Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Ravens Want Jacoby Jones More Involved On Offense

44 posts in this topic

The Ravens could use more of a rotation at wide receiver in the coming weeks.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Ravens-Want-Jacoby-Jones-More-Involved-On-Offense/dfae07b9-ecf1-422a-879f-c53642ec2430]View the full article[/url]

Does this mean D. Reed will be returning kicks some of the time? How does he fit in the picture? And Laquan?

I like the idea of rotating receivers in and out, but it (at times) seems as though Joe lacks a rapport with the receivers out there for all of the offensive snaps. Lack of communication, not being on the same page, getting rushed by blitzers, whatever, it seems to be a problem. Don't know if more targets really helps those issues...

YEa... Cam wanteed to get Stallworth and TJ and Lee Evans more involved... this is an issue every year.... One common denomiator!

So far we want Ray Rice, Vonta Leach, Bernard Pierce, both tight ends, and now Jacoby more involved. How many offensive plays are we going to run each week?

[quote name='Moderator 3' timestamp='1352484585' post='1213980']
So far we want Ray Rice, Vonta Leach, Bernard Pierce, both tight ends, and now Jacoby more involved. How many offensive plays are we going to run each week?
[/quote]

Hopefully more than we ran last week? Especially in the third quarter. I understand the philosophy behind spreading the ball around - it makes the defense wonder what's going to happen next as opposed to jumping routes. I just wonder how well it will be executed.

Ok ok ok now everyone wants to get more involved. Who's next? Torrey hasn't been so hot lately, maybe he should have an article on him too.

I'm glad that everyone is raising their hand, though, and not just shouting out "Gimme!"

But with all these different touches, someone would lose touches. Rice? Hope not.

Flacco, Cam? Help wanted.

IDK.... The Patriots spread the ball... infact on any given week they will have 7 or8 receivers involved
the Packers are about the same... same as the Saints and Falcons...

even teams that run the ball well... The Sqeelers... the Vikings, the Giants, the Skins, the Eagles, those teams seem to have no problems finding ways to get all of their weapons involved in the offense.

THe Sqeelers have had a 100 yard RB for 3 straight weeks and yet... have completed passes to Wallace, Borwn, Sandes, H. Miller, Rainey, Johnson Cotchery and the RBs

Every team has their go to guys! and they shuold but if that means their is no room to utilize different weapons.... we are in trouble!

Boldin and Torrey will be our go to guys in the passing game (even Rice for that matter)
but to give Joe some extra options with Jacoby, Doss, Quann, Pitta,Dickson or Leach should not be a problem.

Infact most offensive coordinators see this as a luxury... only Cam makes it a problem!

We want to see more everybody.....

Question, without being took the wrong way:

Who's slow? The front office for keeping Cam or Flacco because Cam is giving him all he can handle?

You would think by now anyone over Cam would shut him down if the fans are accurate about his play calling. But the one guy we can't shutdown is the guy we have no replacement for. So I ask is the irreplaceable one really the slow one? Get it together.

I really dont think that it is Flacco... for several reasons.
1. he has the tools
2. we have added weapons every season and cant find a way to utilize them thats not Joes fault
3. If we knew that Joe cant handle much... and wasnt what he was billed to be... why didnt we draft another QB or pick up a veteran FA.
(luck, rgIII, tannnahill, weeden, russell wilson, brock osweiler, nic foles, kirk cousins and ryan lindley are all rookies taken this season who can play)

4. we decided to go with out any proven back up behind Flacco (demonstrating our FO faith n Joe)

5. Joe seems to have gotten a little better evey year and yet we seem to have the same lack of consistency on offense every year

6. We moved t a no huddle and added weapons... we dont do that with a QB who we think can handle more responsiblity

7.Joe is not the person who makes our offense predictable

8. Joe is not the one who fogets to run Rice from time to time
9. we wouldnt play the long ball so much if we though it was Joe... we would stick the the safe and higher % passing game

10. and finally- if it were Joe and not Cam.... we would franchise tag him at the end of this season!

