34 replies to this topic

#1 BR News

BR News

Hall of Famer

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,623 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:56 PM

Baltimore used Courtney Upshaw at defensive tackle and played with extra linebackers.

View the full article

#2 12thmandynasty

12thmandynasty

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

I fear teams may audible to a power run at an undersized upshaw playing interior d-line.

#3 CxM_27

CxM_27

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

It should be called the Hybrid Defense

#4 CxM_27

CxM_27

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:52 PM

@12thmandynasty Courtney can definitely hold his own/

#5 riseNConquer81

riseNConquer81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

we've never been full on 3-4 or 4-3, switched up according to the situation.
We dont really have the personnel to rely heavily on either as a base defense anymore though. Pees and the Defense are smart guys, this is what you do and how you win. Dont sit around complaining about what you cant do anymore, adjust and make use of what you can do.

#6 Hardhitters

Hardhitters

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

Excellent!!!

#7 Crabcakes&Football

Crabcakes&Football

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

I'm real big on Courtney Upshaw. He's gonna be a heck of a player for us. Also Tyson and Kruger both had nice games.

#8 BMoreRelentless

BMoreRelentless

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

2 TDs in 2 games is noteworthy to say the least but this was against 2 cellar dwellers. It has taken some time but it appears the D is starting to gel. Considering the complete upheaval of personnel I’m glad it hasn’t cost us more games. It is still a work in progress but TSizzle has helped with the confidence, consistency and some dominance on the line. We’re still a year away from being dominant like we were but that comes with experience. Provided we can get healthy is some key areas quickly, #92 and #20, I’d say the outlook is more than just promising. I expect our defensive ranking begin to rise. Next week will be a good test because the squeelers try to play smash mouth football too and have always been our litmus test. Additionally, we’re 1-1 against teams with a winning record so this will help to determine what the D is really made of.

Edited by BMoreRelentless, 12 November 2012 - 08:11 PM.

#9 Magnusmd

Magnusmd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

whatever works is good with me!!

#10 Stephenjr

Stephenjr

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:02 PM

Caw-Caw-Caw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#11 Legendary Ravens

Legendary Ravens

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:21 PM

Make it do what it do! Let's Go!

#12 Ravenade

Ravenade

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:56 PM

I think moving Pees up to the coaching box really helped him with calling certain schemes on time and problem solving. I also like how he is mixing the personnel up on the line and with the linebackers. All the Ravens need to do now is get healthy, get rested, tackle better, keep away from penalties and we've gone back to our top defensive ways.

#13 Purple City Bird Gang

Purple City Bird Gang

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:39 AM

I like this I'm getting excited!

#14 mika33390

mika33390

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:02 AM

I wrote three weeks ago a mail to jeff zbriec of the sun that i think we were slwoly transitionning to a 43 defense or an hybrid one.

To run a 34 defense we need a great DT and big DEs really Strong at the point of attack.

we have to admit that at this point of the season our DT have not played well , i can't remenber one good play from Kemo or Cody and it's a huge disapointment for maybe the biggest Kelly gregg fan i am.

Mcphee and Jones have the body measure to be solid 34 DE but injuries force mcphee to the bench and artur Jones is slow to develop.

Tyson and Hall have been great surprise and i think they are better suited to play DT in 43 defense

Suggs Kruger Upshaw and mc clellan are too light to play DE in a 34 scheme but have the perfect measurement to put their hand in the dirt in a 43 scheme (they were all DE in college)

I also think Ellerbe is more a 43 MLB or a WLB than a 34 ILB, he is smaller and quicker than the typical 34 thumpers. Mcclain can play MLB or SLB without anyproblem.

Based on our depth and our personnel i think it's great to switch to an hybrid 43 rather than sticking with a classic 34... Can't wait that steelers game to see if these changes still pays off. GO RAVENS GO!

#15 easternshore97

easternshore97

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:51 AM

Will Ravens give Ray Edwards a look?

#16 FloridalovesRavens

FloridalovesRavens

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:36 AM

Whatever works, do it. Too bad the Chiefs couldn't finish off the Steelers but that is ok. We will have to do it ourselves on Sunday. Go Ravens.

#17 Jes

Jes

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:03 AM

now hopefully this isn't just a one game thing... keep getting creative with the D and keep other teams guessing

#18 bmorervns27

bmorervns27

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

I kind of hope the Ravens give Ray Edwards a look. I doubt they will, but when he played in MIN opposite of Allen and had the Williams Wall inside he was a force to be reckoned with. Bring him in to play with Ngata and Suggs and he could be productive. I know our pass rush appeared better Sunday, but it was still the Raiders.

#19 TheCityThatReeds20

TheCityThatReeds20

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

I was thinking the same thing about ray edwards. Give him a look, if he seems humbled by the fact he was released. Give him a shot at a discount. Gem in the making for a super bowl push.

#20 GoldRaven

GoldRaven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:51 AM

Forget Ray Edwards!

Antwan Odom is still avialable! We should have signed him in the first place.

And get Lofa Tatufu to add LB depth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users