Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Ravens Using Interesting Defensive Wrinkles

36 posts in this topic

Baltimore used Courtney Upshaw at defensive tackle and played with extra linebackers.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Ravens-Using-Interesting-Defensive-Wrinkles/561b0751-8304-4708-9fc5-f22cb390645e]View the full article[/url]

we've never been full on 3-4 or 4-3, switched up according to the situation.
We dont really have the personnel to rely heavily on either as a base defense anymore though. Pees and the Defense are smart guys, this is what you do and how you win. Dont sit around complaining about what you cant do anymore, adjust and make use of what you can do.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]2 TDs in 2 games is noteworthy to say the least but this was against 2 cellar dwellers. It has taken some time but it appears the D is starting to gel. Considering the complete upheaval of personnel I’m glad it hasn’t cost us more games. It is still a work in progress but TSizzle has helped with the confidence, consistency and some dominance on the line. We’re still a year away from being dominant like we were but that comes with experience. Provided we can get healthy is some key areas quickly, #92 and #20, I’d say the outlook is more than just promising. I expect our defensive ranking begin to rise. Next week will be a good test because the squeelers try to play smash mouth football too and have always been our litmus test. Additionally, we’re 1-1 against teams with a winning record so this will help to determine what the D is really made of.[/size][/font]

I think moving Pees up to the coaching box really helped him with calling certain schemes on time and problem solving. I also like how he is mixing the personnel up on the line and with the linebackers. All the Ravens need to do now is get healthy, get rested, tackle better, keep away from penalties and we've gone back to our top defensive ways.

I wrote three weeks ago a mail to jeff zbriec of the sun that i think we were slwoly transitionning to a 43 defense or an hybrid one.

To run a 34 defense we need a great DT and big DEs really Strong at the point of attack.

we have to admit that at this point of the season our DT have not played well , i can't remenber one good play from Kemo or Cody and it's a huge disapointment for maybe the biggest Kelly gregg fan i am.

Mcphee and Jones have the body measure to be solid 34 DE but injuries force mcphee to the bench and artur Jones is slow to develop.

Tyson and Hall have been great surprise and i think they are better suited to play DT in 43 defense

Suggs Kruger Upshaw and mc clellan are too light to play DE in a 34 scheme but have the perfect measurement to put their hand in the dirt in a 43 scheme (they were all DE in college)

I also think Ellerbe is more a 43 MLB or a WLB than a 34 ILB, he is smaller and quicker than the typical 34 thumpers. Mcclain can play MLB or SLB without anyproblem.

Based on our depth and our personnel i think it's great to switch to an hybrid 43 rather than sticking with a classic 34... Can't wait that steelers game to see if these changes still pays off. GO RAVENS GO!

Whatever works, do it. Too bad the Chiefs couldn't finish off the Steelers but that is ok. We will have to do it ourselves on Sunday. Go Ravens.

now hopefully this isn't just a one game thing... keep getting creative with the D and keep other teams guessing

I kind of hope the Ravens give Ray Edwards a look. I doubt they will, but when he played in MIN opposite of Allen and had the Williams Wall inside he was a force to be reckoned with. Bring him in to play with Ngata and Suggs and he could be productive. I know our pass rush appeared better Sunday, but it was still the Raiders.

I was thinking the same thing about ray edwards. Give him a look, if he seems humbled by the fact he was released. Give him a shot at a discount. Gem in the making for a super bowl push.

Forget Ray Edwards!

Antwan Odom is still avialable! We should have signed him in the first place.

And get Lofa Tatufu to add LB depth.

I like the versatility on defense that we showed on Sunday.I think we should keep on with this mix and match scheme to keep defense's guessing.

maybe dean pees sitting up in the box is gonna make us more effective. it would be cool as hell if we were the only team who consistently used an incredibly confusing defensive set up like this. use linebacks and d tackles and d ends all over the front seven and stunting left and right, the offenses will never know what to do and they will never gain any kind of familiarity with one player. could be effective

you read my mind bro...thats what i was suggesting whe should do since the year began..i know when it really comes down to it, we are always going to lose a player to injury at any given time, so better to have a schematic team then a very talented team.. if everyone is confident in the roles , i'm pretty sure as long we scheme Critically we will provide ourselves with enough opportunity to finish ball games strong and in a intimiditating fashion based on the fact that we can win regardless of who gets the recongnition or who made the impact performance that game.
( One thing i learned from dilfer and 2000 ravens was that it took a team to win it, not just defense or offense because if i remember correctly dilfer threw the first blow in the big game with a 37 yd strike to b.stokely. although considered adequate,as QB to the public eye, dilfer had one thing alot of other QB's didn't have, confidence in winning with his critical decision making, just because he didnt pass alot of yards and td's doesnt mean he isn't a great QB, because he also limited the mistakes made, especially when we needed to close games. Our team doesnt need anything else but confidence, consistency in running the ball, and relentless,schematic defensive pursuit. when asking who is the ravens? those three things come to mind in all honesty.)

[quote name='JoeyFlex5' timestamp='1352822947' post='1218010']
maybe dean pees sitting up in the box is gonna make us more effective. it would be cool as hell if we were the only team who consistently used an incredibly confusing defensive set up like this. use linebacks and d tackles and d ends all over the front seven and stunting left and right, the offenses will never know what to do and they will never gain any kind of familiarity with one player. could be effective
[/quote]

unfortunately NE's defense is doing this already...

Is it really surprising that our defense had one of their best outings while The General #52 was on the sideline, saw him a lot of times yelling on the field and had people shifting...just saying, Pees in the box and Lewis on the sideline, this defense is starting to move up in the rankings!!!

Ray Edwards? Antwan Odom? You really think that Ozzie HASN'T checked these guys out? Im 100% sure Oz has a dossier on every player or could-be player that has a chance to be in the NFL.
I think with Dean Pees in the skybox, we're doing a lot better.

I was wondering about Edwards myself but the real question is who would you let go to sign him? Unless it's D.Reed I know anyone else I'd be willing to cut for an unknown quantity.

Upshaw played better than Cody and Kemo they should stick with this weird look cuz they werent really getting pushed around up front