Ravens-Texans      Joe Flacco      Schedule   

Photo

[News] Ravens Lead NFL In Red Zone Defense

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 BR News

BR News

Hall of Famer

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,058 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

Baltimore hasn't allowed a touchdown in eight straight red-zone trips.

View the full article

#2 dead serious

dead serious

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:46 PM

In terms of play-calling, Defensive Coordinator Dean Pees has done well dialing up different plays and formations. He can do that because a shorter field is easier to defend because there%u2019s less space to zip passes.

I believe that this is Due more to him moving himself up to the Coaches Booth and making Adjustments from there!!! Since he has the past 2 games along with younger,faster, and Healthier players getting onto the field the Defense has a bit more Shine to it Overall!!!

#3 heycuf

heycuf

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

And somebody had the nerve to say Ed Reed needs to hang it up.You cannot replace that kind of intelligence.Like I said,even hurt he's still better than alot,just needs some heeling time. Go Ravens!EDDIE,EDDIE,we've got another Eddie to cheer for.

#4 dead serious

dead serious

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

I believe that this is Due more to him moving himself up to the Coaches Booth and making Adjustments from there!!! Since he has the past 2 games along with younger,faster, and Healthier players getting onto the field the Defense has a bit more Shine to it Overall!!!

Also our Offense isn't running as much NO-Huddle and going 3 and outs so the defense isnt as Tired once it's gets on the field or down into the Red Zone area. It still has some Punch in it to Defend where needed. I believe that the Defense being on the Field so much was causing them a Major issue!!!

#5 steelcityraven

steelcityraven

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

What are we doing different in the Redzone that we are not doing between the 20's ?????
BLITZING.... we turn up te heat with our backs to the wall and are finding out that we can be effective. In this passing NFL .... the less tme aQB has to carve you up ... the better chance you have of stopping them...

WOuld just like to see a little more cosnsistency of dialing up some heat... from 20 to 20 not just inside the 20!

#6 dead serious

dead serious

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

WOuld just like to see a little more cosnsistency of dialing up some heat... from 20 to 20 not just inside the 20!

I'll add to that... We need some more Press coverage between the 20's.. Seems like Pee's is afraid of Press until he hits the Red Zone. Teams are dumping for 5-10 yard passes cuz our defense plays so far off on coverages!!!

Edited by dead serious, 14 November 2012 - 01:02 PM.

#7 Ravens in The Dena

Ravens in The Dena

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

To be honest I dont care how many yards we give up, as long as our scoring defense is at the top half of the league and our offense keeps improving, we will be fine and we will be back fighting in the afccg.

#8 metalraven

metalraven

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

I think the two most important defensive stats are Points Allowed and Red Zone defense. As long as the Ravens can prevent the big play, and limit teams to field goals, they'll be fine. I think by season's end, their defense, overall, will be much improved. Maybe not what it used to be; but improved. Which at this point, is all we can hope for.

Edited by metalraven, 15 November 2012 - 12:14 PM.

#9 10000 Watts

10000 Watts

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

The Squeelers are DEFINITELY gonna have to come better than that. Go Ravens!!! :)

#10 ravenwildman

ravenwildman

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

Good, now let's shoot for top total defense in all categories by seasons end!

GO RAVENS!

#11 CxM_27

CxM_27

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

If only the played that way outside the redzone too

#12 jrs034

jrs034

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

umm if you have such good plays and creative packages in the red zone why don't you use some of that creativeness and make some killer play calls when the Ravens are not in the red zone

#13 Purple Dawg 96

Purple Dawg 96

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

"Where them Hater's At"?! And, they are still gonna take it up "Another" Notch! Yup! In the next few months "Light's Out"!

#14 dead serious

dead serious

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:31 PM

Keep in Mind .. New England had a very Low Ranked Defense Last year... and Who represented the AFC in the SuperBowl... The Giants also had a Pretty low Ranked Defense if I remember correctly.... so all these stats and rankings in the end really don't mean squat... cuz Who remembers a team for there stats and Ranking Unless they make the Superbowl!!!! Keep others from scoring and the Ravens will not only be in the SuperBowl but they will Also Win It!!!

#15 Peej

Peej

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

The Ravens defense has a lot of knowledgable players that know how to play the game!

If you can keep the opponent out of the end zone, giving up a field goal only, it gives the offense a chance to respond with a TD....

In the end, the only stat I care about is the number ONE (one team holding the Lombardi Trophy)!

#16 I Roll With Purple n Black

I Roll With Purple n Black

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

Keep in Mind .. New England had a very Low Ranked Defense Last year... and Who represented the AFC in the SuperBowl... The Giants also had a Pretty low Ranked Defense if I remember correctly.... so all these stats and rankings in the end really don't mean squat... cuz Who remembers a team for there stats and Ranking Unless they make the Superbowl!!!! Keep others from scoring and the Ravens will not only be in the SuperBowl but they will Also Win It!!!

Exactly. Yes the stats look good when we dominate but what good is a stat to the other team who can move on us but never score? NOTHING! They are still left with that same frustration and defeat at the end of the day. The good thing is that our D is starting to improve between the 20s too. Things are looking up finally!

#17 Bitter5

Bitter5

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

WOW

#18 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,005 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

I think the Redzone defense is the start. That's the most important thing is defending your goal line. Then it pushes it way out to the 20s. Someone asked why if the defensive calls are so good and creative in the redzone why not do the same things in the middle of the field. Well they actually do. However the difference is, when you are down inside the redzone, the offense has limited room to operate, so playing zone really helps in this area of the field. Even if given a free release, the WR doesn't have much room to roam the secondary.

However when you get out between the 20s, a free release is deadly because the Ravens don't have many strong pass rushers. So a QB and WR are able to run timing routes more freely. For example, the TD to DHB, Palmer had pressure up the middle from Ellerbe, however he didn't have to react to that pressure because DHB was given a free release and got to his spot quickly. If DHB was jammed, or at least had to fight to get to his spot on the field, Ellerbe's pressure would have either forced Palmer to move or throw the ball sooner then he wanted to. That split second could have been the difference between a Reed Int, and that missed tackle TD.

So my point is, right now, the Ravens don't seem to have a lot of confidence in the secondary to play a lot of man coverage. Whenever they do play press man, they have a lot of success. However, you can get creative as you want with blitz pressure, if the WRs are given free releases into zone coverage, chances are the QB is gonna identify exactly where he wants to go with the ball early and deliver a good pass.

Another factor to this is the offense. From what I see, Pees has 2 times when he goes to that soft zone type of defense. When the offense isn't moving the ball, Pees seems to have an approach of, hey we don't wanna give up too many points. So the bend but don't break approach is taken. Also, when the Ravens are facing a team with a well known offense that can score.

I think the formula moving forward has to be the Ravens making offenses match FGs with TDs. However with this approach, the offense has to hold their end of the bargain as well.

mj5v69.jpg

#19 Macadamia

Macadamia

Veteran

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

I am only interested in one statistic, the final score.

#20 breden16

breden16

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

The way I look it at is we've played good quarterbacks almost every week. The only bad ones we played have been cassel and weeden. Last year we played a lot of the bottom tier quarterbacks. So pretty much our d has bad stats bc were playing a lot more elite offenses this year and the in the nfl it is tough to defend now a days. The only thing that matters is being able to get the stop when needed and coming out with a win and right now we've down that.