Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Jimmy Smith Has Groin Surgery

102 posts in this topic

Cornerback Jimmy Smith is expected to return by the end of the season.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Jimmy-Smith-Has-Groin-Surgery/3e9f1cf7-67b2-44bf-96f8-09eccf6c8316]View the full article[/url]

He had an injury last year and came back with that great performance against the Pats in the AFC championship. Hopefully it happens like that again.

Man we need to make sure we have our corners are prepared for some of the top passers in the league. Jimmy Smith was our nickel. Webb injured, Smith started, Chykie Brown was nickel. Smith injured and now who knows what John Harbaugh will do i just hope they dont get picked on.

Best wishes Jimmy. You weren't drafted in the 1st round for no reason. Take this time to get it all together. Then, come back swinging. Go Ravens!!! :)

The injury bug is often a result of poor conditioning, which is hard to understand when Jimmy spent the entire summer in Owings Mills.

One or two injuries per season is to be expected in football, but Jimmy has been struggling since his days in Colorado and I think it's been affecting him sincfe day 1 in his NFL career

Ya, he's starting to have that "Kindle" feel to him.
I hope he heals and comes back stronger than ever. We need CB's!

Jimmy has shown glimpses of greatness. Last years post season he looked like he was turning a corner and then slumped this year. Not all great players become great over night. Even losing teams in the NLF have WR's that are better than what he saw in college.
I have complete faith in Jimmy to become a shutdown corner someday.

The good thing, arguably, is that our next three games are against teams that have difficulty throwing the football (Pittsburgh without Big Ben and San Diego). You could argue Washington falls into that class too, as they don't really have any true top receivers.

But make no mistake, playing teams like the Giants and Broncos without our top two corners is going to be tough sledding.

Of course, the frequency with which Jimmy was on the field coupled with his play this season and you could argue it doesn't really change much either.

If it ain't one thing its another man, smh. But the Ravens will get their year of victory I can feel it. Get better Jimmy, you're an emerging athlete !

(-___-)
Anyway, godspeed on the healing Jimmy.
Thankfully, none of our fans are GMs, so you wont get cut while you're away and have to go to PIT or CIN to make us pay for it.

I wonder if the haters stopped to consider the possibility that Jimmy's play this season has been affected by his groin injury for quite awhile? It's likely that he's been injured all along, tried to play through it, but it got so bad that it required surgery now.

[quote name='StrongSideRavens' timestamp='1353001910' post='1219752']
Man we need to make sure we have our corners are prepared for some of the top passers in the league. Jimmy Smith was our nickel. Webb injured, Smith started, Chykie Brown was nickel. Smith injured and now who knows what John Harbaugh will do i just hope they dont get picked on.
[/quote]
Graham and Cary start sunday while Johnson learns the Defense and probly rotates at nickel with Chykie.
After a couple weeks or so, Graham probly goes back to nickel and Johnson starts (because i think he's a better corner, contributed more at Oakland than Graham did at Chicago)

easy.

Well Now I Definitely don't wanna Hear anything from Squeeler Fans or anyone else about Injury's to the Squeelers When we beat them this week... Cuz We have more than our share to deal wit as well!!! Get well Jimmy..We gonna Whoop those Squeelers ... FEEL THE PAIN!!!

I think the defense did something to offend a Gypsy. This has not been their year. I hope everybody recovers.

hope we pull out the win so johnson buys himself another week to learn the defense before we play the chargers

Good Luck Jimmy .Here's hoping the injury bug goes away soon or IR will be bigger then the rooster the way this season is going.

Honestly.. I think It's time to bring up Asa Jackson and give the boy some reps!!! he has Speed and 1 on 1 coverage Ability.. get him his reps now and get him acclimated to the NFL way of Life. All our other Rookies we drafted have gotten at least a chance outside of Tommy Streeter.. give Asa Jackson a Chance Already!!!

