Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nextgen_RavensFan

With next years cap looking awful

53 posts in this topic

Will we be able to keep Jacoby Jones and Boldin ? I like it when they get the ball in Jacoby Jones hands or in a punt return situation. Between the 2 i cannot decide which i would like to keep.

There have been a lot of games where Boldin has carried us through but Jones is explosive and has age on his side. Which would you prefer to keep ?

Boldin is most likely gone. He's struggling to get separation this year, and with his age and a similar receiver in Doss, there's no reason for him to stay.

We're not in cap hell. We will be if we have to franchise joe at 17 odd mil. But if we can get him to a deal between 12 and 15 we will have plenty. Don't forget ray and ed cold be off, that's over 10. Birk Williams McKinnie all could be gone. That's another 5 after cap hits give or take.

Look at it logically: Boldin and Ray are probably gone. Being honest, Ed is gone or resigned for a MUCH lower number - he's not getting that payday playing like this. Matt Birk walks for sure.

Cap next year should be interesting, but I think it'll be fine. Joe will be signed for a lot of money, but losing those guys will free it all up.

[quote name='arnie_uk' timestamp='1352935233' post='1219284']
We're not in cap hell. We will be if we have to franchise joe at 17 odd mil. But if we can get him to a deal between 12 and 15 we will have plenty. Don't forget ray and ed cold be off, that's over 10. Birk Williams McKinnie all could be gone. That's another 5 after cap hits give or take.
[/quote]

I was hoping we would not have to franchise Joe Cool but that would give us some room. I kind of thought Boldin would go but he still seems to grab everything in his direction and man can he work the sidelines. I hat eto think of Ray as gone and would be weird not seeing him on the field.

I wonder who will slide into Ed's spot ? I love the guy but hate to see when he bites on a throw and misses, it usually is a 6 point miss. I would like to see him get a Ring before he retired. Would top off a great career.

[quote name='arnie_uk' timestamp='1352935233' post='1219284']
[/quote]
I agree with McKinnie and Williams being gone. I'll be shocked if we don't roll with Reid/Gradkowski/Harewood at LG next year permanently. Reid can serve as the backup RT. With Birk it depends how well Gradkowski comes along in TC. I'll be surprised if Birk is gone though.

I won't be surprised if the team elects to move on from Boldin and on with Jones, his return skills are far and away better than anyone we have had since BJ Sams I believe it was, and he is a legitimate vertical threat. Doss will be the zone buster over the middle guy.

[quote name='Bltravens' timestamp='1352935741' post='1219291']
I agree with McKinnie and Williams being gone. I'll be shocked if we don't roll with Reid/Gradkowski/Harewood at LG next year permanently. Reid can serve as the backup RT. With Birk it depends how well Gradkowski comes along in TC. I'll be surprised if Birk is gone though.

I won't be surprised if the team elects to move on from Jones, his return skills are far and away better than anyone we have had since BJ Sams I believe it was, and he is a legitimate vertical threat. Doss will be the zone buster over the middle guy.
[/quote]

That is sad, Jones has a ton of energy and makes plays. Not afraid to go across the middle, can work the sideline and is a very good return guy. Not sure if we can replace that. I feel the same about Birk, If gradkowski does get some snaps in and shows some talent i think you are right he will step in. In the last few years we lost some great players and have recovered and i guess next year will be the same way.

[quote name='nextgen_RavensFan' timestamp='1352934368' post='1219268']
Will we be able to keep Jacoby Jones and Boldin ? I like it when they get the ball in Jacoby Jones hands or in a punt return situation. Between the 2 i cannot decide which i would like to keep.

There have been a lot of games where Boldin has carried us through but Jones is explosive and has age on his side. Which would you prefer to keep ?
[/quote]

Both will remain Ravens next year.

I think Boldin is the more likely one to be cut or at least restructured. Jones is younger and brings more to the table and at a lower price tag. I'd like to say we can retain both but I am not sure if the cap will allow it.

[quote name='izvoodoo' timestamp='1352936331' post='1219301']
There's no way Anquin is on the team. Even though he's one of my favorite receivers ever.
[/quote]

Q is money at crunch time. I think he stays.

[quote name='awholelottahaloti' timestamp='1352936528' post='1219305']
Q is money at crunch time. I think he stays.
[/quote]
Agreed. I like what I've seen from Doss, but I need to see him stand in for Boldin for a whole game before I'm ready to say Boldin needs to go, and I don't see Harbs pulling Boldin.

