Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DocMartin

It's Officially Steelers Week

632 posts in this topic

This is too funny:

[url="https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A7leyyFCIAAp91O.jpg"]https://pbs.twimg.co...yyFCIAAp91O.jpg[/url]

I hope Suggs gets back to form this week!

Steelers wins vs bengals, redskins, giants, and now cheifs dont look very impressive in hindsight. at the time those wins looked impressive now seeing how the giants got blown out and cinicinatti hasnt been spectacular previous to sunday and the redskins got handled by the panthers.. I feel that the steelers wins might not be due to them being so good i loved how everyone wrote us off for winning the divison last week i liked our chances with ben now without him it only gets us better odds.

I swung by Harry & David this morning and got a the really nice deluxe gift basket (the one with truffles) for Tamba Hali. I also sent Cassel a lump of coal for Christmas.

[quote name='PolishRifle' timestamp='1352816019' post='1217913']
Pete Prisco wrote in his PowerRankings:
"Nothing like the Raiders to get the confidence going. This is now an offensive team. They have to remember that when they play the Steelers this week."

First time I actually agreed with the idiot. Hopefully the Ravens figured out that having both a passing AND running game is key for us to perform well offensively. No more "ground and pound" (last Browns game) and no more "greatest show on turf" (Texans game), just strike the right balance reacting to what the opponent gives you. Flacco and Ray are enough to beat any opponent when they are on.

I also have my serious doubtsthe the Steelers are all that great. Yes, they beat the Giants, but so did the Bungles and they certainly didn't look much better than us beating the Chiefs with or without Roethlisberger and that was in the home stadium.
[/quote]

That is a good point about the Steelers having trouble in their own stadium. I think if the Chiefs were in Baltimore, we would have had a much better game.

I also agree with others here that maybe those Steeler wins should not be as impressive as everyone thinks. After they beat the Giants though, I admit I thought that was impressive but after last Sunday and the Bengals?? Maybe not so much.

I know our defense gave up 422 yards but I still liked a lot of the stops they made. They do appear to be improving IMO. Granted Palmer tripped over his foot on I think two 4th downs, but still, we had good penetration and one play we recovered the fumble. We also held the running game to 72 yards. I know McFadden was out, but 72 yards is a solid performance and really one we needed to have.

[quote name='DavidJGuyton' timestamp='1352787690' post='1217836']
I want a 100% healthy Steelers team every time we play them. I don't want Steelers fans to have any excuses.
[/quote]

Really? I hear this crap every year and it makes zero sense. Are we 100%???

[quote name='PolishRifle' timestamp='1352816019' post='1217913']
I also have my serious doubtsthe the Steelers are all that great. Yes, they beat the Giants, but so did the Bungles and [b]they certainly didn't look much better than us beating the Chiefs with or without Roethlisberger and that was in the home stadium.[/b]
[/quote]

The thing with their home stadium though is that when it rains, that field is the worst field in the league. It really doesn't provide much of a home field advantage. Everytime it rains or snows there, Pitt seems to struggle to dominate against bad teams.

So I am not going to hold a close fought game in bad conditions against them. I'm hoping for a nice day when we play them now that Ben is out.

[quote name='Purple Nurple' timestamp='1352819347' post='1217941']
Really? I hear this crap every year and it makes zero sense. Are we 100%???
[/quote]

If they can have Big Ben and Troy P. We can have Webb & Lewis back.

But exactly. Who cares if they aren't 100%. Hell we aren't even 70%. Ngata rode a bike all of last game. I'll take them as they come. Don't really care if the Steelers fans need excuses if we beat them.

[quote name='FerrariFan87' timestamp='1352816646' post='1217922']
This is too funny:

[url="https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A7leyyFCIAAp91O.jpg"]https://pbs.twimg.co...yyFCIAAp91O.jpg[/url]

I hope Suggs gets back to form this week!
[/quote]

talking about funny and ben over-reacting all the time, from the PFT week 10 rankings:
"9. Steelers: By the end of the week, [url="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1181/ben-roethlisberger"]Ben Roethlisberger[/url] will claim that doctors thought about amputating his arm."

[quote name='awholelottahaloti' timestamp='1352777428' post='1217398']
Worthlessburger is out. Shoulder.
[/quote]

Is this confirmed ? is he out and for potentially how long?

What a bad time for the Steelers to lose him with two games against us in three weeks time .

