Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

757RavensFan

Jimmy Smith had successful groin surgery in Philly

34 posts in this topic

Jimmy is also starting to seem fairly injury prone. It's ok though, because Torrey is better than 50% of the first picks in the draft.

I watch Jimmy closely when he's on the field and the potential is definitely there. People talk about him being a bust because he's not a Pro Bowler yet or was only starting due to Webb's injury. Well the thing i tell people about Jimmy is, the guy basically just floated through college. He would had about 2-3 passes a game come his way, so he never really got to hone in on his skills like a Patrick Peterson type who played in the SEC and regardless of skill set you're gonna be tested.

So in watching Jimmy, I noticed he basically played like he was learning on the fly. I hope this injury doesn't hamper his progression because I thought he was getting better and better with technique. It would be interesting to know exactly how long he's had the injury, because that would example his slow reaction time to certain routes, and the seeming lack of confidence to jam guys at the line.

I personally think he fell into that same trap that Ngata did, as far as the weight thing. He lost weight this year in order to get faster, but it seemingly affected his physicality and that's his game. So I hope he gets back to that 205 weight range and can return healthy.

[quote name='TreTheRaven' timestamp='1353000043' post='1219719']
Glad to see it was successful, but may I ask as I feel out of the loop. What was wrong with his groin?

Welcome back, Jimmy!
[/quote]

He's been dealing with a nagging injury since the Cowboys game. He came out in the 2nd half. It seems like it is similar to the Greg Jennings situation.

Official report here: http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Jimmy-Smith-Has-Groin-Surgery/3e9f1cf7-67b2-44bf-96f8-09eccf6c8316

I was disappointed to hear about the injury requiring surgery because it means Jimmy Smith will miss a number of games just like last season thus further stunting his development as a CB. I really wanted to see how he would progress the rest of season after Webbs injury but now that's not even a possibility...

Hope Chykie Brown and Corey Graham step up

I wonder if we finally get to see Asa Jackson on game day. I really hope so because I think he has the talent to make an impact.

Was his groin hurt last season, too? I could have remembered wrong. I know he had an ankle, too. Either way, get healthy Jimmy! Hope our depth holds up

It looks like they clarified it and he actually had surgery for a Sports Hernia which will set his return date back even more I believe. Not Good, also I hope Asa Jackson is activiated and gets the chance to play some.

With a recovery time around 8 weeks, so not good.

I just read an article on CBSsports.com. Here is part of it "Statistically, Smith, the team's No. 27 overall draft pick in 2011, hasn't been overly impressive.[b] [url="https://www.profootballfocus.com/data/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2012&pos=CB&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1"]Pro Football Focus[/url] ranks him the 106th-best cornerback in the league this year (out of 106)[/b]."

Wow! We all knew he was playing bad but to be dead last. That's just sad.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/20995777/ravens-cb-jimmy-smith-undergoes-surgery-team-expects-his-return-this-year

[quote name='ravensfan160' timestamp='1353013399' post='1219908']
I just read an article on CBSsports.com. Here is part of it "Statistically, Smith, the team's No. 27 overall draft pick in 2011, hasn't been overly impressive.[b] [url="https://www.profootballfocus.com/data/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2012&pos=CB&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1"]Pro Football Focus[/url] ranks him the 106th-best cornerback in the league this year (out of 106)[/b]."

[url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/20995777/ravens-cb-jimmy-smith-undergoes-surgery-team-expects-his-return-this-year"]http://www.cbssports...eturn-this-year[/url]
[/quote]

CBS Sports is awful, and I find this pretty unlikely. Last I checked, Cary had a lower grade, and they just listed an article today saying Corey Graham was obviously a poor stand in.

A healthy Jimmy is a good corner back. The Ravens staff knows how to develop guys. He just has a very big learning curve to deal with. The NFL passing game is very complex so it's hard to make the jump from Colorado to top NFL wide recievers.

He will rise to the occasion, I believe in him. He doesn't need to be the next Revis, I'm happy if he can play at the level Josh Wilson did when he was here.

I'm not.This dude was a first round pick or second?
[quote name='CalvinSmoke' timestamp='1353017034' post='1219947']
A healthy Jimmy is a good corner back. The Ravens staff knows how to develop guys. He just has a very big learning curve to deal with. The NFL passing game is very complex so it's hard to make the jump from Colorado to top NFL wide recievers.

He will rise to the occasion, I believe in him. He doesn't need to be the next Revis, I'm happy if he can play at the level Josh Wilson did when he was here.
[/quote]

I'm not!. Dude was a first or high second round pick!

[quote name='jimmypowder' timestamp='1353017226' post='1219949']
I'm not.This dude was a first round pick or second?

I'm not!. Dude was a first or high second round pick!
[/quote] If he was a top 15 pick i would feel you on that. But he was the 27th pick in the 1st round so i guess we have different expectations for players. But what we both can probably agree on, is that there wasn't a better Corner Back available to us in the draft that year:
Ras-I-Dawling (Patriots)
Aaron Williams (Bills)
Marcus Gilchrist (Chargers)
Brandon Harris (Texans)
Chris Culliver (49'ers)
Demarcus Van Dyke (Raiders)

get what I'm saying?

[quote name='CalvinSmoke' timestamp='1353019040' post='1219964']
If he was a top 15 pick i would feel you on that. But he was the 27th pick in the 1st round so i guess we have different expectations for players. But what we both can probably agree on, is that there wasn't a better Corner Back available to us in the draft that year:
Ras-I-Dawling (Patriots)
Aaron Williams (Bills)
Marcus Gilchrist (Chargers)
Brandon Harris (Texans)
Chris Culliver (49'ers)
Demarcus Van Dyke (Raiders)

get what I'm saying?
[/quote]
Dawling has sucked
Williams IDK
Gilchrist: Has been bad
Harris hasnt had much playing time
Van Dyke was cut and is now on another team... Jimmy>Those guys....

If Webb can come back from an ACL injury to be one of the best cornerbacks in the NFL (the first time) I think Jimmy Smith can come back from groin surgery. It is a little bit more serious as the injury stems from his abs so it's not technically a groin injury but classified as one.

I think this is great. Smith needs work on the mental game. Perhaps this is just what he needed-- a physical break to get mental reps. Webb studied if I am correct--watched film when he had his ACL repaired. Perhaps Smith does the same.

I still believe in Jimmy.

[quote name='Ravenseconbeast' timestamp='1353041684' post='1220120']
Is this the last injury for him?

He just got the starter position, and now this. I dont understand.
[/quote]

What's there to understand? He got the starter position, and now he's hurt.

[quote name='The Raven' timestamp='1353044395' post='1220136']
What's there to understand? He got the starter position, and now he's hurt.
[/quote]
Crap happens, seriosuly..... He was playing well too.

[quote name='ravensfan160' timestamp='1353013399' post='1219908']

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/20995777/ravens-cb-jimmy-smith-undergoes-surgery-team-expects-his-return-this-year
[/quote]pff has him ranked 40th out of 106 in coverage. 22 completions on 33 attempts, for 277 yards, 0 tds and ints, 92.7 opposing QB rating.

No overall he is dead last, 107 out of 107. Mainly due to six penalties and 8 missed tackles.

[quote name='gabefergy' timestamp='1353005329' post='1219802']
I wonder if we finally get to see Asa Jackson on game day. I really hope so because I think he has the talent to make an impact.
[/quote]

Agreed. Although, the Chris Johnson signing makes me think he could continue to be in street clothes on game day.