Jones won't be back at that cap number. I could see hi getting a new deal with more years and lower cap hit. Boldin would have to take less to be here, can't add to many years to him, so his would be a flat out pay cut

jones current contract isnt even very large. and he has lived up to all expectations so far. I would be stunned if he is released...unless he has a lee evans-like postseason

I could see Boldin, Jones, McKinnie, or Williams being traded for draft picks.

Also, I think that Ray will be back, but Ed will retire. Flacco will be resigned, not franchised. And Birk may or may not retire, but if he does not retire, he will be a Raven.

I don't think our cap will be hit as badly as it was this year. Mckinnie will most likely have played his last year here. And it will be a very good break-up. Honestly the Ravens have taken DARN good care of him. It's obvious that we truely care about the guy or he would have been traded, we are also getting him out of his personal debt.

Bobbie Williams is gone, we might give him the Andre Gurode treatment. Kemoeatu could be gone Ihedigbo, Considine, Corey Grahm, mabye even the cornerback Johnson that we just signed. Ray lewis may be walking and Matt Birk as well.

I'm no expert but i also believe that Joe Flacco is the only big signing that we have left. I think we will be in good shape.

I can't believe a lot of you expect Boldin to be gone. He's honestly my favorite receiver on the Ravens. Yeah, he has a bit of a hard time getting seperation, however he is very reliable. When the pressure is on, it seems he is the one that always steps up for the team to help them back. He reminds me of Mason in a lot of ways.

[quote name='TreTheRaven' timestamp='1352942892' post='1219386']
I can't believe a lot of you expect Boldin to be gone. He's honestly my favorite receiver on the Ravens. Yeah, he has a bit of a hard time getting seperation, however he is very reliable. When the pressure is on, it seems he is the one that always steps up for the team to help them back. He reminds me of Mason in a lot of ways.
[/quote]I wasn't a huge Boldin supporter as a Ravens Receiver, but he has been great this year, especially recently. He's been tearing it up when we need him. As soon as he starts getting more catches in SPACE and is allowed to do what he does I think everyone will hop back on his band wagon.

[quote name='TreTheRaven' timestamp='1352942892' post='1219386']
[/quote]

There's the issue though. We'd be paying a guy $6 million dollars to show up part of the time. He disappears too much at this point in his career to justify the salary he'd be receiving. When we have a very similar player in Doss for 1/10th of the cost, keeping Boldin doesn't make much sense.

I like Boldin, but he's just not performing up to his salary. He's too old and slow nowadays. It's a business.

[quote name='rmw10' timestamp='1352943559' post='1219395']
There's the issue though. We'd be paying a guy $6 million dollars to show up part of the time. He disappears too much at this point in his career to justify the salary he'd be receiving. When we have a very similar player in Doss for 1/10th of the cost, keeping Boldin doesn't make much sense.

I like Boldin, but he's just not performing up to his salary. He's too old and slow nowadays. It's a business.
[/quote]

I agree. He's the perfect trade bait to get another draft pick. And Doss can easily play the Boldin role of our offense. He's not quite as good as Boldin, but at this point in Boldin's career, I'd take a small downgrade and cap space over Boldin. And Doss won't be a downgrade for long.

[quote name='rmw10' timestamp='1352943559' post='1219395']

[/quote]
You know who I am cheering for
Streeter Streeter!

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1352945893' post='1219418']
You know who I am cheering for
Streeter Streeter!
[/quote]
IR IR

[quote name='nextgen_RavensFan' timestamp='1352935986' post='1219296']
That is sad, Jones has a ton of energy and makes plays. Not afraid to go across the middle, can work the sideline and is a very good return guy. Not sure if we can replace that. I feel the same about Birk, If gradkowski does get some snaps in and shows some talent i think you are right he will step in. In the last few years we lost some great players and have recovered and i guess next year will be the same way.
[/quote]
Wait, I totally butchered what I was trying to say haha. What I meant to say is that I wont be surprised if the team elects to move on from Boldin and move forward with Jones as the #2. Jones return skills are invaluable and Doss is the heir apparent to the zone busting WR who works the slot and over the middle.

My bad dude.

[quote name='arnie_uk' timestamp='1352937033' post='1219314']
Jones won't be back at that cap number. I could see hi getting a new deal with more years and lower cap hit. Boldin would have to take less to be here, can't add to many years to him, so his would be a flat out pay cut
[/quote]
This, Jones contract was very odd I thought from the beginning. We need a guy like Jones on the team however, what he could provide as a #2 and a returner we simply don't have and haven't had in a WR opposite our #1. But that cap number needs to be reduced.

