35 replies to this topic

#1 CalvinSmoke

CalvinSmoke

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:12 PM

Coach Hard-Ball made an emphasis on special teams during this offseason and so far so good. A lot of us fans were anticipating a big year out of Anothony, they were indeed correct, but not on the offensive side of the ball.

I stumbled across a pretty cool article today, in which the Ravens gave a lot of our team's kick return success to Anthony Allen:

http://www.cbssports...-return-success

1Untitled_zps8afd95ac.pngbench_zps0a7ce32d.jpg

#2 cobrajet

cobrajet

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,958 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

Our Special Teams has been doing pretty well so far this year. I have no major complaints.

#3 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,704 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

He's essentially like a faster fullback running in front of Jacoby
a9skd1.jpg

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#4 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,697 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:48 PM

It's been interesting to see the evolution of the blocking scheme of the kick returns. I don't know if Rosburg finally figured out something or if Allen is the only one in the last couple years who can actually accomplish it, but essentially using 2 blocking backs was a good move. Leach takes the initial guys coming head on and Allen comes in behind to take the next one, usually leaving a good seam for Jones.

#5 Fred Sanford

Fred Sanford

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:56 PM

The offseason focus on guys like Considine, Corey Graham, Jacoby Jones, and then getting James Ihedigbo has paid off nicely. We've had some big returns, limited them in coverage, Koch and Tucker have been rock solid. Special teams isn't "sexy" but we made it a priority and it's been a big part of our success, with the sometimes struggling defense and inconsistent offense.

Anthony's been a big part of it not only in the "lead blocking" on returns, but has made some nice pops in coverage too.
Posted Image

#6 PeRK82

PeRK82

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,867 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

Coach Hard-Ball made an emphasis on special teams during this offseason and so far so good. A lot of us fans were anticipating a big year out of Anothony, they were indeed correct, but not on the offensive side of the ball.

I stumbled across a pretty cool article today, in which the Ravens gave a lot of our team's kick return success to Anthony Allen:

http://www.cbssports...-return-success

I was all about A.Allen until this past preseason. Man he stuck it up BAD, couldn't catch, run or block.

And all last season i saying that they need to give him the ball.

I will say this, B.Pierce turned out to be a great draft pick. When we drafted him, i wasn't really impressed but this guy won't go down where, if Rice were to get the ball on that same play he would be tackled behind the line of scrimmage or his Shoe lace would be touched and he would go down.

Im not trying to knock Rice but he is reminding me of Chris Johnson of last season. Yes Rice will get a break out run but more often than not we are lucky if he gets pass the 2 yd mark.

Now I would much rather have Rice in the spread or a check down. No one does it better but Running it, i think B.Pierce can do just as good.

Edited by PeRK82, 15 November 2012 - 08:11 PM.

#7 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,956 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

thanks for sharing the article.
I am a fan of A.A.
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#8 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

I'd say we have one of the top special teams (defensively) in the league without looking at stats. The punt coverage has been great. Rarely give up many yards. Kickoff has been pretty good as well. When Anthony Allen suffered in the preseason as a running back while Bernard Pierce shined I think he knew what he had to do. Special teams has been great and I'm glad we didn't fire Rosburg just because the players weren't playing well.

#9 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

I still think he has starter potential.

#10 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,072 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

I still think he has starter potential.

Rice and Pierce will be a lethal combination for years. Pierce I think can become something special on our team. Allen won't get a chance unless we bulk him up to a fullback. He also doesn't have the best hands. He dropped an easy screen pass in the last game that would've gone for a huge gain.

#11 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,211 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

Rice and Pierce will be a lethal combination for years. Pierce I think can become something special on our team. Allen won't get a chance unless we bulk him up to a fullback. He also doesn't have the best hands. He dropped an easy screen pass in the last game that would've gone for a huge gain.

I am so happy we drafted Pierce. I think he is Rice's successor. I love the way he runs. He doesn't come down easy. I can see him replacing Rice in 2-3 years. Also, I think Allen could make a good FB. He needs to add some weight, though.

I wonder how long Leach can keep going.

#12 display name

display name

Gotham's Reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,954 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:01 PM

He's a great special teamer. On offense though, he's been given plenty of chances to show what he's got, and blown them all.

I am so happy we drafted Pierce. I think he is Rice's successor. I love the way he runs. He doesn't come down easy. I can see him replacing Rice in 2-3 years. Also, I think Allen could make a good FB. He needs to add some weight, though.

Rice aint' goin nowhere, at least for 5 years.

Edited by display name, 15 November 2012 - 10:02 PM.

The Raven, on 03 Jan 2012-624 PM, said:

"You have reached your quota of negative votes for the day"

VIVA LA BUTT-FUMBLE!!!

Malkavian Raven, on 4 June 2014, said: "Display's off his meds again. Alert the white coats with the butterfly nets."

#13 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,837 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

Seriously, there's only so many times you can run into things with your head before it starts to suck. That has to hurt haha.

Proud Owner/GM/Coach of the Portland Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches

#14 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,211 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:08 PM

He's a great special teamer. On offense though, he's been given plenty of chances to show what he's got, and blown them all.

Rice aint' goin nowhere, at least for 5 years.

Never said he was. McGahee was replaced by Rice. Just because someone's replaced doesn't mean he's off the team, though I understand why you thought so.

Rice will play out his contract, relax. I just don't think he remains the starter for the whole contract.

#15 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,869 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:18 PM

It's not just on KO Returns. Ant does a really good job covering kicks as well. He's often in on st tackles and I'd be interested in knowing exactly how many he has.

This guy did not have a great training camp or PS, but I think him getting cut really opened his eyes. He's really working hard and it's paying off.

@Berad..I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Allen converted into a FB type in a couple of years. I don't think the up tempo no huddle style of offense is going anywhere. Especially with Harbs and Flacco both talking about getting it faster, I just think the Ravens will bring someone other then Cam to run the offense. I could see Allen being used as that FB/HB type guy kinda like we use Leach now. But as much of a traditional FB

mj5v69.jpg

#16 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,563 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:30 AM

The operative word here is "potential."

#17 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,100 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:43 AM

I have an idea

Bulk him up, and have Vonta mentor him.... This way, when Leach retires, we dont lose anything.

#18 52liveforever

52liveforever

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:46 AM

Never said he was. McGahee was replaced by Rice. Just because someone's replaced doesn't mean he's off the team, though I understand why you thought so.

Rice will play out his contract, relax. I just don't think he remains the starter for the whole contract.

people arent going to like that comment but i totally agree

#19 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,563 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:49 AM

I have an idea

Bulk him up, and have Vonta mentor him.... This way, when Leach retires, we dont lose anything.

Not a bad idea. He played in an option offense in college so blocking is not a new concept for him. If I recall correctly, his blocking was praised coming out of college.

Also, with the changes in the NFL it would help be cool to have a TB/FB hybrid type instead of a strictly traditional FB. Someone like Bruce Miller.

Edited by The Raven, 16 November 2012 - 12:50 AM.

#20 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:07 AM

Oh man, any back who dropped a pass this year must have bad hands.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users