624 replies to this topic

#1 DocMartin

DocMartin

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

With our injuries and issues on Defense and lingering inconsistency of the Offense, and with Pittsburgh seemingly getting better, we need to make improvents on both sides of the ball. I think we should make some adjustments in this upcoming game.
1) With the defensive approach of Bent But Not Break by holding Browns to 5 field goals, will not work against Pittsburgh. I hate to admit, but if we let them in the red zone 5 times, Squeelers would have score 4 TD's.
2) Our Defense has to stop giving up these 3rd down conversions, allowing opposing teams long drives.
3) Our Offense, these 3 & outs are killing us. We need to keep the chains moving, even if don't score, we cannot give Big Ben short fields over and over again.
4) Do not give up on running game if things get tough, get more creative.
Any more ideas?

MODERATOR NOTE - Friendly reminders for everyone:

STEELERS FANS: You are GUESTS in our home; as guests, please be respectful and act as you would in anyone's home -- THIS IS A NO-SMACK ZONE.

RAVENS FANS: Please refrain from feeding trolls or quoting posts that violate our rules -- above all else, please hit the REPORT button when you see a clear violation.

Edited by theFRANCHISE, 12 November 2012 - 03:30 AM.
Added Moderator Note

Pass interference is the worst penalty in football.

If you poke somebody's eyeball out, you get a a 15-yard penalty.

If you make "contact" with the receiver, it could be 60 yards

(70 yards if you have QB Joe Flacco) and an automatic 1st down.

Makes a lot of sense.

Welcome to the new NFL.

#2 757RavensFan

757RavensFan

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

1) I read somewhere that one of their receivers has a high ankle sprain. Can't recall which one. So if they lose one, that helps some. Their receivers will kill Cary if he plays off them.

2) I think the Steelers lead the league in 3rd conversions. With our inability to not get off the field on 3rd down, this too could be a problem for us. Also, Dwyer is a bull. He's like a younger Jerome Bettis. If we don't maintain the gaps and try to arm tackle him, it will be a long day.

3) They are definitely gelling at the right time. When the season came out, I had us splitting the series w/ them. If something doesn't change, I'm not so sure of that split.

Surprisingly we just cut Dennis Dixon from the PS. I thought we would have kept him around until after the Steelers game just for intel purposes alone. So I don't understand this move especially since he was only on the PS.

#3 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,966 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

Score more points than them

#4 bMore Heathen

bMore Heathen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

We are defiantly going to have to score more points, but that's where we will miss Webby. We don't have anyone who can run with Wallace...

Edited by bMore Heathen, 07 November 2012 - 04:30 PM.

#5 BenMir

BenMir

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

We are defiantly going to have to score more points, but that's where we will miss Webby. We don't have anyone who can run with Wallace...

Put Torrey \ Jacoby \ Deonte against him.. they can't do worse than Cary \ Jimmy

#6 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,812 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

We just have to out-execute them. Pitt can be run on and they can be thrown on, but if we drop balls, miss blocks, and get penalized we will likely lose.

Stopping their offense is more of a challenge IMO. Their running game has improved and they are converting 3rd dows at a ridiculous rate. Ngata and Suggs will have to have big days and our secondary cant make mistakes. I hope we will presd more often to throw off their timing and allow our pass-rush to get to Ben.

Edited by gabefergy, 07 November 2012 - 04:46 PM.

@gabefergy

#7 DocMartin

DocMartin

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

Makes me wonder, since Cary is giving everyone else 8 yard cushion, maybe he will give Wallace 15 yds on every play,!?
Pass interference is the worst penalty in football.

If you poke somebody's eyeball out, you get a a 15-yard penalty.

If you make "contact" with the receiver, it could be 60 yards

(70 yards if you have QB Joe Flacco) and an automatic 1st down.

Makes a lot of sense.

Welcome to the new NFL.