I think people are too sensitive around here about favorite players. I love Boldin like the next guy, but I think some people here are taking the idea of letting Boldin go for Doss & Jones as a way of saying Boldin sucks. While I can't speak for everyone, I will speak for myself.

Boldin will be a very expensive WR next offseason. This is a business, as Ray Rice can attest. Sometimes, business decisions are made like to let McGahee go for Rice, or to let JJ go for Kruger. If we don't give the young guys snaps, people complain when we are too slow, that we're too old. We cut old players for youth, we're too inexperienced. The bottom-line is this is a business, and if x player can produce similar to y player then y player will find himself out.

It makes sense to trade Boldin now than keep him and take a cap hit when we can allocate that money elsewhere. I don't think it will be an easy transition from Boldin to the next guy, but I feel it's one worth taking. Good teams get rid of players before their decline. Also, why dd we sign JJ to such a big second year contract when we have Boldin? Why is JJ's 2nd year not guaranteed (I think?).

Anyway, I think Birk retires. Williams & McKinnie don't come back. Boldin is traded. Lewis returns. Reed & Flacco are re-signed. Michael Oher gets an extension. I see Cary Williams, Paul Kruger & possibly Ellerbe walking. I see all our RFAs getting tendered.

We need to win the SB so Reed and Ray Lewis retire.

Just sayin.

[Edit] Also, before anyone starts hating. These guys don't perform up to their contracts. Doesn't mean I don't love them.

Boldins one of my favorites but he'll be gone. It's a shame too, I don't feel we ever used him right.

...Unless of course he takes a huge pay cut and wants to stay here. But we're good at WR. I honestly rather put that money into one of our lines.

[quote name='cursona pirate' timestamp='1352943426' post='1219393']
I like Boldin. Don't want him to leave. [b]Can never see Reed on another team. It's just not right.[/b]
[/quote]
This.

And I think we all have a good idea where that would be too... Them clam chowda boyz in Bawston

[quote name='arnie_uk' timestamp='1352937033' post='1219314']
[/quote]
Serious question, when was the last time we asked a player to take a pay cut? Wasn't it McKinnie? He's definitely not staying at his price.

Jones isn't overpaid and isn't going anywhere

Mckinnie and Williams will be gone.. No doubt

We need to figure out what we're doing with Leach.. As beastly as he is, he isn't seeing the field enough to earn his huge salary (comparative to other fb's)

Boldin should take less money.. Well hopefully

[quote name='codizzle' timestamp='1352961922' post='1219532']
Jones isn't overpaid and isn't going anywhere

Mckinnie and Williams will be gone.. No doubt

We need to figure out what we're doing with Leach.. As beastly as he is, he isn't seeing the field enough to earn his huge salary (comparative to other fb's)

Boldin should take less money.. Well hopefully
[/quote]Comparing leach to other full backs isn't really fair since we are one of the only teams that still uses a full back on a regular basis

I started something similar to this a couple of weeks ago with regards to the future of our receiving corps (a possible merge candidate). In essence I believe that Boldin will be released and Jocboy signed to a long term deal with guys like Tandon Doss making an impact on offense. In the older thread I think there was some cap break down as well if you want to look for yourself.

d
[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1352950696' post='1219475']
I think people are too sensitive around here about favorite players. I love Boldin like the next guy, but I think some people here are taking the idea of letting Boldin go for Doss & Jones as a way of saying Boldin sucks. While I can't speak for everyone, I will speak for myself.

Boldin will be a very expensive WR next offseason. This is a business, as Ray Rice can attest. Sometimes, business decisions are made like to let McGahee go for Rice, or to let JJ go for Kruger. If we don't give the young guys snaps, people complain when we are too slow, that we're too old. We cut old players for youth, we're too inexperienced. The bottom-line is this is a business, and if x player can produce similar to y player then y player will find himself out.

It makes sense to trade Boldin now than keep him and take a cap hit when we can allocate that money elsewhere. I don't think it will be an easy transition from Boldin to the next guy, but I feel it's one worth taking. Good teams get rid of players before their decline. Also, why dd we sign JJ to such a big second year contract when we have Boldin? Why is JJ's 2nd year not guaranteed (I think?).

