Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Why Didn’t Haloti Ngata, Jimmy Smith Play?

50 posts in this topic

Veteran lineman Bobbie Williams also sat out most of the game and Ed Reed had a stinger.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Why-Didn’t-Haloti-Ngata-Jimmy-Smith-Play/a15d3439-bca6-4d4f-a9d7-48b44ece7a54]View the full article[/url]

It says a lot about our defense that we were missing our best D-lineman, our best CB, and our third best CB, our best LB, and our best safety and we still balled all day long.

[quote name='kghandiko' timestamp='1352676433' post='1216088']
I liked the way the offensive line played with Jah Reid in there. Maybe that should be a permanent change or something.
[/quote]

I didn't realize that Williams started the game (as I missed the first couple possessions), so I thought Reid won the starting job. Regardless, it is so good to see him out there and playing effective. I've been worried about him, given we seemed high on him, yet (due partly to injury) we haven't gotten much out of him as of yet. Hope this trend continues.

It was nice to have the early lead and build on it to get these guys some rest and others some playing time. Great job today Ravens!

You gotta love these injured guys attitudes, not a selfish bone in their bodies,...they would play if the team needed them, but are glad for the younger guys to get a chance...this is a close knit team and it shows! All for one and one for all!

Go Ravens!!!

I'm really liking how a lot of the rookies and 2nd year guys are playing, especially today. Should give all of them a good bit of a confidence boost!!

First off the secondary looked much improved with Chykie brown in and Graham ,they seemed to work better together back there ,one thing i took note of was Palmer rarely through Chykie or Graham's way it was Mostly to Williams and Williams played pretty well this Game Hopefully that carries on to the steelers Game ,i also noticed with Ray on the Sidelines Pumping the team up its almost like he was still in the game as another man as i said earlier in the week Ray would be the man to go to if our def cord stunk it up again,anyways the complete shock i didnt see coming was Reid on the O-line how well he has come along to make holes that should be a permanent change and same with the D-line Tyson not sure why the guy was a 7th rounder ,but hes a Huge bright spot for the line ,and finally Upshaw picking it up ,i feel this team is peeking at the perfect time ,i keep hearing about the texans Game ,but you know what had that Game been played in Baltimore that Outcome is reversed ,so heres to hoping the steelers lose long shot i know lol but we can hope ,and heres to the bears crushing the texans ,being in Chicago is def Proabable ,,Go Ravens..

[quote name='yanmei89' timestamp='1352676169' post='1216082']
I thought they benched Jimmy for his poor performances the past couple of games.
[/quote]

You "thought"???? I think not.

I guess we've just about maxed this game out. We won, we won deserved and comfortably, the way a Ravens-caliber team is supposed to win, we were good both sides of the ball, in spite of the injuries and the absence of players like Ray Lewis or Ngata, we had the chance to test some youngins in eral NFL action - and they stood up well most of the time.

If we had 2 good CB's it would be nirvana - but hey, you can't have everything.

bio

For some reason, I just can't get past the thought that maybe this had so much more to do with simply a dreadful Raiders defense (secondary) than it did with us.

All I know is, it didn't seem like the actual pass plays we were calling were much different than most weeks, and our receivers and especially TEs seemed to be running free down the middle on nearly every play.

Mostly, I think the Raiders committee to loading the box against Rice, and Flacco started picking them apart with slants and TE streaks.

However, it just seemed like at times it was simply too easy, which makes it seem much more like a lack of ability on the defensive side instead of a great performance by the offense.

I'm hoping I'm wrong though.

I say stick with Chykie Brown. Give him as many reps as possible. He can be good. High ceiling.

Next year when Webb comes back, Chykie might have enough game to play the other side of the field

Jimmy was in on special teams because he had a penalty. And im sure I seen Haloti in on a few plays.

I was thinking that we shoudnt have played ngata even last week so I'm happy we didn't have to use him. Also giving jimmy a game off is nice. First bc he's been on the injury report every week and second it gives young corners playing time. The only way for players to develop is to be on the field in my opinion and this gives them some experience. I wanna see Asa Jackson in the mix. The last corner we drafted from a small school ended up being a pretty solid player in Ladarius Webb so I wanna see what Asa is made of

[quote name='sami' timestamp='1352686563' post='1216316']
Jimmy was in on special teams because he had a penalty. And im sure I seen Haloti in on a few plays.
[/quote]

I dont remember seeing him on the field.. Could have been a Ref getting a wrong #

It is awesome that Ngata got some extra rest time to prepare for the Steelers next week. And although I was not happy with the amount of yardage put up by Palmer, the game did replace some faith in our depleted defensive backfield. Now let's use our execution this week as a starting point to improve on for next week in Pittsburgh.

chykie is underrated!

if it wasnt for graham blowing that coverage (on obvious man to man with 1 safety deep against their leading receiver ) thisgame would have been a huge confidence boost on all levels.

reed is forgiven for missing the tackle on dhb because hes reed

front seven looked really solid and upshaw was always in the right position. a healthy suggs and ngata will bring us back to the great run stopping team we are

jimmy plays big in big games ( 2011 playoffs) we will need him more against pitt than we did this week.

jacoby is turning into a monster and i like how we threw within the hashes to our tight ends

keep defenses honest by feeding rice and we are set to make a run!!! never thought id say it but GOOD GAME CAM!

[quote name='sami' timestamp='1352686563' post='1216316']
[/quote]

ref said 22 wrongly... penalty was on no 32... ihedigbo

I thought Cary williams played much better this week then I have seen him in the past . and Tyson i would love to see him used more . I am realistic I loved this game but at the same time next week the steelers are not going to allow us to do the same . I think we can beat the steelers if we keep our foot on the gas and play all four quarters like today I think we can proceed with dominating the division.