This was on Roto a few minutes ago:

[quote]According to ESPN's Ed Werder, the Steelers fear Ben Roethlisberger has sustained a "pretty significant" injury to his throwing shoulder.[/quote]

Leftwich has a hell of an arm. But his slow, telegraphing, throwing motion, plays right into Ed Reed's lap. When he starts to wind up, Reed will have plenty of time to break and make a play on the ball.

We just need to make sure Cary does draw flags. And we must focus on stopping the run. If we can't stop the run, having Roethlisberger out is lessened.

[quote name='DavidJGuyton' timestamp='1352787690' post='1217836']
I want a 100% healthy Steelers team every time we play them. I don't want Steelers fans to have any excuses.
[/quote]

When the Steelers are 100% healthy....they win...so no excuses are needed. They made they play-offs with a MASH unit on the field last year.

I think it's safe to assume Roethlisberger is out this week, and he might miss the second meeting too. We better beat them this week.

Please let Ben be out 3 weeks, please let Ben be out 3 weeks lol. Their Defense is rated in the top 5 in almost every category, we need something to win this next game. Not sure if Flacco can win this against Ben, no i know he cannot win against Big Ben. Even without him we will struggle to win. That D is very stingy. A field of Ball Hawks just waiting for Flacco to mess up and given his road average he will do just that, hand them the ball. Please NFL Gods let Ben miss the next 3 weeks.

[quote name='nextgen_RavensFan' timestamp='1352824819' post='1218038']
Please let Ben be out 3 weeks, please let Ben be out 3 weeks lol. Their Defense is rated in the top 5 in almost every category, we need something to win this next game. Not sure if Flacco can win this against Ben, no i know he cannot win against Big Ben. Even without him we will struggle to win. That D is very stingy. A field of Ball Hawks just waiting for Flacco to mess up and given his road average he will do just that, hand them the ball. Please NFL Gods let Ben miss the next 3 weeks.
[/quote]
He won it last year, when our D was overrated and their D was ranked 1st. Their pass D is horrible. Just saying....

Watching last nites game.....How is Pittsburghs offensive line not called for holding on every play? See Justin Tucks comments earlier...................

On another note injuries are a part of the game. I get tired of hearing about Steeler injuries... Someone wake me up when a Steeler fan acknowledges that the Ravens were short in the 2009 AFC Championship game with Suggs playing with one good shoulder and the Ravens [u]three [/u]best corners on IR or out among others...

this is the NFL, EVERY team has been banged up in some way at this point of the season. so what Ben is out? Ray Lewis is out! Lardarius Webb is out! so what? the steelers and the Ravens STILL have to buckle up those chin straps and play ball! NO EXCUSES!

let's go Ravens!

~Mili

You know what, this makes me sick. Steelers fans already saying that if Ben plays and we win it was because he was not 100%. Already with the excuses. I HATE steelers fans. They cry at every chance likes hines ward used to. A stadium full of little babies who try to find ways to make them losing sound unfair. Let the game at least be played first and then begin whining. Sheesh, we have to tell them how to even cry right. when i close my eyes i picture Steelers fans with pacifiers in their mouth and crying like their moms just stopped letting them suck their nipples. Grow up.

After watchingg the game last night over again the Steelers look very beatable with short drop offs and quick passes. Once w etry to go down field is where we will find trouble. So i figure if we send Rice out to the left and Flacco drops off the pass to him like the Chiefs lived off of last night you can gain some serious yardage. The STeelers D loves to hit hard and have a very good pass rush so keep the routes short and quick so Joe does not get hit all night long. I doubt we can have much success running the ball so we are going to have to win with Joe.

[quote name='nextgen_RavensFan' timestamp='1352825882' post='1218065']
[b]You know what, this makes me sick. Steelers fans already saying that if Ben plays and we win it was because he was not 100%. Already with the excuses.[/b] I HATE steelers fans. They cry at every chance likes hines ward used to. A stadium full of little babies who try to find ways to make them losing sound unfair. Let the game at least be played first and then begin whining. Sheesh, we have to tell them how to even cry right. when i close my eyes i picture Steelers fans with pacifiers in their mouth and crying like their moms just stopped letting them suck their nipples. Grow up.
[/quote]

Who cares. We'd do the same thing. Bottom line, the pressure is on us to make sure we win the game. A win is a lot better than having to make excuses.

Tomlin said something about an SC sprain in the shoulder. If anybody is interested here is a description of such an injury. It does say that its an uncommon injury which is what they were describing last night.