It is clearly Cam... but I dont have an answer to why we dont do anything about it... the only thing that I can figure is Harbs loyalty bc of Cams affilation with Jack Harbaugh.... IDK????

10 is supposed to say that wse would NOT franchise Joe at the end of this season... and that is clearly what Joe is headed for...

You dont designate (someone you have no faith in) your franchise player!

[quote name='steelcityraven' timestamp='1352488430' post='1214017']
I really dont think that it is Flacco... for several reasons.
1. he has the tools
2. we have added weapons every season and cant find a way to utilize them thats not Joes fault
3. If we knew that Joe cant handle much... and wasnt what he was billed to be... why didnt we draft another QB or pick up a veteran FA.
(luck, rgIII, tannnahill, weeden, russell wilson, brock osweiler, nic foles, kirk cousins and ryan lindley are all rookies taken this season who can play)

4. we decided to go with out any proven back up behind Flacco (demonstrating our FO faith n Joe)

5. Joe seems to have gotten a little better evey year and yet we seem to have the same lack of consistency on offense every year

6. We moved t a no huddle and added weapons... we dont do that with a QB who we think can handle more responsiblity

7.Joe is not the person who makes our offense predictable

8. Joe is not the one who fogets to run Rice from time to time
9. we wouldnt play the long ball so much if we though it was Joe... we would stick the the safe and higher % passing game

10. and finally- if it were Joe and not Cam.... we would franchise tag him at the end of this season!

It is clearly Cam... but I dont have an answer to why we dont do anything about it... the only thing that I can figure is Harbs loyalty bc of Cams affilation with Jack Harbaugh.... IDK????
[/quote]

Most of these seem like re-statements of the same reason...

@steelcityraven

1. agreed
2. Doesn't make much sense, because we have weapons and can't use them seem to be the QB's problem and OC's
3. Didn't know before drafting him and Matt Ryan was already gone, no one better was left.
4. All the proven guys in FA was bums, Bulger was the real deal until he retired.
5. Joe didn't seem to get better our weapons did, his rating dropped when he stopped checking down.
6. WE moved to no-huddle because he's a shotgun QB
7. Nor is he the one who extends plays
8. Sometimes Joe checks out of running plays which is the same as forgetting to run Rice.
9. Joe's arm is a monster, so of course we play the deep ball.
10. Why tag him and give him more than a new contract would give him that same year.
Thanks for addressing the question though.

[quote name='steelcityraven' timestamp='1352483935' post='1213969']
YEa... Cam wanteed to get Stallworth and TJ and Lee Evans more involved... this is an issue every year.... One common denomiator!
[/quote]

Right on point. If I was a vet. wide receiver I would not even think of coming to Baltimore. Boldin's career is ruined. Thank you Cam.

Yea I think we need new blood at OC too, but it's not a common denominator until you divide Cam and Flacco to see who's the denominator.

Joe was so productive when Jacoby was a factor since then they both kinda tailed off they need to start giving him the ball more

Here we go again we these same arguments throughout our season about how someone else needs to get abck involved. I just want to know why they were raken out of the equation in the first place. Why does it always seem like our offense is beind the learning curve? So many other teams are successfully doing what we keep on proposing but why is it continually so hard for us? Im sorry but being that this problem keeps going on and on tells me that is has to be Cam. How else can you justify that same consistent problems?

Sorry Jacoby, even though you started out the year hot and we got you to be another burner on the opposite side of Torrey, you are just not part of Cam's genius elaborate plan.

I don't understand why we can't have a TE on the field with any number of WR's at the same time to open up the offense and find the right match up.I see other teams make adjustments based on what the defense gives them.So, why is it sooooo hard for this offense to do the same,makes no sense to me at all.

There is no way Caldwell will be our QB coach... Either he replaces cam cam or he will split and be OC somewhere else. I think it's evident that we will replace Cam...unless we win a SB.

[quote name='Brianj52' timestamp='1352495489' post='1214108']
There is no way Caldwell will be our QB coach... Either he replaces cam cam or he will split and be OC somewhere else. I think it's evident that we will replace Cam...unless we win a SB.
[/quote] What if we win the SB AND get rid of cam? Talk about a double victory!

