Ravens at Browns      Game Rewind      Rice Jersey Exchange   

Photo

[News] Will Ravens' Road Woes Apply In Pittsburgh?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 BR News

BR News

Hall of Famer

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,287 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

Joe Flacco said that "when it matters" the Ravens play well wherever they are.

View the full article

#2 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,986 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

92 yards. End of discussion.

#3 Macadamia

Macadamia

Veteran

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

Yes, very Elway-esque. Let's keep it going this season, with or without the Big Ben excuses.

#4 steelcityraven

steelcityraven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

Road woes... IDK if this problem is that specific to the Ravens
True: we have laid some eggs on the road over the past two seasons!

Tenn, Jax,Seattle, SD last season we debacles- this season the texans game was uglier! but we dropped a tough one (that we should have won) vs the Eagles

Out of all 32 teams in the NFL only 12 have a winning record onthe road!
this is Not uncommon. We seem to win the conference road games however. Last season we lost those and the Falcons game on the road but won in Pittsbugh, CIncy, and Cleveland. making us 3-5 on the road and 8-0 at home....

IDK if we go 8-0 at home again and just win our 3 road division games (plus KC since we have that one) that means we repeat as Conference Champs and still looking at a first round bye in the playoffs. 12-4 would not be a bad season

I will take those type of road woes... and have to beleive that at 12-4 we will have a legit shot at Homefield advantage nthe PO!

#5 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

More likely than not, Flacco will have trouble.

Steelers are ranked #1 defense afterall. Even with Clark/Polamalu out.

But with Big Ben out, we should have this in the bag

#6 runamuk

runamuk

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

I think flacco put to rest any fears over not being able to beat the steelers last year we did it here there ,,,, I am confident we can do this .

#7 10000 Watts

10000 Watts

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

It's just like what our fellow fan posted earlier on one of these articles on this website: Heinz Field has become our 2nd home. Go Ravens!!! :)

#8 steelcityraven

steelcityraven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

Ike Taylor is very beatable! Torrey proved that last season and Boldin seems to abuse IKE... Polamalou out is big but the are the # 1 ef without him this season....

I think that if we get our TE's invlved early and keep those LB's honest... we can keep them off balance with a nice mix of run and pass! THat limits their ability to get blitz happy and we can decimate them like we did in the first game last season

but if we become prdicatable again and put ourselves in long 3rd downs, etc... we could make this game much tougher on ourselves then we need to!

#9 10000 Watts

10000 Watts

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

Road woes... IDK if this problem is that specific to the Ravens
True: we have laid some eggs on the road over the past two seasons!

Tenn, Jax,Seattle, SD last season we debacles- this season the texans game was uglier! but we dropped a tough one (that we should have won) vs the Eagles

Out of all 32 teams in the NFL only 12 have a winning record onthe road!
this is Not uncommon. We seem to win the conference road games however. Last season we lost those and the Falcons game on the road but won in Pittsbugh, CIncy, and Cleveland. making us 3-5 on the road and 8-0 at home....

IDK if we go 8-0 at home again and just win our 3 road division games (plus KC since we have that one) that means we repeat as Conference Champs and still looking at a first round bye in the playoffs. 12-4 would not be a bad season

I will take those type of road woes... and have to beleive that at 12-4 we will have a legit shot at Homefield advantage nthe PO!

One qtr at a time my, bro. One qtr at a time. 1st qtr we're 3-1 (shoulda been 4-0) 2nd qtr we're again 3-1. Background Music playing is Montell Jordan's "This Is How We Do It". Go Ravens!!! :)

#10 metalraven

metalraven

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

I get what Flacco is saying. But I have to admit: I don't like the "when it really matters" comment. Because all 60 minutes is "when it really matters"; and against good teams, if you're not playing well for the entire game, then you're going to lose. I don't expect perfection, but the Ravens simply can't afford to disappear for whole quarters (oxymoron...?) at a time.

Edited by metalraven, 14 November 2012 - 02:01 PM.

#11 greenraven

greenraven

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

Go on the Ravens!No excuses for not winning now with Ben Hurthisshoulder out.

#12 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,986 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

Flacco has been elite at home and bad on the road. Maybe this road game, that is so familiar to Joe is just what the doctor ordered to take that final step in Flaccos maturation process.
In that regard the stage is set up beautifully for Joe. The last game in Pitt was his most spectacular victory outside Baltimore yet and right afterwards the Ravens are heading to San Diego, where he had one of his worst games of his carreer.
Winning both of those (and they are winnable, especially without Ben and with the way Rivers is playing nowadays) could be a huge confidence boost for Flacco and his offense, allowing him to exorcise those "on the road"-demons.