#8 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,966 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

Makes me wonder, since Cary is giving everyone else 8 yard cushion, maybe he will give Wallace 15 yds on every play,!?

he played Wallace brilliantly in the games last year. He was stride for stride with him from one side of the field the whole way across to he other for over seven seconds when Ben ran wild and threw an inch perfect td pass, just over Carys arm.

#9 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

Run right through through the middle, gash them all day for 250 on the ground. Casey Hampton is a shell of what he used to be and Ziggy Hood is a bust. Their front 3 has become their weak point.

#10 poescrows

poescrows

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

Surprisingly we just cut Dennis Dixon from the PS. I thought we would have kept him around until after the Steelers game just for intel purposes alone. So I don't understand this move especially since he was only on the PS.

Yea, and brought in another TE. What the heck? Yea, thats what we needed, another TE......Cam hasn't been using the 2 we have much, not lately anyway. How about bringing in some D or O line help? Pass rusher......pass blocker.......someone other than another TE. sheesh.
Hey Steeler fans......we now have 2 rings. One for each middle finger! TADA GAN IARRACHT

#11 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,547 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:35 PM

Score more points than them

We could allow 800 yards and Flaccos could throw 10 picks. If what you said happens I don't care. All we need to do is finish the game with more points. How we win isn't pretty but we are pulling out victories. Barely but still pulling them out. This will help the team later in the season.

#12 Mick0311

Mick0311

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

he played Wallace brilliantly in the games last year. He was stride for stride with him from one side of the field the whole way across to he other for over seven seconds when Ben ran wild and threw an inch perfect td pass, just over Carys arm.

But that is part of his problem! He doesn't play the ball...at all. You can run with them ll day, but if you don't turn and face, you'll just be there with a good view as he catches it.

#13 jimmypowder

jimmypowder

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

The only way we beat the Squealers is to successfully run the ball alot,do not run the no huddle unless
its absolutely necessary to speed up the game, and get Rice,Torrey and Jones in SPACE with quick slants

#14 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,222 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

Spread them out. Get in a rhythm on offense. Play action. Don't give up the run game. Play smart football. The formula is simple. Doing it is the hard part.

#15 CalvinSmoke

CalvinSmoke

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

Dennis Pitta and Ed Dickson are vital in beating Pittsburgh. We can't just run on them, every now and then we gash them but it isn't frequent. We need to wear out those bulky line backers in coverage first.

z66oxxi.jpg

#16 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

Feed T-Sizzle some raw meat and smack him around before the game.

I keep bouncing between scared and confidant about these games.
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#17 omar586

omar586

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

our biggest weakness is not adapting or adjusting to the game, here's an article about our lack of adjustments by baltimorebeatdown.com's Raffel which basically talks about our sorry playcalling and lack of in-game adjustments.

Edited by omar586, 07 November 2012 - 07:06 PM.

#18 nextgen_RavensFan

nextgen_RavensFan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

Pressure on Big Ben would do it. He get shurried he makes mistakes. It would also allow our CB's less time to cover the receivers. Other then that we cannot stop the run nor can we cover the receivers if Ben has a lot of time so let's hope Suggs has a great day.
This spot reserved for Super Bowl celebratory images !!

#19 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,393 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

When you get a shot at Roethlisberger, you have to bring him down. Pressure is not enough, he has to hit the turf whether it's 4 guys rushing or 7, we've all seen him extend plays beyond belief and make throws.
a9skd1.jpg

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#20 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,762 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:39 PM

Run right through through the middle, gash them all day for 250 on the ground. Casey Hampton is a shell of what he used to be and Ziggy Hood is a bust. Their front 3 has become their weak point.

This. I noticed this in the last two games but they're having problems with their Dline like we are. They don't penetrate like they did when Hampton could anchor and Smith would penetrate. They are still good against the run because of how talented their LB unit is. They sub guys in on the edges that would start for us and we don't have anyone with half the athleticism of Timmons, even if Timmons doesn't display the best awareness at times.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users