Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DocMartin

It's Officially Steelers Week

632 posts in this topic

With our injuries and issues on Defense and lingering inconsistency of the Offense, and with Pittsburgh seemingly getting better, we need to make improvents on both sides of the ball. I think we should make some adjustments in this upcoming game.
1) With the defensive approach of Bent But Not Break by holding Browns to 5 field goals, will not work against Pittsburgh. I hate to admit, but if we let them in the red zone 5 times, Squeelers would have score 4 TD's.
2) Our Defense has to stop giving up these 3rd down conversions, allowing opposing teams long drives.
3) Our Offense, these 3 & outs are killing us. We need to keep the chains moving, even if don't score, we cannot give Big Ben short fields over and over again.
4) Do not give up on running game if things get tough, get more creative.
Any more ideas?

[hr]

[b][size=5][color=#800080]MODERATOR NOTE[/color] - Friendly reminders for everyone:[/size][/b]

[size=5][b]STEELERS FANS: [/b]You are [u]GUESTS[/u] in our home; as guests, please be respectful and act as you would in anyone's home -- [color=#FF0000][b]THIS IS A NO-SMACK ZONE.[/b][/color][/size]

[size=5][b]RAVENS FANS: [/b]Please refrain from feeding trolls or quoting posts that violate our rules -- above all else, please hit the REPORT button when you see a clear violation.[/size]

1) I read somewhere that one of their receivers has a high ankle sprain. Can't recall which one. So if they lose one, that helps some. Their receivers will kill Cary if he plays off them.

2) I think the Steelers lead the league in 3rd conversions. With our inability to not get off the field on 3rd down, this too could be a problem for us. Also, Dwyer is a bull. He's like a younger Jerome Bettis. If we don't maintain the gaps and try to arm tackle him, it will be a long day.

3) They are definitely gelling at the right time. When the season came out, I had us splitting the series w/ them. If something doesn't change, I'm not so sure of that split.

Surprisingly we just cut Dennis Dixon from the PS. I thought we would have kept him around until after the Steelers game just for intel purposes alone. So I don't understand this move especially since he was only on the PS.

We are defiantly going to have to score more points, but that's where we will miss Webby. We don't have anyone who can run with Wallace...

[quote name='bMore Heathen' timestamp='1352323778' post='1212932']
We are defiantly going to have to score more points, but that's where we will miss Webby. We don't have anyone who can run with Wallace...
[/quote]
Put Torrey \ Jacoby \ Deonte against him.. they can't do worse than Cary \ Jimmy

We just have to out-execute them. Pitt can be run on and they can be thrown on, but if we drop balls, miss blocks, and get penalized we will likely lose.

Stopping their offense is more of a challenge IMO. Their running game has improved and they are converting 3rd dows at a ridiculous rate. Ngata and Suggs will have to have big days and our secondary cant make mistakes. I hope we will presd more often to throw off their timing and allow our pass-rush to get to Ben.

[quote name='bMore Heathen' timestamp='1352323778' post='1212932']
[/quote]
Makes me wonder, since Cary is giving everyone else 8 yard cushion, maybe he will give Wallace 15 yds on every play,!?

[quote name='DocMartin' timestamp='1352324807' post='1212946']

Makes me wonder, since Cary is giving everyone else 8 yard cushion, maybe he will give Wallace 15 yds on every play,!?
[/quote]he played Wallace brilliantly in the games last year. He was stride for stride with him from one side of the field the whole way across to he other for over seven seconds when Ben ran wild and threw an inch perfect td pass, just over Carys arm.

Run right through through the middle, gash them all day for 250 on the ground. Casey Hampton is a shell of what he used to be and Ziggy Hood is a bust. Their front 3 has become their weak point.

[quote name='757RavensFan' timestamp='1352321642' post='1212902']

Surprisingly we just cut Dennis Dixon from the PS. I thought we would have kept him around until after the Steelers game just for intel purposes alone. So I don't understand this move especially since he was only on the PS.
[/quote] Yea, and brought in another TE. What the heck? Yea, thats what we needed, another TE......Cam hasn't been using the 2 we have much, not lately anyway. How about bringing in some D or O line help? Pass rusher......pass blocker.......[i]someone [/i]other than another TE. sheesh.

[quote name='arnie_uk' timestamp='1352321713' post='1212904']
Score more points than them
[/quote]

We could allow 800 yards and Flaccos could throw 10 picks. If what you said happens I don't care. All we need to do is finish the game with more points. How we win isn't pretty but we are pulling out victories. Barely but still pulling them out. This will help the team later in the season.