Hey, one can dream, right?

When you say "Head Coach John Harbaugh and Offensive Coordinator Cam Cameron both said this week they would like to get the speedy wideout more involved in the offense again",.... uhhh, who makes that happen?

So, now, if history is any gauge, Jacoby Jones gets 25 passes and Ray Rice gets 9 carries!

I say again, no rhyme nor reason to Cam's game calling!

We brought Caldwell in... He has proven to be able to run an effective offense. He has the experience and definitely couldnt do worse!

I say give Caldwell a shot.... if things dont improve then atleast we know to look for a QB in FA / Trade / or Draft instead of signing Flacco to a bid contract at the end f season!

But THB I really think that if Caldwell took over-we would find out that Joe is a legit NFL QB!

[quote name='Bravens292' timestamp='1352498336' post='1214133']
thats nice cam but how about YOU be less involved in the offense
[/quote] Is that a picture of cam you're using?

"Head Coach John Harbaugh and Offensive Coordinator Cam Cameron both said this week they would like to get the speedy wideout more involved in the offense again."...this is an asinine comment from the coaches. Take some responsibility, you 2 have excluded him from the offense.

he was breaking out early this season having some crucial big plays and TDs, like how he dominated the Eagles game but they took away one of em -__- (I'm still salty about that)

Wait? Are we really calling this a newsflash? Wasn't this the case in 2010 when we had Donte and TJ?

And isn't this the case this year for Ray Rice, and both tight ends? Somethings never change...especially in Baltimore. How many times have we talked about utilizing ALL of our talent.

Surprise surprise...now what.

Every week, there should only be 1 person who isn't getting into the action, because there is no way that any teams defensive game plan should take away 1) a running back 2) a wide receiver 3) both tight ends. No way any defense should be able to do that unless you're the 2000 Ravens or the 2001 Bucaneers

Its just "HARD" trying to give everybody "A Piece Of The Rock"! Throw Jacoby at the squeeler's, their secondary cant handle the Ravens "ANYMORE"!

Cam needs to forget about egos and just use all these weapons. right now our offense is really predictable but the no huddle is somewhat shadowing it. i mean our offense is terrible on the road and this may be one of the many reasons why... I hear Caldwell was an innovative coach at indy

Its amazing how the coaches act like they have no idea who plays and how much time people get. They call the dang plays. Oh we are surprised so and so didnt get more touches or I am surprised this player got that many snaps. Come on man, this is crazy. Jacoby didnt get more touches becuase you didnt call the plays to get him in there. If we sit down and game plan and discuss it with each other, how are these things surprising....really

I wonder if a consistent rotation would be efficient in the NFL. I don't know, I just watch the Ravens. But I know everyone screams every week to get a certain person involved. For example, Ray Rice. That's understandable because we need a running game, and then Bernard Pierce, good because we don't want to completely deplete Ray Rice. Now everyone is saying a consisten offensive passing attack includes three receivers. And that the tight ends are what we need to get more involved on Zone schemes and 3rd downs. If that's the case, let's do it. Or is that easy to predict for the opposing defenses? What's with the offensive coordinator being so "Bland" as everyone says. What's the truth?! I can't handle the truth! Yes I can.

Really? How can we be entering week 10 and not know who we are or who we want to be? In your base 3 receiver set you simply choose Leach or Pitta. Dickson is low man on the depth chart and a receiving TE.

Is it me, or does this sound like two years ago when Cam suggested rotating Mason, Housh & company?

Dickson needs to be cut, I've witnessed him drop more passes than he's caught. Secondly, has anyone else noticed how bady Cameron is at disguising his plays? He lines up in a bunch formation, which looks for all the world like a run, then what does he do ... hands it off to Rice and the play gets stuffed. Or, when he absolutely has to throw, or even when he just simply wants to throw, he spreads out 3 of 4 wide, and doesn't even attempt play-action or a flee-flicker in order to keep the defense unbalanced. Hopefully this man's time with the Ravens is limited.