Upcoming Events:  Lil Ravens Camp      Training Camp Stadium Practices      Movie Night   

Watch Training Camp LIVE Thursday at 8:30 am ET

Ravens training camp kicks off Thursday & we're bringing the action directly to you! News, analysis, giveaways and more! More info ยป
Close

Photo

Starting to get fun

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 nextgen_RavensFan

nextgen_RavensFan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

It is starting to get fun to watch our defense. I think Pees has finally gotten to know the players and puts them in the best position to do well. Look at last Sunday, Upshaw, Kruger and Tyson all were around the ball and making plays. I think once Pees gets a full year under his belt he will have this Defense back to the pounders we have all came to know and love.

It is fun again even now even though we have a very hard road ahead i think they will shine and make some plays for us.
This spot reserved for Super Bowl celebratory images !!

#2 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,135 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

If anything else, we were flying around and hitting people ( everyone except ER20). Thats a good sign, it means the young guys arent playing as tenatively. I think RL52 boosted our spirits a good bit...

Which, by the way looked like he had pretty good range of motion while doing hand claps and other physical things with his triceps.

#3 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

If anything else, we were flying around and hitting people ( everyone except ER20). Thats a good sign, it means the young guys arent playing as tenatively. I think RL52 boosted our spirits a good bit...

Which, by the way looked like he had pretty good range of motion while doing hand claps and other physical things with his triceps.

With triceps you don't lose a lot of mobility and range. It's just a lengthy recovery time. (Never had one myself, but a friend did).

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#4 Sizzlebshu

Sizzlebshu

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,624 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

agreed. It looks like the rookies are getting more comfortable. btw shot ya a pm

#5 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,135 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

With triceps you don't lose a lot of mobility and range. It's just a lengthy recovery time. (Never had one myself, but a friend did).

it hinders the ability to straighten you arm. Im not saying he's back, but he wasn't really favoring it either.

#6 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

I think we wrote off Pees too early. We tend to panic around here especially considering our record...Pees is no Pagano, but Pees lost the DPOY and two veteran starters. I think we missed the fact that rookies and young players may take a while to adjust to new DC, something we never thought about since the team has been mainly older veterans.

He's getting more aggressive and I think the change to the box probably helped. Some may say not as much but it is a big difference being able to spot mistakes from a birds eye view and when you have other coaches around you.

#7 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,859 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

Its the booth I am telling ya'.
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#8 jaege

jaege

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

I was never down on Pees myself, but lets see if he can duplicate his success for a few more games before we raise his statue. Admittedly, his defense has looked better for the last couple of games with improvement from one to the next. Good tidings for us.
It's so nice to be insane...

CAM GOT FIRED!!!!!

Joe Cool is the MAN!!!

Ravens

World Champions

#9 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,434 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:11 PM

I'm pretty sure it's because the players have started to improve and play better. The defense has done better since Pees went into the booth, but I'm not sure what that has to do with players shedding blocks and making tackles.

#10 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,407 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:06 AM

Suggs is not 100% and he already has an impact on the way offenses play us. It's save to say that Pagano was helped alot in his schemes by a Suggs, that had a carreer season. Add to that Ngata who was banged up in his last 2 games ateast, Ed Reed who struggles to tackle anybody properly with his shoulder injury, Ray Lewis, who is out and quite frankly struggled to stop the run himself often enough AND the loss of our star CB and I think, that the progress we are making is quite impressive.
Without Webb our secondary will always be lacking, but if we keep getting better we might have a shot at becoming decent just before the playoffs. I really like the cautious and slow way we reintroduce Sizzle back to the game and both Kruger and Upshaw are starting to grow on me.
Pees coaching seems to me to be more about the big picture for now. Everything is at this moment a "work in progress" and there MIGHT be a chance this defense gets atleast halfway decent before we end this season.
Still, we won't get back to Ravens dominance on defense this season. It's all about Flacco and Rice getting us to the promised land. Apart of obviously drafting a MLB and safety, there is still a need to draft a good passrusher and quite possibly atleast a decent corner for us to get the defense back we are used to as Ravens fans.

bJNF689.jpg

#11 black blood purple passion

black blood purple passion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:50 AM

it hinders the ability to straighten you arm. Im not saying he's back, but he wasn't really favoring it either.

you're both kind of right. One can use gravity as an assist to straighten the arm when the triceps is compromised, but only for very simple movements, like clapping, etc. However moving anything of considerable mass in which the triceps had to be extended, or opposing gravity would become arduous.

