MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:39 PM

I thought I'd make a topic on Ellerbe.

http://www.baltimore...fc-8ac998061ee7

http://www.baltimore...f6-3e4717ea05ea

I read the first article first, talking about how he was fined for his big hit last Sunday. Then I read the second one. Garrett Downing talked about how Ellerbe is improving his game this season.

Personally, I agree, and I feel that Ellerbe has quietly picked it up since Ray went out. The things that Garrett had to say were very encouraging in my opinion, like the increase in tackles and sacks. One thing Garrett didn't mention that I've noticed is that I think his coverage has improved these last two games. Call me crazy, but I feel like I've been seeing him in the right position more and more when a ball is thrown his way, and sometimes he's forced the incompletion while others he's given up a catch in tight coverage. I think he's been doing better than credited for since Ray's injury.

However, his rookie contract expires at the end of this season. Whether or not we bring him back remains to be seen. But the scary part to me is that according to the article, Ellerbe himself said that since this is his contract year, he needs to step it up., and before that, Harbs said that he is progressing in the mental and professional parts of the game, which instantly reminded me of his pick 6 in the preseason a few years ago, where he held the ball out in front too soon, and Harbs lit into him on the sidelines after the play. We all thought that Ellerbe had been put in the dog house as a result.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but does anyone else get the idea that maybe an extension for Ellerbe in the offseason would decrease his motivation a little bit, and we (or whoever signs him) may end up getting ripped off? He's probably our best ILB right now considering that Ray is out and potentially done for good (scary thought), but if he signs an extension here, let's hope he doesn't lose that edge.

#2 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

It's always a risk but we can't afford not try and re-sign him, he's been one of our few bright spots this year. But you never know, he might still hold a grudge for the two years he spent in the doghouse behind McClain (who I've always said was less talented) and prefer to test free agency waters.

The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.

#3 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,143 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:38 PM

I dont know why everyone always seems to think that giving players a new contract means a loss of motivation. That doesnt happen in the NFL. No contracts are guaranteed and if you dont play well you get benched or cut.

Ellerbe has played well this year, but he is still overmatched when it comes to man to man coverage. Still I think we should try to bring him back at a rate similar to what Jameel got. I also think we will likely draft an ILB, but Ellerbe has potential to be a very good LB for us.

@gabefergy

#4 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,971 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

I've liked Ellerbe since I first saw him play. I think his only problems were injuries and his immaturity. He's becoming a student of the game and already had the physical part down.

#5 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

Ellerbe is streaky.

HIs been injured alot for a young guy and when his hot, his good. When his not, he dissapears.

His been showing more consistency lately, but i've yet to see him play productively on consistent basis.

With his contract year on the line, he looks like his playing hard. He has to keep staying productive to see any contract from Ravens.

#6 jimmypowder

jimmypowder

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

Ellerbe is the most talented linebacker on the team with the exception obviously of Sizzle .

The problem is he has been in Harbaugh's doghouse for most of Harbaugh's tenure here .

Right now McKinnie is in the doghouse when our Oline might be better with him at LT and
Oher at RT .

When you get in Harbaugh's doghouse it's difficult to get out no matter what your talent level is .

#7 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,692 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:15 PM

Ellerbe is the most talented linebacker on the team with the exception obviously of Sizzle .

The problem is he has been in Harbaugh's doghouse for most of Harbaugh's tenure here .

Right now McKinnie is in the doghouse when our Oline might be better with him at LT and
Oher at RT .

When you get in Harbaugh's doghouse it's difficult to get out no matter what your talent level is .

Pass protection maybe, definitely not in run blocking with McKinnie though. Not even close, he's not even on Osemele's level as a run blocker and Osemele is a rookie.

#8 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,143 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:48 PM

Oher at RT .

This isnt even close to being true.

@gabefergy

#9 jimmypowder

jimmypowder

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

Harbaugh's doghouse is the genuine article

#10 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,143 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:29 PM

Harbaugh's doghouse is the genuine article

Ellerbe has been on the field a lot...not in some imaginary doghouse.

@gabefergy

#11 jimmypowder

jimmypowder

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

Ellerbe has been on the field a lot...not in some imaginary doghouse.

I'm talking the last few years . Yeah he's been injured but there is credence to the rumors
he has been in the doghouse over the years , not this year .

