Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ratedr

The Ravens are pretenders, not contenders...

40 posts in this topic

...according to this guy: http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8630684/nfl-five-reasons-why-baltimore-ravens-pretenders-not-contenders

Anyone with ESPN Insider care to give a summary? A bit ridiculous to single out the Ravens, considering every team is pretty flawed to some degree.

I rarely ever take anything ESPN says about the Ravens seriously they never give the respect we deserve and always dog us about something

I know one of the points is a "soft schedule," which is pretty ridiculous considering basically every team with a winning record has had a soft schedule minus maybe Denver.

[quote name='ratedr' timestamp='1352940156' post='1219354']
I know one of the points is a "soft schedule," which is pretty ridiculous considering basically every team with a winning record has had a soft schedule minus maybe Denver.
[/quote]
And New York.... and SD in November is pretty good.

[quote name='Moderator 3' timestamp='1352940447' post='1219360']
THe timing of this couldn't be better. I just we'll just have to prove that wrong over the next three weeks.
[/quote]
Actually, that could just fuel the troll. We have a hard schedule..... I mean This three game slide..... My friend out here was complaining that our schedule is too easy. He says that SF has it hard..... Well, he is also a Raider fan and is pissed at Harbaugh and is still convinced Flacco sucks..

ESPN is just very pro Pittsburgh. If we weren't in there division, messing up their chances at winning the AFC North they wouldn't even critique our Raven Nation like they do. ESPN does like Torrey smith though. I've seen 3 positive articles on him already since Monday.

[quote name='CalvinSmoke' timestamp='1352941725' post='1219373']
ESPN is just very pro Pittsburgh. If we weren't in there division, messing up their chances at winning the AFC North they wouldn't even critique our Raven Nation like they do. ESPN does like Torrey smith though. I've seen 3 positive articles on him already since Monday.
[/quote]

I was just about to post the article about Torrey Smith today. Excellent read.

And I do very much so agree with you about Pittsburgh. If the Steelers weren't in the same division, you probably wouldn't hear about the Ravens at all. How dare another team bump heads with a team they favor every year!

And much like someone else said earlier in the thread, it's not you OP I am downgrading, it's the article.

And since when should we care what ESPN thinks? They said Ray was too old, that Ed was too old. They said we hired the wrong guy in Harbs over Garrett or Rex. They said we'd never win the division with Roethlisberger playing. They said this year Andy Dalton would outduel Flacco and it might be the Steelers and Bengals, with the Ravens as the third team in the division. They said after the Houston game last year that there was no way we'd even be able to hang with the Patriots.

Pretending to be a bad defense, that's about it. I look for the REAL Ravens D to show up for the rest of the season!

KC Joyner is probably the worst writer at ESPN, and that's saying something. He makes up random statistical metrics and thinks he knows everything about football.

Previous entries by this joke of a writer: Miles Austin is the best WR in the NFL (I think that was 2 years ago) and then this year, he had a fantasy article claiming Chris Johnson would be the #1 RB in football. He is a complete joke.

I clicked on the article but all I read was
bla, bla, bla, bla.
and some stuff that sounded like the adults on Charlie Brown cartoons.

The only fair point that is brought up is that our run game has struggled recently. The blocking hasnt been as good, and Rice hasnt been as good either. I cant really argue that considering I have seen some issues as well.

[quote name='gabefergy' timestamp='1352946581' post='1219426']
The only fair point that is brought up is that our run game has struggled recently. The blocking hasnt been as good, and Rice hasnt been as good either. I cant really argue that considering I have seen some issues as well.
[/quote]
Im strictly blaming that on Bobbie Williams playing. We took out the young run blocking Harewood and went for a veteran who was better in pass protection. It's no secret that Oher is a good run blocker, but when there's a hole beside him it makes it difficult to run to the left, especially when Birk is in the middle.

[quote name='Ravens Lover' timestamp='1352940088' post='1219352']
I rarely ever take anything ESPN says about the Ravens seriously they never give the respect we deserve and always dog us about something
[/quote]
"If they don't give us the respect that we deserve, we gonna take it by force."-T. Sizzle

[quote name='ratedr' timestamp='1352939763' post='1219344']
...according to this guy: [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8630684/nfl-five-reasons-why-baltimore-ravens-pretenders-not-contenders"]http://insider.espn....-not-contenders[/url]

Anyone with ESPN Insider care to give a summary? A bit ridiculous to single out the Ravens, considering every team is pretty flawed to some degree.
[/quote]

Theres no need to neg this, he's sharing something he's found, not stating a blasphemous opinion. +1 to get you back to square 1!

