Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RavensPunkXVX

Merged: Falcons Cut DE Ray Edwards

21 posts in this topic

Getting cut by falcons may be a vet minimum guy to help the pass rush. Especially if we play a little more 4 down linemen

He had success in Minnesota, but playing next to Pat Williams, Kevin Williams, and Jared Allen made it hard to tell whether he was just siphoning from their success. He seemed to do a lot on his own, and playing across from John Abraham would seem to help, but I guess he just couldn't hold up.

he talked a lot of crap also when he was not resigned by minnesota because his "backup" got paid and he said he wouldn't take less, his "backup" brian robison has 5 sacks this year and smartly keeps his mouth shut playing opposite of Jared Allen.

[quote name='Fred Sanford' timestamp='1352800184' post='1217860']
He had success in Minnesota, but playing next to Pat Williams, Kevin Williams, and Jared Allen made it hard to tell whether he was just siphoning from their success. He seemed to do a lot on his own, and playing across from John Abraham would seem to help, but I guess he just couldn't hold up.
[/quote]

I think it its possible that he could of had lost his motivation to give his all in game since he received so much money from the falcons. Maybe he's overall drive from the time he played as a viking was to get that big contract/ pay day rather than the passion for the game .

As it's already been mentioned, Edwards has struggled mightily as a pass rusher in his short-lived stint in Atlanta. For someone paying opposite of a dominant force in John Abraham, you would expect a little more than just 2 pressures on the year. Granted that he has played seen the field considerably less than he did on average in 2011, but the point still stands. Edwards has been a solid run defender though, to his credit, with 30 stops since 2011 and just 1 missed tackle. But there would probably be a transition period, and I doubt he'd be willing to sign for the bare minimum. Another team is likely to overpay him.

I know the falcons cut him, didnt want to pay his salary............

The guy had some decent years and is still young. Wonder if brining him in for a tryout would be a bad idea. Worst case were out a plane ticket, Best Case, we can pick up a Pass Rusher and some depth for the Dline. Moving Ngata into the NT spot would be preferable since cody and kemo are both weak, slow fat tubs of lard.

Already being discussed here:

http://boards.baltimoreravens.com/topic/49499-falcons-to-cut-de-ray-edwards/

[quote name='nk02442' timestamp='1352840573' post='1218345']
I know the falcons cut him, didnt want to pay his salary............

The guy had some decent years and is still young. Wonder if brining him in for a tryout would be a bad idea. Worst case were out a plane ticket, Best Case, we can pick up a Pass Rusher and some depth for the Dline. Moving Ngata into the NT spot would be preferable since cody and kemo are both weak, slow fat tubs of lard.
[/quote]

If I interpreted what you said correctly, you want Ray Edwards to come in as a 3-4 DE and move Ngata to NT. Moving Ngata to NT is okay, but playing Ray Edwards as a 3-4 DE is absurd, laughable, and ridiculous.

Now, if we wanted to be reasonable and bring him in as a 3-4 OLB, I'd be more open minded. I'm still opposed to it, but more receptive. He's played in a 4-3 since forever. Maybe he could come here strictly as a third down rusher, but I don't think we have the cap for it. It's unlikely.

[quote name='BloodRaven' timestamp='1352777870' post='1217435']
Bust FA signing. I bet he misses Jared Allen.
[/quote]

I bet he misses that entire line, when Allen, The Williams' and Edwards were together they were by far the best and most disruptive defensive line.

[quote name='XxSizzleXx' timestamp='1352852263' post='1218507']
I bet he misses that entire line, when Allen, The Williams' and Edwards were together they were by far the best and most disruptive defensive line.
[/quote]

Damn that line was fun to watch. That line was so freakin good.

PFF are saying the problem was how he was used, he's a complement as a power LE but can't rush the more athletic blindside tackles from the right side. Night and day basically.

TRUST ME..... Yall dont want him... Im not going to go into all the reasons why off the field (its ALOOOT) ..ill just say he is very focused on his modeling and boxing.. Ill stick to on the field... He is to stiff to play 3-4 OLB in you guys scheme... atbeast he could play 3-4 DE but thats not a good fit... In a 4-3 scheme he is not a good pass rusher....He is not the passrusher he looked like for the Vikings.

I would bring him for a tryout. I don't think he will work here, though. Others have said it as well as I can. I just don't think he's a great fit here and who do we cut to make him fit?

I personally like Michael McAdoo. I'd rather give him a chance next year than him a chance this year. Now, if he somehow managed to play 3-4 DE then Hell yeah but that's not happening.