#12 Brandon22

Brandon22

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

I thought I'd make a topic on Ellerbe.

http://www.baltimore...fc-8ac998061ee7

http://www.baltimore...f6-3e4717ea05ea

I read the first article first, talking about how he was fined for his big hit last Sunday. Then I read the second one. Garrett Downing talked about how Ellerbe is improving his game this season.

Personally, I agree, and I feel that Ellerbe has quietly picked it up since Ray went out. The things that Garrett had to say were very encouraging in my opinion, like the increase in tackles and sacks. One thing Garrett didn't mention that I've noticed is that I think his coverage has improved these last two games. Call me crazy, but I feel like I've been seeing him in the right position more and more when a ball is thrown his way, and sometimes he's forced the incompletion while others he's given up a catch in tight coverage. I think he's been doing better than credited for since Ray's injury.

However, his rookie contract expires at the end of this season. Whether or not we bring him back remains to be seen. But the scary part to me is that according to the article, Ellerbe himself said that since this is his contract year, he needs to step it up., and before that, Harbs said that he is progressing in the mental and professional parts of the game, which instantly reminded me of his pick 6 in the preseason a few years ago, where he held the ball out in front too soon, and Harbs lit into him on the sidelines after the play. We all thought that Ellerbe had been put in the dog house as a result.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but does anyone else get the idea that maybe an extension for Ellerbe in the offseason would decrease his motivation a little bit, and we (or whoever signs him) may end up getting ripped off? He's probably our best ILB right now considering that Ray is out and potentially done for good (scary thought), but if he signs an extension here, let's hope he doesn't lose that edge.

We have Nigel Carr who is Faster and has more abilities 2 get to the QB
"Its not about how hard you can hit, its about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward, how much you can take and keep moving forward!...thats how winning is done!"-Rocky
- Baltimore Ravens Message board First Hall of Famer

#13 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,777 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

Upshaw, Carr, Kindle, Bynes are all more or equally as talented

#14 jimmypowder

jimmypowder

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

Nah Upshaw will be better eventually . Forget about the Rest of your group IMO.
Kindle ? really

#15 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

\

No way lol

Ellerbe is the better out of all of them.

Upshaw as a rookie is doing 'ok', but havent really exceeded anyone's expectation.

Kindle is done. Carr is a p.s. Bynes is a p.s.

Not much else.

#16 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,777 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

Nah Upshaw will be better eventually . Forget about the Rest of your group IMO.
Kindle ? really

Before his injury, yeah...... He would've been one hell of a LB

#17 nk02442

nk02442

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:14 AM

Oher at RT .

100% true. Harbs is a big reason this team is not playing to its full ability. 59 was KILLING it last year/2 years ago and all of a sudden hes scratched from games and isint playing. He is a better backer than mclain and is the best coverage backer we have.

#18 BMORE_96

BMORE_96

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:15 AM

Have to agree with jimmy powder. Ellerbe has been our best inside linebacker this year. If not for harbs, he'd have much more experience and perhaps would be a budding star. But of course, the coaching staff is unable to foster the available talent on the roster(CAM).

#19 -Truth-

-Truth-

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,176 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:43 AM

100% true. Harbs is a big reason this team is not playing to its full ability. 59 was KILLING it last year/2 years ago and all of a sudden hes scratched from games and isint playing. He is a better backer than mclain and is the best coverage backer we have.

Ellerbe's fared well in coverage in recent weeks, and I hope to see this trend continue. He's been very solid in every facet lately. But he was horrid in coverage before then, dating to the beginning of last year. I've thrown these numbers around before, but in the 18 games we've played last season and in the first 6 of this one, he allowed 36 receptions on 41 targets, 444 yards and a QB rating of 119.9. Not the most stellar numbers.

Posted Image

#20 jazz1988

jazz1988

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:45 AM

It's always a risk but we can't afford not try and re-sign him, he's been one of our few bright spots this year. But you never know, he might still hold a grudge for the two years he spent in the doghouse behind McClain (who I've always said was less talented) and prefer to test free agency waters.

Honestly if anything he should thank Harbuagh for being put in the dog house because if not I m not sure if he would be this good as he is now. Ellerbe definately had the talent but his immaturity / lack of focus was holding him back and now he seems alot more mature & focus atleast on the field

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users