Last time I checked though, we're pretenders all year long, every game, every minute, yet we keep winning every year, and make the play offs every year...ESPN has got some Purple Haterade in the fridge thats all.

It all makes sense why we are 7-2 if you just accept the fact that Flacco is one of the best QBs in the league. Anyone who can't comprehend that is struggling to make sense of our season.

By the way, in 2009, the Saints were the luckiest team in the league.

Talk is cheap...

Who cares what the guys think...

Everyone knows the Ravens is a serious team because look at what happened to the Raiders when they thought they can trash talk in our house.

It's the NFL, every team has a chance to win, it's just that the Ravens are seasoned vets at winning and going to the postseason every year.

As soon as I saw it was KC Joyner I just X'd out.

It amazes me how people like him can keep their job.

I remember not to long ago we had a team that had a not so perfect image but went to and won the Super Bowl. Lik eyou said, no team is perfect and a team that realizes their weaknesses has a much better chance then a team going for perfection. That just adds a lot of unwanted stress to the players. To say we are pretenders make no sense to me. I do not remember the Ravens ever labeling themselves anything but i have heard them say they need to get better. The only ones labeling us is the Media.

I just wish that the media had to support all of their silly and sometimes stupid remarks. I guess being in the media gives them the right to make up stories as they go along and it does not matter if it has any merit or truth in it at all.

Who is ESPN? And what is he always complaining about?

Seriously, though, this is why I have done myself a favor and just simply ignore [i]these[/i] articles (or anything from "the media"): Unless you're the Patriots, Giants, Steelers, Chargers (being the team closest to the Los Angeles market), or Bears, the media always looks at your team as being the "underdog". Normally, the Eagles, Cowboys, and even the Jets would be apart of this list, but... well, they haven't done anything, this year, to be included (but, that doesn't stop the media from talking about them).

It's pretty sad when the Ravens, Texans, 49ers and Falcons, who are among the best teams in the league, this season, get knocked on for having "flaws", but, yet, a team like New England is talked about being "flawless" just because "they still have Brady and Belichick"...

[quote name='CalvinSmoke' timestamp='1352941725' post='1219373']
[/quote]The NFL Newtwork puts ESPN to shame as far as being "pro-Steelers" is concerned. That NFL AM show is enough to make you gag.

[quote name='black blood purple passion' timestamp='1352949342' post='1219460']
[b]Theres no need to neg this, he's sharing something he's found, not stating a blasphemous opinion. +1 to get you back to square 1![/b]

Last time I checked though, we're pretenders all year long, every game, every minute, yet we keep winning every year, and make the play offs every year...ESPN has got some Purple Haterade in the fridge thats all.
[/quote]

You obviously don't know ratedr well enough. He's sharing this to be negative and to stir the pot. That's his MO.

This years team is not up to par with last years. This team is more like 2009 than 2008 or 2011.

That said. The rest of the AFC is WEAK. We can definitely beat the Texans, despite the shellacking they gave us.

I wouldn't go as far to say we are pretenders...because get real - we're 7-2.

Anybody that calls a AFC team a serious contender is just asking for egg to be all over their face at the end of the year anyway. Who in the AFC is head and shoulders above the rest? I mean the freaking Colts are playoff bound as of right now.

Despite all the talk, praise, and worship, the Pats still can't stop anyone, and had it not been for a terrible pass by Fitzpatrick, they would have lost, at home, coming off a bye week. They would be 5-4 right now, in a heated division race with the 4-5 Bills and 3-6 Jets who took them to overtime. Does that sound like a contender? Before the season somebody at ESPN wrote that the Pats would go undefeated again, because they have a incredibly easy schedule. They are barely 500 right now. good call

Is it the Broncos who's the team to beat? Everyone is so pumped up over Peyton finally looking like his old self again. That's great and all, but the entire team wins games. Well they have played 4 teams with winning records and lost to 3 of them. Pit, ATL, NE, and HOU, they are 1-3 against those teams and 5-0 against teams with losing records. Yes they sure sound like contenders to me.

Is it the Texans? Sorry but I just don't buy those guys right now. I'll give them credit for having the best record and being the team by default, but they have their flaws just like any other team. They are definitely contenders, but is anyone really ready to say they are AFC Champions right now?

Steelers, Chargers, and Colts aren't even the team to beat in their own divisions right now, let alone conference. So the real contenders will show themselves come playoff time.