#12 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,754 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:25 AM

I think it's simple. If someone told you the Ravens defense would go through different parts of this season with, No, RL52, No 55, No Webb, Reed, Ngata, and Smith all seriously hurting, they are gonna play 10-12 players who have 4 years or less experience, they would have to deal with a NEW DC for the 3 straight season and all of this with a very though schedule. I think most people would have said chalk this season up to a rebuilding year. honestly

If someone said that Ellerbe and Cary would turn into two bright spots on our defense 9 games into the season, most of us would have laughed and told that person they know nothing about football. If that person said that Josh Bynes and Chekie Brown would be playing more then Ray Lewis and Webb, most of us fans would be waiting for the sky to fall.

However this team is 7-2 and going into a huge 3 game stretch, that could really define the season for this team. Pees has had a lot to do with that. No the defense isn't great and they definitely don't strike fear into anyone like they have in the past, however, these young players are getting better and better. Progress is a process.

I think Pees was handed the worst hand of any of the DCs we've had in recent years. However he did a great thing from day one, he came in and said, the defense wouldn't worry about stats and numbers, they are just gonna keep opponents out of the endzone and for the most part they've done that.

The scary part for the NFL is that the Ravens are 7-2 and haven't started to hit their stride yet. This defense should just continue to get better and better. My only concern, is Pees' desire to play that soft zone throughout long periods of a game. When the defense plays physical, most times, people don't move the ball much.
Posted Image

#13 CalvinSmoke

CalvinSmoke

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:36 PM

I think we wrote off Pees too early. We tend to panic around here especially considering our record...Pees is no Pagano, but Pees lost the DPOY and two veteran starters. I think we missed the fact that rookies and young players may take a while to adjust to new DC, something we never thought about since the team has been mainly older veterans.

He's getting more aggressive and I think the change to the box probably helped. Some may say not as much but it is a big difference being able to spot mistakes from a birds eye view and when you have other coaches around you.

We certainly gave up on him too soon. He actually makes our players learn and get better. He doesn't have those exotic schemes that Pagono had, he is much more reliant on players gap discipline and integrity.

This is starting to play out like his time in New England. Starts badly while players adjust, and then suddenly they are formidable at years end..

1Untitled_zps8afd95ac.pngbench_zps0a7ce32d.jpg

#14 admartian

admartian

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

Even though we gave up yards (not really surprising to me in the least as Palmer's been doing that and has done that (to us no less) this year) - it was nice to see some creativity to his schemes.

While I'm not expecting for us to be that shut down defence just yet (or even for a long time), I'm definitely liking the trend in the right direction.

Which makes me think if DP can adjust, why can't our....oh never mind...

#GetFlaccoHelpIn2014

Win or lose, I believe.

PS4 is WOW!

#15 sflegend89

sflegend89

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

This is the first game that I'm sensing a big impact play from Sizzle. Strip sack, tip at the line of scrimmage that get's picked, maybe even snatching a screen like he did last year to Ben. Leftwich isn't very mobile and plays that are a routine escaping of the pocket for Ben could end up as sacks/strip sack so that's why I like Sizzle in this game. I think our D will be bend but don't break, giving up some plays here and there but holding Pitt to mostly FG's and maybe a lone TD.

On the other hand I think our offense can do enough to win by more then 1 possession. Pitt's D got away with a bunch of dropped 1st down passes against KC, they really aren't in great form themselves despite what the stats say. and Flacco has never been this confident going into a Steelers game. No Ben and the last time he was at Heinz he carved up that same D for 90+ yds in under 2 minutes.

Edited by sflegend89, 14 November 2012 - 10:18 PM.

"I run wherever I land on the runway, gimme daylight and I'm Bernard Pierce on a run play" - LOS

#16 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,422 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:12 AM

Pete Prisco CBSSports about the Ravens 2008 draft: "They reached for Flacco and I didn't really like the pick of Ray Rice in the second round."

Lol. Now that I read this, everytime I see something from him I won't think anything of it.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users