[quote name='arnie_uk' timestamp='1352325509' post='1212958']
he played Wallace brilliantly in the games last year. He was stride for stride with him from one side of the field the whole way across to he other for over seven seconds when Ben ran wild and threw an inch perfect td pass, just over Carys arm.
[/quote]

But that is part of his problem! He doesn't play the ball...at all. You can run with them ll day, but if you don't turn and face, you'll just be there with a good view as he catches it.

The only way we beat the Squealers is to successfully run the ball alot,do not run the no huddle unless
its absolutely necessary to speed up the game, and get Rice,Torrey and Jones in SPACE with quick slants

Spread them out. Get in a rhythm on offense. Play action. Don't give up the run game. Play smart football. The formula is simple. Doing it is the hard part.

Dennis Pitta and Ed Dickson are vital in beating Pittsburgh. We can't just run on them, every now and then we gash them but it isn't frequent. We need to wear out those bulky line backers in coverage first.

Feed T-Sizzle some raw meat and smack him around before the game.

I keep bouncing between scared and confidant about these games.

our biggest weakness is not adapting or adjusting to the game, here's an [url="http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2012/11/5/3603694/can-play-calling-adapt-to-the-game"]article about our lack of adjustments[/url] by baltimorebeatdown.com's Raffel which basically talks about our sorry playcalling and lack of in-game adjustments.

Pressure on Big Ben would do it. He get shurried he makes mistakes. It would also allow our CB's less time to cover the receivers. Other then that we cannot stop the run nor can we cover the receivers if Ben has a lot of time so let's hope Suggs has a great day.

When you get a shot at Roethlisberger, you have to bring him down. Pressure is not enough, he has to hit the turf whether it's 4 guys rushing or 7, we've all seen him extend plays beyond belief and make throws.

[quote name='BloodRaven' timestamp='1352325573' post='1212959']
Run right through through the middle, gash them all day for 250 on the ground. Casey Hampton is a shell of what he used to be and Ziggy Hood is a bust. Their front 3 has become their weak point.
[/quote]
This. I noticed this in the last two games but they're having problems with their Dline like we are. They don't penetrate like they did when Hampton could anchor and Smith would penetrate. They are still good against the run because of how talented their LB unit is. They sub guys in on the edges that would start for us and we don't have anyone with half the athleticism of Timmons, even if Timmons doesn't display the best awareness at times.

[size=5]Let us beat the Raider's 1st and then we can be concerned with the[/size] steelers.

[quote name='Marc2k6' timestamp='1352343041' post='1213095']
[size=5]Let us beat the Raider's 1st and then we can be concerned with the[/size] steelers.
[/quote]

Agreed. With that being said, we have to stick with keeping a balanced approach meaning to never just flat out go away from the run. Not only against the Steelers but against anyone.

We need to attack the ground relentlessly until they stack the box, and then we throw in 2TEs set, 3WR set, and 4 WR set....

Short answer - Yes! But only if:

We bring our A game on all sides of the ball coupled with the Steelers bringing their C game with some starters missing, blown calls against them, etc....

Otherwise lower your expectations so you are not disappointed. I already did since I don't expect us to win more than 3 games out of the 8 remaining.... and I am a homer!

[quote name='berad' timestamp='1352335187' post='1213066']
When you get a shot at Roethlisberger, you have to bring him down. Pressure is not enough, he has to hit the turf whether it's 4 guys rushing or 7, we've all seen him extend plays beyond belief and make throws.
[/quote]
This is what scares me the most this year when we play them. His ability to extend plays, and our lack of ability to rush the passer. If he has all day to throw I don't think we stand a chance.

[quote name='BloodRaven' timestamp='1352325573' post='1212959']
[/quote]

OMG OMG REALLY?????? OMG your statement is not wroth commenting on. Can't wait for the game Guess will have to wait on which team is a shell of who they were let alone specific guys. LOLROF

[quote name='ckgeisl' timestamp='1352512581' post='1214226']
OMG OMG REALLY?????? OMG your statement is not wroth commenting on. Can't wait for the game Guess will have to wait on which team is a shell of who they were let alone specific guys. LOLROF
[/quote]
don't like it? get back to your Stealers forum then......

[/quote]
I honestly don't even think Hampton was ever that nice, Hoods still young but he's really nothing special. Our defensive line hasn't impressed this year, I'm not denying that. But no bias here, I'd still take our d-line over yours.

[/quote]

"ZOMG [i]I cant hold a conversation because you called out one of my players[/i]!!!! OMGWTHBBQSAUCE!!!!"

[quote name='Marc2k6' timestamp='1352343041' post='1213095']
[/quote]

Lol I understand the coaches telling the players this, so they won't lose their focus on this week's opponent, looking ahead... but we're not playing - there's no danger we'll overlook Oakland... ;)