[quote name='20ravens52' timestamp='1353004241' post='1219783']
Get well jimmy. Ignore all these haters, I know your gonna be a great player.
[/quote]

I love how people gave you negatives for this, it just shows you that they are haters. Anyway when he gets back, I am very confident that he will do good and will one day be a great CB. People expect Jimmy to be a star already just because he was a 1st round pick last year. It doesn't work out that way, especially for CB's. I can't name one CB in the league right not that is playing, or did play at a pro bowl level there second year in the NFL; let alone even start. But that is just thinking off the top of my head.

[quote name='BirdsofPrey' timestamp='1353009284' post='1219850']
One word....bust.
[/quote]

Wow, you don't know what you are talking about.

I'm not giving him negatives for an injury...I'm giving him negatives on all the blown plays, the missed tackles, no interceptions or tipped passes, etc, etc... He was our No. 1 draft pick last year, I expect more than getting stopped in his tracks by a double-hitch. Sorry if that's negative.

Wow, I knew something had to be wrong... had to be really hard trying to play through an injury he needed surgery for, especially in the groin area. It's really hard to do ANYTHING if you only have a minor injury in that area. Get well fast, Jimmy, and come back to be the great player we know you are!!

Some people seem to forget that he was compared to Patrick Peterson...actually, in some circles was thought to be better. Tell me how that worked out for us?

@BirdsofPrey wow dude why don't you play corner for the Ravens or better yet why don't you go be GM and draft a better player I think with you at the helm or as the Ravens star player there is no way the Ravens cant make it to the SB get real dude

@BirdsofPrey....Obviously he is seriously injured, that may have a detrimental effect on his playing ability!

[quote name='BirdsofPrey' timestamp='1353010009' post='1219863']
I'm not giving him negatives for an injury...I'm giving him negatives on all the blown plays, the missed tackles, no interceptions or tipped passes, etc, etc... He was our No. 1 draft pick last year, I expect more than getting stopped in his tracks by a double-hitch. Sorry if that's negative.
[/quote]

He doesn't get beat on a consistent basis, he is the third best tackler in our secondary behind Webb and Pollard, he doesn't have any interceptions because he doesn't get thrown to that much and he does have deflections, it doesn't matter that he was our #1 draft pick last year, this is only his second year, and getting beat by double moves is something a lot of CB's get beat on. How do you think WR's even get open, and I would rather him get beat on a double move than just get beat. Plus, he has already stated that he knows he has a problem with double moves, so he knows that he has a weakness that he has to work on. Also, we have had almost no pass rush, so our whole secondary has been getting exposed.

Yeah, I remember the first year and a half of watching Lardarius, too.... I thought what the heck is this guy doing on the field!! Now we are going to have to finish the season without him and it's HORRIBLE!! Give Jimmy a break.

steelraven
remember what you wrote yesterday?

"[i]I'm starting to think, does Jimmy Smith really want to play football[/i] "

Anyhing to say about it now?

bio

I just hope Reed takes it easy this sunday. He is playing through some pain and these steelers games are exactly when he gives 110%. With Webb and now Jimmy being out we cant afford for Ed to get sidelined.

BTW... Doesn't sound too promising when your #1 CB is Cary Williams... Let's hope the other guys step up and rise to the occasion, and Cary finds fis pass deflecting gloves to wear under his INT gloves he seems to have found.

bio

Even a mishap like this can have its upside: maybe it will lead Leftwich try more throws... And that would mean more opportunities for us - the way Leftwich throws...

bio

o man this probably explains why jimmy smith wasnt playing well the past few games.. at least when he gets back he'll be 100%

Now this explains allot . I like this kid in college and I had a feeling he was playing poorly cause he is injured. someone needs to step up . @Bio the thought of cary being our number one makes me nuts i see peyton and rivers blowing him up ,,,,,,,over and over again.

This is good. He should be 100 by the the playoffs and McPhee is coming back. With Ben out we should be able to handle both Steeler games. The key is health going into the post season. My only complaint would be he didn't do it sooner. This could also give Asa some playing time.

Wow I think the loss of Ray Lewis, Webb, and now Jimmy Smith along with hobbled versions of Ed Reed, Ngata and Suggs is a greater blow to the Ravens than the loss of Polamalu and Ben for the Steelers... but, having said that it won't matter because we are going to win regardless. Why? Because it is destined to be that way!