#13 riseNConquer81

riseNConquer81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,244 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:58 PM

We own Heinz at the moment. Im not worried.

#14 Skipper

Skipper

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

I don't think you can take too much away from the Ravens road losses this year. Winning on the road in the NFL is not easy. Many teams can attest to that after playing at M&T Bank Stadium, which has become a trail of tears for some NFL teams. McNabb's benching, the Eagles meltdown, the Jets brashness after their week 2 game, the Raiders gettin embarrased etc. There's all sorts of examples of team's playing below their capabilites here in Baltimore.

Flacco is right. They've won plenty of big games on the road and they'll continue to do so. A couple of ugly road losses can be expected, every team lays an egg on the road here and there.

Let's not discount what the Ravens have accomplished on the road over the last couple of years because of an ugly game in Texas.

#15 metalraven

metalraven

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

I don't think you can take too much away from the Ravens road losses this year. Winning on the road in the NFL is not easy. Many teams can attest to that after playing at M&T Bank Stadium, which has become a trail of tears for some NFL teams. McNabb's benching, the Eagles meltdown, the Jets brashness after their week 2 game, the Raiders gettin embarrased etc. There's all sorts of examples of team's playing below their capabilites here in Baltimore.

Flacco is right. They've won plenty of big games on the road and they'll continue to do so. A couple of ugly road losses can be expected, every team lays an egg on the road here and there.

Let's not discount what the Ravens have accomplished on the road over the last couple of years because of an ugly game in Texas.

I agree with you to an extent. But it's not just the losses...it's WHY they lost. It's that they have come out ridiculously flat, and seem to forget how to play Raven football for entire quarters at a time.

Ya, road games are always tough, and we canonly wish that they win them all. But they've looked awful on the road at times, and I think that's what's most frustrating for us fans.

#16 Guest_llwillow1231_*

Guest_llwillow1231_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

we can do this . I know road has been an issue but we were reeling with injuries i think our young guys are finding there feet and i doubt this will be an easy game but I haven't been concerned about the steelers at all this year . they do not look the same to me and we aren't either. MY biggest worry is peyton manning and i am so glad we will be home when they come to play I just hope tucker can kick on the bad side of heinz field ,

Edited by llwillow1231, 14 November 2012 - 02:14 PM.

#17 RisingandConquering

RisingandConquering

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:15 PM

Pretty sure the Torrey Smith touchdown was with 0:08 left.

#18 chevalier

chevalier

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

I think the real reason for our change in road play has to do with out transition from a Defensive team to an Offensive team. IN the past we were a defense of stars and playmakers, and defense usually travels better than offense because they're not battling crowd noise and timing issues like offense. Now, we're an offensive team and our D is arguably our weakness to a degree. In the past, we might "play well" on the road by winning 17-14 or something and our D would mask the truth of our offensive play being rather pedestrian. Now, opponents score more on us on the road and our AMAZING offensive play at home underscores how pedestrian our O is on the road. In the past we would average not a whole lot of points so it was hard to tell the difference between our road/home offense quite honestly. I don't think this is a new issue with our road play, just proof that our O is really explosive now, which we never had before, but hasn't quite gotten there on the road

#19 metalraven

metalraven

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

we can do this . I know road has been an issue but we were reeling with injuries i think our young guys are finding there feet and i doubt this will be an easy game but I haven't been concerned about the steelers at all this year . they do not look the same to me and we aren't either. MY biggest worry is peyton manning and i am so glad we will be home when they come to play I just hope tucker can kick on the bad side of heinz field ,

I agree. Manning has been unbelievable, shredding defenses up (except for the Falcons...but Peyton doesn't make the same mistake twice). That's going to be a huge game for us. If our Red Zone defense is still great, then we SHOULD be able to win. Plus, I can see Flacco carving up the Bronco D.

Edited by metalraven, 14 November 2012 - 02:25 PM.

#20 ravenpic

ravenpic

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

You can throw out all the other games as far as using them to help pick this one. Will McKinnie start in this one? Last year he dominated vs Pbgh. I think we will have some surprises for them.

Edited by ravenpic, 14 November 2012 - 02:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users