Anyway, I think Birk retires. Williams & McKinnie don't come back. Boldin is traded. Lewis returns. Reed & Flacco are re-signed. Michael Oher gets an extension. I see Cary Williams, Paul Kruger & possibly Ellerbe walking. I see all our RFAs getting tendered.
[/quote]

i feel like we need kuger cary and ellerbe to come back. i think we can afford losing one but not all 3. those 3 have been huge for our hurting defense the past couple of weeks. id say kruger will be the one to walk b.c hes not ever going to be a starter for us, hes just not complete enough. hes definitely a beast though and it will suck to see him go

Where is all of these lets cut Boldin for cap space ideas coming from????LOL.Unless we picked up a damn good wr afterwards,if we let him go our offense would go straight to the dark ages without him.The guy is leading our team in receiving yards for goodness sake.Plus were good when it comes to cap space in 2013.We were projected to have somewhere around 15M before we signed Rice.Were probably still somewhere in the double digit million range afterward.Well be able to sign Reed and Flacco and still have millions left.Heres the article saying where our cap should be.

[url="http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/49464/projecting-2013-cap-room-for-afc-north"]http://espn.go.com/b...m-for-afc-north[/url]

Boldin is not going anywhere. He'll restructure.
Ray will be HERE unless he retires.
Dittoing for Ed Reed.
Jacoby will return also and be extended.

[quote name='Bazooka Joe' timestamp='1352986608' post='1219579']
Boldin is not going anywhere. He'll restructure.
Ray will be HERE unless he retires.
Dittoing for Ed Reed.
Jacoby will return also and be extended.
[/quote]

Jacoby is signed for 2 years.

[quote name='wikle' timestamp='1352962334' post='1219533']
Comparing leach to other full backs isn't really fair since we are one of the only teams that still uses a full back on a regular basis
[/quote]
Don't have time to look up the stats but we don't use leach near as much as the average fan thinks

And there are still plenty of teams that use FB's.. It's just not the popular thing anymore and is basically outdated in today's NFL

[font=comic sans ms, cursive]We will need to make some major moves in the draft if Reed and Lewis retire and Boldin is gone. I would like to see some nice trades take place on defensive line and at the DB level. I would also love to see a big time OL move. But our #1 draft is defense. Either pass rusher or run stopper. But we can't sit back and let New England gobble up everyone again or let the steeler out do us. What is our 3 greatest needs in the draft? what trades do we need to make? What free agent pick ups if any should go after? Depending on what we do with trades and free agency will dictate how we draft. Any thoughts on this?[/font]

[quote name='Sunday QB' timestamp='1353018836' post='1219962']
[font=comic sans ms, cursive]We will need to make some major moves in the draft if Reed and Lewis retire and Boldin is gone. I would like to see some nice trades take place on defensive line and at the DB level. I would also love to see a big time OL move. But our #1 draft is defense. Either pass rusher or run stopper. But we can't sit back and let New England gobble up everyone again or let the steeler out do us. What is our 3 greatest needs in the draft? what trades do we need to make? What free agent pick ups if any should go after? Depending on what we do with trades and free agency will dictate how we draft. Any thoughts on this?[/font]
[/quote]sorry what does that say?

[quote name='arnie_uk' timestamp='1353020521' post='1219975']
sorry what does that say?
[/quote]

I'll sum it up. The sky is falling and Ozzie doesn't have a pair to move up. I'll agree we need to go pass rush first round. I would like to see us finally trade up seeing how close our team is. If Boldin was to go he has said we won't miss him because of Doss. I think Doss is being groomed as his replacement anyway. Our secondary will be fine with Jimmy and Webb back. Could probably use a safety as well. The o line will be fine.

[quote name='codizzle' timestamp='1353018736' post='1219961']
Don't have time to look up the stats but we don't use leach near as much as the average fan thinks

And there are still plenty of teams that use FB's.. It's just not the popular thing anymore and is basically outdated in today's NFL
[/quote]

I don't think Nosebleed is going anywhere. He'll get plenty of action down the stretch into the post season. There's not many better at bustin' heads from the backfield.

[quote name='codizzle' timestamp='1353018736' post='1219961']

[/quote]we haven't been using him as much this season, maybe saving him for the post season. but the position of full back has been dying for about 4 years now

Jones will 100% stay. He's a great receiver but stat-wise not the best in games just because of how our offense works. He will probably have a similar deal to the one he had this year. Now Boldin is another story. He has been clutch this year but we have some good receiver prospects. I think he stays for cheap just because he knows he won't get much more production anywhere else.

I was hoping this thread would actually have some salary cap details. Expected numbers or salaries of players that would most affect it.

[quote name='wikle' timestamp='1353028437' post='1220043']
we haven't been using him as much this season, maybe saving him for the post season. but the position of full back has been dying for about 4 years now
[/quote]
That post helps my point....

[quote name='codizzle' timestamp='1353041262' post='1220115']
That post helps my point....
[/quote]just saying, he is still a very valuable part of the team. hopefully he will make a bigger impact in december, january, and february