Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bazooka Joe

It's The Opponents Job!

49 posts in this topic

I'm reading all of these criticisms about the fake punt for a TD and running up the score and us being classless.

I say WHATEVER! When the Texans handed us our behinds, it was "the Texans and the rest of the AFC." Yes they beat us and we beat the lowly Raiders. Who cares?

We dominated in every phase and when you play Carson Palmer whose arm can change a game quickly you hit the gas until the final second.

So stop with this classless garbage. We whooped booty 55-20.

7-2!

Congrats RAVENS!

This is the NFL! I hate when people cry about the score being run up. Score as much as possible!

However, I do wish they would've saved this for a closer game. The fake FG can be a game changer in a close game, but now opponents know to be prepared for it.

[quote name='bmorefan444' timestamp='1352672590' post='1215981']
[b]This is the NFL! I hate when people cry about the score being run up. Score as much as possible![/b]

However, I do wish they would've saved this for a closer game. The fake FG can be a game changer in a close game, but now opponents know to be prepared for it.
[/quote]

exactly!

you score UNTIL the final whistle blows! no one was complaining when the texans was kicking our _____ 3 weeks ago. the roof caved in on us that game...and...it just caved in on the raiders this game. it's the NFL!

~Mili

Harbs was a special teams coach and now, during a rocky season filled with injuries and uncertainties, critics want to take the simple pleasure of a fake FG away from John? Now [b]THAT [/b]is classless.

Yeah I never got mad when the Texans kept scoring against us simply because this is elite-level professional sports. Any competitive pro, in [font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b][i]ANY [/i]sport [/b][/font]will want to do as best as they could come given any opportunity.

There are no extra points for "sportsmanship". Not that I think it was unsportsmanlike of the Texans or us to do so.

Posted · Hidden by Moderator 3, November 12, 2012 - Crude · Report post

[quote name='Ravens<3' timestamp='1352676448' post='1216090']
I think people need to find SOMETHING to complain about.
[/quote]

Right. Like a guy complaining that his 21 year old girlfriend with DD breasts lied when she said they were real.

Who cares! Real or fake, take off the bra!

Look we have injured guys that needed to come out and rest because we have the Steelers next on the schedule. We did what needed to be done to make sure they could comfortably do that. I think it WAS the right call.

It was midway thru the 3rd quarter. Keep scoring!!! Anyone saying it was running up the score must have not seen the plethora of 20+ second half come backs in the last 10 years in the NFL. Screw 'em!

[quote name='Bazooka Joe' timestamp='1352672390' post='1215969']
I'm reading all of these criticisms about the fake punt for a TD and running up the score and us being classless.

I say WHATEVER! When the Texans handed us our behinds, it was "the Texans and the rest of the AFC." Yes they beat us and we beat the lowly Raiders. Who cares?

We dominated in every phase and when you play Carson Palmer whose arm can change a game quickly you hit the gas until the final second.

7-2!

Congrats RAVENS!
[/quote]

Am i the only one that was hoping Harbs wasn't going to be a B. and try and go for 70 points. Heck it was Classless of the Raiders to let us score that many points.

I hate the Pats but i like [b]Bill Belichick, he dose not care about the opposing teams. He will put his foot on their neck and then continue to jump on it. I Love that about him. Hate it when he TRIES, to do it against us.[/b]

[quote name='hawkprey' timestamp='1352683061' post='1216241']
Todd Haley next week.

Should be fun.
[/quote]

Ah yes

Who can forget him sulking as Tyrod Taylor was in and the team scored a pre-season TD

Somehow Haley got offended.
It's freaking pre-season!

I think we gave them plenty of freebee. By the 3rd quarter we already put our backups on both side of our offense and defense.

Isnt that enough?

I actually haven't seen as much criticism of that decision as I expected to. Obviously there were questions asked about it to players and coaches after the game, but I think that the Raiders playing it off sort of killed the media enthusiasm for it. You need a quote complaining about it to pair with a critical headline, and the Raiders refused to give them one. I respect them a lot for that.

As for saving the fake field goal for later, I kind of like the strategic decision to bring it out this week. In part because it really worked with the way the Raiders line up for field goals, and partially because now we force the Steelers to practice against that kind of trick play. Hopefully they'll waste valuable practice time getting ready for a fake field goal when they're already operating on a short week. It might give us more of a leg up to make them prepare for it than it would to try and use it against a disciplined team like the Steelers.

Classless is spiking the ball at an opponent. Classless is stomping on a defenseless opponent. Classless is sucker-punching an opponent. Classless is slinging profanities at an opponent's family. Classless is disrespecting an opponent verbally after the final whistle.

Playing the game within its parameters is not classless. Maintaining a lead by any legal means is not classless. If the Ravens hadn't scored a TD on a fake FG and the Raiders had come back to tie or win the game, critics would be singing a different tune.

Running up the score, especially at the professional level, isn't wrong at all. You literally play to win the game.

[quote name='Bazooka Joe' timestamp='1352672390' post='1215969']

7-2!

Congrats RAVENS!
[/quote]

Normally, I'd say it's just asking for some karma like a bad injury. Or asking for a Raider to take a cheap shot.... which then results in a retaliation from the Ravens... which ends up getting a good player suspended for the next game which happens to be the first meeting with the Steelers this year.

BUT... this is what the Ravens haven't done in a long time. It's what they needed. We have been waiting for them to DOMINATE an inferior opponent. They're been skating by winning by field goals against bad teams for a couple years now. They've played down to the opposition's level. So, they needed to prove to themselves more than anyone that they were capable of blowing a team out. Especially when that team is missing it's top two running backs, among other starters.

We all know the Ravens and Steelers games never follow how the rest of the season goes... so it's not like the Steelers will gather any useful information from any trick plays the Ravens ran this past weekend.

Steelers twice in three weeks. LOVE IT. We feast on Steelers this week, we give thanks for feasting on Steelers the following week. And we feast on Steelers again! Happy Holidays everyone!

Even the media agrees. If you do not want the score ran up then stop them. I agree and it was a very sweet Sunday and helps our team going into the toughest part of our schedule.

You can never score enough points in an NFL game. This isn't Pop Warner, so you don't have to worry about hurting the other team's feelings. If they don't like it, stop it! We would've put up close to 70 if Flacco and Co. weren't taken out of the game so early... I think putting in back-ups is even more of a slap in the face lol.

I agree completely with Steve Davis. It was fine doing it, and I didn't think it was classless. The only downside is that we could've saved it and used it later on, but now teams have it on tape, and that might be significant.

[quote name='RavensAllTheWay' timestamp='1352754918' post='1216949']
I agree completely with Steve Davis. It was fine doing it, and I didn't think it was classless. The only downside is that we could've saved it and used it later on, but now teams have it on tape, and that might be significant.
[/quote]

The Ravens have done it before. Notably 2008@Dallas and 2011vsPittsburgh; they've probably done it some other times, too.

[quote name='Fang' timestamp='1352728957' post='1216659']
Someone please explain to me how are you running up the score with 5:44 left in the 3rd quarter???
[/quote]

While I'm not going to fault the team for what they do, we were absolutely running up the score. Do I care? No. Was awesome to watch, but that's exactly what we were doing. The game was long out of reach by then.

That being said, I do kind of wish we'd saved the fake FG run. Teams aren't going to stack a side to try and block on us again.

[quote name='RavensAllTheWay' timestamp='1352754918' post='1216949']
The only downside is that we could've saved it and used it later on, but now teams have it on tape, and that might be significant.
[/quote]

Good.
That just gives them that much more that they need to prepare for and keep a watch for.
Cant keep their defense too busy now can we ?