[quote]
[color=#B31438][font=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=5][b]Sternoclavicular (SC) joint injury[/b][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, 'Sans Serif][size=3][b]What is a sternoclavicular joint injury?[/b][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, 'Sans Serif][size=3]Sternoclavicular (SC) joint injury consists of ligament trauma to the joint connecting the breastbone [sternum] and the collarbone [clavicle]). It is an uncommon injury.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, 'Sans Serif][size=3]When a ligament is subjected to acute strain, it may either stretch or tear, partially or completely. Such tearing of a ligament is known as a sprain and ranges from microscopic injury to complete disruption. This injury can occur either at its insertion on either bone, but most commonly occurs in its mid-substance. The sprain may result in partial joint displacement (“subluxation”) or complete separation of the joint surfaces (“dislocation”). Displacement can occur either anteriorly (collarbone translates towards the front) or posteriorly (collarbone displaces towards the back).[/size][/font][/color]

[b]How does sternoclavicular joint injury occur?[/b][color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, 'Sans Serif'][size=3]
There are two common mechanisms of injury. In the first, a direct blow or landing on the side of the body can indirectly load the SC joint, leading to disruption of the ligaments around the SC joint. Examples include a side-blow in a car accident or a pile-on in a football game.[/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, 'Sans Serif'][size=3]
Less commonly, a direct force to the collarbone (clavicle) near the joint or the sternum (breast bone) can also cause joint disruption.[/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, 'Sans Serif'][size=3]
Risk of injury also increases with contact sports such as football, soccer or hockey.[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Could be a light sprain. Could be a tear.

[quote name='baroquenspirit' timestamp='1352823464' post='1218017']
When the Steelers are 100% healthy....they win...so no excuses are needed. They made they play-offs with a MASH unit on the field last year.
[/quote]

If ANY team in the NFL is 100 percent healthy...they generally win. LOL

I hate to burst your bubble, guys, but it's an SC sprain. It has nothing to do with his shoulder, and is an injury of his sternum and clavical. What does this mean? It's very, very painful but he'll get shot up and play through the pain.

[quote name='SteelersCanada' timestamp='1352828421' post='1218111']
I hate to burst your bubble, guys, but it's an SC sprain. It has nothing to do with his shoulder, and is an injury of his sternum and clavical. What does this mean? It's very, very painful but he'll get shot up and play through the pain.
[/quote]

And we'll be stuck listening to a week of "Ben's so tough" crap.

[quote name='SteelersCanada' timestamp='1352828421' post='1218111']
[/quote]

so then... Omar Epps was wrong?

I expect that Ben will play (depending on the results of his second MRI). If so, we need to get pressure on him as quick as possible. We know that Ben is great at dancing around in the pocket, and if our D-line continuously gives him 6+ seconds to throw the ball, our secondary will not be able to cover everyone.

KC also exposed a massive hole on the right side of the Steelers defense. Depending on whether or not Pitt is able to put a band-aid on that area, sending RR27 up the middle to the right should yield a very nice YPC. Ground and pound. Control the clock. Keep Ben off the field. Profit.

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1352825118' post='1218046']
He won it last year, when our D was overrated and their D was ranked 1st. Their pass D is horrible. Just saying....
[/quote]

Actually the Pitt D is ranked #1 against the pass. [url="http://www.nfl.com/stats/team"]http://www.nfl.com/stats/team[/url]

I was under the impression they were not good this season either but I heard Vinnie and Rob say otherwise on the radio a bit ago.

[quote name='H8R' timestamp='1352828937' post='1218122']
so then... Omar Epps was wrong?
[/quote]

[b]Tomlin[/b] said it's an SC sprain. He said it was a shoulder sprain by mistake, and then joked he isn't a doctor. An SC sprain is a sternum and clavical injury. Again, it's very painful but Ben has played through high ankle sprains.

I think it's time to stop listening to ESPN and start listening to local Pittsburgh media. Ryan Clark hasn't been deemed out, and he himself said he didn't have a concussion. The speculation on this site is a little ridiculous.

Steelers IR: Ben is questionable, but he'll play if his SC Sprain is mild.
Clark's "concussion" makes him questionable.
Troy is doubtful.
Brown is questionable.
Mendenhall is getting significant work and has been for some time. He's expected to suit up against you guys on Sunday.
Marcus Gilbert (starting RT) is questionable, but got significant work last week and will suit up on Sunday.

Steelers loss of Roth is a big one. With all of our injuries this is a big break for us. I think our biggest focus has to be stacking the box against the run and pressuring Leftwich. We don't have the personnel to run with Wallace so we have to force quick passes with safeties to clean up.