is not only a class act off the field, he has exceeded all expectations on the field. So glad bellicheck passed on him and let him fall in our laps in the second round
[/quote]
Imagine the Patriots fans upset about Bill selecting Ras-I-Dowling with their high 2nd round pick over Smith. If the Patriots got Smith I am sure they would have won the Super Bowl.

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1353180749' post='1220907']
Imagine the Patriots fans upset about Bill selecting Ras-I-Dowling with their high 2nd round pick over Smith. If the Patriots got Smith I am sure they would have won the Super Bowl.
[/quote]

lol, the "I" has to stand for injured. But i was referring more to the pick they got from the saints for letting them come back in the first to draft ingram. It was 2 picks before our second round pick and bill picked shane vereen.

He does it all; catches in traffic, make people miss, good lead blocker on runs, and goes up and gets the football. Best receiver this team has drafted by a long shot. Not mention his hands have made a complete 360 improvement. He's on his way to a 12 TD season, which is pretty damn good. The one thing I would like him to improve on is his consistency to show up in every game. A large part of this is do to Flacco, Cam, and the O-line.

[quote name='RavensAllTheWay' timestamp='1353181678' post='1220926']
Torrey may very well finish the year with 10 TDs. He's averaging a TD almost once every four catches. He's a beast.
[/quote]He could easily get 10 TDs if not more. He's already tied his rookie year totals.

couldnt agree more. really glad he has progressed and has really shown that he knows how to go to work. and even though people already said it, what he did against the patriots was just incredible. just like suggs said, this guy is becoming a true raven!

[quote name='RavensAllTheWay' timestamp='1353181678' post='1220926']
Torrey may very well finish the year with 10 TDs. He's averaging a TD almost once every four catches. He's a beast.
[/quote]
Those are awesome stats to have in your pocket. You know when you go to bars and weddings.

As a proud Terp and crazy Raven fan - so happy to have this guy!
Now if Joe would just stop over-throwing him, he could catch even more receptions.

He certainly is clutch - let's beat the Steelers!

Still remember the 'quake video of him, when he runs away haha. Love the man, best WR we've ever drafted. Glad we have him!

[quote name='Ravens<3' timestamp='1353187299' post='1220965']
Great player, great teammate &amp; a great guy.

&amp; he's not done getting better. :)
[/quote]

Can't wait until he learns how to use his body to block out a defender and how to run a "comeback" route. I wish he had Mason to learn from.

i can remember back in the day when most cats in here was saying that Torrey was horrible and couldn't catch and NOW...nothing but praises for the young man! my, have times changed! LOL! obviously Torrey was a great steal and i'm glad we have him!

~Mili

When I read the title, I thought something else happend. His hands have gotten better. Will be top 5 WR in two or three years, I tell you. Streeter and Torrey will complement each other well.

[quote name='mdrsharon' timestamp='1353191201' post='1221016']
As a proud Terp and crazy Raven fan - so happy to have this guy!
[b]Now if Joe would just stop over-throwing him, he could catch even more receptions.[/b]

He certainly is clutch - let's beat the Steelers!
[/quote]A lot of that is Torrey has trouble tracking and adjusting to the ball, but he's getting better at it.

LOL at Keenan lewis saying T. Smith is no Mike Wallace

Mike wallace couldn't make this catch if he had stick em.
[url="http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000089601/Torrey-Smith-26-yard-reception"]http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000089601/Torrey-Smith-26-yard-reception[/url]

[quote name='Bishop' timestamp='1353173387' post='1220841']
I'll tell you this, If you look back at his catches, Not only is he as sure handed as Derrick mason, but when he can make a play on the ball he catches the ball traffic as good as anyone and wont let go as defenders try to rip it away. We may have missed on getting some guys on the defensive side of the ball that are ready immediately but Torrey was a steal in second round.
[/quote]

He is no Mason but he gets in the EndZone a lot. Mason worked hard after the catch and knew how to find that sweet spot. Torrey is a very good receiver but he is not much on yardage after the catch because he is usually in the end zone after a 40 to 50 yard bomb. As receivers go i put Boldin, Jones and Pitta ahead of him for yardage after the catch.

[quote name='nextgen_RavensFan' timestamp='1353255177' post='1221330']

He is no Mason but he gets in the EndZone a lot. Mason worked hard after the catch and knew how to find that sweet spot. Torrey is a very good receiver but he is not much on yardage after the catch because he is usually in the end zone after a 40 to 50 yard bomb. As receivers go i put Boldin, Jones and Pitta ahead of him for yardage after the catch.
[/quote]
Pitta? Pitta? Not looking at the stats, are we talking about the same white TE who falls to the ground after every catch? Granted, he makes some good catches but I really don't know about him being ahead of Torrey in YAC. Not even sure about Jones since he's had limited snaps. Perhaps Boldin, but I don't think Smith has as little YAC as you said. Now I understand you say that because he's in the end zone, but I remember him catching the ball and running into the end zone. Perhaps my memory is bad, though. It wouldn't be the first.

Torrey's probably my favorite player on the team right now. I just love the way he quietely goes about his business. I have no doubt he's going to eventually develop into a complete WR.

[/quote]

I have no idea what the stats say, but based purely on physical ability, Torrey is easily the best most dangerous WR/TE after the catch on the team. He simply doesn't get enough opportunities to show his skills because of how he's utilized. Look at his TDs against the Pats in the play-offs last season and against Cleveland a few weeks ago. Q, Jones and Pitta aren't making those plays.

[quote name='Ed_Reed20' timestamp='1353258185' post='1221370']
Torrey's probably my favorite player on the team right now. I just love the way he quietely goes about his business. I have no doubt he's going to eventually develop into a complete WR.

I have no idea what the stats say, but based purely on physical ability, Torrey is easily the best most dangerous WR/TE after the catch on the team. He simply doesn't get enough opportunities to show his skills because of how he's utilized. Look at his TDs against the Pats in the play-offs last season and against Cleveland a few weeks ago. Q, Jones and Pitta aren't making those plays.
[/quote]Lol exactly, the guy can get like 20+ yards on a screen if it's decently blocked.

[/quote]Torrey is probably the best for YAC, however he is not utilized in those situations like Anquan is. He may not have the tackle breaking ability of Anquan, but he makes people miss and can run past anyone on the opposing defense.

I love torrey and the only complaint i have is more consitency. Yards wise he has only had two good games this year, thank god he makes touchdown plays, i think he finishes with 11 on the year

[quote name='Bishop' timestamp='1353173387' post='1220841']
[/quote]

I will agree with you on that. He all of the sudden has glue on his hands now, especially compared to last yr where he was only catching a 3rd of the balls.

Still think LQ Williams needs to get into the Line up. I havn't given up on him.

[quote name='Cville-Raven' timestamp='1353262815' post='1221432']
Torrey is probably the best for YAC, however he is not utilized in those situations like Anquan is. He may not have the tackle breaking ability of Anquan, but he makes people miss and can run past anyone on the opposing defense.
[/quote]

LOLOLOL , Heck , no one on this team is used to the best of their Abilities. When do we ever have Off. Plays that are thrown into the middle. Almost never. Its really dumbfounding too when you have seen T.Smith bust out good yardage when we do ( think CHARGERS,Last season). We were doing it in the preseason along with CB Blitzing with pretty dam good success too.

The one play that is always played is a quick throw out to the FB,RB or a quick Screen which i don't mind but the Defenses have been catching on more and more.

How bout use Rice on a Check down, he is more dangerous with that play than Trying to run it up the middle for neg. yardage or 1 and half.